A Spirited Perfect Ten

PhotoDave219

The distribution probably looks something like this, based on a quick 110-sample analysis:

45% of the time you'll wait under 15 minutes.
25% of the time you'll wait 15-20 minutes.
25% of the time you'll wait 20-30 minutes.
5% of the time you'll wait more than 30 minutes.

So 70% of the time, your wait will be less than or about what Disney says ("Every 20 minutes.") 5% of the time, it'll be substantially worse.

The thing to realize is that 5% bad experiences for a huge number of visitors, is still a large number of unhappy people.

I think Disney's bus service improvements is one of the unheralded corporate achievements they've done over the last couple of years.

Thanks. I don't mean to drag you into this, but you're the *ONLY ONE* who has done any independent research at WDW.

twebber55

Reread my post... I agree politician demand test scores because the union lead system was killing the system.

Education $ need to be spent on the kids not admins and then they need to be held accountable that kids get smarter.... The system as set up puts to much on testing... the system before had none on testing... Neither are good.
In our system 1% of the budget is admin
Most budgets are teacher pay and benefits and we don't get near the pay that other parts of the country

TalkingHead

He is a great voice that is for sure but big time people leave ESPN all the time... Not the first not the last.... Some come back some leave for good. Look at Keith Olbermain and Dan Patrick... Prob two of the biggest stars in Espn history....

Sure, ESPN "stars" have left before, but the examples you cited aren't analogous to Simmons. Olbermann and Patrick were anchors primarily (exclusively?) restricted to Sportscenter, a show that has cycled talent throughout the years.

Simmons has a much wider reach online and probably a more devoted fanbase. I don't know how you quantify it, but ESPN will lose some amount of viewership by losing him. If he goes to Fox or Bleacher Report or wherever, an audience will follow him that won't be spending as much time with ESPN.

More importantly, I wonder why Simmons' brand of controversy (supposedly his criticisms of Roger Goodell precipitated ESPN's decision not to renew his contract) is unacceptable at ESPN while the Bayless and Smith version of "debate" is welcomed by the network. I know I find the latter far more grating, staged, and tiresome. I guess it's a further sign that ESPN wants to offer live sports and scripted commentary packages that, taken together, create social media narratives that double as soap operas for manly sports fans.

Obviously, ESPN will continue to do great numbers, but in the end, it's just another instance of a Disney fiefdom making a questionable business move.

rael ramone

If you are a family taking a once in a year or once in four year visit to WDW for one week, then I just don't get how you can possibly relax. I know many people don't. I've read countless posts from folks who stay at a monorail resort and in a week NEVER use the pool or jacuzzi or work out room or just sit at the bar having a drink. They are in the room for 6-8 hours a day/night to sleep and shower and on the go the rest of the time. For that, I absolutely think they're insane for spending $500 a night when they could be spending $100 (or less) a night because they are getting nothing but location (and those resorts are ONLY convenient for MK and semi-convenient for EPCOT ... everywhere else is bus only and not close by).

But I'll enjoy my time this summer at theme parks far away from Central Florida ... and in some National Parks as well. Those will all be relaxing. WDW or UNI in summer? Um .... nope, nothing good to say!

AKL (Jambo house w/ Arusha savanna view) is very much worth it for a long weekend - if you spend the whole time at the resort (w/ a walk over to Kidani for the views/artifacts there and Sanaa). Walk the whole inside and enjoy both all the great viewpoints all over the resort (every external staircase by a savanna for instance) as well as the great African artifacts & cultural displays. Use the pool & health club. Eat at all the great restaurants there (and get an African stew at Mara - as well as extra Zebra Domes for the room). And definitely do the nightly 'Cultural Safari' where a cast member from Africa talks about their homeland. And for 2-3 days pretend the parks don't exist.

During my 'Magic sabattical' did a quick trip to the other coast (mostly to see family, but did my offerings of one day to the Mouse). Pretty good quick serve at Bengal BBQ (surprisingly good grilled veg), and a GREAT counter service Mexican over at DCA. Cleanliness was superior to the left coast, but still not up to Walt standards. (Though tough to get mad about anything after a visit to the Japanese American Museum. Seeing the stuff there about the 'Internment' puts everything else in perspective - I was borderline ready to cry seeing all the stuff there about it).

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
How bout educators
And administrators

And parents, i.e., all those with a vested interest in the education of our children. But once they are elected, then they become politicians who worry about being re-elected, getting campaign contributions, etc.

So the model would be an appointed school board? But who appoints? The governor? Politics will intrude again.

It really comes down to the voters not shirking their responsibility as voters and informing themselves about how the schools are run, issues and the candidates themselves. And parents not abdicating their responsibilities as parents and expecting the schools to raise their kids. And threatening to sue when the overwhelmed school does something they don't like. I saw this when I was a Girl Scout troop leader. The number of parents who thought I was a weekend babysitter for their child made me angry - and I let one father know it was not MY responsibility nor my assistant troop leader's responsibility to take care of his child on the weekend we had our monthly Saturday meeting. And at the other end of the spectrum, you have the helicopter parent who is overly involved in their child's life and basically lives the child's life for them.

Things were so much simpler when I was a kid....

Mike S

Please, can we limit the discussion to Disney?
image.jpg

twebber55

And parents, i.e., all those with a vested interest in the education of our children. But once they are elected, then they become politicians who worry about being re-elected, getting campaign contributions, etc.

So the model would be an appointed school board? But who appoints? The governor? Politics will intrude again.

It really comes down to the voters not shirking their responsibility as voters and informing themselves about how the schools are run, issues and the candidates themselves. And parents not abdicating their responsibilities as parents and expecting the schools to raise their kids. And threatening to sue when the overwhelmed school does something they don't like. I saw this when I was a Girl Scout troop leader. The number of parents who thought I was a weekend babysitter for their child made me angry - and I let one father know it was not MY responsibility nor my assistant troop leader's responsibility to take care of his child on the weekend we had our monthly Saturday meeting. And at the other end of the spectrum, you have the helicopter parent who is overly involved in their child's life and basically lives the child's life for them.

Things were so much simpler when I was a kid....
Ill PM you since this is off topic

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Would that not mean the Union would be making the decisions?

Common Core is to much about test scores but the idea was right how do you hold the education system accountable for the quality of the education they give? The issue with they system today is that the system then only worried about getting a test score! And education is so much more then test!

It also has changed the speed that kids learn things. Todays kids should not be learning a little bit of everything all year! They should become masters at one area and then move on to the next. Fractions is the perfect example... My kids go to the #1 district in the state but even they are learning some fractions some long division some algebra some geometry all at once and not enough time is being spent on learning any of it complete.

Just enough to get a damn test score.

The initial concept of Common Core was to insure that children graduating from a public high school in the United States had the same level of competency and knowledge in the important areas - math, science, reading, writing, history, etc. Which I agree with. Unfortunately, due to certain groups, the idea of Common Core has been mangled.

Agree, the idea that one single test will be used to evaluate everything - student progress, teacher competency and pay, funding for the next year for the school, etc. - is insane. And those states which adopted such a measure, like Florida, are now backing away. As a matter of fact, several school superintendents are suing the state so the state won't release the school scores since the latest version of the FCAT was messed up by our wonderful Legislature.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom