A Spirited Perfect Ten

tribbleorlfl

Time for another caption contest.....

CFBFGFBWMAEV9bz.jpg
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFBFGFBWMAEV9bz.jpg
Creepy.

ElBriMan

It's unfortunate that Disney has now lost a guest forever. I was staying at the Hyatt in San Francisco back in 2006 - got a knock on the door. It was the head of housekeeping with the housekeeper who serviced our room the previous day. He said that she noticed the pillow top mattress cover wasn't as fluffy as it should be and they were there to replace it. And he apologized for it not being up to par. I was gobsmacked and told him I hadn't even noticed. And let them in to change it. The cost of the same room at that hotel today? Cheaper than a full rack rate room at the GF. The GF doesn't have pillow top mattress covers on their beds - oh, god I wish they did.

I still have an AP, as does my wife. We usually do Disney for 4th of July because those are spectacular fireworks, and we may do it again this year. We're not writing-off Disney as whole, just feel that our money can be spent more wisely off-site when we choose our hotel.

rael ramone

As to Chefs de France (is that the topic here?), I haven't dined here in at least five years. But it once was a regular (i.e multiple times a year) locale for a Spirited meal. The quality went waaaay down from say the early 90s to the early 00s. Then, came the DDP and the infamous year when they removed the $26 filet from the dinner menu and added a $25 hamburger in its place (seriously!) during the 'free' period. After that, I only dined here once for a full meal (on a CM friend's 50% off meal coupon) and a few other times for onion soup, a glass of wine and a great dessert.

I meal I used to get there every time (duck breast & confit w/ sweet potato & [usually] haricot verts) used to be great. Last 2 times (and definitely the last 2 times I'll go there for dinner) it tasted like hospital food. (I was going to have a picture of that meal with 'Fix Me' on it but I don't know how to photoshop so we'll just have to settle for a picture of rizzo every time I post). 2nd time I sent it back and got a more palatable meal.

The onion soup is in the old cookbooks (with a mixture of beef & chicken stock). IIRC relatively simple to make at home (all Disney recipes seem to be - but that doesn't mean that a lot of the old ones aren't pretty good to even great).... though I still prefer Anthony Bourdains soup - but substituting the roasted chicken stock he calls for for homemade roasted duck stock...

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Education is the same way
Politicians who are clueless making important decisions

Someone has to make those decisions. Who would you suggest? Those individuals sitting on district school boards are typically elected officials, many with little or no relevant experience in education. At least that's the majority of the people on my school district's board.

TalkingHead

Since ESPN's dealings come up in this thread periodically, I'm surprised there wasn't more discussion of the de facto firing of Bill Simmons. Whether you love him or hate him (or ambivalently follow his work), there's no question that he was one of the ESPN personalities who made the Worldwide Leader more interesting (and not "interesting" in a Skip Bayless, et al. type of way).

Evidently, SI reported today that Simmons won't be seen again on any ESPN platforms including Grantland even though his contract doesn't expire until September (I think that's the month).

One might be tempted to say that ESPN mismanaged this situation and lost a major talent who added some modicum of credibility to the network's lineup. If nothing else, his podcasts, the 30 for 30 series, and his Grantland work diversified ESPN's content.

Doesn't look like Iger minds losing him, though. Judging from his picture behind Jon Barry (as a fellow Jacket, it pains me to say he's one of the worst commentators in the business) and Mike "Don't Call Me Black" Tirico, mannequin Bob is the newest Clippers fan. He jumped on the bandwagon just in time to see the Clippers to blow a 3-1 lead, and like most LA fans, he couldn't care less.

gmajew

Premium Member
How bout educators
And administrators

Would that not mean the Union would be making the decisions?

Common Core is to much about test scores but the idea was right how do you hold the education system accountable for the quality of the education they give? The issue with they system today is that the system then only worried about getting a test score! And education is so much more then test!

It also has changed the speed that kids learn things. Todays kids should not be learning a little bit of everything all year! They should become masters at one area and then move on to the next. Fractions is the perfect example... My kids go to the #1 district in the state but even they are learning some fractions some long division some algebra some geometry all at once and not enough time is being spent on learning any of it complete.

Just enough to get a damn test score.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
And thanks to our wonderful governor and the incompetent Legislature, we tax payers will be footing the bill for a special 20 day session in order for the Legislature/governor to figure a way out of the mess they created by not opting into the Medicaid expansion, which would have been paid by tax revenues already collected from Florida residents. The esteemed Legislature has to find a way to plug the $1.3B budget deficit that will occur since they decided not to expand Medicaid and the federal government said no to Scott's LIP proposal since the proposal doesn't meet ACA guidelines. And that was after Ricky made that trip to DC. So Ricky got to send a letter to state agency heads this week asking them to make plans for a shut down of state government if the Legislature cannot solve the impasse THEY created. The last time we had a shut down of state government? When Lawton Chiles was governor back in the 1990s. And it was one day. And he asked state employees to show up for work on July 1st, confident that the Legislature would pass a budget in time. This time? No such luck since the House and Senate are at opposite ends and the House decided to bail early during the regular session. But we taxpayers will be paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for that special session that may solve nothing. And then state government, other than essential services, will be shutting down. All over providing another 800,000 poor Florida residents health care. It is estimated 1 in 5 elderly Floridians have no health care. Criminal in a state with an aging population like Florida; the Florida Department of Elder Affairs estimates (based on voting records) the 60+ population to be around 30%.

And Ricky flip flopping on the issue. First he was opposed. Then he was for and the Legislature shot him down last year. Now he's opposed again.

And all the Florida Legislature has to do, constitutionally, is pass a budget. Which they couldn't do in 60 days. Every time I see the commercial about how the Legislature is making Florida work and protecting the people, I want to vomit.

All this over providing another 800,000 Florida citizens health care. And I wonder how many of those 800,000 are children?

The mistake made with ACA? That it wasn't a single payer plan and the insurance companies taken out of the health care business. Got news for you folks. It's your insurance company that decides the level/quality of health care you receive, not your doctor. That an entire industry has evolved to provide billing services to insurance companies for health care is a good indication of this.

The US medical problems began as usual with Congress (the inverse of Progress) during the Reagan Admin Medicare went to a system called 'Capitation' where Providers were given a fixed sum per patient to provide care. This actually WORKED,

Enter Congress who wanted to dole out goodies in exchange for votes because they had no control over the medical system. The congresscritters came up with a system where each procedure would be assigned a 'code' and the 'codes' would be paid for and this would all be done on a standardized form called a UB-82, This system of course was ripe for gaming and led to the 'Medical Billing' companies who would 'deconstruct' codes into multiple codes to increase payment.

I remember this as my first job out of college was leading a team to get this system computerized at a local hospital.

As to the ACA all one needs to do is look at the current VA issues to see how well a US Govt operated single payer system would operate. What was needed was a comprehensive BASIC plan which provided everyone with access to a physician, prescription drugs and catastrophic coverage.

This could have been a truly AFFORDABLE system, But it would have not allowed Congress to buy the votes of the underclass and reward the politically 'connected'.

Last edited:

gmajew

Premium Member
Since ESPN's dealings come up in this thread periodically, I'm surprised there wasn't more discussion of the de facto firing of Bill Simmons. Whether you love him or hate him (or ambivalently follow his work), there's no question that he was one of the ESPN personalities who made the Worldwide Leader more interesting (and not "interesting" in a Skip Bayless, et al. type of way).

Evidently, SI reported today that Simmons won't be seen again on any ESPN platforms including Grantland even though his contract doesn't expire until September (I think that's the month).

One might be tempted to say that ESPN mismanaged this situation and lost a major talent who added some modicum of credibility to the network's lineup. If nothing else, his podcasts, the 30 for 30 series, and his Grantland work diversified ESPN's content.

Doesn't look like Iger minds losing him, though. Judging from his picture behind Jon Barry (as a fellow Jacket, it pains me to say he's one of the worst commentators in the business) and Mike "Don't Call Me Black" Tirico, mannequin Bob is the newest Clippers fan. He jumped on the bandwagon just in time to see the Clippers to blow a 3-1 lead, and like most LA fans, he couldn't care less.

He is a great voice that is for sure but big time people leave ESPN all the time... Not the first not the last.... Some come back some leave for good. Look at Keith Olbermain and Dan Patrick... Prob two of the biggest stars in Espn history....

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm sure that is the perception on that end, however, the fundamental problem is that you have folks who are not trained medical professionals making medical decisions for folks every day based on line items on a spreadsheet, not patient health needs. As was stated, that the industry as a whole exists is the very root of the problem.

The problem with that is the industry was CREATED by Congress in 1982 as part of the 'Uniform Billing' act.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Common Core is to much about test scores but the idea was right how do you hold the education system accountable for the quality of the education they give? The issue with they system today is that the system then only worried about getting a test score! And education is so much more then test!

It also has changed the speed that kids learn things. Todays kids should not be learning a little bit of everything all year! They should become masters at one area and then move on to the next. Fractions is the perfect example... My kids go to the #1 district in the state but even they are learning some fractions some long division some algebra some geometry all at once and not enough time is being spent on learning any of it complete.

You go back to a model where the PRINCIPAL and TEACHERS runs the schools - many City school systems have 'Administrations' which are 30-40% of the size of the STUDENT BODY - and as a result no money actually makes it to the classroom with the predictable results.

Full Disclosure DW is a TEACHER.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Or the working parent with a child with a chronic illness like asthma who ends up taking their kid to the ER for treatment because their employer doesn't offer insurance or the coverage is too expensive for them. I hired someone who took a $16,000 pay cut to return to state government because we had better health care and retirement.

I would rather the $600+ the state takes out of my retirement check every month and sends to my HMO be a much lower "tax" (since you will be spreading the cost over all taxpaying citizens) paid to the federal government and then everyone can receive medical care. Remember how HMOs were supposed to be the panacea to fix the health insurance industry back in the 1970s? How did that turn out?

And all those bean counters out of work if we had a single payer system? Well, they would work for the government reviewing claim forms previously submitted to insurance companies. And for those of you ready to pounce on this and scream how incompetent the government is, ever have your claim rejected by your insurance company? Ever dealt with some idiot accountant on the phone who knows nothing about health care but has the power to allow treatment in their hands? Yeah.....

Trouble with the Govt is they will happily take your $600 and give it to those who they think will vote for them and you will be left with nothing if you are not one of the 'protected classes'. Government is like fire a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

Example in the US Social Security is a tax, Yet the payments are an 'Administrative Rule' so the USG is NOT obligated to PAY SS Benefits. It currently DOES, but there is no LAW saying that it MUST pay benefits. That's why during the budget crisis there was the threat of SS payments not being made because it's actually discretionary spending for the USG.

Last edited:

gmajew

Premium Member
You go back to a model where the PRINCIPAL and TEACHERS runs the schools - many City school systems have 'Administrations' which are 30-40% of the size of the STUDENT BODY - and as a result no money actually makes it to the classroom with the predictable results.

It is not just the City school systems that have this issue it is all of them. It is sad that really all government has become so bloated and because of it not able to work as needed.

Just like some big companies.....

gmajew

Premium Member
Trouble with the Govt is they will happily take your $600 and give it to those who they think will vote for them and you will be left with nothing if you are not one of the 'protected classes'. Government is like fire a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

Like Obama Care! It was not to better the system it was to get people to vote that it gives free stuff to.... If the government really wanted to give away health insurance they should not of passed it to business to foot the bill

twebber55

Unequivically no in regards to the union
Wow
Guess who damands test scores?
Your guessed it politicians

tribbleorlfl

The US medical problems began as usual with Congress (the inverse of Progress) during the Reagan Admin Medicare went to a system called 'Capitation' where Providers were given a fixed sum per patient to provide care. This actually WORKED,

Enter Congress who wanted to dole out goodies in exchange for votes because they had no control over the medical system. The congresscritters came up with a system where each procedure would be assigned a 'code' and the 'codes' would be paid for and this would all be done on a standardized form called a UB-82, This system of course was ripe for gaming and led to the 'Medical Billing' companies who would 'deconstruct' codes into multiple codes to increase payment.

I remember this as my first job out of college was leading a team to get this system computerized at a local hospital.

As to the ACA all one needs to do is look at the current VA issues to see how well a US Govt operated single payer system would operate. What was needed was a comprehensive BASIC plan which provided everyone with access to a physician, prescription drugs and catastrophic coverage.

This could have been a truly AFFORDABLE system, But it would have not allowed Congress to buy the votes of the underclass and reward the politically 'connected'.
The first intelligent post I've seen since the discussion on evil insurers got particularly militant and ignorant. Thank you.

gmajew

Premium Member
Unequivically no in regards to the union
Wow
Guess who damands test scores?
Your guessed it politicians

Reread my post... I agree politician demand test scores because the union lead system was killing the system.

Education $ need to be spent on the kids not admins and then they need to be held accountable that kids get smarter.... The system as set up puts to much on testing... the system before had none on testing... Neither are good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom