A Spirited Perfect Ten

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Um, no, it wouldn't.

Because Jimmy Thick is a known troll who makes things up as he goes. The other is a well-respected webmaster.
It would be akin to someone coming here and accusing @wdwmagic of lying if he posted something negative about a visit to UNI.

You take the source. They may like one resort more than the other and I don't know @ElBriMan well enough to even know whether he actually favors UNI in general. The fact he proposed at WDW and wanted to spend part of his honeymoon at WDW certainly signifies to me that he thinks highly of the resort.

I don't know if I'll put a ring on Angie (maybe she should put a tiara on me first?), but if I do you can rest assured, as can she, that I won't be taking her to the Red Roof Inn in Tallahassee for any part of the honeymoon.
Yes, this is part of an inside joke, but that motel is also the worst dump I have ever stayed in anywhere in the world -- and I do get around.

Hey, we up here in Tally resent you slamming one of our better hotels, lol. Next time you are in town, stay at the Duval. Great bar and a wonderful place to watch the sun set as you drink a martini. Provided you haven't pick a night when the majority of the 40,000 FSU students decide to show up.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Ratty towels and bloodstains on a supposedly freshly made bed. Gah I'd expect this at a Super 8 or Motel 6 not at one of WDW's premier resorts plus the described attitude of the front desk. Service is truly dead at WDW

Not just ratty towels, but what is that gunk on the towel? Eeeewww. I'd be in the face of the manager on duty at the Poly if I had towels and bedsheets like that in a room I just paid over $500 for. And I'd send an e-mail and make a phone call to customer relations the first chance I could.

OSUgirl77

I am typically of a like mind with you on many things but definitely have a different approach with this thought. Taking all things Disney out of it, I believe in recognizing effort that meets my expectations. Whether it be a nice dinner with good service, a good shopping experience or my own employees who do a good job with a task or project. It doesn't have to be anything elaborate or long winded. A simple "Thanks. I really enjoyed that." or "Thanks. You were very helpful." or "Great job. I appreciate you getting that done so fast." can go a long way in improving moral and service. These people met my expectations and deserved recognition for their effort IMO. Exceeding my expectation deserves a reward (bigger tip, better score on yearly evaluation, etc). But then maybe that's where I'm missing your point. You were using praise in the same vein as I am using reward.
On a second side note: I think service industry jobs are by and large thankless, for lack of a better word, and society in general has forgotten how to be courteous and how to have manners. I was a retail GM for almost 15 years so have a pretty good idea what many go through in those positions. A simple "please" and "thank you" are almost a dead concept for many of todays consumers, regardless of the level of service they receive. It's surprising how those two simple phrases can improve ones dining/shopping experience.
I was shopping at a Sephora outside of DC once, and the girl at the counter actually thanked me for smiling at her. Said it was the only smile she had seen all day. That made me so sad. It makes me wonder how many people that constantly complain about the customer service they receive come across as nasty from the start. Don't get me wrong, I've experienced my share of crappy customer service, even when I'm nice and polite. However, I've also watched sales or front desk associates go from being less than friendly to the rude person in front of me to perfectly pleasant and ready to help when I didn't approach them with a bad attitude, even if I was coming to them with an issue.

PhotoDave219

I am typically of a like mind with you on many things but definitely have a different approach with this thought. Taking all things Disney out of it, I believe in recognizing effort that meets my expectations. Whether it be a nice dinner with good service, a good shopping experience or my own employees who do a good job with a task or project. It doesn't have to be anything elaborate or long winded. A simple "Thanks. I really enjoyed that." or "Thanks. You were very helpful." or "Great job. I appreciate you getting that done so fast." can go a long way in improving moral and service. These people met my expectations and deserved recognition for their effort IMO. Exceeding my expectation deserves a reward (bigger tip, better score on yearly evaluation, etc). But then maybe that's where I'm missing your point. You were using praise in the same vein as I am using reward.
On a second side note: I think service industry jobs are by and large thankless, for lack of a better word, and society in general has forgotten how to be courteous and how to have manners. I was a retail GM for almost 15 years so have a pretty good idea what many go through in those positions. A simple "please" and "thank you" are almost a dead concept for many of todays consumers, regardless of the level of service they receive. It's surprising how those two simple phrases can improve ones dining/shopping experience.

You missed the context.

We were discussing whether Disney should be patted on the head and given praise for doing the minimum requirements for Deluxe accommodations.

Figments Friend

This all comes back to declining levels of quality and service at WDW driven from the top down. This is a problem created by Disney management.

In the 1970s and 1980s, there was genuine concern for the WDW customer at the highest levels. There was a palpable attitude that the customer came first. However, there also was concern whether those high standards could be maintained as WDW grew. They knew it was going to be a challenge. They believed they needed to step up their game to handle the increasing crowds. They believed it was a time for a renewed investment in WDW's commitment to quality.

Instead, by the early 1990s, Eisner and Wells began pressuring WDW management to improve margins, eventually pushing out WDW's old-time leadership (who I call the Old Guard). Once Paul Pressler was put in charge of Parks & Resorts in 1998, WDW's decline was assured.

This does not mean that today's WDW stinks. It does mean that WDW has declined.

I would have graded WDW an A+ experience in the 1970s and 1980s. With all the exciting building going on through 1998, I'd even give this grade to that decade as well. I certainly don't recall seeing quality cuts back then, and I suspect that was because most of the initial cuts happened offstage or involved maintenance, which took time to take its toll. Even today, I'd give WDW a grade of a B or B+. WDW is still good but the corporate priority has shifted from "profits through quality" to just "profits", resulting in a lower grade.

Those of us who complain about today's WDW do not hate WDW. Quite the opposite. I suspect we love it at least as much as the apologists (a.k.a. pixie dusters), who seem to accept declining standards as part of the normal business cycle. We so called doom-and-gloomers simply know what WDW is capable of becoming once more, with the right leadership.

Even in the 1970s and 1980s, Guests could be demanding. However, Disney gave so much and, relative to today, charged so little that Guests overwhelmingly were grateful for the WDW experience. WDW was exceptional for its time exactly because customers were provided excellent service for relatively moderate prices. The WDW of the 1970s and 1980s did not operate like other companies of the 1970s and 1980s. The "Disney Difference" was real.

With prices being what they are today, customer expectations have been raised exactly at a time when WDW has lowered its standards. Today's CMs are dealing with more difficult customers, but that's because those CMs are being placed in more difficult situations by decisions made at corporate.

This is not a problem with WDW's Guests or Cast Members. Overwhelmingly, this is a problem created by Disney management.

Well said, although in my opinion 1998 was the start of the downward spiral.

Both '20,000 Leagues Under The Sea' and the Original 'Journey Into Imagination' Attractions were closed and gutted that year for dubious and questionable reasons.

Broke my heart.
Still does.
:(

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Ah yes the magic words I use them regularly and I agree they do make life better.

hpyhnt 1000

This all comes back to declining levels of quality and service at WDW driven from the top down. This is a problem created by Disney management.

In the 1970s and 1980s, there was genuine concern for the WDW customer at the highest levels. There was a palpable attitude that the customer came first. However, there also was concern whether those high standards could be maintained as WDW grew. They knew it was going to be a challenge. They believed they needed to step up their game to handle the increasing crowds. They believed it was a time for a renewed investment in WDW's commitment to quality.

Instead, by the early 1990s, Eisner and Wells began pressuring WDW management to improve margins, eventually pushing out WDW's old-time leadership (who I call the Old Guard). Once Paul Pressler was put in charge of Parks & Resorts in 1998, WDW's decline was assured.

This does not mean that today's WDW stinks. It does mean that WDW has declined.

I would have graded WDW an A+ experience in the 1970s and 1980s. With all the exciting building going on through 1998, I'd even give this grade to that decade as well. I certainly don't recall seeing quality cuts back then, and I suspect that was because most of the initial cuts happened offstage or involved maintenance, which took time to take its toll. Even today, I'd give WDW a grade of a B or B+. WDW is still good but the corporate priority has shifted from "profits through quality" to just "profits", resulting in a lower grade.

Those of us who complain about today's WDW do not hate WDW. Quite the opposite. I suspect we love it at least as much as the apologists (a.k.a. pixie dusters), who seem to accept declining standards as part of the normal business cycle. We so called doom-and-gloomers simply know what WDW is capable of becoming once more, with the right leadership.

Even in the 1970s and 1980s, Guests could be demanding. However, Disney gave so much and, relative to today, charged so little that Guests overwhelmingly were grateful for the WDW experience. WDW was exceptional for its time exactly because customers were provided excellent service for relatively moderate prices. The WDW of the 1970s and 1980s did not operate like other companies of the 1970s and 1980s. The "Disney Difference" was real.

With prices being what they are today, customer expectations have been raised exactly at a time when WDW has lowered its standards. Today's CMs are dealing with more difficult customers, but that's because those CMs are being placed in more difficult situations by decisions made at corporate.

This is not a problem with WDW's Guests or Cast Members. Overwhelmingly, this is a problem created by Disney management.

Absolutely correct and well said.

What annoys me most about the criticisms by certain fans toward those who expect more form Disney (the "doom and gloomers" as they have been branded) is the apparent lack of context that it takes place in. The Walt Disney Company is not a company that is on the brink of financial collapse; WDW is not a resort that is on the edge of bankruptcy. It is not losing money, nor it is seeing declining attendance.

Yet for the past decade or more, it has been run as if it is hemorrhaging assets left and right. It is seemingly being managed with a mentality that any little extra perk, service or amenity will be so much of a burden that it will doom the resort, and thus these things must be eliminated. And it has had a hugely detrimental effect in things that both directly and indirectly affect the guest experience.

There is no reason for lack of adequate custodial staff at MK. There is no reason for the sub-par linens at Disney resorts. There is no reason for the elimination of prime rib resort wide, for cuts to entertainment and special events, for unkept monorails and broken attraction effects. Even small things like the substitution of unbranded napkins - why? If Wendy's or Chipotle can afford to have branded napkins and bags, why can't the world's preeminent media company, raking in billions upon billions each year, do the same for it's flagship resort? (And there are a hundred and one other things that have been cut or degraded that could be added to this list.)

The notion that Disney needs to cut back on quality, the very thing that made it great, in order to stay solvent is complete nonsense.

Saw this article on Twitter about a familiar person

https://d23.com/wdis4u-martin-smith/

Red alert! @marni1971 has become a Pixie Duster! He has embraced the dark side! He must be banished! Back! BACK OVER THE FALLS WITH HIM!

Cesar R M

Yes, why is that? Of course, the dirty secret is that only 13 states really have Obamacare and in many of those it works largely well (like MA., but that's RomneyCare, even if he wants to pretend otherwise ... CA also seems to have a good system).

But that's not how you implement major change nationally. You can't allow states to pick and choose or you have those like FL where our governor (let's not forget he presided over the largest Medicare fraud in history and walked away with $76 million and the state of FL for his troubles) decides we're opting out. People get screwed totally.

The problem is health care can't be considered a privilege and the industry can't be run for profit like say an entertainment corporation. You can't claim to be a caring and compassionate nation when you allow people, even children, to die daily because they can't pay for medical care. That is vile and we should all be ashamed.
or claim you love mothers, yet give no mothers paid day off?

Cesar R M

I think that was more than fair compensation. But I also think they looked at your vacation (if not your past history). They saw an over two-week vacation all at deluxes (btw, don't take this the wrong way, but I think changing resorts six times is crazy! But we are all different ... I just would hate packing and moving and packing and moving and repeat another four times.) They know you paid a pretty penny and they treated you that way.

I wonder if you had a newbie guest who simply was spending six days at YC and had your issues what they would receive. Of course, many folks wouldn't even complain. It's amazing how many people would never think to complain about anything at WDW ... even if Aunt Martha was beat up and sexually assaulted by Goofy on the floor of a filthy monorail that was so delayed she missed her ressie for breakfast at Crystal Palace.

On the general subject of upkeep at resorts, I feel like ALL of the Mousekeepers, including managers, need tutorials on the basics. Every room gets vacuumed every day and that absolutely includes under the beds (they never do this). Every surface gets cleaned with the proper cleansing agents every day (run your finger on anything above shoulder level and you'll see dust). You never allow stained sheets or towels to be placed in a room. You sanitize the phone and remote control after every check out. You make sure everything is in operating order in the room and, if it isn't, then you call maintenance to deal with it. ... Now, you can say (and be quite correct) that these are hospitality issues in general. I'd agree. But Disney charges ridiculous premiums and has a rep where everything is supposed to be perfect. Torn towels, stained sheets and month old cereal under the bed just isn't acceptable at all.
When I stayed at coronado springs this februray. I seen a mousekeeping team actually picking up the beds fully, while the other vacuumed in the back and on the floor.
So I think SOME still do all the steps.

Cesar R M

Geez you KNOW it's bad when the denizens of the DELTA-INDIA-SIERRA board are ripping Disney a new one, From there it appears the doors need power to operate and with the outage there was none. (Of course that's why life safety systems are usually backed with batteries and/or a genset).

It looks like the lobby may be the LEAST of the Poly's problems, Paging Dr @tikiman for the inside scoop.
Didnt they said that the only way to open them in emergency is from OUTSIDE and by a CM with a key?
I find that pretty stupid for evacuation purposes.

Stevek

If you are a family taking a once in a year or once in four year visit to WDW for one week, then I just don't get how you can possibly relax. I know many people don't. I've read countless posts from folks who stay at a monorail resort and in a week NEVER use the pool or jacuzzi or work out room or just sit at the bar having a drink. They are in the room for 6-8 hours a day/night to sleep and shower and on the go the rest of the time. For that, I absolutely think they're insane for spending $500 a night when they could be spending $100 (or less) a night because they are getting nothing but location (and those resorts are ONLY convenient for MK and semi-convenient for EPCOT ... everywhere else is bus only and not close by).

But I'll enjoy my time this summer at theme parks far away from Central Florida ... and in some National Parks as well. Those will all be relaxing. WDW or UNI in summer? Um .... nope, nothing good to say!

First trip (6 nights) with the kids, stayed at AKL and loved it but realized, as you state above, we weren't in the room or the resort enough to really enjoy it or to rationalize paying that much money...and it was quite a bit cheaper in 2006 from what I remember.

Trip 2 (8 nights) with the kids, stayed at POP. Wanted to stay onsite, got the room cheap and went off-season. No issues with the hotel to be honest (yes, the room was smaller) nor any issues with transportation at all. The food court was absolutely perfect for a quick breakfast before heading to the parks. I would actually do it again if the price was right.

Trip 3, just a 2 day trip on the way back from Nassau with the Mrs...no kids. Stayed at CBR (never again) , 2 full days in the parks and this trip is the one that convinced me we've had too much Disney and really need to get back to Hawaii (no Aulani) or any of the other billion beautiful non-Disney places this world has to offer.

I really think that it would take a 10-14 day trip to make me actually take a break and not visit the parks...of course, we'd probably decide we needed to see Potterland so all bets would really be off about rest and relaxation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom