A Spirited Perfect Ten

TP2000

That is horrible. Must have something to do with Princess Davison's latest night spectacular, although that location is suspect. But they do intend to have projection mapping all up and down MSUSA, so that could explain the slaughter. Or it could be the WDW Effect with Colglazier running the show out west.

Any of our DLR's know what's up?

Don't worry @Expo_Seeker40 and friends.

The trees were removed temporarily this week so they could build a stage there for the Kelly & Michael Show TV taping this weekend. The stage is there now, sitting where the trees used to be.

The trees will be back.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
I haven't even been able to peek in today. Wonder what the subjects of the day have been ... did Disney finally announce something important that actually improves WDW and adds to the value and cache of a MAGICal vacation?

Didn't think so. But worth asking. Have any of the Lifestyers begun two-week visits to DLR yet?

Hey, George Clooney, you think you're a big shot? I've been to Lake Como before (pizza wasn't all that, but view was to die for). And I actually showed for Governors Ball at the Emmys when you were given that honorary statue. I think it's rude to not show up when you're invited somewhere. ... I still remember when you were on the Facts of Life. Probably your best work.

Yep, watching one of Dave Letterman's final shows and realizing that nighttime talk TV is really changing now.
Here's a good read on the end of an era: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/14/o...0150514&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=58490726&_r=0

George Clooney = Head Tilt Acting
ER missed his flat delivery....

You didn't miss much as far as Disney provided material, but I am sure that can be said over the last decade at WDW...

*1023*

PhotoDave219

I haven't even been able to peek in today. Wonder what the subjects of the day have been ... did Disney finally announce something important that actually improves WDW and adds to the value and cache of a MAGICal vacation?

Didn't think so. But worth asking. Have any of the Lifestyers begun two-week visits to DLR yet?

Hey, George Clooney, you think you're a big shot? I've been to Lake Como before (pizza wasn't all that, but view was to die for). And I actually showed for Governors Ball at the Emmys when you were given that honorary statue. I think it's rude to not show up when you're invited somewhere. ... I still remember when you were on the Facts of Life. Probably your best work.

Yep, watching one of Dave Letterman's final shows and realizing that nighttime talk TV is really changing now.
Here's a good read on the end of an era: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/14/o...0150514&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=58490726&_r=0

You picked a good day to skip. Would have angered you greatly.

Beyond that.... Letterman's retirement signals more than a change for late-nite. Its a reflection of how entertainment consumption is changing and diversifying. People consume media different.... and it becomes more niche. Yet the mainstream networks continue to become the most generic, pander to the least common denominator and race to the bottom.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Do you agree with Bob Iger that live sports are the only DVR-proof content that's left out there and will therfore be the last haven for advertisers?

Partially, yes.

I think large scale, live 'event' TV -- from sports to awards shows to live concerts or even the performances NBC has tried -- will always pull in huge viewership. But I see nothing to indicate that network TV is dying (this isn't newspapers, which largely sealed their own fate by laying off top writers/photogs/journalists and gave away content for 15 years online before deciding that 'hey, we could/should be charging for this.')

If the content is worth watching, then it will draw an audience ... such as the wonderful Blacklist, which wrapped up Season 2 tonight in style.

Advertising, after all, comes in all forms. I currently have a banner ad here offering me $107 rooms this summer at the ASMu. It isn't there because it looks nice on a Disney site. It's there to sell ...

Oh, and back to your original point, people do DVR sports too. But generally it's because they want to rewatch or because they are out at a bar watching and want to view again at home or because they're going to be running late from the office and want to make sure they can see the entire first half etc. So, sports isn't DVR proof, per se ... unlike Big Bang Theory, which can sit for days and may not ever be watched on Thursday nights at 8 at all by some fans.

Disneyhead'71

You picked a good day to skip. Would have angered you greatly.

Beyond that.... Letterman's retirement signals more than a change for late-nite. Its a reflection of how entertainment consumption is changing and diversifying. People consume media different.... and it becomes more niche. Yet the mainstream networks continue to become the most generic, pander to the least common denominator and race to the bottom.
We have entered the age of narrowcasting and on demand. Broadcasting is on it's way out.

PhotoDave219

this isn't newspapers, which largely sealed their own fate by laying off top writers/photogs/journalists and gave away content for 15 years online before deciding that 'hey, we could/should be charging for this.'

Two thoughts:

One: Journalism has given rise to the "super intern"... people who intern at top places for 3-4 years before picking somewhere at a top organization. I've seen it first hand.

Second: An acquaintance from PhillyTwitter(TM) put it: "People need to be smarter with material that has monetary worth. Don't just throw it on Twitter."

WDW1974

Original Poster
In 2002, an adult meal at Cinderella's Royal Table cost $16.

Today with tax and automatic gratuity, it costs $58.

Things have changed a lot. :D

P.S. Edited to fix the 2015 price.

Ah, but in 2002, I could actually eat lunch or dinner (maybe just lunch by that point) at Cindy's and not have it be a character meet-greet- and-photograph experience. Used to be my favorite WDW dining location. I haven't been back since they made all three meals there character experiences.

I still recall my first meal there. Slab of prime rib, baked tater (try and find one of those at a WDW restaurant today as they all think we're simple guests who like comfort mashed taters instead) and green beans on a pewter plate with goblet of icey cold Coke. Fantasy in the Sky came on while we were having dessert.

But, yeah, screw me and my 40-plus years of loyalty and money. WDW isn't supposed to be for me anymore!

Lee

Adventurer
Ah, but in 2002, I could actually eat lunch or dinner (maybe just lunch by that point) at Cindy's and not have it be a character meet-greet- and-photograph experience. Used to be my favorite WDW dining location. I haven't been back since they made all three meals there character experiences.

I still recall my first meal there. Slab of prime rib, baked tater (try and find one of those at a WDW restaurant today as they all think we're simple guests who like comfort mashed taters instead) and green beans on a pewter plate with goblet of icey cold Coke. Fantasy in the Sky came on while we were having dessert.

But, yeah, screw me and my 40-plus years of loyalty and money. WDW isn't supposed to be for me anymore!
Yes. This.
I dream of a day when we can finally kick the characters out of Cindy's/Stefan's and reclaim it as an adult-friendly signature dining location.

WDW1974

Original Poster
That industry is horrific and they have so much power in DC. If people think the big ACA was so great then ponder why insurance companies liked it.

Yes, why is that? Of course, the dirty secret is that only 13 states really have Obamacare and in many of those it works largely well (like MA., but that's RomneyCare, even if he wants to pretend otherwise ... CA also seems to have a good system).

But that's not how you implement major change nationally. You can't allow states to pick and choose or you have those like FL where our governor (let's not forget he presided over the largest Medicare fraud in history and walked away with $76 million and the state of FL for his troubles) decides we're opting out. People get screwed totally.

The problem is health care can't be considered a privilege and the industry can't be run for profit like say an entertainment corporation. You can't claim to be a caring and compassionate nation when you allow people, even children, to die daily because they can't pay for medical care. That is vile and we should all be ashamed.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So, last summer we did a huge split stay trip. It was sixteen days, and we stayed at 6 different deluxe resorts throughout the trip. We will stay on points, but also add in club level days. For the last resort, we opted to stay club level in the Yacht Club for two nights. This was the best trip we had taken up to this point, as we had no issues or problems in the other resorts. The club level room in the YC was in bad shape. My wife and I were appalled at the condition of the room, we were miles away from the actual club lounge, and the view from our room was of the backside of a support facility where workers obviously went on smoke breaks. They also must have increased the number of club level rooms at the YC because the lounge was overfilled every morning.

My wife photographed the numerous issues with the room (and there were many), and when we got back home after the trip, she immediately typed up a long email, inserting the photos throughout. The next day, we got a call from a Disney customer service rep/manager. They spoke to us for about an hour and went over pretty much everything in her email, as well as any other problems we had at the YC.

After it was all said and done, Disney gave us two options as recompense for our poor experience at the YC: 2 nights free club level at any deluxe resort, or, 3 nights free at the AKL with a prime savannah view. We choose the three nights free at AKL and stayed over Thanksgiving last fall. It was nice that they did that but we still will not be returning to the YC any time soon. In my opinion, NO club level room should have a view like that. Also, they clearly had to have added rooms to the club level inventory in that resort because of how far we had to walk to actually get to the lounge for breakfast in the morning. If you are going to offer club level as an added level of experience at your resort, the lounge should be able to adequately support the number of potential club level guests. The YC needs major fixing before we go back.

What is funny is that when I say we truly did not have issues with the other resorts, we really did not. The rooms were clean, the views were all nice, the service we received for what we needed was of the level I expected, except for the YC. It was just bad.

I think that was more than fair compensation. But I also think they looked at your vacation (if not your past history). They saw an over two-week vacation all at deluxes (btw, don't take this the wrong way, but I think changing resorts six times is crazy! But we are all different ... I just would hate packing and moving and packing and moving and repeat another four times.) They know you paid a pretty penny and they treated you that way.

I wonder if you had a newbie guest who simply was spending six days at YC and had your issues what they would receive. Of course, many folks wouldn't even complain. It's amazing how many people would never think to complain about anything at WDW ... even if Aunt Martha was beat up and sexually assaulted by Goofy on the floor of a filthy monorail that was so delayed she missed her ressie for breakfast at Crystal Palace.

On the general subject of upkeep at resorts, I feel like ALL of the Mousekeepers, including managers, need tutorials on the basics. Every room gets vacuumed every day and that absolutely includes under the beds (they never do this). Every surface gets cleaned with the proper cleansing agents every day (run your finger on anything above shoulder level and you'll see dust). You never allow stained sheets or towels to be placed in a room. You sanitize the phone and remote control after every check out. You make sure everything is in operating order in the room and, if it isn't, then you call maintenance to deal with it. ... Now, you can say (and be quite correct) that these are hospitality issues in general. I'd agree. But Disney charges ridiculous premiums and has a rep where everything is supposed to be perfect. Torn towels, stained sheets and month old cereal under the bed just isn't acceptable at all.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Ratty towels and bloodstains on a supposedly freshly made bed. Gah I'd expect this at a Super 8 or Motel 6 not at one of WDW's premier resorts plus the described attitude of the front desk. Service is truly dead at WDW

The towels used at WDW are amazingly low quality. Even more telling, you get the same towels at value resorts as you do at moderate resorts as you do at deluxe resorts. And they aren't as good as the typical airport Marriott or Hilton.

I've had issues with bloodstains a few times (outside of Disney as well). But one time, I had FRESH blood on the sheet at the WDW Dolphin (this was soon after their first hard good redo ... they are about to embark on the second in their history ... Swan has started already). A family member arrived from the west coast and wanted a nap before heading to EPCOT and got into the bed as soon as we checked in and there it was ... then, I looked under the bed and saw paper products from a convention four months earlier (about when the room went into service). I had a very long talk with the GM and let's just say ... I was VERY well taken care of. Perhaps, immediately taking pics and suggesting that as a media member I could easily damage the hotel played a factor. Not sure. But they were very, very nice. And assured me that situation would not repeat itself.

But I think 95% of people are simply not observant or caring when they get into a hotel, especially at a resort.

Blood (even dried) is simply never acceptable. No excuses.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm not looking to start any trouble, but that's a little low to accuse me of something like this.

There's proof in the pics. This was my honeymoon and I was trying to make sure my now-wife had a fantastic time. Not all stays are going to be bad, the point of my post was to show this isn't the "Disney Experience" I paid for.

So unless my plan all along was to sabotage Disney and spend a good amount of money during my honeymoon to further whatever agenda you think I may have.... I stand by my story.

Don't worry. I'm the only one who starts trouble around here ... well, maybe @PhotoDave219 late at night while drinking!:D

But I, for one, appreciate the tale and welcome your participation here.

Oh, and congrats on the nuptials!!!:)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Is there really anything we could do to sway any of TWDC decisions? Who would you propose to take over?

All sorts of things. ... I have certain individuals that I'd like to see move to Disney. Let's just say at this point that it has to be an outsider. You can't have more of the same. Much like Bob Iger was largely most of the bad of Michael Eisner with little of the good, Tom Staggs is mostly the bad of Bob Iger. We don't need more of the same. Disney needs to be more than simply an IP holding company.

PhotoDave219

All sorts of things. ... I have certain individuals that I'd like to see move to Disney. Let's just say at this point that it has to be an outsider. You can't have more of the same. Much like Bob Iger was largely most of the bad of Michael Eisner with little of the good, Tom Staggs is mostly the bad of Bob Iger. We don't need more of the same. Disney needs to be more than simply an IP holding company.

Thoughts on Kathleen Kennedy?

WDW1974

Original Poster
A few gems from the JW Marriott Orlando Grande Lakes.

Impossible! Only Disney concierge service is less than perfect!

Impossible! Only Disney transportation is less than perfect!

Impossible! Only Disney housekeeping and maintenance are less than perfect!

The issue isn't that other hotels/resorts have problems. The issue is that it isn't acceptable anywhere ... and it certainly isn't something to be excused away at WDW, which charges the most absurd and obscene prices for standard hotel rooms in Central Florida ... by a mile.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Ah. Well having worked in the insurance industry for a long time, most perception of evil on the insurer is due to ignorance on the part of the insured on what actually is or isn't covered in the policy contract.

Yes, the industry isn't inherently evil because it makes financial decisions that often mean death or lower quality of life for people. It's just dumb people who should have paid for a better (i.e. more expensive) policy.

Hakuna Matata ... it means no worries until you need approval for an MRI.
It's the insurers totally profit based philosophy ... Hakuna Matata.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Actually they don't. Anyone can get care. What amount that is paid based on the agreement between insurer and insured is a separate issue.

Actually, no they can't.

If you develop cancer and have no insurance, then you die (well, unless you show up with suitcases of cash ... but if you had that, then you'd likely have insurance so it wouldn't matter!) Even if you can easily be treated. No hospital has to treat you unless it's an emergency. A disease that may ravage and kill you over the next three years doesn't get treatment when the great unwashed masses (that all of the rightwingers bemoan a collective delusion that they're paying for) show up at a public hospital ER.

Trust me, dude, you really don't want to get into an online ing match about health insurance when I've been living the nightmare since last fall ... have lost an uncle and a close friend in the last 18 months with healthcare playing a part in both and am dealing with a parent with a life-threatening illness. I also have friends with diseases and conditions where the insurance costs more than a mortgage payment (not counting the monthly drugs needed) \\ Seriously, you'd be better off talking about how Bob Iger is the second coming ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom