A Spirited Perfect Ten

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
No you're picking a fight. You're picking an argument. Your instigating something here. You're not the cool guy here. You're not in the right.

Not everyone has the luxury of being able to go with the flow one vacation.

Some people are forced to depend upon Disney transportation to get from point a to point B. Some people are forced to use my magic plus to schedule fast passes and dining reservations. Some people have to get to a certain point a certain time and Disney transportation is not the most effective way to get anywhere in a hurry.

You're sitting here telling people that they should just relax, they are on vacation when the system is set up against that.

Even more so, if you heard some of the comments and the attitudes that come out of Disney transportation cast members mouth while they are backstage or when they think no one is listening? You would be horrified.
Sorry Dave, I certainly don't mean or wish to pick a fight. If you had read my posts, you will know that we use nothing but Disney transportation, use MM+ to schedule FP+, schedule some ADRs using both the on-line web and the app when we are there, so are completely at Disney's mercy while we are at WDW.

We are "those" people that are "forced" to depend upon Disney transportation, and we have no problem with that. We know exactly what we are getting. We know it takes time if you are at OKW, and need to get to Shula's for a dinner reservation. We are OK with leaving early and getting there early if the transportation was efficient (which it frequently is for us), so we either check-in early if they'll let us, or roam around the resort if they won't. It doesn't have to be the most effective way, because we are on VACATION. This is not a business meeting that will cause me to lose my job if I am late for. This is VACATION where you are supposed to relax and recharge yourself for work.

I don't believe that the system is set up for you not to relax at all, as long as you know how the system works, and we know very well how it works - and I couldn't care less if it doesn't work for someone else - that's THEIR fault for not researching a place that is larger than Manhattan, and has 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, over 30 resorts, and over 300 restaurants. If you don't research how the system is going to work before you go, well bad on them.

Even more so, if you heard some of the comments and the attitudes that come out of Disney transportation cast members mouth while they are backstage or when they think no one is listening? You would be horrified.
Why would I even care? You should here some of the things people say in meetings that forget to mute. Very entertaining, and I'm sure the bus drivers have endless stories about entitled, stupid, and crazy guests. Of course they're going to talk about it. I would!

Cesar R M

I assure you, you may want to reconsider. The Joss produced the shows to intertwine with the movies. In fact the episodie of shield before Avengers launched had a direct tie in. Now that he seems done with disney that may change.
I read in the interview that this guy actually was writing Shield as a standalone, then Disney (Marvel executives) threw him the note that sorta said: "this is the Marvel unique real canon universe.. you have to build Shield around this".

Carp, I wonder if I can find the link again (he was talking about the difficulties of working in marvel projects).

hopemax

Friends of ours have a bunch of DVC points, so they stayed at the Polynesian when they first opened the studios in April. They were shocked that the room they were in was allowed to be in service, because it was on the side of the building that faced the current construction out in the parking lot. And even though construction wasn't supposed to start until 9 AM, there was still an amazing amount of noise starting before 7AM. But the thing that got me, is that they said that people were coming out of the newly reopened Lava Pool with bleeding feet. Apparently hadn't done a proper clean out of the pool, and there was a lot of construction debris in the bottom. Our friend is retired, former finance guy for a major corporation, and worked in NYC, so he's accustomed to nicer accommodations and they just kept laughing over the ridiculousness their stay had been, and they were hearing quite a few complaints from other guests. They have long gotten used to it, so they don't complain. At least to Disney. This was at my Mom's memorial, so a lot of people did get to hear the complaints.

They were also less than impressed with the Four Seasons. They, and another couple went over to have a look, and wanted lunch. It was going to take 45 minutes to get a simple sandwich made at Lickety Split, I think (one was premade, but there were 4 people, so to get more). They ended up at the sitdown, and it still took that amount of time, in a restaurant that was basically empty. One person didn't even get their food until everyone else had eaten. So then the 4 of them sat around joking that Disney I guess doesn't have to worry about the competition, they both seem to lack understanding of quality service.

As for the other discussion, I do end up wondering why Hawkeye and Black Widow remember Budapest so differently. They seem to be good friends, so it seems like there should be room to have, less an origin story, but maybe a current mission that advances the overall story, with some well placed flashbacks. But frankly, I'm getting really tired of the Marvel onslot. The core Avengers I can still tolerate, but the wider the net gets...ugh.

Last edited:

FigmentJedi

The Gamergate was a fine example of some really facepalm worthy males trying to protect their "manly man exclusive club" (they really feel threatened by girls? wow)
More like fed up with the SJWs in the gaming press putting mediocre stuff on a pedestal because of politics. Also, nice job ignoring the women involved in the movement.

tribbleorlfl

I assure you, you may want to reconsider. The Joss produced the shows to intertwine with the movies. In fact the episodie of shield before Avengers launched had a direct tie in. Now that he seems done with disney that may change.
I agree. I was skeptical about AoS and the first half season almost confirmed my reservations. However, it's been steadily improving and last night's season finale blew me away.

Cesar R M

Speaking as a woman who has always been into "guy stuff" (sci-fi, fantasy, sports), I have never encountered a guy that felt threatened by it. In fact, most of them think it's cool. It's been from other women that I've encountered the most judgment, especially since I moved to the East Coast ( I guess we're all a bunch of nerdy tomboys out in the Midwest). If there are men out there who are threatened by women who know who Captain America is and watch GoT, I have yet to meet them.
And thats a good thing!
It feels like the winds of change!.

But like I said, there are certain bad seeds around. And they sometimes group way too much online (see gamergate).

More like fed up with the SJWs in the gaming press putting mediocre stuff on a pedestal because of politics. Also, nice job ignoring the women involved in the movement.

Feels like you didn't watch many of the videos, the online rage, twitts and other rude facebook posts threatening women and doing the "classy" expletives of "girls should just stay in the kitchen".

Or worse, when some of the women journalists who were talking about the whole issue. Got death threats and even harassed in real life.

as for mediocre stuff.
Media as been hyping mediocre stuff since forever. Mostly forced by publishers to up their sales quota on these games.
It gtes pathetic when they even BUY reviewers. All to claim their product is 15 stars out of 10 stars. While the majority ( 90% of the gamers ) get devastating game-ending bugs, like crashes.
Games that would be classified as "beta" releases ( or worse), And still got released to the public! all because of Publisher pressure.

Last edited:

OSUgirl77

Not hard to relax at all. Not everything is perfect in this world. Stuff happens. I understand that way too many people nowadays are just wrapped up too much, and can't relax over anything. You just gotta tell yourself to relax, and that all will be well. So you didn't get to ride Space Mountain because it was down during your FP+ time, and you won't be in the park later to ride it. Is that REALLY the end of your world? So relax. You're on vacation. Not everything is going to be perfect, but you make the best of it that you can, just like in everyday life.

As an example, we were just at a restaurant a few weeks ago, and after waiting 45 minutes for food, the server comes out and apologizes because she thought she had put our order in, but forgot. Did we get all mad and have a hissy fit? Well, no, because we don't act like that. It was an honest mistake (the place was packed), and she admitted it the error. We received our food soon after, and it was excellent. She still received an excellent tip.
The last time I was at WDW, I had a 12:15 ADR at Sanaa. We had spent the morning at Animal Kingdom, and went to get the bus at 11AM. The bus to Kidani Village didn't show up until 12:05, making us late. It was not busy that day, and every other bus went by us several times. Luckily, Sanaa also wasn't busy, so being late wasn't a big deal, but I was still livid. I'm a fairly easy-going person, but not when it comes to time. I don't like being late, and I don't like it when my time is wasted by others. It should not take over an hour to get from Animal Kingdom park to Kidani Village...ever. If we had been late to a busier restaurant, we could have lost our ADR and been charged. Missing a FP is not the same as losing out on money. Later that day we were stuffed into a bus like a bunch of sardines trying to get back to WL from DHS. Needless to say, I was a little over the Disney Transportation System by the end of that trip.

Disneyhead'71

Sorry Dave, I certainly don't mean or wish to pick a fight. If you had read my posts, you will know that we use nothing but Disney transportation, use MM+ to schedule FP+, schedule some ADRs using both the on-line web and the app when we are there, so are completely at Disney's mercy while we are at WDW.

We are "those" people that are "forced" to depend upon Disney transportation, and we have no problem with that. We know exactly what we are getting. We know it takes time if you are at OKW, and need to get to Shula's for a dinner reservation. We are OK with leaving early and getting there early if the transportation was efficient (which it frequently is for us), so we either check-in early if they'll let us, or roam around the resort if they won't. It doesn't have to be the most effective way, because we are on VACATION. This is not a business meeting that will cause me to lose my job if I am late for. This is VACATION where you are supposed to relax and recharge yourself for work.

I don't believe that the system is set up for you not to relax at all, as long as you know how the system works, and we know very well how it works - and I couldn't care less if it doesn't work for someone else - that's THEIR fault for not researching a place that is larger than Manhattan, and has 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, over 30 resorts, and over 300 restaurants. If you don't research how the system is going to work before you go, well bad on them.

Why would I even care? You should here some of the things people say in meetings that forget to mute. Very entertaining, and I'm sure the bus drivers have endless stories about entitled, stupid, and crazy guests. Of course they're going to talk about it. I would!
Some of us at WDW are on the clock. And no I don't work for Disney.

Remember, not everyone at WDW is "on vacation".

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Ok, so here you paint your experience as typical... an average of 10min waits, never more than 20mins (I'll skip the fact I guess you've never queued up for a bus at end of night at MK or something.. where the wait is largely a function of the crowd)

Ok, so your experience.. and you think others are daft for suggesting your experience is NOT typical.

Yet, you go onto highlight

Reconcile these two points.

If the bus transit is 0-20mins, plus travel time.. why does Disney need to be so conservative and tell everyone to plan for roughly THREE TIMES that amount to get somewhere.
NOWHERE did I state that my experience was typical. In fact, I'm pretty sure I said that we were very lucky. I have also stated that Disney transport DOES have issues. It is not always perfect.

We NEVER queue up for a bus right after a park closes. Who in their right mind would even consider doing that? We stroll around and wait for the crowds to die down before we even think about it. It is so relaxing to walk around an empty MK or EPCOT at night. We have never once had any CM tell us to get out or move along. They are always extremely polite and have never tried to rush us out. Try it sometime!

Disney is conservative so people are not late. If we are staying at OKW, and have an ADR at Shula's, we need 2 buses to get there. So we wait 20 minutes for the bus at OKW, then ride to DS. With current construction, and traffic at night, that can take awhile. Then another 20 minute wait at DS, then the trip to Shula's. Could easily be an hour or a bit more. If everything works perfectly - walk up to waiting bus at each location, it might only be 40 minutes. So we have arrived 1/2 or so early. So what? Have a beverage at the bar, ask them if they can seat you early, check out the gift shops in the resort. Lot's to do other than complain.

Disneyhead'71

And thats a good thing!
It feels like the winds of change!.

But like I said, there are certain bad seeds around. And they sometimes group way too much online (see gamergate).

Feels like you didn't watch many of the videos, the online rage, twitts and other rude facebook posts threatening women and doing the "classy" expletives of "girls should just stay in the kitchen".

Or worse, when some of the women journalists who were talking about the whole issue. Got death threats and even harassed in real life.
Anyone that thinks "women should stay in the kitchen" are clueless? What about the bathrooms and the dust bunnies under the fridge?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Some of us at WDW are on the clock. And no I don't work for Disney.

Remember, not everyone at WDW is "on vacation".
Huh??? I know you don't work for Disney, and that you are in the parks a lot for your job. You live there. Why would you be taking Disney transportation anywhere? You have your car. You're NOT on vacation, so what does that have to do with the discussion about people that ARE on vacation,and need to use Disney transportation to get around? Sorry, just confused is all.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Did you stay at the poly during construction? Poly was proactive recovery (many things were done without the guests asking for it), Monorails were reactive (done if it caused a problem for the guest). I happen to know that rooms were reclassified as Standard when previously they would have received a premium for location/view. Effectively reducing the rate during construction. Also, Poly was given many promotional discounts as well as Water Park tickets because the themed pool was down.

I have not stayed in the period... but I find it fascinating that I've not heard of a single person coming on the sites and telling us how Disney proactively reduced their room rates or how their reservation was changed. Only notices that construction was going on... and notices that most people could not put scale to or fully qualify how things like the GCH were so greatly impacted.

And are you sure you are not talking about changes in room classifications due to THE BIG NEW THINGS in front of them vs temporary changes?

The only proactive thing I've heard any guest mention is the water park alternative since they closed the main pool for so long. Alas, we've heard nothing about all the guests inconvenienced by the kids area and hottub being closed so frequently since it all opened either.

Regarding the monorail, downtimes were advertised as soon as the teams knew when it was happening. Downtimes are restricted to mid-week, during the middle of the day when the lowest volume of guests use it. Both monorails are not down at the same time, so if the express isn't working, then the resort one is. Downtimes are suspended during peak weeks like spring break, Easter, and summer. If it was shut down completely for as long as it would take to update, people would complain that it isn't available at all. Every major technology asset has to be taken out of service for a time, and Disney tries to be the least impactful as possible and help guests who are impacted.

Nice cover response. Nevermind the specific like capacity being halved during those times.. or changes to the operational window as a whole.. etc. I understand things need to be done... that's not the point of discussion here. The point is how Disney handles it as a service topic within their 'deluxe' resorts where an insignificant premium has been associated with that service being available.

You've done a great job explaining away the need - but done a horrible job in guest recovery and meeting expectations up front to avoid disgruntled guests. Being stuck on a platform for twice as long doesn't feel any better when the CM says "well we told you this was happening.."

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

I guess your style of vacation and mine are a little different.

After being around the world does he resort since 2004? On a damn regular basis? I just don't view it as vacation anymore…

Disneyhead'71

Bottom line: if you love Disney enough to put up with 3 Star/$600/night hotel rooms, a transportation system held together by duck tape, spreadsheeting every second of your stay 6 months in advance, then everything is peachy keen.

That is the exact opposite of what I want out of a vacation. Then again, I'm not crazily committed to the Brand.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
The last time I was at WDW, I had a 12:15 ADR at Sanaa. We had spent the morning at Animal Kingdom, and went to get the bus at 11AM. The bus to Kidani Village didn't show up until 12:05, making us late. It was not busy that day, and every other bus went by us several times. Luckily, Sanaa also wasn't busy, so being late wasn't a big deal, but I was still livid. I'm a fairly easy-going person, but not when it comes to time. I don't like being late, and I don't like it when my time is wasted by others. It should not take over an hour to get from Animal Kingdom park to Kidani Village...ever. If we had been late to a busier restaurant, we could have lost our ADR and been charged. Missing a FP is not the same as losing out on money. Later that day we were stuffed into a bus like a bunch of sardines trying to get back to WL from DHS. Needless to say, I was a little over the Disney Transportation System by the end of that trip.
I have always stated that Disney transport is not perfect. If you were at the bus stop at 11, if a bus had not been there by 11:20, did you walk over to another bus driver to ask them to call it in? Did you really just do nothing but stand there and get mad for over an hour? Wow! You can be more proactive about it when you are there.

Did you run out of the park right when it closed, and waited in a long line with everyone else? Why not relax, stroll around, wait for the crowds to die down. Much less crowded that way.

The one time that we waited longer than 20 minutes was at the park closure of HS. After the 20 minute wait, we went over to the next bus stop, where a bus was waiting, and asked the driver if he knew what was going on. He stated that our bus had broken down a few minutes earlier, and that he would radio in that people were waiting (we were the ONLY 2 waiting, as we had walked out of the park slowly to avoid the crowds. Only 10 minutes later, an OKW bus drove up, heard about our situation, and took us to SSR where we were staying, even with a full bus of people that was ready to go back to OKW. He did not have to do this, and he took us directly to our stop, and then went back to OKW. We were very grateful, and turned in a thank you CM card for him. Not one person on the bus complained about this small detour either.

Funmeister

NOWHERE did I state that my experience was typical. In fact, I'm pretty sure I said that we were very lucky. I have also stated that Disney transport DOES have issues. It is not always perfect.

We NEVER queue up for a bus right after a park closes. Who in their right mind would even consider doing that? We stroll around and wait for the crowds to die down before we even think about it. It is so relaxing to walk around an empty MK or EPCOT at night. We have never once had any CM tell us to get out or move along. They are always extremely polite and have never tried to rush us out. Try it sometime!

Disney is conservative so people are not late. If we are staying at OKW, and have an ADR at Shula's, we need 2 buses to get there. So we wait 20 minutes for the bus at OKW, then ride to DS. With current construction, and traffic at night, that can take awhile. Then another 20 minute wait at DS, then the trip to Shula's. Could easily be an hour or a bit more. If everything works perfectly - walk up to waiting bus at each location, it might only be 40 minutes. So we have arrived 1/2 or so early. So what? Have a beverage at the bar, ask them if they can seat you early, check out the gift shops in the resort. Lot's to do other than complain.

Your story is changing. The wait times you claimed in your original post have grown to 20 minutes per leg.

You keep saying "relax" and "walk around until it is time to ____."

I think what you are missing is the cost to reward factor. There are many resorts that are priced in the same ball park with better service. You are paying the same price (if not more) to experience less but you chalk it up to "relaxing." LOL

What is a shame is that you have conditioned yourself to pay high prices for sub-par service. Sure you mention Cast Members are polite blah blah blah....that is not what I am talking about.

Don't aim too high LuvtheGoof. Glad you enjoy what you are getting for the time/money spent versus your memorable experiences of waiting at a bus stop. My family prefers to actually spend time together experiencing new things...not waiting for outdated transportation.

Before you judge others and suggest they are "crass" I recommend that you look in the mirror and evaluate yourself. Have fun waiting for those buses.

Funmeister

Bottom line: if you love Disney enough to put up with 3 Star/$600/night hotel rooms, a transportation system held together by duck tape, spreadsheeting every second of your stay 6 months in advance, then everything is peachy keen.

That is the exact opposite of what I want out of a vacation. Then again, I'm not crazily committed to the Brand.

Mmmmm....that sounds so...."relaxing."

OSUgirl77

I have always stated that Disney transport is not perfect. If you were at the bus stop at 11, if a bus had not been there by 11:20, did you walk over to another bus driver to ask them to call it in? Did you really just do nothing but stand there and get mad for over an hour? Wow! You can be more proactive about it when you are there.

Did you run out of the park right when it closed, and waited in a long line with everyone else? Why not relax, stroll around, wait for the crowds to die down. Much less crowded that way.

The one time that we waited longer than 20 minutes was at the park closure of HS. After the 20 minute wait, we went over to the next bus stop, where a bus was waiting, and asked the driver if he knew what was going on. He stated that our bus had broken down a few minutes earlier, and that he would radio in that people were waiting (we were the ONLY 2 waiting, as we had walked out of the park slowly to avoid the crowds. Only 10 minutes later, an OKW bus drove up, heard about our situation, and took us to SSR where we were staying, even with a full bus of people that was ready to go back to OKW. He did not have to do this, and he took us directly to our stop, and then went back to OKW. We were very grateful, and turned in a thank you CM card for him. Not one person on the bus complained about this small detour either.
We did ask what was going on, to more than one CM. They were less than helpful. If someone did make a call, they didn't tell us about it. Like I said, I'm an easy-going person. I don't generally make a fuss. I asked very nicely, and to others I'm sure it looked like I was waiting patiently. But I was not happy.

As for HS, it was at least an hour, maybe more, before closing. It doesn't take long to ride 3 rides. I never leave when everyone else does, I know better than that.

I'm very glad that you have had good experiences with Disney busses. Unfortunately, my last couple trips I have not. Just makes me glad that my next trip will be to DLR and I won't have to worry about it. :)

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
huge gigantic difference in being IN THE RESTAURANT waiting for food.. than BEING UNABLE TO(as in left out) because you missed your reservation and the place was packed to the seams (with a waiting list of 2+ hours ).

I'd love to see you tell someone who just missed their precious super hard to find BOG+ reservation (that they got a year in advance).. because they got stuck in the monorail thanks to shoddy maintenance.
I bet he would punch you and tell you to have a magical day with your "relax" phrase. :hilarious:
Please find me one certified instance where, a monorail broke down causing a person to be so late for an ADR that they were charged as a no show, and not allowed to eat. Just one. Oh, and why wouldn't you call Disney Dining to let them know what is going on while you are sitting there on the monorail???

It's really like playing the what if games with my kids back when they were 6. They would always come up with these ridiculous things that MIGHT happen, and they would "what if" you to death.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom