A Spirited Perfect Ten

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Yes, WDW preys on those uneducated consumers. It's sad but true.
Maybe you and I have different perceptions of the Disney guest, especially at the Deluxe resorts. I think people are well aware that the premium they're paying is for location, transportation, and theming, which are all things you ignore. You seem to think that the only valid input for higher prices is level of service. A Holiday Inn Express in the middle of Ohio is going to be cheaper than a Holiday Inn Express with a free shuttle to Chicago O'Hare Airport. Same exact level of service but one carries a premium for location.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
That's one spectacular thing, for sure. But it doesn't increase the level of service that a hotel gives you. It may be an additional draw, and there are definitely folks who would agree that in that one instance, if you happen to be able to book one of those rooms, it has some value. You've managed to point out virtually the only outlier exception here, though.

It's also not being about a snob. I'm the opposite of a hotel snob. If it's a clean room where bugs aren't going to eat me and the bathroom is clean with running water (at least mildly warm) I'm a happy camper, so to speak.

The point is, Disney is selling and advertising luxury and world-class experience, is charging for it, and not offering what the industry standards are for those services.

Personally, I think anyone that spends $500 a night to stay anywhere that isn't in outer space or under water needs their head examined, period, no matter where they are - but when Disney charges that much but gives no additional service past a 3-star or 3.5 star chain, that's what we are talking about. Not being "snobby" but disguising what they actually offer as something it's not.

Someone who knows more about such things can post more info, but I believe that is a rather new thing. Indeed, it was called Concierge for quite some time (and was when the story I told took place). My guess is, instances like that are what changed the wording.

That said, Disney STILL uses the word "concierge" in promotion and advises it is "part" of the current club level- here is a press release - notice the word "concierge" is used many times throughout.

Next?
Then obviously you're not the kind of person who would get value out of a Disney deluxe resort. If all you care about are clean sheets and a clean bathroom, obviously you'd be overpaying for a castle view at Bay Lake Tower. But for people who simply think it would be awesome to stay in a hotel with a train running through it, or one with a grand wilderness themed lobby, or one where you can dine with Stitch, those are the reasons people pay. Just because those reasons for high prices aren't reasons that appeal to YOU personally doesn't make them illegitimate.

Mike S

And Avengers and SHIELD and Kong and Jimmy Fallon and potentially TMNT or more SpongeBob ;)

From 2016-2020, Universal construction is going to be busy!!
I'm pretty sure the confirmation of Nintendo for KidZone pretty much kills any hope for TMNT or more Spongebob. Heck, I'd be surprised if the Spongebob store is still there when Nintendo moves in.

AEfx

Maybe you and I have different perceptions of the Disney guest, especially at the Deluxe resorts. I think people are well aware that the premium they're paying is for location, transportation, and theming, which are all things you ignore. You seem to think that the only valid input for higher prices is level of service. A Holiday Inn Express in the middle of Ohio is going to be cheaper than a Holiday Inn Express with a free shuttle to Chicago O'Hare Airport. Same exact level of service but one carries a premium for location.

Then obviously you're not the kind of person who would get value out of a Disney deluxe resort. If all you care about are clean sheets and a clean bathroom, obviously you'd be overpaying for a castle view at Bay Lake Tower. But for people who simply think it would be awesome to stay in a hotel with a train running through it, or one with a grand wilderness themed lobby, or one where you can dine with Stitch, those are the reasons people pay. Just because those reasons for high prices aren't reasons that appeal to YOU personally doesn't make them illegitimate.

OK, I'm going to take a wild leap here. You (or your parents, I'm willing to bet) pay rack rate and are fine with it. You (they) are willing to pay it because of the location. That's cool! Pixie dust all around.

My preferences are not relevant to the discussion we are having about levels of service and accommodation. I can talk about and analyze Shakespeare without liking it. Conversely, just because it shines YOUR apple personally to be in the middle of WDW does not change these facts either.

We could debate the finer aspects of some of your points - like theming, or that I think the transportation system in general is a punishment more than a reward - but we'd be discussing a totally different topic.

What we are discussing is what Disney sells the experience as, the labels they use for it, and how those relate to commensurate levels of price and service elsewhere in places that are also demanded for similar location and access features.

For example, anything that is labeled as "personal concierge service" at any other hotel in the world means you have a dedicated person/team available to you 24 hours a day to do things for you that you cannot do yourself. For example, a reservation to a popular restaurant that is booked, or tickets for a sold out show. That's what you pay for. Disney Concierge, on Disney property, can't even do that with Disney experiences. They access the same computer system that any CM standing at a computer in the entire resort can do, and have access to the same old inventory everyone else has. The only real service are some limited snack foods or things that are standard-level at any other hotel in that category. Heck, from what I hear - they can't even bring you a Diet Pepsi...

It may be worth it to you (or again, your parents) to pay for these rooms for other reasons. That's great. But the folks that are paying for the "luxury" or "concierge" and thinking they are getting it are not, they simply don't know what those terms mean elsewhere. The Disney hotel experience is generally good, but it's also pretty average.

Clearly, folks agree with you and pay these prices every day - but the point was, while you seem to understand what it is you are paying for (the "cool" factor), not everyone does, and many people actually believe that the level of service they provide and the room accommodations themselves are of a much higher standard than they really are, and that usually command that price (and are in locations just as in demand as WDW).

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
OK, I'm going to take a wild leap here. You (or your parents, I'm willing to bet) pay rack rate and are fine with it. You (they) are willing to pay it because of the location. That's cool! Pixie dust all around.
Nope. I went three times as a kid. Once off property, once a free trip to CBR from a contest, and once at POFQ. I've stayed deluxe at my own expense with my wife a few times but who pays rack rate? I won't stay on the monorail loop because I'm not at the MK enough to justify it, but I find I get my money's worth at DAK and Wilderness Lodge for around $200 per night in the value season with a 30% offer.

Cute and clever to bring up "my parents" like I'm not a grown man with a wife, child, mortgage, full time job, and graduate degree.

gmajew

Premium Member
Nope. I went three times as a kid. Once off property, once a free trip to CBR from a contest, and once at POFQ. I've stayed deluxe at my own expense with my wife a few times but who pays rack rate? I won't stay on the monorail loop because I'm not at the MK enough to justify it, but I find I get my money's worth at DAK and Wilderness Lodge for around $200 per night in the value season with a 30% offer.

Cute and clever to bring up "my parents" like I'm not a grown man with a wife, child, mortgage, full time job, and graduate degree.

He likes to take cheap shots when you don't agree with him.

mahnamahna101

I'm pretty sure the confirmation of Nintendo for KidZone pretty much kills any hope for TMNT or more Spongebob. Heck, I'd be surprised if the Spongebob store is still there when Nintendo moves in.
I could still see Universal using SpongeBob, TMNT and Dora for a Toon Lagoon revamp/retheme. All three are still around and relatively popular. Popular enough to warrant a replacement for Dudley, Marmaduke and Hagar the Horrible.

Toon Lagoon has so much unused space.
Put a TMNT dark ride next to Spidey (family-friendly)
Bulldoze Dudley and build a SpongeBob mini-land from scratch (E-ticket, flat ride, restaurants, facades of famous locales, M&Gs)
Dora show closer to front section

Sweet Haven could be its own mini-land for whenever the Popeye reboot is released. I just love the ride too much to retheme it to Nick.

Mike S

Thought you guys would find this interesting.
image.jpg

FigmentJedi

New interview with Nintendo chairman Satoru Iwata gets into the Universal deal. Nintendo was sold on the idea from Universal's elaborate pitches and the success of Harry Potter. Iwata immediately started talking with Miyamoto after that meeting and Universal designers have already been actively meeting with Nintendo devs and officials on the various projects.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/events/150508qa/index.html

Mike S

New interview with Nintendo chairman Satoru Iwata gets into the Universal deal. Nintendo was sold on the idea from Universal's elaborate pitches and the success of Harry Potter. Iwata immediately started talking with Miyamoto and Universal designers have already been actively meeting with Nintendo devs and officials on the various projects.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/events/150508qa/index.html
Knew that had to be a factor. WWoHP is just the gift that keeps on giving :happy:

Phil12

I could still see Universal using SpongeBob, TMNT and Dora for a Toon Lagoon revamp/retheme. All three are still around and relatively popular. Popular enough to warrant a replacement for Dudley, Marmaduke and Hagar the Horrible.

Toon Lagoon has so much unused space.
Put a TMNT dark ride next to Spidey (family-friendly)
Bulldoze Dudley and build a SpongeBob mini-land from scratch (E-ticket, flat ride, restaurants, facades of famous locales, M&Gs)
Dora show closer to front section

Sweet Haven could be its own mini-land for whenever the Popeye reboot is released. I just love the ride too much to retheme it to Nick.
Let's not overlook Woody Woodpecker. After all he shares a first name with a top Pixar star and Woody (the bird) has qualities that appeal to both children and adults. He's been around since 1940 and his creator shares a first name with another rather famous cartoon originator. Plus Woody has a long running girlfriend in Winnie Woodpecker. One of the great things about Woody is that he can act like a refined gentleman one minute and then without any provocation go completely insane in a second. That kind of talent needs a prominent showcase and besides we need more type-A cartoon personalities interacting with children as roll models.

GiveMeTheMusic

One thing I haven't seen mentioned for at least 40 pages is the plans if any (or if they've changed) for Star Wars at DL. Is anything noteworthy being passed around? Are we still within that awful timeline and looking, at the very earliest, 2021??

That timeline is for WDW. Star Wars at DLR is planned to open in 2019 - at least, that was the plan a couple months ago. Hopefully it doesn't get pushed back - DLR has new Potter competition up the road to contend with.

Other posters - like @PhotoDave219 and @WDW1974 - have indicated that we will see Star Wars for DL announced at D23 this year, but nothing announced for WDW.

Meanwhile, Universal be like HERE'S 10 RIDES.

Last edited:

EPCOTCenterLover

GMR might have been an E ticket caliber attraction 20 years ago. Today, the only reason it would make me say 'wow' today is in 'wow, this feels pretty dated.'

Agree on Mermaid and Mine Train (that graphic is so depressing, @Mike S ) not meeting the same level of Splash.

But I do think meet and greets like Anna/Elsa would definitely be E tickets if the books were still used today. It might not be solely defined by it's newness and popularity, but it does factor in.
Meet and Greets have never been E Tickets. Ever- regardless of popularity or if its housed in a castle.

BalooChicago

My wife, son, and I rode in the front of Orange Saturday. Bet no one took our picture!

(One of the big differences I saw at DL - not the monorail, no, a family had asked about riding up front before us, and they didn't flinch to let us go instead when my 6yo asked - one of the highlights of the trip for him)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom