A Spirited Perfect Ten

flynnibus

Premium Member
Your screenshot proved my statement to be true, so thanks for calling it BS. I very clearly stated that the room category is not called "Concierge level," which is 100% true. I never claimed that Disney never uses the word "concierge." Obviously they do, for both club level and standard guests.

You missed the elephant in the room... AEfx's point was the 'personal concierge' was just the same as everyone has access to.... yet WDW advertises the 'personal concierge' as some perk.... AND THAT is what the misleading portion is. The point of the screenshot was to show Disney does in fact advertise this additional perk. And you glossed over my added comment about the club labeling. I'm 99% sure that was a later change.. and that's why virtually every non-disney website refers to the tier as 'concierge' and why the lounge itself is often referred to as 'concierge lounge'

You can keep dancing... but you really think Disney lead the product rollout with just 'please pay us an additional 30+% a night so you can simply have access to free soda and snacks?' as the differentiation between it and the other room options?

drew81

image.jpg

WDW1974

Original Poster
So, the topic du jour is what a concierge is and how WDW resorts fail miserably at this role?
I hate to page @TP2000 to the thread, but he has commented on this in the past far better than I can after a very trying weekend.

But let's just say you'd have to be a rube to actually think a WDW concierge (even on the 'club level') is anything special at all. Sure, they can give your kids stickers (maybe even a plush in special situations) and they can make sure you get extra rice krispie treats and an autographed picture from Princess Tangled or Princess Frozen.

It all starts and ends there, though.

If WDW were any place else, then you'd go to your concierge at noon and ask for a table for dinner at Le Cellier or Cindy's Royal Table and Photo Feast or 'Ohana and ... voila ... you'd be set.

If WDW were any place else, then you'd go to your concierge and ask for arrangements to be taken to UNI, perhaps even arrange a VIP Tour, and ... voila ... you'd have a car waiting ... or a cab.

If WDW were any place else and you wanted directions to the hottest local gay bar, then you'd go to your concierge and ... voila ... they'd hand you a piece of paper and ask if you needed dierctions.

If WDW were any place else ... well, it isn't. It shows.

And WDW concierges are interchangeable with almost any CM. And you get the same level of service at Pop Century (with no club level) as you do at top price 'deluxe' resorts. No special training. No special skills. No nothing. But lots of cookies ... and Cokes ... and even some wine (surprisingly decent in my recent experiences). Not a whole lot else.

TP2000

And WDW concierges are interchangeable with almost any CM. And you get the same level of service at Pop Century (with no club level) as you do at top price 'deluxe' resorts. No special training. No special skills. No nothing. But lots of cookies ... and Cokes ... and even some wine (surprisingly decent in my recent experiences). Not a whole lot else.

You summed up their ineptness nicely.

A WDW or Disneyland Resort "Concierge" CM at a hotel is just a tenured ride operator who transferred to the Hotels Department at age 22. Then they had a couple days of training on how to do a big cheesy smile, how to work the computer, how to turn on the coffee urns, and where the key to the sticker drawer is kept. Then they check out an ill-fitting lumpy polyester suit from wardrobe, making sure the inseam is all wrong and the pants are bunched around their ankles, and they're off and running!

The "concierge" at any deluxe Disney hotel, on either coast, is simply a joke. They can't do anything for you that you can't already do for yourself on your iPhone, except give you stickers or a cookie. (But I bet there's already an app for that.) They have no pull, they have no clout, they have no street cred, and they have no contacts. And they probably don't even know they are eligible for gratuities if they complete your request, which is why they don't even try or know how to start.

They're simply worthless, beyond telling you information already in your park guidemap or on Disney's website.

You're better off hiring one of Disney's VIP Tour Guides and making it clear to her within the first 10 minutes that you are capable of tipping well, and that's about the only way to open doors at Disney that a "Concierge" in any real hotel in any mid-sized city can.

Disney could just as easily call them Astronauts, or Neurosurgeons, or Tax Attorneys, because labeling them a "Concierge" quite obviously didn't make them one.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
I don't base my opinion on my frustration with how WDW has been run for the last decade. I base it on the numbers Disney and Universal report on their financial disclosures.

Right now, Disney's domestic parks are kicking some major financial backside, with record attendance, record occupied room nights, record Per Capita Guest Spending, and record Per Room Guest Spending. Next quarter should see Disney break the $300/night PRGS barrier for the very first time.

Financially, WDW is back to being the juggernaut it was last century. Operating margins are up, back to historically normal levels. Whether you like it or not, more people than ever are visiting WDW and it's largely because of the vacationers that are being drawn to Orlando by Diagon Alley.

Yes, if you're looking at simply the last few quarters. I'd like a longer term view before I proclaim WDW the ''juggernaut'' it was in the 80s and 90s. We both also know, and you've even posted using the numbers, that taking NGE costs out of the equation has contributed to the rosy financials (not that WDW hasn't performed well of late, it has).

I just don't know how you leap to the conclusion that WDW is getting a Diagon Boost. It's a nice theory to toss out. And it likely has some validity. But not to the extent you're implying without the data needed to back it up (and, in this case, that data doesn't exist).

Plenty of WDW visitors are still booking a week at 'Da World' in a CBR Pirate room with DDP included and transport by DME. They aren't going to UNI at all because they aren't leaving the bubble.

It's also reasonable to say that many folks drawn to O-Town specifically for Diagon Alley may not have visited WDW at all, isn't it? Or that they went to the MK for a day and EPCOT for another? How do we know? It isn't compiled in ANY of Disney or UNI's data.

There's just no solid way of knowing. Look at all the conventioneers that come to the OCCC for huge events and never set foot in ANY Disney/UNI park unless there's a private event for them at one or both of the resorts.

On a tangent from the above, but something I've wondered for a long time (and you may or may not be able to answer, but you're probably the best bet here) is how does Disney compile Per Room Guest Spend and how does it include DVC owners and, if so, how are they calculated into the equation?

The first phase of WWOHP popped the WDW Bubble. Back then, WDW attendance and hotel occupancy declined as, for the first time, Guests combined WDW and Universal visits in appreciable numbers. Now each time Universal adds something, it's not stealing any more days from WDW. As it was in 2010, Universal remains a 2-day visit for most vacationers. Now when Universal adds something exciting, Uni ends up drawing more business to Orlando, which ends up helping both Uni and WDW. That's not going to change until Universal figures out how to become more than a 2-day visit. Uni's banking on a water park being that draw; I wish I could be as sure.

I certainly believe that was true, but that is coming from an incredibly Disney-centric viewpoint. I've also never seen one Disney or UNI document to that effect. In 2010, WDW was still struggling due to the economic collapse and offering massive discounting. How do you know that UNI didn't get people in with Potter in 2010 and many of those folks decided ''this is so much better than the same old MAGIC at Disney'' or ''my kids enjoy these experiences so much more than another ride on Pirates or RnRc'' and have changed their O-Town vacation habits greatly? It seems very naive to think that people simply always visited WDW, suddenly discovered UNI post-Potter and now give it two days of what is still a WDW-based vacation.

I could argue (I won't, but I could) the point that when WDW decided to make the MK (the quintessential castle park that most people will always view as 'Disney World') a pricier one day experience, they were telegraphing to the industry that their other O-Town gates were struggling and that many people, indeed, were buying one-day tickets and not 9-day WDW vacations with all the trimmings.

Sure, the more people who visit O-Town, the better it is for Disney ... and UNI ... and SW ... and Darden ... and IHOP ... and Starbucks ... and the mom and pop Florida gift shops along 192 and I-Drive. But I'm not sure where your certainty that UNI visitors are largely WDW visitors who are stopping by for 1-2 days at most comes from. ... And I do think the water park will help UNI, just as Disney and SW's water parks have done very well for them.

This year's approximate 1% decline in domestic available room nights is unimportant. The last 2 quarter's approximate 2.3 million occupied room nights are all-time records for Disney. Never have so many rooms been filled at WDW and never have Guests paid so much for them.

It doesn't matter if you or I like what's happening at WDW. Instead, we need to accept that WDW's business has been booming for the last 2 quarters.

I don't disagree with the last six months being good for Disney (or UNI). I'm just not at all convinced of who is making up that crowd (at either resort). That goes into a whole other topic that can be discussed and debated ad nauseum (I think it is a very different mix.)

I just don't see how sending Disney Guests to UNI is ever a good thing. For every Guest who spends half a day there, complains and rants on forums like this after they rushed back to the Pixie Dust about the TMs, the scary coasters, the overrated Potter etc., how many decide they are getting a far better product over there and really don't wish to vacation at WDW in the fashion they have in the past?

Is Disney really that confident in its O-Town product, that it will gladly send its Guests over to sample the wonders that UNI has been creating?

Sorry, but I have sincere doubts on that one.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Not arguing with your premise, But why do the HOTELS then get the same miserly level of investment and poor maintenance if they are the focus of the business?.

I'd argue that point somewhat. I think the resorts do get reinvestment. I have mentioned here in this thread how nice the new BC rooms are (and I 'toured' about 20 of them). Of course, the workmanship and fit and finish is of the quality that it wouldn't be accepted by the GM of a Hilton Garden Inn near the Tulsa airport. But I saw the 'management team' about to get their walk-throughs to sign off, and all I could think was if one of them actually had a salary of above $40,000, I'd be shocked. They don't even get what their product is supposed to be, so how can they have standards of said product?

FWIW, I actually strongly considered giving them a lecture on what was wrong and why, but I figured it would be a waste of time and once they figured out I worked in media/entertainment and that I knew the head manager of WDW quite well, calls would go out to George Kalogridis and his office and to the people at Celebration Place and I wanted none of that.

As to the poor maintenance, which is generally always a factor (although some resorts like DAK Lodge are noticeably managed better than others), I think it's simple: they can get away with it, just like they can get away with soaking you on your PotC cruise while half the effects don't work.

WDW1974

Original Poster
You're welcome. Whilst If You Had Wings is another topic, it wasn't originally planned nor was the rest of the land. Something was planned of course, including a Peoplemover and an indoor Rollercoaster, but plans were still very fluid in 1971 and nowhere near finalised. Indeed, for the first 18 months there was nothing being build south and East in Tomorrowland. Less not completed, more not started.

NFL... Yes, a lot of land mass. Very pretty. But no substance. For the price tag it's regarded inside as not as brilliant as was hoped for. Especially for the price tag. Not to mention the park overall received a net gain of zero attractions and attendence didn't bump for what was paid.

I still recall the construction walls on my very first visit to WDW as a wee wittle Spirit (who could have guessed what a role construction walls would play in my future at such a time?) They were so mod and far out 70s colors (think yellow, purple, pink, orange stripes ... maybe even some red, but would have to look at old photos). They didn't seem to cause crazy overcrowding. But in those days, strollers were for babies and toddlers, wheelchairs were for people with injuries or disabilities who needed them and ECVs didn't exist. The average Guest also didn't weigh approximately 271 pounds either.

Macca250

image.jpg
Bob: "George. I'm really sorry about this.... But we can't ride anything else tonight."

Goerge: "Why not?"

Bob: "We have this new thing where you have to book your rides 60 days in advance. I forgot."

George: "That's stupid. But you're the CEO, cant you hook us up??"

Bob: "No. The MagicBands.... They know everything about you. EVERYTHING. There's nothing I can do. 60 days in advance or no dice"

George: "But... I want to ride Big Thunder."

Bob: "They know George. THEY KNOW."

WDW1974

Original Poster
A deep discussion. Here are some very general groups of guests and what in my opinion is likely happening with them as far as visiting the parks.
  1. The disenfranchised regulars (highly represented on this board). These guests are/were either locals or very regular visitors (more than once a year, trips lasting more than a week). For this group there are not enough changes at WDW to keep people interested in coming back as regularly or for some at all. This group also recognizes every missing detail from every ride and is just tired of seeing the same parades and shows multiple times a year for years on end. This group typically views DHS and AK as 1/2 day parks. They don't visit the parks as frequently as they once did. This group has a disproportionately large presence on this thread, but make up a relatively small group overall.
  2. The pixie dusted regulars. Same visiting patterns as #1 but they don't see the problems or don't care about them. This group also includes people who recognize the decline, but still view WDW as a good value and a preferred vacation spot. This group still goes back just as much as ever. This group is also disproportionately represented on this board, less so on this thread than #1. They also make up a relatively small group of visitors overall.
  3. There is a rather substantial sized group of repeat visitors who don't come back as frequently as groups 1 and 2. They aren't necessarily theme park fanboys but may visit online sites from time to time to get info or see what's happening. This group may visit every few years or even as frequently as every other year (especially when their kids are young). They don't tend to notice as many flaws and shows and rides seem less stale because they haven't seen them in potentially a few years. For this group it may be hard to get through parks like DHS or AK in a day because they want to do most if not everything. The attitude is who knows when I'll be back and my kids may not be into this anymore by the time of our next trip. This group tends to not really mind the planning ahead required for a WDW trip since it's not every year or multiple times a year for them. Planning meals and even ride times for a vacation every single year can get tedious. This group is probably a mixed bag as far as more recent frequency of return. They may also end up being most sensitive to price increases.
  4. The final group is the once in a lifetime visitor. Probably a large group. Rite of passage for the kids. Maybe spending significantly more money then a normal vacation (possibly saved for several years to afford). They usually want to do everything in a trip because they don't know if they will be back. This group is as strong as ever. They don't visit places like this forum. Don't know anything about slips in quality or stale parks. Nothing is stale to them since they have never seen any of it. This group seems to be as common as ever despite price increases.
I think the reason we hear so much about people not visiting as frequently is because of the large number of people in group #1 here. Attendance is down with that group. Probably a lot (especially locals). Groups 3 and 4 are making up for it though. Things like DVC also potentially convert people who may have been in group 4 into group 3 or more likely group 3 into group 2. Creating a more loyal group of visitors who visit more frequently.

Excellent post and I agree with most of it, but I'd say there are far more groups:

1.) One and dones (right of passage/saved up for six years types);
2.) First-timers (may wind up as part of No. 1 or not);
3.) Relatively newbies (people who have been visiting largely since Y2K or slightly before ... they don't know a WDW that's all that different from this one);
4.) Locals/APers (visit regularly and may or may not have issues with the way the parks look or are run);
5.) Lifestylers/BRAND advocates (people who moved to O-Town to leech off the Mouse, many who have serious mental health issues, many who are just looking for freebies that seem available to anyone with a social media footprint);
6.) DVCers ( again, could be older Guests or people who visited for the first time in 2007 and bought right in. Some are happy with the place, others wonder how this WDW isn't a Bizarro version of the WDW they fell in love with);
7.) Internationals (who can fit into -- and do -- almost every category above);
8.) Long-timers/chronics (people like myself who have been coming since there wasn't a traffic light on property, since there was only one park in a forest of green that seemed to go on forever ... people who were awed by the sheer audacity of building EPCOT Center in the swamps in the early 80s when O-Town was much more a town than a city, let alone an urban sprawl zone. People who are incredibly unhappy with the way the resort has been run dating back to the end of the last century. People who, frankly, know better and realize that between rubes, Social Media whores and Disney PR, it will be tough to ever even approach the standards and quality that existed for WDW's first quarter century).

And the thing is, those groups all have sub-groups too. From CPers who move to the area to folks who love UNI and SW to folks who would never set foot in any of them to retirees etc.)

It's not simple. But I can tell you which group management has the most disdain for, and that speaks incredibly poorly of them not simply as custodians of the Disney Legacy, but also as simple business people.

Absimilliard

So, the topic du jour is what a concierge is and how WDW resorts fail miserably at this role?
I hate to page @TP2000 to the thread, but he has commented on this in the past far better than I can after a very trying weekend.

But let's just say you'd have to be a rube to actually think a WDW concierge (even on the 'club level') is anything special at all. Sure, they can give your kids stickers (maybe even a plush in special situations) and they can make sure you get extra rice krispie treats and an autographed picture from Princess Tangled or Princess Frozen.

It all starts and ends there, though.

If WDW were any place else, then you'd go to your concierge at noon and ask for a table for dinner at Le Cellier or Cindy's Royal Table and Photo Feast or 'Ohana and ... voila ... you'd be set.

If WDW were any place else, then you'd go to your concierge and ask for arrangements to be taken to UNI, perhaps even arrange a VIP Tour, and ... voila ... you'd have a car waiting ... or a cab.

If WDW were any place else and you wanted directions to the hottest local gay bar, then you'd go to your concierge and ... voila ... they'd hand you a piece of paper and ask if you needed dierctions.

If WDW were any place else ... well, it isn't. It shows.

I completely agree. During one of my recent training sessions, we were given a great example of a concierge who responded like this to a "silly request" from a client at his hotel. First, the man ask for a great steakhouse, a call is made and a table is waiting for the couple as soon as their cab pulls up in front. Then, when he came back, he complimented the concierge on his recommendation and then said he would like... a horse. The man though he made a nice joke and went to sleep..

The next morning, he received a package from the same concierge. In the package, the concierge apologised for not having a horse that morning for them at the hotel, but he attached a list of horses for sale within a 10 minutes radius and that he would gladly assist them with the purchase!

That is what I expect a Concierge to do and what real concierges are trained to do. TP2000 and wdw1974 hit it right on the head.

While we're on the subject of hotels and odd requests, in Montreal, there is a very interesting tradition at the Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth Hotel. Basically, any client that shows up with his horse has to be given free boarding and food for the horse.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I completely agree. During one of my recent training sessions, we were given a great example of a concierge who responded like this to a "silly request" from a client at his hotel. First, the man ask for a great steakhouse, a call is made and a table is waiting for the couple as soon as their cab pulls up in front. Then, when he came back, he complimented the concierge on his recommendation and then said he would like... a horse. The man though he made a nice joke and went to sleep..

The next morning, he received a package from the same concierge. In the package, the concierge apologised for not having a horse that morning for them at the hotel, but he attached a list of horses for sale within a 10 minutes radius and that he would gladly assist them with the purchase!

That is what I expect a Concierge to do and what real concierges are trained to do. TP2000 and wdw1974 hit it right on the head.

While we're on the subject of hotels and odd requests, in Montreal, there is a very interesting tradition at the Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth Hotel. Basically, any client that shows up with his horse has to be given free boarding and food for the horse.
I've stayed at several concierge level hotels, including the W and Marriotts in major cities, and I've not experienced that level of service ever...sorry.

Then again, I don't really ask.

Concierge isn't about getting you into the latest show that you didn't book, or making you feel "rich", it's about an added level of service AT the resort.

If you stay at the Brooklyn Marriott concierge and ask them to get you into a sold out Broadway premier show, odds are good unless you are celebrity or someone with a name (not just a budget for concierge for a few nights) you won't get anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom