A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDW1974

Original Poster
Great post, sir.

They wanted Lee MacDonald, the accountant from London, to interview for that job in Shanghai?

Yeah....right...:hilarious:

In the words of a little kid I know, "That sounds made-up."

Thanks. I was shocked that he had claimed that. It would be akin to you crowing that Dolly Parton wanted you to run Dollywood, but you refused because you didn't have the ''requisite skill set''.

Oh, and the job is based Singapore, not Shanghai (that's where he and his family left and never, as near as I can tell, went back). Head of Asia Pacific for Four Seasons.

I've always thought Leemac was more gadfly/fraud than legit. Statements like that tend to prove I am correct. He just talks a good game.

PhotoDave219

Heh...I had lunch (Dine with an Imagineer) with Diego Parris in 2012 two months after RSR opened, and I mentioned that "RSR seems like nothing more than a well skinned and slightly improved Test Track."

The glare was ice cold.

Now that I've ridden it...well, now I understand why. I wasn't far off.

Well.

You're right. Tho I wanna see it in person.

AEfx

I think @Lee mentioned that ET would be okay. I think. It was lost in the jumble of fanboi Marvel delusions.

I thought so too, but "past the footprint of Kidzone" scared the beejezzus out of me.

I know it's not the height of technology, but it is one of the cooler old school dark rides still out there. And now that Maelstrom is gone, the only remaining oddly creepy one around, LOL. Some of those ancient effects are still pretty effective, as well. It also has the most convincing queue in Orlando. I'd be sad if it was gone.

That's exactly what's lacking in today's WDI.

Even top quality attractions like RSRs at DCA aren't breaking new ground or even using existing tech and new ways. They're just adapting it to (and I hate saying this) tell different stories. ***And I don't want to sound like I'm complaining about RSRs. I love it. But even that is set in a sea of mediocrity or crap ... like the new Fantasyland.

See, I'm okay with that concept (using ride systems to tell different stories) - but they aren't even doing THAT very well. I'd be happier than I could ever express if we got a couple more EMV rides, long and detailed omni-movers, or more boat rides. For instance, instead of bothering with that weird tilting thing in 7DMT, I wish they'd instead spent the money on another show scene or two.

Mike S

pretty sure some of these are fanmade and not officials.
They are all official, otherwise I wouldn't have posted them.
Will answer out of order since you are awake and here!

Nintendo will have a significant presence at UNI-FL. This land will not be simply in the footprint of Kidzone. Larger.
I've already mentioned Beijing. I'd expect you'll see something pop up in Hollywood soon too (that's just an assumption based on something I was told). It goes without saying that Japan will see stuff as a result too.
tumblr_n35fr14IxQ1tw1vhco1_250.gif

AEfx

Unless something just (and I mean just!) happened, ET isn't going home.

I even heard it would be getting some love.

Oh good. I'm wondering if that love may be the one blight on it I was going to mention - the Spielberg spiel at the beginning is a bit old in the tooth - since he's a regularly seen Hollywood figure and seeing him circa 1990 is a bit jarring and unnecessarily makes the ride feel dated from the get-go.

I can't remember if it was real inside info or fanboi blather, but I recall someone saying that Spielberg was OK with them demolishing the USH version (which was always inferior) since they were keeping the USH one. Not that they were contractually obligated, but because Universal obviously likes being in business with him and likes to keep him happy.

WDW1974

Original Poster
This is a short but good read. Like any game, let the other team have too many unanswered points, and you lose the game. Disney's great hope is that they have the resources to get back in the game. I hope they don't rest on their memories of glory days.

WDW has largely stopped in the mid 90s (two decades ago) and been resting on the achievements of the greats who built and nurtured it. Sure, DAK is amazing and opened in 1998, but it is still incomplete.

But anyone who looks at just what has (or hasn't) happened since Robert A. Iger took the helm of TWDC should tell them all they need to know about priorities. Far more has been destroyed on his watch than created.

WDW1974

Original Poster
That turned out better than I thought it would. I like it!

You can tell that's the effect they wanted to do in 1969, but just didn't have the right technology to pull it off. A great addition to Disneyland's Haunted Mansion.

I'll let Angie and I be the judge of that soon enough. And, folks, PLEASE stick video clips in Spoilers because some of us don't want to have stuff ruined before we see it.

MerlinTheGoat

I think certain children absolutely have valuable input on dining. I have friends with kids who have been exposed to fine dining and I'd trust those kids to know true quality cuisine versus some mid-30s dude who enjoys the Golden Coral and thinks he is eating exotic cuisine when he hits the Taco Bell drive thru.

As to Chefs de France (is that the topic here?), I haven't dined here in at least five years. But it once was a regular (i.e multiple times a year) locale for a Spirited meal. The quality went waaaay down from say the early 90s to the early 00s. Then, came the DDP and the infamous year when they removed the $26 filet from the dinner menu and added a $25 hamburger in its place (seriously!) during the 'free' period. After that, I only dined here once for a full meal (on a CM friend's 50% off meal coupon) and a few other times for onion soup, a glass of wine and a great dessert.

Yes, the quality has gone way down and no matter the age, if you have discerning taste, I'd trust that.
Thanks, i've seen kids like that as well. I think a kid raised by mature and tasteful parents can surprise you with how mature and tasteful they can be. I'm not talking about snobbish and ill tempered people when referring to taste, just people who care about the food supply, meal preparation and what they put into their (and their kid's) bodies. Kids are very impressionable to the adult taste and behavior, they want to act like adults. When they see an adult act like an immature heathen (as is sadly not uncommon, becoming more common as time goes on), they're likely to mimic what they see and may even be set on a poor path in life due to it. The opposite is true as well. A little maturity in the parent (hopefully raising them with some taste and not just being a hands off kind of parent) goes a long way I think. Another trick is not to talk down to them when it isn't necessary. Not talking down to kids is another philosophy classic Disney was careful to follow when designing attractions.

That's not to say I haven't junked it out at times for the record, and even enjoyed it to an extent (except McD's, can't say i've ever truly enjoyed a meal there objectively speaking). But my tastes are rich (quite the contrast to my bank account), always have been and always will be. I have however found a way to retain standards in food even on a budget though, so it's not just for snobs and the rich if you're creative and willing to learn some skills. I honestly think that food is one area at least where everyone could benefit from being more snobbish about. Not being picky about your taste in food leads to horrible consequences in the food supply for everyone.

In 2010 I had the French onion soup at Chefs, it was ok to decent, was a bit watered down and not much flavor though. Maybe I hit it on an off day or something. The gnocchi sample I tasted the other day at the Flower and Garden France booth was actually more to the quality that I remember having at Chefs as a child, I thoroughly enjoyed it (what small amount there was).

I've pretty much given up on anything that isn't QS in WS. I've had some good, but not exceptional, meals at the Hacienda and Biergarten the last few years. Had a good meal at Nine Dragons too, but not exceptional. Coral Reef was amazing from opening until the late 90s. It then got good around 2002 for a few years. But when you have a seafood restaurant that has chicken ceasar salads and pork chops on the menu and no lobster, something is wrong. ... I've never been to Napoli, but those locations are also third parties (Patina). Tutto is good, but Il Mulino at the Swan is much better and classier and has a much wider menu (and you don't need to book it months out).
I ate at Napoli a couple of times in 2010 and 2011. While I wouldn't consider my experience with authentic Italian food substantial compared to my experience with real French food for instance (I wish we had taken the opportunity to visit Italy when mom took us to Europe as a kid), I did quite enjoy the meal. I had the vegetable lasagna and one of the deserts (forgot what it was called), had nothing negative to say about the quality of food. At least at that point in time, no telling what 4-5 years has done to the quality. Being a third party is likely a major boon though (didn't realize it was 3rd party). There were some girls sitting at the next table who had a pizza and seemed to be somewhat neutral about it however (I didn't try the pizza though so no way to know). I will say that it is immensely overpriced though, i've eaten at Italian restaurants in my current home of Naples Florida that were just as good (admittedly great as well so no real shame on the comparative quality at Napoli), at a relatively small fraction of the cost.

WDW1974

Original Poster
However, it's wishful thinking to write "Sooner or later, Disney is going to have to address the 800-ton gorilla in the room."

The unfortunate reality for those of us who want to see real improvements at WDW is that even if Kong draws more vacationers to Orlando, they are still going to spend 2 days at Universal and the rest of their vacations at WDW, giving Disney little reason to rush anything at WDW.

I wish it were not the case but, sadly, I fear it is. :(

I usually agree with you. Not this time. Folks who spend two (or more) days at UNI (or even exploring the new I-Drive Live complex) ARE going to take days away from Disney. Just a day hurts. Two days really hurts. When people start taking (and they already do) Central FL vacations and not WDW ones, The Mouse will be in trouble.

My gut says the ignorance and arrogance of the folks at Disney will allow this to happen largely before they wake up to it ... they had 88% room capacity this past quarter, right? (of course, many units at high end Poly and BC were not in service and many at moderate CBR were also taken out) That's the number I think they focus on. They don't seem to get that just like DVCers, who in ever increasing numbers, opt to stay at WDW, but limit their time in Disney parks or dining at Disney locations, there's nothing stopping people from staying at AoA or PO or BW for a week and only going to WDW parks 2-3 days. I'm not sure we aren't close to the day that happens.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I doubt MK gets any new additions for a min of 5 years because other parks are getting the attention and hey have some major work to continue to fix. Plus they did just get their biggest upgrade even if we don't like it here in park history.

Can we all agree to stop repeating WDW PR spin/lies?

The Not So New Fantasyland wasn't the largest expansion in MK history. Not close.

Please see Tomorrowland 1975-76.

EDIT: Posting late when stressed can lead to mistakes that my pals might have an issues with if I correct, so I'll just state the Tomorrowland expansion was more of a 1973-76 deal.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
I have been saying the following since about 2004 online. It bears repeating because it showcases a fundamental shift in how TWDC runs WDW and how it has changed and how it's competition does.

WDW is now a hotel, timeshare and real estate business with theme parks as ancillary. That's it. All of that Dreams, Wishes and MAGIC crap? All of those memories and nostalgia? All those MAGIC moments with family and loved ones?

It's all designed to sell, sell, sell ... hotels, timeshares and real estate.

That's why the parks get the absolute smallest amount of physical investment (no, NGE crap here, save it for young writers used as tools by Disney) possible. And that is all on Bob Iger and Co.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yes just look at McDonald's ...decade after decade of massive growth without improving until suddenly....bam Now the damage is done and they can't figure out how to fix it

Bingo!!! As recently as three or four years ago, McD's was doing great (here and abroad). Seemed like it could do no wrong. Now, they are totally lost and making kneejerk decisions (removing half their menu items, introducing another bland chicken sandwich).

But, no, Disney will never be in trouble. That's impossible.

ParentsOf4

I usually agree with you. Not this time. Folks who spend two (or more) days at UNI (or even exploring the new I-Drive Live complex) ARE going to take days away from Disney. Just a day hurts. Two days really hurts. When people start taking (and they already do) Central FL vacations and not WDW ones, The Mouse will be in trouble.

My gut says the ignorance and arrogance of the folks at Disney will allow this to happen largely before they wake up to it ... they had 88% room capacity this past quarter, right? (of course, many units at high end Poly and BC were not in service and many at moderate CBR were also taken out) That's the number I think they focus on. They don't seem to get that just like DVCers, who in ever increasing numbers, opt to stay at WDW, but limit their time in Disney parks or dining at Disney locations, there's nothing stopping people from staying at AoA or PO or BW for a week and only going to WDW parks 2-3 days. I'm not sure we aren't close to the day that happens.
I don't base my opinion on my frustration with how WDW has been run for the last decade. I base it on the numbers Disney and Universal report on their financial disclosures.

Right now, Disney's domestic parks are kicking some major financial backside, with record attendance, record occupied room nights, record Per Capita Guest Spending, and record Per Room Guest Spending. Next quarter should see Disney break the $300/night PRGS barrier for the very first time.

Financially, WDW is back to being the juggernaut it was last century. Operating margins are up, back to historically normal levels. Whether you like it or not, more people than ever are visiting WDW and it's largely because of the vacationers that are being drawn to Orlando by Diagon Alley.

The first phase of WWOHP popped the WDW Bubble. Back then, WDW attendance and hotel occupancy declined as, for the first time, Guests combined WDW and Universal visits in appreciable numbers. Now each time Universal adds something, it's not stealing any more days from WDW. As it was in 2010, Universal remains a 2-day visit for most vacationers. Now when Universal adds something exciting, Uni ends up drawing more business to Orlando, which ends up helping both Uni and WDW. That's not going to change until Universal figures out how to become more than a 2-day visit. Uni's banking on a water park being that draw; I wish I could be as sure.

This year's approximate 1% decline in domestic available room nights is unimportant. The last 2 quarter's approximate 2.3 million occupied room nights are all-time records for Disney. Never have so many rooms been filled at WDW and never have Guests paid so much for them.

It doesn't matter if you or I like what's happening at WDW. Instead, we need to accept that WDW's business has been booming for the last 2 quarters.

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

While I acknowledge that people who visit Universal ALSO tend to buy WDW tickets as well, I would reason that Disney wants more than just ticket sales. They want (or at least should want if they like money) people in THEIR parks so they can control their spending habits while at the parks. A lot of people buy food and merchandise while touring the parks. Selling you overpriced food/booze/merchandise is a huge part of the profit picture i'm sure, it's a potentially dangerous problem if people are spending a day or two at UNI instead of a WDW park and spending money on merch and food (meals, butterbeer, wands, Kong tshirts and whatever else they have). Doesn't matter if you already paid for a WDW ticket because it's another immense chunk of profit they're allowing to escape. I can't imagine that a rational and reasonably competent Disney executive would like the sound of that prospect (not to assume there are any left though).

It's also clear that Universal is planning to become more aggressive in the hotel market as well. We'll see how that pans out. It depends on how aggressive Universal is with their park expansion, and how slow Disney is with theirs. I'm not going to make assumptions about this aspect of the business however.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom