A Spirited Perfect Ten

Mike S

Oh its coming..... someday.

I havent heard anything new on the subject tho.
Believe me, I know.............
image.jpg

Animaniac93-98

Terminator, Shrek, Twister, Mummy, Despicable Me, Fear Factor, MIB and Dudley are all fairly questionable IPs since they're relevant but potentially could date themselves (or already have!!)

I don't think The Mummy will date too much as an attraction. While the Branden Fraser series is over, the ride ignores that for the most part and has it's own, easy to follow story line.

Universal Mummy movies date back to 1932 and include the Hammer titles distributed under their name in the USA. Another Mummy reboot is scheduled for 2017 as part of a broader effort to update the overall monster brand. The Mummy is much like other monsters or characters like Tarzan and Zorro. Even if you are not familiar with one particular version, the concept is known by the general public.

If they want to change the clip of Fraser at the end for some other actor, that woudn't be too hard to do.

MerlinTheGoat

Yes just look at McDonald's ...decade after decade of massive growth without improving until suddenly....bam Now the damage is done and they can't figure out how to fix it
I'm no expert on the matter (avoid McD's like the plague). But I might recommend a good start being to serve meat that doesn't at some point during its manufacturing process resemble the pink slime from Ghostbusters 2.

Last edited:

Cosmic Commando

That's just it...folks can try to be dismissive of Nintendo, but the fact that Universal has them and Disney doesn't is potentially a massive a blow for Disney in terms of merchandising, enough of one to register on the Potter scale.

Nintendo and Disney have an almost creepy level of similarity in their fanbases - children, and nostalgic adults. Both groups are the "whales" of the merchandising industry, who consume the bulk of it. They also both share a very similar "family friendly all ages" reputation (something which again expands Universals hand here).
I know we joke about this kind of thing, but I totally would have bought Mickey-as-Mario and Stitch-as-Pikachu plushes! The merchandise for Nintendo could be big for Uni.

Phil12

Yeah, I don't think Kong is the tipping point. The tipping point was Potter 2.0. Not only in terms of the "numbers side", but also the final blow to anyone being able to claim that WDW offered the superior theme park ride experience. Say what you will about it, but just the Hogwarts Express alone is more exciting for theme park development than any other single attraction WDW has added this century.

When I look at that graph, I see two things - one, wow, there is some empirical evidence of the failure of AK, and two, WDW has missed decades of opportunity for real growth.
But from the perspective of history, it's clear that a new benchmark is about to be set at WDW with the addition of the Frozen Experience in the WS at EPCOT. It will redefine guest encounters with all things that are theme park related. Visitors of all ages will exit from that attraction singing the theme song and looking for warm hugs. After leaving the Frozen Pavilion the goodness will stick with people. They'll even be pleased with the sounds of chain saws echoing across the WS Lagoon.

In the future, Disney historians will look back to the time when the Frozen attraction was first introduced into the WS and wonder why it was not added sooner.

bhg469

The Hulk is by far the best steel roller coaster on the East Coast. (I'd put Apollo's Chariot at #2). Please don't screw with it.

I thought I kept hearing it's getting a retrack. Obviously I'm no insider but it is a cool coaster And I hope that it's an improvement at the end of the day.

jakeman

Well given that you admit to your attempts to instigate trouble by trying to "push someone over the edge" (as if you're under the impressions that this is some kind of high stakes game of mental stability lol), there's not much point in responding. I will add some bits of knowledge here for you to mull over (or not since you've pretty much fessed up to trolling for kicks). Believe what you want though.

Small children are more than capable of developing good taste in both food or entertainment, but a lot hinges on having a decent parent (themselves with good taste) to guide the kid in the proper direction. Unfortunately most parents don't give a crap what their kids do for entertainment, and it's extremely apparent that an alarming and ever increasing number of moms/dads have zero interest in what they feed their kids (or themselves for that matter, cue in the Honey Boo Boo crowds there). My mom thankfully was somewhat more invested in developing decent taste in me as a child, at even an early age I developed a much higher standard of taste in food (and entertainment) than likely most kids are being raised with. This was to the detriment of mom's bank account no question, but I was fortunate to have been exposed to good culture as a small child. She was also eager to ensure that I never lost the memories I had as a kid (i've a relatively formidable memory of even the earliest trips I took to WDW). If you raise a kid with McDonalds and other junk food garbage without exposing them to superior food and helping to develop better taste, then their tastes aren't exactly going to develop and they won't understand what sort of food is good or bad. At least not until later in life, though they may never do so as adult either. There are adults everywhere with poor taste in food, McDonalds and similar quality "food" is actually enjoyed by a disturbing quantity of adults and definitely doesn't just cater towards kids (there are even McDonalds fan forums out there, which I would have considered ridiculous and stupid even as a 5 year old).

As for trying hard to fit in, if I cared about fitting in then I would be on the side of the drones who think WDW has never been better. The majority of whom likely never visited WDW prior to the past 10-15 years for proper perspective. The type who also try to make absurd revisionist comments about how original EPCOT was a "critical and financial failure that everyone hated and avoided like the plague".

I myself hadn't visited this forum before returning to WDW again in 2010 (and my most recent trip to WDW was 1997 at that point). So I had not been exposed to negative opinions or been made aware of the sharp quality dropoff, that was a reality I discovered for myself (it was however apparent even before entering the parks when I caught a whiff of the stench now permeating the monorails). Only months later after my disappointing experience did I even discover this forum and the same complaints that were all too common. Many people who are much older and with more WDW experience than myself, as well as from employees and others tied to the inner workings of the company who know better than any of us. Heck, there have even been more cutbacks since just 2010, I brought up the bathroom cleanliness in this topic several times.

While you may claim i'm trying to stir up trouble and negativity, you're way off base in your assumptions. Again I don't expect you to believe me as I would speculate that you've long since made your mind up about me and others who share similar views. But I take absolutely NO pleasure whatsoever in the negative statements i'm compelled to write regarding Disney. Disney was an immense part of my childhood, and WDW is even still a cherished place for me as an adult. Not a pleasant thing to have to post negative things about my beloved EPCOT. But objective criticism about poor quality business decisions are sorely needed.

Food quality improvements are hit or miss, some places have gotten better as articos stated (or with the new restaurants), but some are still getting worse all the time. As I said I am a fan of the Tangerine Cafe and have actually noticed a slight improvement since several years ago (they had been using some very bland and generic white bread, but this last visit they provided a piece of pita bread which was a lot better), so Morocco seems to be doing something right. But the Beauty and the Beast dining options are across the board disappointing, and the cheapo quick service meals at places like Starlight Cafe and Pecos Bills have homogenized their food to death and even plummeted to McDonalds or worse quality. The Food and Wine kiosks I sampled last year were very disappointing and bland. In F&W's case it was my first time trying the food there, so I don't know whether it has gotten better or worse than it originally was (it's poor regardless). I guess I just expected more from it given that it's a special seasonal event that one would think would have better quality food. Interestingly though the dish I sampled at France's kiosk during the Flower and Garden event last week was actually quite good.
Here's what I've learned from this wall of text. You're kind of stuck up about food and entertainment because your mom exposed you to it. You went to Disney when you were 7-ish. You went back when you were 23-ish and probably infinitely more stuck up. Disney didn't change all that much, but you had changed a great deal. While WDW may have declined from a 9 to a 5 at that point, your snobbery was exponentially greater than when you were 7. What was probably a 3 was now well past 11 on the snob-o-meter.

While there are issues at Disney, and always have been, you basically went to Disney when you were the target audience and you returned as a stuck up 20-something with all the righteous indignation that accompanies that. You were appalled that WDW did not fill you with awe as it did when you were 7, but instead of the self reflection required to understand that most people change from the time they are 7 to the time they are 23 (kudos to you for not, apparently) you blamed the park.

You came here and found a group that shares your sentiment, but given that you had no real adult experience at WDW other than it failed to meet your lofty expectations, you fumble to articulate the reason you were disappointed and you've fallen into a pattern of hilarious mimicry of others points with long winded post containing little substance.

As for your repetitive declaration of superior taste in food and entertainment: Good for you but the real world doesn't really care, and there is more benefit to being able to relate across all levels then demanding people rise to yours and demeaning people that don't. Just some unasked for advice from someone who enjoys a Quarter Pounder, but has also eaten at great restaurants in Paris as well (along with Sydney, London, Santiago, and of course WDW and DLR).

Also regarding dining at Disney. It's been better. It's been worse. It is still very easy to find a good place to have a great meal. In the time that I'm willing to trust my memory (from the mid-90s on, even though I've been going since the 80s) it's never been a paragon of fine dining except in a few locations, at least not compared to fine dining in the real world.

Lastly, everyone knows that beer is a superior product in every respect to wine. Except French beer. Those are mostly horrible.

PhotoDave219

Here's what I've learned from this wall of text. You're kind of stuck up about food and entertainment because your mom exposed you to it. You went to Disney when you were 7-ish. You went back when you were 23-ish and probably infinitely more stuck up. Disney didn't change all that much, but you had changed a great deal. While WDW may have declined from a 9 to a 5 at that point, your snobbery was exponentially greater than when you were 7. What was probably a 3 was now well past 11 on the snob-o-meter.

While there are issues at Disney, and always have been, you basically went to Disney when you were the target audience and you returned as a stuck up 20-something with all the righteous indignation that accompanies that. You were appalled that WDW did not fill you with awe as it did when you were 7, but instead of the self reflection required to understand that most people change from the time they are 7 to the time they are 23 (kudos to you for not, apparently) you blamed the park.

You came here and found a group that shares your sentiment, but given that you had no real adult experience at WDW other than it failed to meet your lofty expectations, you fumble to articulate the reason you were disappointed and you've fallen into a pattern of hilarious mimicry of others points with long winded post containing little substance.

As for your repetitive declaration of superior taste in food and entertainment: Good for you but the real world doesn't really care, and there is more benefit to being able to relate across all levels then demanding people rise to yours and demeaning people that don't. Just some unasked for advice from someone who enjoys a Quarter Pounder, but has also eaten at great restaurants in Paris as well (along with Sydney, London, Santiago, and of course WDW and DLR).

Also regarding dining at Disney. It's been better. It's been worse. It is still very easy to find a good place to have a great meal. In the time that I'm willing to trust my memory (from the mid-90s on, even though I've been going since the 80s) it's never been a paragon of fine dining except in a few locations, at least not compared to fine dining in the real world.

Lastly, everyone knows that beer is a superior product in every respect to wine. Except French beer. Those are mostly horrible.

Actually.... just look at the old Cooking with Mickey cookbooks from the 90s. The recipies from the Theme Parks they had in there were amazing yet simple.

jakeman

Actually.... just look at the old Cooking with Mickey cookbooks from the 90s. The recipies from the Theme Parks they had in there were amazing yet simple.
Dining in the late 90s (96-01 in my opinion) was the pinnacle to me. They really swung in the creative direction even with the QSR. Then in the early to mid-00s it swung drastically in the other directions. We are slowly creeping back to the mid-90s levels ever so slowly (if DDP would just die, that'd be great).

Uh oh, I'm being negative. That's really going to throw folks off. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom