A Spirited Perfect Ten

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Truthfully, I enjoyed my 3 days at Uni in 2011 far more than WDW if you wash away the nostalgia aspects of WDW for me.

Kiddo? Well, she just likes having fun. I'll know how she feels in a few months, but I really don't set her up to "compare" them...just enjoy them.
We didn't actually visit WDW on that trip, because right after Uni we took a 7-day cruise. But all of us came away impressed with their parks, although somewhat less so by Royal Pacific Resort....

englanddg

One Little Spark...
We didn't actually visit WDW on that trip, because right after Uni we took a 7-day cruise. But all of us came away impressed with their parks, although somewhat less so by Royal Pacific Resort....
RPR is between a moderate and a deluxe at Disney, imho.

I didn't like the resort very much. Some love it. Kiddo loved the pools. I...thought it all felt very commercial, and the theme was tacked on at the last minute. I did enjoy the proximity to the park.

Now that I've stayed at the Disneyland Hotel at DLR, well...I feel even more so.

The only reason why I booked Portofino was for the Express Passes (and to try a different resort at Uni), even though RPR was cheaper by about 50 bucks.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

I didn't like the resort very much. Some love it. Kiddo loved the pools. I...thought it all felt very commercial, and the theme was tacked on at the last minute. I did enjoy the proximity to the park.

Now that I've stayed at the Disneyland Hotel at DLR, well...I feel even more so.

The only reason why I booked Portofino was for the Express Passes (and to try a different resort at Uni), even though RPR was cheaper by about 50 bucks.
Yeah, it was our first visit, and my wife always loved the Poly, so I thought we'd give it a shot. They had decent restaurants, but you were spot on about the rooms. Next time I'll try either Portofino or Cabana Bay....

Iwerks64

Yeah, it was our first visit, and my wife always loved the Poly, so I thought we'd give it a shot. They had decent restaurants, but you were spot on about the rooms. Next time I'll try either Portofino or Cabana Bay....

Just spent 4 days at Portofino Bay with my family last month for Easter break. I'd been to both parks in the past, but this was the first time for my kids. 13 yo boy and 16 yo girl. They both loved it. Never once mentioned that they'd rather be at Disney (despite all the WDW trips in the past). A lot of the IP they weren't familiar with, but that didn't stop them from enjoying quality entertaining attractions. Portofino is beautiful, our room was fantastic and more than large enough for a family of four. We definitely had a most relaxing trip. More laid back and flexible/spontaneous than our last WDW trip.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The only reason why I wouldn't do Cabana Bay...the value of that Express Pass.

You pay a bit more for the room rate, but you can easily cut a day or two off the trip (which means other savings)...

GLaDOS

It won't drive traffic the way Potter and Simpsons do for the simple fact that Nintendo games have stories that are too one note to emotionally connect to.

I agree Nintendo won't drive attendance like Potter, but I'm not sure I can agree that Simpsons is a bigger draw. I think Pokémon alone would wipe the floor with Simpsons' guest spending numbers. Though we'll see in a few years whether I'm right or not.

Cesar R M

The problem is.. when you go from 'everyone has one' to 'only the most avid people have one'... your market is just a fraction of what it used to be.

Sure every kid used to have a gameboy/DS/etc... but now kids are getting tablets... they play on their parent's devices.. kids get their own phones younger and younger every year. All of those things errode at what used to be a competition free market for the DS.

You need a big market base.. not be just a specialty product space.
Hu, I still think the handheld gaming devices are superior in games..
in control, game quality and graphical stability.
unless of course, you dish tons of money for these top of the line tablets.

burgess

A post from HateToFly on Orlando United forums-

"Characters and properties to keep an eye on IMO...

Mario and Luigi
Princess Toadstool
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Metroid
Link and Princess Zelda
Pokemon"

Not to say there's no inside info here, but this is basically just a list of Nintendo's most popular characters and titles (and Metroid). It's like saying keep an eye on Bart and Homer for the Simpsons land.

I'd imagine Mario, Pokémon, Zelda, and Donkey Kong are the only ones with any chance of getting a ride, but I also never would have guessed that the Marvel land line-up would be based on Hulk, Storm, Dr. Doom, and Spider-Man. So, who knows? One thing to keep in mind is that Pokémon has more corporate overseers than the rest of those properties, so it may not end up being a focus, despite being quite popular.

Really wouldn't be too shocked if this basically ended up as a Mario land with a few nods to other games tossed in.

Cesar R M

So happy to hear Metroid is rumored to be part of the plans. I still remember the first time I played Metroid Prime. Bought it for $2 from a friend not knowing at all what I was in for. It quickly became my favorite game of all time.
Super Metroid for me....
one of the best games I've ever played (along with Chrono Trigger)

Disneyhead'71

I believe that you will enjoy Portofino. It is my favorite theme park resort in Orlando. It's quite nice.

RPR is their "convention" hotel. Comparable to Coronado Springs. In that comparison I think RPR wins.

SJN1279

I believe that you will enjoy Portofino. It is my favorite theme park resort in Orlando. It's quite nice.

RPR is their "convention" hotel. Comparable to Coronado Springs. In that comparison I think RPR wins.

I agree that Portofino is the best hotel in Orlando, even though I can no longer afford to stay there.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Truthfully, I enjoyed my 3 days at Uni in 2012 far more than WDW if you wash away the nostalgia aspects of WDW for me.

Kiddo? Well, she just likes having fun. I'll know how she feels in a few months, but I really don't set her up to "compare" them...just enjoy them.

The way it SHOULD be it's about having FUN not which park is BETTER.

Magenta Panther

In summary: Nintendo is a giant. It doesn't have the devoted following that Harry Potter does, in that people will travel countries to visit, but Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros., Mario Kart, Metroid, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Star Fox, Wario, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, and Kirby (in no particular order) are legends in this industry. People from 7 to 50 will easily identify with one or many of these characters. This is the easiest licensing deal Universal has had in years.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Univeral does with the Nintendo characters - especially the Zelda series. My fave!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom