A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDW1974

Original Poster
I don't have an issue with "fanboi." I have any issue with "underwear-wearing fanboi." (Which... good, I'm glad they're wearing underwear?)

I do agree. The vast majority of fanbois look better with underwear than without. Some even look better wearing jorts or those Costco combo cargo pants/shorts that @Lee is fond of. I wonder if the man has ever put a tux on in his life. I think we'd have to send @TP2000 to the hills to dress him for an upscale (no, wrastling don't count none) event!

WDW1974

Original Poster
That is a weird one. I'd point to Seussland's problem of a lack of family rides. Cat spins too much. (and has a height requirement?) The trolley/train loads too slow and is a downer/annoying. Fish you get wet and the carousel is well a carousel. Some things could be changed for the better but for now that is what is there. The execution of the Seussland has no impact on the final iteration of Nintendo world. That was a completely different company than the Universal today.

Nah. I think UNI's lawyers took all the spin out of Cat a long time ago. I loved that ride when it opened, but it is so different now.

WDW1974

Original Poster
My 11 yo boy is ****ed we are "wasting" two days at Uni. Although my 16 yo girl is excited we are going to Uni, it's only for the potter stuff. If given the choice, one over the other, Disney would win hands down.

Parents have a way of passing their favorites onto their kids ... much like their prejudices and all that bad stuff.
If the parents don't really like UNI and view it as second rate to Disney (laughable, but we're on a Disney-centric forum) most times the kids will fall right in line with that thinking.

StageFrenzy

Nah. I think UNI's lawyers took all the spin out of Cat a long time ago. I loved that ride when it opened, but it is so different now.
1. They need to add some more scenery to compensate.
2. Someone needs to put a leash on their lawyers, because the decisions that get passed on to ops are idiotic most of the time.

Frankie The Beer

Trying to catch up with all the news this thread always offers can be a little daunting if you miss a couple days.

But this Nintendo stuff is interesting. Personally I think its a better match for the Japanese market than America since its more ingrained in their culture, but anything for kids at Universal would be welcome. Judging from several video game forums, this really isn't as big of news there as it is here though, so if its supposed to be for that demographic that could be a little concerning. But then again those forums where the topic is present are saying Nintendo will be replacing Marvel.

But from a business standpoint, this has to be embarrassing for Nintendo. No matter what they do lately, they seem to be two steps behind. Hopefully they are getting a good deal.

MerlinTheGoat

A post from HateToFly on Orlando United forums-

"Characters and properties to keep an eye on IMO...

Mario and Luigi
Princess Toadstool
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Metroid
Link and Princess Zelda
Pokemon"

http://www.orlandounited.com/forums...iversal-Parks-amp-Resorts?p=404414#post404414

So if true, that means that we could get presence from the Mario, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Zelda and Pokemon series'. Though which IP's get major rides and attractions, and which ones get less substantial presence (like merchandise and character greets) is another question. Still cool info though.

Tony Perkis

Trying to catch up with all the news this thread always offers can be a little daunting if you miss a couple days.

But this Nintendo stuff is interesting. Personally I think its a better match for the Japanese market than America since its more ingrained in their culture, but anything for kids at Universal would be welcome. Judging from several video game forums, this really isn't as big of news there as it is here though, so if its supposed to be for that demographic that could be a little concerning. But then again those forums where the topic is present are saying Nintendo will be replacing Marvel.

But from a business standpoint, this has to be embarrassing for Nintendo. No matter what they do lately, they seem to be two steps behind. Hopefully they are getting a good deal.
Most people who frequent video game forums are usually PC gamers, and there is not a more pretentious group of people in that realm.

Nintendo, purely from a thematically standpoint, is a big deal. It won't drive traffic the way Potter and Simpsons do for the simple fact that Nintendo games have stories that are too one note to emotionally connect to.

Except Pokemon.

That said, the controls and gameplay are second to none.

As for whether Nintendo should be embarrassed, that's laughable. Everyone recognizes them as pioneers in the industry, and Universal Creative is too good at what they do to not create, at the least, entertaining Kidzone attractions

Cesar R M

Spirited Request:

Can we move all the gaming talk to the gaming forum? (just assuming we have one)

Talk all you want about Nintendo replacing KidZone, but MANY of us aren't all that interested in gaming and it really can be held elsewhere.

Thanks.
meaning people above the 60's year line? ;)

flynnibus

Premium Member
(And for the record - even the most avid mobile gamer will tell you that gaming on the phone isn't as fun or intuitive as gaming on a dedicated device.)

The problem is.. when you go from 'everyone has one' to 'only the most avid people have one'... your market is just a fraction of what it used to be.

Sure every kid used to have a gameboy/DS/etc... but now kids are getting tablets... they play on their parent's devices.. kids get their own phones younger and younger every year. All of those things errode at what used to be a competition free market for the DS.

You need a big market base.. not be just a specialty product space.

Mike S

A post from HateToFly on Orlando United forums-

"Characters and properties to keep an eye on IMO...

Mario and Luigi
Princess Toadstool
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Metroid
Link and Princess Zelda
Pokemon"

http://www.orlandounited.com/forums...iversal-Parks-amp-Resorts?p=404414#post404414

So if true, that means that we could get presence from the Mario, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Zelda and Pokemon series'. Though which IP's get major rides and attractions, and which ones get less substantial presence (like merchandise and character greets) is another question. Still cool info though.
So happy to hear Metroid is rumored to be part of the plans. I still remember the first time I played Metroid Prime. Bought it for $2 from a friend not knowing at all what I was in for. It quickly became my favorite game of all time.

Nubs70

My 11 yo boy is ****ed we are "wasting" two days at Uni. Although my 16 yo girl is excited we are going to Uni, it's only for the potter stuff. If given the choice, one over the other, Disney would win hands down.
Take him to Ollivander's wand shop for the wand show. Make sure he is right up front. He may get selected to participate in the show. If selected, he will love it and you'll be out $50 for a wand. If you do not buy the wand, you will be forced to wear the "cone of shame" for 6 months

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
My 11 year-old loved DA and all it had to offer. Truthfully, he loved all of Universal by the time all was said and done. And each of the kids with us loved Margaritaville....

englanddg

One Little Spark...
My 11 year-old loved DA and all it had to offer. Truthfully, he loved all of Universal by the time all was said and done. And each of the kids with us loved Margaritaville....
Truthfully, I enjoyed my 3 days at Uni in 2012 far more than WDW if you wash away the nostalgia aspects of WDW for me.

Kiddo? Well, she just likes having fun. I'll know how she feels in a few months, but I really don't set her up to "compare" them...just enjoy them.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom