A Spirited Perfect Ten

Skip

For the Frozenstrom attraction, there is one major constraint design wise: the two turntables where boats are slid and oriented toward the drops. Unless they move to boats that are twice the size, it still take a finite amount of time to get a boat in a turntable, slid the boat, push it out and then reset it for the next one. You could add boats, shorten the time in each scene by accelerating the flow... but all that would do is have boats waiting at each turntables.

1800 pph is projected? Very funny when you realize nearly every WDW attraction had to have their capacity figures lowered. Slower guests, disabled guests and cast members that are just not as efficient are some of the reasons. The lone exception is Everest that had its theorical capacity raised thanks to a design change and the most efficient cast members on property.

This, this, this, this, this. If there was a chance for 10x the efficiency with Maelstrom, why wasn't it already being done? We already speed through the scenes.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
ArE you kidding me? Just think about super Mario 3d and how a play land can incorporate elements people are used to the game. Hitting blocks, turtles, etc

Mariokart battle mode or Grand Prix? Simple..

A dark rise through any number of the universes? Piece of cake

Laser tag as samus?

Let the list keep going on and on. If you can't think of anything is just minutes knowing the subject matter ... Go home

I wasn't asking because I couldn't think of anything...I was asking because I wanted people's opinions on whether every part has to be interactive or not...to paraphrase.

Skip

Video games are a niche market, it's as simple as that. The demographics here skew within that niche so I don't think that the comments we're seeing are a representative sample.

It's one of the top trends on Facebook and was the top global trend on Twitter earlier. It's made the news in every major publication.

It really isn't a niche. It's like this is the new form of "Potter is just a fad..." Sour grapes indeed.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
It's one of the top trends on Facebook and was the top global trend on Twitter earlier. It's made the news in every major publication.

It really isn't a niche. It's like this is the new form of "Potter is just a fad..." Sour grapes indeed.
Who said Potter was a fad?

Obviously it's going to trend on social media. The social media demographic is the same people that are skewing the opinion here. The core audience of WDW/Universal wasn't tweeting about Nintendo today, they were at their jobs earning a paycheck. The people tweeting about it were fanboiis in their underpants playing Black Ops.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I posted this on another forum, but wanted to ask here as well.

Regarding Nintendo...

We're kinda moving into uncharted territory.

The only major video game IP that I recall being in a theme park was after it was also a movie...Tomb Raider.

The big question is, how interactive do you make a land based on a video game franchise?

I think it would be foolish to to create attractions based on a videogame without some kind of game element.

Skip

Obviously it's going to trend on social media. The social media demographic is the same people that are skewing the opinion here. The core audience of WDW/Universal wasn't tweeting about Nintendo today, they were at their jobs earning a paycheck. The people tweeting about it were fanboiis in their underpants playing Black Ops.

You don't understand demographics of video games, then. You think the fanbois (nice derogatory description there by the way) are the people making up the 10 million sales of Black Ops # whatever?

Families love to game. You'd be shocked how many 13 year olds play Call of Duty or Super Smash Bros. Mario Kart is nuts. It's huge, and if you're really going to pretend it's some weird little niche, you need a reality check.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
A "niche market" that makes billions of dollars a year.
Understood. But they make their money from a different crowd than the folks who do family vacations to Orlando.

LOTS and LOTS of people when it was announced....many pixie dusters
I think Universal made a mistake going with the "live action" version of Potter, as I believe the novels will prove to have more longevity than the films. But I feel the same way about Pirates. I think that's fair and consistent. A criticism of Universal that isn't based on pixie dusting.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

To say Disney could not have done justice to Potter is absurd, just more nit picking with nothing to validate such a statement.

Disney has more money and would have knocked it out of the park if they decided to do Potter, but decided it was not worth it and let it walk to Universal where its doing ok, but nothing like it was when it first opened.

Potter is a fad with no legs, unless Universal delivers at least one original attraction every year they have Potter, it will be a ghost town soon enough.

You can't say that about Disney in any of their parks.

Jimmy Thick-Potter=fail!!!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Understood. But they make their money from a different crowd than the folks who do family vacations to Orlando.

I think Universal made a mistake going with the "live action" version of Potter, as I believe the novels will prove to have more longevity than the films. But I feel the same way about Pirates. I think that's fair and consistent. A criticism of Universal that isn't based on pixie dusting.

It's quite clear that is was not a mistake. The Harry Potter lands have been a huge success already so even if people were to loose interest in a couple years, which I doubt they will, Uni will have gotten more then their money's worth out of them.

Skip

This is a terrible argument, because either:

A) What you're saying is crap, and therefore families who vacation may decide to go to Universal rather than elsewhere, or,

B) What you're saying is true, and therefore Universal might attract a demographic who wouldn't otherwise vacation there.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Laugher of the Day:

OK, y'all (or likely a few of you) may have a recollection of Lee MacDonald. He was the publisher/owner of the truly quality publication Tales From the Laughing Place years ago. A fanzine that sorta died soon after D23 began publishing a much lower quality BRAND advocating product.

Leemac and I used to butt heads frequently on anotherdisneyplace.com's discussion boards because his views were so politicized and he always was on the side of anyone who had power at the moment. He also had strong dislike of top popular creatives such as John Lasseter and Tony Baxter. He worked as a contractor for Disney in a limited number-crunching role that he turned into a huge gadfly opportunity. In other words, he was great at sounding like he knew what he was talking on any Disney topic about because he'd take some gossip, mix in a healthy dose of industry jargon and top off with the agenda of the people he was most closely working for/with.

I only bring him up because he's been doing quite a bit of yacking (as my Spirited grandfather was fond of saying) about yours truly and the news I have broken and/or spread here on MAGIC regarding Disney's developments overseas. In other words, he -- like so many out there in the fan community and with Disney and UNI -- just can't quit me. I suppose I should be flattered.

What I find astounding is that Lee has apparently -- while putting down former Shanghai Disney GM and President of the Walt Disney Holding Company of Shanghai Mike Crawford in his typical uppity UK way -- said that not only was the Four Seasons position not created expressly for Crawford (it was) but that he himself was asked to interview for the job and declined because he lacked the requisite 'skill set.'

Yes, it's preposterous.

I'm often accused of having a large ego (amongst other large things) and being a narcissist, but I almost couldn't stop laughing when I heard of something so utterly over the top. Perhaps, he's looking for me to head back to LP.com and add some traffic and excitement to a dead site (or that could be my ego talking). But, really, making crap like that up just shows how some of the former 'mighty' voices of the Early Disney Internet Fan Community have struggled to find relevance in this decade. FWIW, my old pal Georgie K did try and get me to come and work at Disney multiple times. But he never offered me his old position as EPCOT VP, nor did I refuse said imaginary offer because my skill set wasn't a good fit. And Michael Eisner never offered me a position with Disney at all, but he did offer me some amazing Chinese food from a place in Westwood once.

The job offer Leemac is crowing about is about as real as his office at Disney's Asia Pacific HQ in Hong Kong. Yeah, it doesn't exist either.

As we have a troll in our midst yet again, I thought it was fitting to talk a bit about people who truly know what they are talking about ... and those who simply sound like authorities (for slow people that might be someone like a Jim Hill). You take a take a grain of truth amidst a desert of sand and concoct a rational sounding narrative around it.

That's not me. That's not folks here like @Lee and @whylightbulb and @articos and @marni1971 and @ParentsOf4 and multiple others I am failing to list.

Now, I need to return a phone call from Bill Davis. Maybe he'll make me head of UNI's new water park so I can take over the entire resort in 2020.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yes.
I have heard nothing that would indicate Nintendo being anything other than a replacement for the existing Kidzone.

This is not a Potter-level acquisition, and is certainly not viewed as such by Universal.

Not at all. But instead of making simply kiddie attractions, if you can call the Casey Jr Play While You Pee Fountain an attraction (and it must be because my outlet store is liquidating pins from it for $1.99), like Disney, UNI is making a family area with multiple attractions that all ages should be able to enjoy.

UNI is finally waking up that it needs family attractions. Disney used to be king of family attractions. Now, they like to segregate age groups. Unless, Jake and the Neverland Pirates Dance Party is aimed at my demo and I'm missing something big.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom