A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDW1974

Original Poster
I only wish we could keep the site to RealUsers and not people who can't stick to an identity

How about if I changed my online persona to be a Disney BRAND advocate in the hopes of getting an interview with my friend Rachel's mother in law (possibly step mom in law as I am not sure what she should be called) Diane Sawyer like Bruce Jenner did?

Nemo14

Now, THAT is saying something!
yelrotflmao.gif

WDW1974

Original Poster
Exactly, and that's what's important here. It may not be everyone's favourite by any means, but IP that generally is well loved by tweens/adults that can be used for children is far and few between. Kidzone in its current state is designed for children and arguable only for children...

Now the problem with Beijing... Nintendo is not, nor has been in the Chinese market. I'm concerned that a major reliance on that IP as a launching ground for their park is a little misguided.

To be fair, the Beijing plans literally change weekly, sometimes daily. But the plan now is for a presence. I don't think there will be a definitive planning menu done before sometime next year, although pitch sessions are happening regularly. I just hope some of the Chinese partners 'request' UNI put the local and unique attractions that have been cut, back in.

wdwfan4ver

This is true, but I think there is a market change happening to a point although I don't consider video games as niche.

I am saying that because there has been problems with Capcom, Konami and Sega. Those 3 are long time well known Japanese video game companies. If the problems with Komani aren't legit, why would they delist themselves from the New York Stock exchange?

Proof about Konami: http://www.polygon.com/2015/4/27/8503893/konami-delists-itself-from-new-york-stock-exchange

There is problems with Sega due to the fact they cut jobs earlier this year and now they are not showing up at E3 along with the fact they are focusing more on mobile and pc games now.

Capcom's revenue went down by 37 percent for the whole year. Proof: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-05-07-capcoms-full-year-revenue-drops-37-per-cent

GLaDOS

This is true, but I think there is a market change happening to a point although I don't consider video games as niche.

I am saying that because there has been problems with Capcom, Konami and Sega. Those 3 are long time well known Japanese video game companies. If the problems with Komani aren't legit, why would they delist themselves from the New York Stock exchange?

Proof about Konami: http://www.polygon.com/2015/4/27/8503893/konami-delists-itself-from-new-york-stock-exchange

There is problems with Sega due to the fact they cut jobs earlier this year and now they are not showing up at E3 along with the fact they are focusing more on mobile and pc games now.

Capcom's revenue went down by 37 percent for the whole year. Proof: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-05-07-capcoms-full-year-revenue-drops-37-per-cent

Those three are in trouble because they haven't put out a good game in....forever?

wdwfan4ver

Those three are in trouble because they haven't put out a good game in....forever?
I'll grant you that Sega lost it a while long time ago, but they also did acquire Atlus last year. Atlus is well know for the RPGS. I am sure the people that I know from another site is capable of using Sega's ip's better than Sega can.

What to those 3 is a bigger problem from a Japanese video company standpoint. I am bringing this up because while Square Enix isn't losing money, they actually are not the same company as they once where. They depend too much on Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and brave default.

DDLand

You're assuming that everyone who buys a smart phone is going to use it as a game device - and not just, you know, a phone with a Candy Crush style game or two.

If someone's buying a Nintendo handheld, they're buying it exclusively for games, and most likely Nintendo first party games. That's an ecosystem they have all to themselves.

Nintendo's brands are iconic. The Wii U was hilariously mishandled, but it won't kill the quality of their software or their characters. The death of consoles to mobile games is greatly exaggerated. And this is coming from someone who doesn't even invest in Nintendo hardware anymore.
I'm aware of that, and at the same time it's not an extremely pertinent problem with the argument. He talked about how over the last decade there've been 200 million Nintendo Handheld devices shipped. Let's think about just 2013 and 2014, analysts estimate 1,000,000,000 and 1,300,000,000 mobile devices shipped respectively during those two years. Let's lowball and say 10% of the 2.3 Billion use those mobile devices for extensive gaming. 230 million sold in just the last two years. The numbers we're talking about are unbelievable.

Those devices are shaping the way kids think about gaming. Nintendo has to reconnect on mobile or they're missing out on millions of consumers.

BrianLo

For those complaining about the Nintendo deal, I'm curious to know your thoughts...

What is a franchise that:

1) Could be built for and aimed at kids
2) Would still be found enjoyable by teens and adults
3) Whom the average 5 year old and 50 year old could at least identify
4) Has been around for more than the past 5 years
5) Could support a full land with multiple attractions
6) Could sell t-shirts, plush, and general crap
7) Not already owned by Disney

Bonus... could have multiple foam head meet and greets for the toddler crowd.

That's why the Nintendo deal is a good thing. For Universal. It's not the absolute best, but the problem is Disney already has rights to the other 90%.

But, maybe I just really don't care that much for Spongebob..........

Skip

I'm aware of that, and at the same time it's not an extremely pertinent problem with the argument. He talked about how over the last decade there've been 200 million Nintendo Handheld devices shipped. Let's think about just 2013 and 2014, analysts estimate 1,000,000,000 and 1,300,000,000 mobile devices shipped respectively during those two years. Let's lowball and say 10% of the 2.3 Billion use those mobile devices for extensive gaming. 230 million sold in just the last two years. The numbers we're talking about are unbelievable.

Those devices are shaping the way kids think about gaming. Nintendo has to reconnect on mobile or they're missing out on millions of consumers.

Not saying Nintendo isn't missing out on significant $$ by ignoring mobile - they are, and they're taking steps to (hopefully) rectify it. But it's ludicrous to suggest that core console/first party handheld gaming is dying out any time soon. It's just not.

(And for the record - even the most avid mobile gamer will tell you that gaming on the phone isn't as fun or intuitive as gaming on a dedicated device.)

FigmentJedi

Not saying Nintendo isn't missing out on significant $$ by ignoring mobile - they are, and they're taking steps to (hopefully) rectify it. But it's ludicrous to suggest that core console/first party handheld gaming is dying out any time soon. It's just not.

(And for the record - even the most avid mobile gamer will tell you that gaming on the phone isn't as fun or intuitive as gaming on a dedicated device.)
Yeah, you don't get in-depth gaming experiences on smartphones. Mobile gaming is the home of Angry Birds and associated knockoffs, puzzle games, horrid bootleg games of popular properties, and various "Let's trick children into spending thousands of dollars of their parents money on building a virtual town" freemium titles.

Skip

Yeah, you don't get in-depth gaming experiences on smartphones. Mobile gaming is the home of Angry Birds and associated knockoffs, puzzle games, horrid bootleg games of popular properties, and various "Let's trick children into spending thousands of dollars of their parents money on building a virtual town" freemium titles.

There's a reason that all the business "titans" of mobile gaming either had disastrous IPOs or have run into serious financial issues. We don't talk about that, apparently. The whole freemium model isn't sustainable in the slightest.

DDLand

Yes, but does Nintendo want to be nothing more then a niche player for their most loyal fans? Nope. They've been mainstream and have profited incredibly from it. It's critical they remain such. With 8.8 million unit sales that's not mainstream enough.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom