A Spirited Perfect Ten

AEfx

We don't have to 'wait and see', the theme park industry wasn't created yesterday.

Reading this...exchange...I have that feeling I get when you see an ad, like those new car commercials with Matthew McConaughey, or a news report, and you aren't sure if it's actually real or an SNL sketch.

bhg469

I know it won't happen, but I would love to see these little guys.
pikminology.jpg
Who says? It's a very popular ip. Would even lend itself to a very cool play area at the very least.

PhotoDave219

No... Trolls implant a controversial topic and then leave. They make no attempt to explain things, just say it and let the rest of you "clever folk" fight over the carcass. Ignore Systems are the classic escape route for those that don't want to be questioned and just want to see what agrees with their own opinions.

Not quite. There's respectful debate and then there's JT.

We've had respectful debates and conversations. JT is just a tool.

71jason

Granted they're going to the the College Program kids and the adults who go to Player One and Captain Nintendo cosplayers, but I don't see this as a property taht could drive their core business the way Potter did. I don't see how its close.

"Hey 10 - 18 year-old son, do you want to go to the park with Transformers, Fast & Furious and Nintendo rides, or the park with a Little Mermaid show, Toy Story and Aerosmith? (Yeah, you know them, grandma's favorite band.) Oh and that Star Wars ride you rode when you were 6 and a meet-&-greet with Goofy dressed up as Darth Vader."

Little sisters get to see Elsa; this helps make US the big brother park.

Also, have you seen the crowds in Player 1 on a Friday night? (Rhetorical question, I know you haven't for a couple reasons, but yeah, it's packed.)

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I too disagree with this, and I'm a bigger fan of Playstation and Xbox than Nintendo. Nintendo operates in its own realm, focusing on a family-based demographic. Even the Wii, which was enormously popular, didn't exactly occupy the same space as the other two, with their focus on more mature series like Grand Theft Auto. Nintendo's characters are still incredibly popular - enough so that they can sell systems, despite the fact that the Wii/Wii-U have few of the other big blockbuster game series appearing on them. If Mario and Zelda went multiplatform, the sales would be enormous.

I agree that Disney probably doesn't see them as a threat, but I could see this as a surprise hit. They have a great deal of name recognition, a dedicated fanbase and a lot of whimsical IPs that could make for interesting attractions.
Sorry, but no. Mario and Zelda are console sellers on their own. Wii U sales dramatically increased with the releases of Mario Kart and Smash Bros.

GTAV is a bigger deal, but Mario is a bigger character than Trevor Phillips.
Please dont get me wrong. I never meant to undermine Nintendos power. I grew up with it. Some of my favorite memories from childhood are playing Zelda with my Dad. I had every game from Contra to Rygar. I even had ROB the robot. I still play video games (mostly Call of Duty). I only referred to them as "Oswald" in the sense that in the present time, Nintendo is nowhere near as popular or profitable as Xbox or PS. But Nintendo is still loved by many (including myself). I still fire up my old M.A.M.E programs and play Street Fighter or Castlevania.

I think it was a GREAT move for Uni and will fit in very nicely in the parks. I think the possibilities are plentiful. It will definitely make me wanna carve out a day to visit. So please dont mistake my post as anything other than Nintendo is a wonderful, classic system, but I believe Disney wont be bothered by "loosing out" on Nintendo IP's and while it will be great for Uni, I dont think its gonna bring in Potter level crowds/dollars. But it will bring in a good chunk of change.

IAmFloridaBorn

Last I heard...no.
UGH. I need ET gone . I love it but if they are not going to refurbish the ride then get rid of it. Love UNI but that es me off about them with the not so popular rides. They need a bit of love too. They so called fixed the name thing and it still fails. ET is a joke although I love ET. I rather not have it embarrass Universal.

Tony Perkis

UGH. I need ET gone . I love it but if they are going to refurbish the ride then get rid of it. Love UNI but that ****es me off about them with the not so popular rides. They need a bit of love too. They so called fixed the name thing and it still fails. ET is a joke although I love ET. I rather not have it embarrass Universal.
The hell?

ABQ

YES!

You yourself just claimed the very same thing by pointing out Mermaid has low wait times due to massive capacity. I'm not here to argue the metric of what percentage of the capacity correlates to the percentage of wait time reduction, but to claim it is 0% isn't an 'opinion': it's absurd.

If anyone wants solid examples I point you toward:

1) Maters Junkyard Jamboree. A near doubling of wait times occur when one of the platforms (half the capacity) is taken off-line for refurbs.

2) Gringotts. As soon as extra vehicles were added to the cycle and therefore capacity increased, magically the wait times decreased. Who'd have thunk!

We don't have to 'wait and see', the theme park industry wasn't created yesterday.
When capacity is measured, and by no means am I debating your stats above, just quoting you as a way to jump into this conversation, do they include exiting the ride?
Rides like Small World and Pirates appear to have a decent capacity, but the unload sure as heck stinks on both of them. I keep reading in the past few pages here how the load/unload will be combined on the new Frozen attraction and how that will magically increase throughput. But I'm sure on paper, no one assumed we'd be stuck reading Good Bye in 10+ languages for 10 minutes or watch Cap't jack sitting on his throne for 12 minutes. They can plan to pack boat upon boat into the flume to increase capacity, but if you can't get out of the boat timely, the best laid plans will not come to pass.

PhotoDave219

"Hey 10 - 18 year-old son, do you want to go to the park with Transformers, Fast & Furious and Nintendo rides, or the park with a Little Mermaid show, Toy Story and Aerosmith? (Yeah, you know them, grandma's favorite band.) Oh and that Star Wars ride you rode when you were 6 and a meet-&-greet with Goofy dressed up as Darth Vader."

Little sisters get to see Elsa; this helps make US the big brother park.

Also, have you seen the crowds in Player 1 on a Friday night? (Rhetorical question, I know you haven't for a couple reasons, but yeah, it's packed.)

Okay you've got a good point there…

It's a win-win for everyone involved.

bhg469

To tell you the truth I haven't played it myself, yet. I do want to though.
I cant compare it to anything other than resident evil meets..... the coolest rpg ever? I can't describe it but it plays like the episodic games that telltale is putting Out only it's a solitary game. You play from several characters and different time periods and even through some historical events and figures.

One of the coolest features of the game is the sanity meter. when it drains the game actually messes with you in ways you'd never expect. One example is that the game locks up and suddenly it jumps to the save game menu and deletes your save While you fumble with the controller to stop it. There are other examples that are pretty brilliant but I won't ruin them if you really play it.

bhg469

UGH. I need ET gone . I love it but if they are not going to refurbish the ride then get rid of it. Love UNI but that ****es me off about them with the not so popular rides. They need a bit of love too. They so called fixed the name thing and it still fails. ET is a joke although I love ET. I rather not have it embarrass Universal.
If Peter pan is still a thing then ET should be as well. It still holds up IMO.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
What about handhelds? I know Nintendo is, despite the late entry, entering the smart phone app market. So even though kids go home and load up a game on one another system or the computer, if Nintendo can get momentum in the games you play while sitting in the backseat of the car, waiting in a checkout line, or waiting for your sibling's activity to end, can't they still remain a major player?
I think as long as Nintendo is around they will be a major player. Handhelds are a big boost for them, but I see more kids turning to tablets or smart phones for their games. If Nintendo can produce a few big hits for phone and tablet systems it could very well be a huge profit.

Microsoft and Sony put much more emphasis into their console systems and IMO, its due to DLC (downloadable content). It has emerged as major profit boost for almost every game. The latest Call of Duty retailed for $70 and they release around 4 DLC packs throughout the year that are appx $15-20 each or you can buy them all for $50. That practically doubles profits for the game and there is also one time purchases as well that avg a few bucks each. You can easily spend over $100 per game nowadays.

Mike S

I cant compare it to anything other than resident evil meets..... the coolest rpg ever? I can't describe it but it plays like the episodic games that telltale is putting Out only it's a solitary game. You play from several characters and different time periods and even through some historical events and figures.

One of the coolest features of the game is the sanity meter. when it drains the game actually messes with you in ways you'd never expect. One example is that the game locks up and suddenly it jumps to the save game menu and deletes your save While you fumble with the controller to stop it. There are other examples that are pretty brilliant but I won't ruin them if you really play it.
I may not have played it but I have watched plenty of videos which is why I suggested it for HHN. They could think of some pretty cool practical sanity effects.

AEfx

What about handhelds? I know Nintendo is, despite the late entry, entering the smart phone app market. So even though kids go home and load up a game on one another system or the computer, if Nintendo can get momentum in the games you play while sitting in the backseat of the car, waiting in a checkout line, or waiting for your sibling's activity to end, can't they still remain a major player?

You guys don't know what you are talking about, LOL.

Nintendo has sold 200 million dedicated handheld consoles since they introduced the DS-family of systems. They ARE the handheld market.

They are firmly relevant, people acting like they are some relic from 1985 are laughably uninformed.

Katie G

Bringing a bit of Disney back into this board...

From the Orlando Sentinel:
Other tidbits offered up this year have been a taste of the Harambe Market coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom, which will provide a variety of dining options beginning in late May. The market will add 220 seats in a new space that expands the Harambe area of Animal Kingdom, butting up to the train tracks of Conservation Station. Expect American-style offerings like corn dogs and ribs, but with an African twist. Beverages will include South African wines, exotic sodas and tangerine lemonade. Zuri's Sweet Shop will offer baked goods, granola and sweets near the existing Mom-basa Marketplace. A platform adjacent the train tracks will be used for entertainment.

Seating! New food options! amazing theming!

I know its not an attraction, but it sounds like a great addition to AK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom