A Spirited Perfect Ten

BrianLo

When capacity is measured, and by no means am I debating your stats above, just quoting you as a way to jump into this conversation, do they include exiting the ride?
Rides like Small World and Pirates appear to have a decent capacity, but the unload sure as heck stinks on both of them. I keep reading in the past few pages here how the load/unload will be combined on the new Frozen attraction and how that will magically increase throughput. But I'm sure on paper, no one assumed we'd be stuck reading Good Bye in 10+ languages for 10 minutes or watch Cap't jack sitting on his throne for 12 minutes. They can plan to pack boat upon boat into the flume to increase capacity, but if you can't get out of the boat timely, the best laid plans will not come to pass.

Yes, capacity is based on the total throughput of the ride in a given hour. If the limiting factor is actually unload, all that does is artificially shift a small amount of pre-wait time into a post-wait time. Adding more boats won't increase the overall capacity if they are all stuck sitting at the end, it increases the capacity for the first cycle of the day perhaps, but eventually it has to back-up. At that point the rate of load = unload.

bhg469

You guys don't know what you are talking about, LOL.

Nintendo has sold 200 million dedicated handheld consoles since they introduced the DS-family of systems. They ARE the handheld market.

They are firmly relevant, people acting like they are some relic from 1985 are laughably uninformed.
Exactly. Nintendo made a killing with the launch if the wii, even without many good games. The handheld market shouldn't even try to compete because there is the gameboy, then there are gimmicks.

Their IPs are definitely worth more than anything they put out hardware wise though. Mario, Zelda and Pokémon are all iconic and are a huge money maker.

mightynine

Nintendo has sold 200 million dedicated handheld consoles since they introduced the DS-family of systems. They ARE the handheld market.

They are firmly relevant, people acting like they are some relic from 1985 are laughably uninformed.

Sure, the Nintendo DS printed money. The 3Ds lags far behind it in terms on units sold - because that market was disrupted by iOS and Android. So let's not act like Nintendo has that market all to themselves - the fact that they are planning games for those devices shows they are not.

Nintendo in terms of hardware might not be the 800-lb. gorilla, but their IP certainly still holds a lot of value (look at the success of Amiibos) and that's what they are cashing in on today.

And I'll be blunt - Potter won't make me make time for Universal in a visit to Orlando, I don't have any real interest in that universe. But a well-done Nintendoland, themed to the level that Potter is, and a dark ride or two in the league of Haunted Mansion? Now I'm interested.

khale1970

Quite a lot of sour grapes have come out on the forums today.

Funny.

I feel no sour grapes and haven't seen that out of more than a couple of the usual suspects, but I am perplexed by the reaction of some to the Nintendo thing. That's probably because I'm not a gamer now and wasn't as a child. After the Atari 2600 feel to the wayside I didn't use another game console until I had children. I've found the conversation fascinating because I had no idea that Nintendo (or any other game system) as a brand had an apparently passionate fan following. After reading it I've kind of decided that what I saw as a nice little get by UNI might be something much bigger. Even amongst all the sniping that goes on here, you can learn something new if you bother to read and not ignore the voices that sometimes grate.

DDLand

You just stepped into murky waters. Since the fiscal year beginning March 2010, Nintendo has sold 77,180,000 handhelds. That sounds impressive until you hear Apple sold nearly 74,000,000 mobile devices just last quarter.

Do you want me to talk about how Apple isn't even the biggest smartphone maker?

Nintendo is miniscule compared to some of the other smartphone players. Tiny. Let's not forget that some analysts are expecting gaming revenue from mobile platforms to surpass consoles by 2018.

The people have spoken. In the same way they said they wanted an MP3 Player that could do more then listen to music, they also said they wanted a gaming device that could do more then game. Nintendo missed it.

Hopefully they're able to reassert themselves moving forward, but they've got a lot to contend with. Especially among kids, where Universal is aiming for too. We'll see.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
You just stepped into murky waters. Since the fiscal year beginning March 2010, Nintendo has sold 77,180,000 handhelds. That sounds impressive until you hear Apple sold nearly 74,000,000 mobile devices just last quarter.

Nintendo is miniscule compared to some of the other smartphone players. Tiny. Let's not forget that some analysts are expecting gaming revenue from mobile platforms to surpass consoles by 2018.

The people have spoken. In the same way they said they wanted an MP3 Player that could do more then listen to music, they also said they wanted a gaming device that could do more then game. Nintendo missed it.

Hopefully they're able to reassert themselves moving forward, but they've got a lot to contend with. Especially among kids, where Universal is aiming for too. We'll see.

But you think when Nintendo starts offering games for smartphone platforms that no one will be interested in downloading them?

PhotoDave219

Quite a lot of sour grapes have come out on the forums today.

Funny.

I think it's good all around. Nintendo would never fit with Disney.

Alas, I don't think that the Nintendo properties will be used white to the extent that some fanboys are dreaming of.

It also points out to glaring hole where Disney isn't actively going after. As Jason pointed out earlier… 10–18-year-old boys. Disney has completely abandoned them in the past 10 years.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It doesn't take 100 seconds to load two 15 passenger boats. If you dispatch them at a normal canal ride interval, Frozen's capacity increases dramatically (which is what's going to happen). Again, Frozen's capacity is dependent on riders x dispatches, and they're aiming to speed up those dispatches by a lot, the ride system is irrevelvant

Dispatch intervals are BOUND by the ride design you tard. They are not arbitrary and why everyone is correcting your rediculous statements about relevancy. Even if they intend to shorten the scenes and stuff more boats in the trough as you suggest to increase capacity... That does not make the rode system irrelevant because their min and max dispatches are dictated by the ride's operating parameters.

We understand that distinction- I'm not sure you do

Absimilliard

For the Frozenstrom attraction, there is one major constraint design wise: the two turntables where boats are slid and oriented toward the drops. Unless they move to boats that are twice the size, it still take a finite amount of time to get a boat in a turntable, slid the boat, push it out and then reset it for the next one. You could add boats, shorten the time in each scene by accelerating the flow... but all that would do is have boats waiting at each turntables.

1800 pph is projected? Very funny when you realize nearly every WDW attraction had to have their capacity figures lowered. Slower guests, disabled guests and cast members that are just not as efficient are some of the reasons. The lone exception is Everest that had its theorical capacity raised thanks to a design change and the most efficient cast members on property.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I posted this on another forum, but wanted to ask here as well.

Regarding Nintendo...

We're kinda moving into uncharted territory.

The only major video game IP that I recall being in a theme park was after it was also a movie...Tomb Raider.

The big question is, how interactive do you make a land based on a video game franchise?

DDLand

But you think when Nintendo starts offering games for smartphone platforms that no one will be interested in downloading them?
Nah, there's substantial demand. That is if they do a great game. If they release a subpar game that does more for promoting consoles then actual gameplay it's anyone's guess. I do think the first app released will be the most successful app in history. Whether it catches on with kids is my question. There are great alternatives.

Bairstow

flynnibus

Premium Member

Regarding Nintendo...

The only major video game IP that I recall being in a theme park was after it was also a movie...Tomb Raider.

The big question is, how interactive do you make a land based on a video game franchise?

ArE you kidding me? Just think about super Mario 3d and how a play land can incorporate elements people are used to the game. Hitting blocks, turtles, etc

Mariokart battle mode or Grand Prix? Simple..

A dark rise through any number of the universes? Piece of cake

Laser tag as samus?

Let the list keep going on and on. If you can't think of anything in just minutes knowing the subject matter ... Go home

flynnibus

Premium Member

Regarding Nintendo...

ArE you kidding me? Just think about super Mario 3d and how a play land can incorporate elements people are used to the game. Hitting blocks, turtles, etc

Mariokart battle mode or Grand Prix? Simple..

A dark rise through any number of the universes? Piece of cake

Laser tag as samus?

Let the list keep going on and on. If you can't think of anything is just minutes knowing the subject matter ... Go home

Skip

You're assuming that everyone who buys a smart phone is going to use it as a game device - and not just, you know, a phone with a Candy Crush style game or two.

If someone's buying a Nintendo handheld, they're buying it exclusively for games, and most likely Nintendo first party games. That's an ecosystem they have all to themselves.

Nintendo's brands are iconic. The Wii U was hilariously mishandled, but it won't kill the quality of their software or their characters. The death of consoles to mobile games is greatly exaggerated. And this is coming from someone who doesn't even invest in Nintendo hardware anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom