A Spirited Perfect Ten

TalkingHead

I say this as someone who was more infatuated with Indiana Jones as a kid. Star Wars was always second banana to me.

But I remember being impressed by Harrison Ford in the first Indy 4 trailer, so maybe it's residual skepticism of another "return" for a classic character. But the end of the new trailer felt like one of the weaker parts to me.

The Star Destroyer in the sand, however, is a fantastic shot. Curious to see how all of these characters are included in the finished product.

I also know Abrams is a master salesman. I wouldn't begin to judge the quality of the movie based on the trailers.

FrankLapidus

The trailer completely blew me away, for the past few hours I've reverted back to the 7-year-old who first saw and became completely obsessed with everything Star Wars. Everything about that trailer was just perfect and made me desperate to see this film:

- Vader's helmet and Luke saying "my father has it" rather than "my father had it".
- The awesome image of the crashed Star Destroyer.
- The new-look Stormtroopers and what looks to be the beginning of new a Empire.
- The X-Wings.
- The new characters.
- That music (John Williams is a God).
- The black-armoured Stromtrooper (first thought was "the new trilogy's Boba Fett").
- Some snippets of the action set-pieces which looked great.
- Physical sets rather than the endless CGI on which Lucas became far too over-reliant in the prequels.

But the real clincher is seeing Han Solo and Chewbacca finally reunited on screen. For me that's the best cinematic duo ever and seeing Harrison Ford reprising the role of one of my favourite characters is something I never thought would happen. The whole trailer was enthralling but those few seconds at the end were just utterly spine-tingling.

This is how you tease a blockbuster, this is how you whip up mass hysteria amongst a rampant fanbase. This is going to be huge, Disney have put the right people at the helm and I think the end result is going to blow everything else out of the water.

Now I just want to know how big they're going to go with this at the parks, the opportunities are limitless. Over to you Bob...

Last edited:

Quinnmac000

I must be the only one underwhelmed by that Star Wars trailer with the exception of the star destroyer and enjoyed the Inside Out clip and Batman Vs Superman teaser that was put out today way more.

Mike S

The trailer completely blew me away, for the past few hours I've reverted back to the 7-year-old who first saw and became completely obsessed with everything Star Wars. Everything about that trailer was just perfect and made me desperate to see this film:

- Vader's helmet and Luke saying "my father has it" rather than "my father had it".
- The awesome image of the crashed Star Destroyer.
- The new-look Stormtroopers and what looks to be the beginning of new Empire.
- The X-Wings.
- The new characters.
- That music (John Williams is a God).
- The black-armoured Stromtrooper (first thought was "the new trilogy's Boba Fett").
- Some snippets of the action set-pieces which looked great.
- Physical sets rather than the endless CGI on which Lucas became far too over-reliant in the prequels.

But the real clincher is seeing Han Solo and Chewbacca finally reunited on screen. For me that's the best cinematic duo ever and seeing Harrison Ford reprising the role of one of my favourite characters is something I never thought would happen. The whole trailers was enthralling but those few seconds at the end were just utterly spine-tingling.

This is how you tease a blockbuster, this is how you whip up mass hysteria amongst a rampant fanbase. This is going to be huge, Disney have put the right people at the helm and I think the end result is going to blow everything else out of the water.

Now I just want to know how big they're going to go with this at the parks, the opportunities are limitless. Over to you Bob...
That line really has me wondering what he means. I mean, Vader is supposed to be dead, right???

Goofyernmost

And now for something completely different... almost!!

0D05D60E-4D7B-4D8E-9BE2-8A4B119D35D2-90956-000082CFEB21A436_zps17e98d78.jpg

FrankLapidus

That line really has me wondering what he means. I mean, Vader is supposed to be dead, right???

My theory: Luke is in some kind of self-imposed exile, possibly because he's strayed too close to the Dark Side since ROTJ. During that time he's communicated with his father through the force and so speaks about him in the present tense.

As you can see I've way overthought this, one line of dialogue in two minutes of footage and I'm already coming up with theories that are probably wrong! Its not inconceivable that we see Vader in some kind of vision or flashback but I think that line was definitely intended to spark some debate and speculation for the months ahead, in which case its doing its job very well judging by the reaction to it that I've seen.

Last edited:

FigmentJedi

There was actually more practical stuff on the Prequels then you'd think. Yeah, there's blue-screen and CG out the butt in those movies, but there was also a ton of miniatures.
ZZ29B5A692.jpg

image014.jpg

cool-photos-of-the-practical-effects-used-in-star-wars-prequel-trilogy-preview.jpg

star-wars-prequels-sets-34.jpg

The cleanliness of the prequels was an artistic choice to create a contrast between the nostalgic days of the Republic and the griminess of the Empire era.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom