A Spirited Perfect Ten

bhg469

Where was this said in that post?

There used to be an era where a shirt and tie was the norm. That has changed though and I think it's a bit of a reach to claim that choosing attire is the 'ultimate root' of the issue at WDW.

How can you make this assertion when the same people who don't seriously consider attire at WDW...travel to Universal and Disneyland as well?

If it's the ultimate root of anything...it's that the dress code requirement has faded over the years in public. It has become much more liberal. The only place I don't like this at would be high-class restaurants. I don't want people walking into Yachtsman with flip-flops and tank tops if I'm paying for ambiance and a $60 steak.
I work under contract for a lot of sports teams, mainly baseball. Every time I work a game I wonder how the heck those people 60 years ago sat through a game in the summer in dark suits. It blows my mind.

Nubs70

Read it again, as the attitude is defined with "because they are 'just' theme parks."
"I don't care what I wear because they are just theme parks."
"I don't care about small effects because they are just theme parks."
"I don't care about some trash because they are just theme parks."
"I don't care about more dining options because they are just theme parks."
"I don't care about landscaping because they are just theme parks."
"I don't care about sticking to theme because they are just theme parks."
I care because I have respect for the institution and others.

lazyboy97o

I work under contract for a lot of sports teams, mainly baseball. Every time I work a game I wonder how the heck those people 60 years ago sat through a game in the summer in dark suits. It blows my mind.
One of the flaws with us looking to the past as a basis is that notions of a wardrobe have really changed a lot in the past century. The cost of clothing has dropped significantly along with the rise of daily bathing. It wasn't that long ago that a guy who wore a suit every day was wear A single suit that pretty much accounted for his whole wardrobe.

bhg469

One of the flaws with us looking to the past as a basis is that notions of a wardrobe have really changed a lot in the past century. The cost of clothing has dropped significantly along with the rise of daily bathing. It wasn't that long ago that a guy who wore a suit every day was wear A single suit that pretty much accounted for his whole wardrobe.

Oh I get that, it's just that I couldn't imagine having to sit through a game in a suit. I don't want to get fully into it but every article of clothing I wear to games is selected for comfort in the heat, especially when I'm working spring training events.

maxairmike

Sounds like a lot of people have never worn a good golf/sports polo shirt around here. I've always been a t-shirt guy, and I still am, but good golf/sport polos are slowly taking over my wardrobe because they are just so darn comfortable. Yeah, they're a bit more expensive than t-shirts, but the good ones are lighter and breathe much more than any of my t-shirts. My two DCL polos are my favorite, and got both at a big discount at the Disney outlets. Golf shorts are great as well, though they don't have as many pockets as my many pairs of cargo shorts, so I don't have as many. Spend more time in the golf apparel sections, most comfortable clothes in any store.

gmajew

Question for everyone!

Do we think it is possible that Disney is taking a page out of Universal playbook and not going to announce anything again until construction is started or about to start due to the bad press they got with Avatar lag?

I don't know why but I have a feeling they have things locked and ready to go just waiting for some damn reason that I don't understand LOl

bhg469

Question for everyone!

Do we think it is possible that Disney is taking a page out of Universal playbook and not going to announce anything again until construction is started or about to start due to the bad press they got with Avatar lag?

I don't know why but I have a feeling they have things locked and ready to go just waiting for some damn reason that I don't understand LOl
I don't think so. Universal just does things differently. I would expect disney to handle the star wars stuff in a very similar way to pandora. Star was is an infinitly more popular IP so it will be bigger no matter what.

Frankie The Beer

Getting back to the fantasy sports investment Disney made a week ago with DraftKings, it was pointed out to me that Comcast/Universal has invested in Fanduel, the other daily fantasy sports provider. Another interesting thing of note is, Major League Baseball invested in DraftKings, and the NBA invested in Fanduel, whoever gets the NFL will win this little brewing war.

JimboJones123

Bad news, "Inside Out" will not be screened in competition for the Palme D'Or this May at the Cannes Film Festival. I guess a film by Pixar and Pete Docter just can't make it in the big leagues, but somehow Shrek can? (Shrek and Shrek 2 were both screened in competition back at Cannes 2001 and 2004 respectively)
www.slashfilm.com/cannes-2015-lineup/
Or they just didn't want to play cinema politics with the movie.

Frankie The Beer

Bad news, "Inside Out" will not be screened in competition for the Palme D'Or this May at the Cannes Film Festival. I guess a film by Pixar and Pete Docter just can't make it in the big leagues, but somehow Shrek can? (Shrek and Shrek 2 were both screened in competition back at Cannes 2001 and 2004 respectively)
www.slashfilm.com/cannes-2015-lineup/

Who is on the Jury? The Palme D'Or now is very political, its not an outright this film is better than that film anymore.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Getting back to the fantasy sports investment Disney made a week ago with DraftKings, it was pointed out to me that Comcast/Universal has invested in Fanduel, the other daily fantasy sports provider. Another interesting thing of note is, Major League Baseball invested in DraftKings, and the NBA invested in Fanduel, whoever gets the NFL will win this little brewing war.
The NFL would be the holy grail of daily fantasy sports sponsors. The NFL Red Zone is already wildly popular so I can't see them shying away from additional fantasy content. It's really just how much money they can extract from 1 of these companies.

I still think this could end up like satellite radio where the 2 heavy weights duke it out until someone gives and then they merge. Both are spending a ton to grab market share, but that spending isn't sustsinable long term.

Goofyernmost

What about Bull and Bear at The Waldorf Astoria Orlando?

Bull_Bear1_HR-nwsmain.jpg
That would come under the little "etc." that I put in my post. Unless, of course, you are saying that there is no difference between the Waldorf Astoria and WDW. Which would be sad! Seems like a good place to go if you feel like dressing all snazzy and the like!

the.dreamfinder

Or they just didn't want to play cinema politics with the movie.

Who is on the Jury? The Palme D'Or now is very political, its not an outright this film is better than that film anymore.
I was referring to the decision by the festival director to place "Inside Out" in an out of competition screening spot as opposed to being in competition. The jury, led by Joel and Ethan Coen, has no say in the selection of the films to be screened in competition. While there certainly is the internal politics in the voting process, the jury is deliberately sheltered so as to prevent it from being swayed by external politics. The films is competition are supposed to reflect films worthy of consideration for high merit, I just want to see the best animation has to offer be considered in that group.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom