A Spirited Perfect Ten

FigmentJedi

Video on the Prequel miniatures from a deleted scene from a documentary on movie minatures.

It's great that JJ's putting emphasis on how he's using practical effects in this modern environment where Peter Jackson replaces Billy Connolly with a creepy looking CG model in the last Hobbit movie, but it's dishonest to use it as a "Praise Abrams, for he shall deliver us from the Prequels' mistakes" bandwagon plank. Remember, the real problem with the prequels was more in the writing room.

SirLink

Pixels is going to bomb

Nah, Tommorrowland will bomb - it is a Disney Studios branded sci-fi film they all bomb. Pixels will do great outside America, same with Mad Max, etc. And really if a film can survive outside of America all is fine with the world.

CinematicFusion

Crap...... to the DVD player!

Edit: Not the exact same line, not the exact same delivery.

My take:
Line from ROTJ is voiced by an older Hamill for this trailer only. I think it's the same lines until..." You have that power too".
This trailer is all about nostalgia and passing the torch to the new generation.
Great trailer. I could write an essay breaking the trailer down.

Perfect trailer just after the release of the Star Wars trilogy in digital.
Perfect trailer for a comic con style celebration.

Disney marketing working on all cylinders here.

Judging by the reaction it has worked....every parent will be there opening night with their sons and daughters.

I know I'll be there with my two little girls.

FrankLapidus

It's great that JJ's putting emphasis on how he's using practical effects in this modern environment where Peter Jackson replaces Billy Connolly with a creepy looking CG model in the last Hobbit movie, but it's dishonest to use it as a "Praise Abrams, for he shall deliver us from the Prequels' mistakes" bandwagon plank. Remember, the real problem with the prequels was more in the writing room.

The real problems with the prequels were absolutely in the writing room but I still think that green/blue screen was overused by Lucas, particularly in Episodes II and III. Maybe its just a personal preference, I just thought it was too obvious and made the whole thing feel a bit listless. I think Ewan McGregor has spoken about it a couple of times over the years and expressed his dislike for having had to act against a green screen in the prequels. The problems with those films obviously go some way beyond the use of green screen but its something that I was never a fan of personally. But then I've always thought that the sentiment that the use of CGI in the prequels was an artistic choice was distinguish between the Republic and Imperial eras was a bit of a cop-out; I just always thought Lucas preferred the technology and saw it as an easier way to make the films.

Either way I'm happy that they've decided to use more physical sets in The Force Awakens rather than go too far down the digital road. I completely agree with you about the real root of the prequels' issues, the CGI was just a personal gripe on my part.

Last edited:

JediMasterMatt

My take:
Line from ROTJ is voiced by an older Hamill for this trailer only. I think it's the same lines until..." You have that power too".

Nope. It's all from Return of the Jedi's conversation between Luke and Leia regarding their parentage. The sequence is just shuffled around and Gary Rydstrom and Ben Burtt have processed some reverb on the audio.

Luke: There's more. It won't be easy for you to hear it, but you must. If I don't make it back, you're the only hope for the Alliance.
Leia: Luke, don't talk that way! You have a power I don't understand and could never have.
Luke: You're wrong, Leia. You have that power too. In time you'll learn to use it as I have. The Force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it and... [looks directly at Leia] My sister has it

Ah, the benefits of a classically trained Jedi upbringing have finally paid off... and to think my mom said I would never amount to anything.

BTW -my insider Star Wars connections are positively glowing with the state of things inside of Bad Robot these days. These are the same people that this few months out from launch of Phantom Menace were already very concerned. JJ, Lawrence, and Kathy have things well under control and it's looking good as we head down the home stretch.

ToInfinityAndBeyond

Nope. It's all from Return of the Jedi's conversation between Luke and Leia regarding their parentage. The sequence is just shuffled around and Gary Rydstrom and Ben Burtt have processed some reverb on the audio.

Luke: There's more. It won't be easy for you to hear it, but you must. If I don't make it back, you're the only hope for the Alliance.
Leia: Luke, don't talk that way! You have a power I don't understand and could never have.
Luke: You're wrong, Leia. You have that power too. In time you'll learn to use it as I have. The Force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it and... [looks directly at Leia] My sister has it

Ah, the benefits of a classically trained Jedi upbringing have finally paid off... and to think my mom said I would never amount to anything.

BTW -my insider Star Wars connections are positively glowing with the state of things inside of Bad Robot these days. These are the same people that this few months out from launch of Phantom Menace were already very concerned. JJ, Lawrence, and Kathy have things well under control and it's looking good as we head down the home stretch.

I thought it sounded like a younger Hamill, but you can never tell with the vocal talents that man possesses. Also, I am so, so pumped for this film. It's like 1999 again.

CinematicFusion

Great job young padawan....soon you will become a master and then you must choose an apprentice.
I do believe you are 100 percent correct.

I've heard the same thing, that Disney is very excited about what they have seen from the dallies. That was some time ago though, they must be close to a final edit of the film with the exception of music and effects.

I remember with phantom, insiders were concerned with the footage of a certain Character and I had no idea what they ere talking about. I didn't want to believe that kind of talk.

gmajew

Disney Marketing is by far one of the best.... Digital movies released last week now this event.... Imagine the sales they will get now with all the press they are getting.... I was a sucker and bought the movies last week but they are a marketing machine.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
In other news Verizon has broken the bundle for FIOS subscribers, Just broke on CNBC/Bloomberg, Now we know why VIACOM devalued it's cable properties a couple of weeks ago.

The first cracks in the dam are appearing, It should be interesting once customers no longer have to purchase ALL the channels,

I expect properties like ESPN will be hit the hardest and for non-TV watchers like my inlaws (too busy creating stuff to watch TV) they would be happy to get local channels only.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom