A Spirited Perfect Ten

mahnamahna101

Well, I dunno how ridiculous it looks. but as a gamer.. I feel pushed to see it just because heh.

I'll probably go see it because of nostalgia.

It looks fun enough for a light-hearted family comedy. I don't know why everyone on here thinks a kid-friendly movie has to look good in order to succeed. With no real competition until Hotel Transylvania 2, Pixels will have 2 months to itself. Minions and Inside Out will have slowed down a bit by late July. Max is a non-factor.

You do if the story sucks
Considering how horrible Sandler's output in recent years has been, Pixels looks like a breath of fresh air. I could see it getting a 40-50% on RT, which is enough for a family-friendly comedy to succeed.

I just think everyone's underestimating Pixels' appeal with the average Joe. While things like Avengers 2, Mad Max, Tomorrowland, Jurassic World, Inside Out, Terminator, Ant-Man, Mission Impossible, etc... get plenty of online hype, Pixels came out of nowhere and has 35 million+ trailer views.

It probably won't do the $240 million I predicted, but don't let personal opinions of Sandler or the film itself cause a misjudgment in its box office potential. I definitely see it being the sleeper hit of summer 2015. Very much like Dreamworks' Home, everyone expects it to fail.

$130-170 million is reasonable, especially since August is empty in terms of family appeal.

Funmeister

Honestly, does it really bother you all that much how other people dress? I mean if someone is being rude or loud, aggressive or invading your personal space then that's quite understandable- and if someone walks into a restaurant in a bathing suit or half naked, well that could be quite distracting- but to be put out by a strangers' attire because it's not to your taste? Jeez, life's to short. Concentrate on enjoying your own friends and families company, happy in your own attire whether you decided to dress up or whether you're wearing what you felt comfortable in. Who cares what anyone else thinks?!

I think it goes a little beyond taste when it is 98 degrees (100% humidity) and a man with sweaty hairy shoulders keeps bumping into you while you are waiting in line for a show or attraction. When that happens to you once or eight times then it is quite easy to form an opinion. I have seen some pretty nasty and unsanitary things with men and women not wearing underwear under their yoga pants/leggings and workout shorts/bathing suits at all four Florida Disney parks. Let's just say there are places I would not sit or ride vehicles I would not sit in right after them until they are dry and I am not talking about Splash Mountain or Pirates. People are nasty. Not to mention I would NEVER let my kids play in the fountains in some of the parks after seeing people soak their feet and yes...have seen it with my own eyes...wash the diapers out and clean off their baby's bottoms in the water.

There have been studies that show schools that enforce a dress code tend to have less fights then schools with no dress code. People act different depending on how they dress.

MonkeyHead

Yes people dress really trashy at WDW. BUT shorts and a t shirt are a requirement as a guest much of the time. That said, build in the time to change before you go out later on. I'd still look presentable back in the PI days.

Ariel1986

I think it goes a little beyond taste when it is 98 degrees (100% humidity) and a man with sweaty hairy shoulders keeps bumping into you while you are waiting in line for a show or attraction. When that happens to you once or eight times then it is quite easy to form an opinion. I have seen some pretty nasty and unsanitary things with men and women not wearing underwear under their yoga pants/leggings and workout shorts/bathing suits at all four Florida Disney parks. Let's just say there are places I would not sit or ride vehicles I would not sit in right after them until they are dry and I am not talking about Splash Mountain or Pirates. People are nasty. Not to mention I would NEVER let my kids play in the fountains in some of the parks after seeing people soak their feet and yes...have seen it with my own eyes...wash the diapers out and clean off their baby's bottoms in the water.

There have been studies that show schools that enforce a dress code tend to have less fights then schools with no dress code. People act different depending on how they dress.

I'm from the UK- all schools here have compulsory uniforms- so maybe it's just my inner rebel of growing up being told what to wear both at school & at home, but part of me just isn't interested in other's choices of attire and I'm not on board with the idea of judging a stranger's looks & letting it impact my vacation.

It's true though that being bumped into by sweaty hairy shoulders and witnessing diapers being rinsed in fountains is pretty unpleasant- but that's a persons' rude & ignorant behaviour, not their attire. It's also true that there are studies as you say- my father is a Principal, I heard that quote about the studies many times! However like I said, I went to a uniform-is-compulsory school, and well there were still plenty of idiots & disruptive pupils. And I think there always will be people who lack self-awareness and respect, sadly, in life, whether you dress them "accordingly" or not.

Funmeister

I'm from the UK- all schools here have compulsory uniforms- so maybe it's just my inner rebel of growing up being told what to wear both at school & at home, but part of me just isn't interested in other's choices of attire and I'm not on board with the idea of judging a stranger's looks & letting it impact my vacation.

It's true though that being bumped into by sweaty hairy shoulders and witnessing diapers being rinsed in fountains is pretty unpleasant- but that's a persons' rude & ignorant behaviour, not their attire. It's also true that there are studies as you say- my father is a Principal, I heard that quote about the studies many times! However like I said, I went to a uniform-is-compulsory school, and well there were still plenty of idiots & disruptive pupils. And I think there always will be people who lack self-awareness and respect, sadly, in life, whether you dress them "accordingly" or not.

I understand "rude & ignorant behavior" versus "attire" but what happens is this repeated behavior creates prejudice. I can say the years I have worked for Disney I have never seen any of the events mentioned involving guests wearing nice clothes. Is it discriminatory for me to think that? Some may think so but when every time I see it happen it happens with people dressed the way previous posters have described....well...it's hard not to judge.

Disneyhead'71

Have you met many Americans?

Ariel1986

I understand "rude & ignorant behavior" versus "attire" but what happens is this repeated behavior creates prejudice. I can say the years I have worked for Disney I have never seen any of the events mentioned involving guests wearing nice clothes. Is it discriminatory for me to think that? Some may think so but when every time I see it happen it happens with people dressed the way previous posters have described....well...it's hard not to judge.

Well that would make sense if you have worked for Disney and see this routinely, with the culprits always in similar attire. I'd be stupid to say I'm innocent of ever judging a book by its cover, I guess just when on vacation it's not my priority to be scoping out what other park goers are wearing and letting it affect my experience based solely on that. This coupled with the fact my other half wears cargo pants and t-shirts pretty much 24/7 & is heavily pierced & tattooed- yet is not someone who would behave as others & yourself have described, or how I know he can be perceived. I also love dressing up to go out to a nice restaurant, but sometimes, and more often at WDW, I just like to be comfortable & if that's in a slightly dressed down attire I don't care! ;)

Goofyernmost

I just found out that Jean shorts went out of style in the 90's and are now called Jorts. My wife made me quit wearing them. No wonder it's been so hard trying to find them in stores now. A lot of people make fun of them now. Not that it is any reason for you to stop wearing them but something to consider.
I have yet to figure out what people find so offensive about them. I also have a problem with people that feel that they can decide what is cool and what isn't. Who gave them that authority. Some dude with a French accent that stands to lose money if we wear something that they don't make?
I guess what it boils down to is that standards are changing but not really because they should but because we just accept less from everyone as acceptable now.
I would also ask, who decided that the fact that some people prefer to dress more casually is a problem. Whom are they hurting, what business is it of others. Trends change... look at historic pictures of the late 1800's and early 1900's and tell me that you would be happy wearing what they considered "fashionable" and "acceptable" in their particular time span.
Let's just say there are places I would not sit or ride vehicles I would not sit in right after them until they are dry and I am not talking about Splash Mountain or Pirates. People are nasty.
That statement always makes me chuckle a little. Just exactly what evil thing to you think is going to seep up through your two layers of clothing and force it's way into your butt? Is your derriere put through some sort of sterilization process prior to your getting dressed?

Funmeister

That statement always makes me chuckle a little. Just exactly what evil thing to you think is going to seep up through your two layers of clothing and force it's way into your butt? Is your derriere put through some sort of sterilization process prior to your getting dressed?

Hmmm...so when they touch the seat with their bare hand and then grab the door or lap bar with the same hand I tend not to worry about where they sat exactly as much as the entire seating area. It's the entire package.

Disneyhead'71

I have yet to figure out what people find so offensive about them. I also have a problem with people that feel that they can decide what is cool and what isn't. Who gave them that authority. Some dude with a French accent that stands to lose money if we wear something that they don't make?

I would also ask, who decided that the fact that some people prefer to dress more casually is a problem. Whom are they hurting, what business is it of others. Trends change... look at historic pictures of the late 1800's and early 1900's and tell me that you would be happy wearing what they considered "fashionable" and "acceptable" in their particular time span.

Surely you aren't suggesting that there should be no dress codes anywhere?

Goofyernmost

Hmmm...so when they touch the seat with their bare hand and then grab the door or lap bar with the same hand I tend not to worry about where they sat exactly as much as the entire seating area. It's the entire package.
I can see what your saying, however, what guarantee do you have that this hasn't happened a hundred times a day, you just didn't see it. That's the thing, unless we put ourselves in a bubble we are liable to be exposed to all kinds of things. That doesn't automatically mean that any harm will come to anybody. We live in a dirty world, if we spend every waking second concerning ourselves about what MIGHT be, we will miss a whole lot of things that we might enjoy.

Surely you aren't suggesting that there should be no dress codes anywhere?
No, not saying that at all. There are times when respect dictates what you wear. Wakes, Funerals, Job Interviews, Court Appearances, receiving a Congressional Medal of Honor, etc. Dining at a fantasy Theme park is not one of those occasions. In the 50's there are plenty of pictures of Disneyland Guest dressed in ties and suits. If you, presently do not feel comfortable dressed like that, considering the occasion, does that mean that someone has let you lower the standards or that you have taken advantage of a justifiably more relaxed attitude of the people around you and conformed to that standard.

Funmeister

I can see what your saying, however, what guarantee do you have that this hasn't happened a hundred times a day, you just didn't see it. That's the thing, unless we put ourselves in a bubble we are liable to be exposed to all kinds of things. That doesn't automatically mean that any harm will come to anybody. We live in a dirty world, if we spend every waking second concerning ourselves about what MIGHT be, we will miss a whole lot of things that we might enjoy.

No, not saying that at all. There are times when respect dictates what you wear. Wakes, Funerals, Job Interviews, Court Appearances, receiving a Congressional Medal of Honor, etc. Dining at a fantasy Theme park is not one of those occasions. In the 50's there are plenty of pictures of Disneyland Guest dressed in ties and suits. If you, presently do not feel comfortable dressed like that, considering the occasion, does that mean that someone has let you lower the standards or that you have taken advantage of a justifiably more relaxed attitude of the people around you and conformed to that standard.

Lol..I never said it would harm anyone. I am not trying to debate anyone. I see what I see. I don't care for it. My preference. lol That's all. If you are ok with it that is fine. I am not saying you are going to have a better or worse day based on that scenario. I am just saying I handle things different with myself and my family. Thats all. Agree to disagree. lol

Disneyhead'71

What about Bull and Bear at The Waldorf Astoria Orlando?

Bull_Bear1_HR-nwsmain.jpg

ctxak98

How does a collar make clothes hotter? Is there a dialect difference I'm missing and we're speaking about different articles of clothing?
Umm usually a shirt that has a collar is a thicker material than a T-shirt, which is more comfortable to wear while at a theme park in the middle of central Florida, in the hot humidity, and amongst hundreds of other hot people. I'm sorry but I guess we just disagree on this subject! Not everyone is the same and some people adapt differently to temperature change. While you may not find it hot, you have to be aware that other people do.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I am OK with signature restaurants (not in a theme park) having a business casual dress code. They should allow nice shorts but ban flip flops, cuttoff shorts, bathing suits and tank tops. I'm on the fence on t-shirts. I think if you wear a nice pair of shorts and a solid color t-shirt it looks pretty presentable, but I think if you open the door for "tasteful" t-shirts then it's tough to enforce getting rid of the less tasteful ones. It would probably be easier just to require a collar. If you are going to Disney Springs by bus direct from the parks you still need to go to a resort first since there aren't direct buses. It wouldn't be hard to just take the bus back to your own hotel and change shirts. I guess if you aren't staying on property it would be a little more complicated.

lazyboy97o

Umm usually a shirt that has a collar is a thicker material than a T-shirt that, which isore comfortable to wear while at a theme park in the middle of central Florida, in the hot humidity, and amongst hundreds of other hot people. I'm sorry but I guess we just disagree on this subject! Not everyone is the same and some people adapt differently to temperature change. While you may not find it hot, you have to be aware that other people do.
That is an issue of fabric, not the actual collar itself. Shirts with collars come in a variety of fabrics and styles. It also has nothing to do with adjusting to temperatures, as the wearer is still the one choosing the clothes to buy and wear. If Florida's weather was the determining factor than very thin, lightweight button up shirts with similarly lightweight pants should be in the running for the predominate men's style of dress as such attire would not only be light enough to help with the heat but also offer additional protection from the sun.

Disneyhead'71

I got some awesome Ben Hogan golf pants at Walmart for $19. They are grey microfiber and look like regular slacks (with a slightly higher waist). They dry instantly and are very light. I also have quite a few microfiber polos.

But I live in FL. It's hot half the year and I can't walk around dressed like I'm on vacation for 6 months. What I figured out, it really doesn't matter what you wear when the heat index is 106F with 98% humidity. You will be moderately uncomfortable no matter what.

ctxak98

That is an issue of fabric, not the actual collar itself. Shirts with collars come in a variety of fabrics and styles. It also has nothing to do with adjusting to temperatures, as the wearer is still the one choosing the clothes to buy and wear. If Florida's weather was the determining factor than very thin, lightweight button up shirts with similarly lightweight pants should be in the running for the predominate men's style of dress as such attire would not only be light enough to help with the heat but also offer additional protection from the sun.
I'm sorry no. I've never ever found clothing that's button up and thin enough where it passes as being more or as comfortable as a thin t-shirt. Also I never said the collar made it hot, just that shirts with collars that are button up are usually thicker. And it has a lot to do with adjusting! I'm sorry but I know that is an issue with many people! It's hotter for some people than it is for others! To expect someone to dress a certain way YOU would like them too because you don't think its that bad, is absolutely ridiculous!

But I'm done with this discussion as it's going nowhere so why keep it going? Anyways hope you have fine with your button up shirts! I'll stick with the t-shirt on a 90 degree day!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom