A Spirited Perfect Ten

the.dreamfinder

Fast Company has weighed in with a longform piece of its own on MM+. This is the most critical piece on MM+ after two very glowing write ups in Fortune and Wired. I only say critical because of the context the article exists in. What I'm trying to say is this article is the best of a terrible bunch. There are some interesting notes on Imagineering's resistance to it, even having Joe Rohde go on the record criticizing it and downplaying its use for Avatar land, and nasty internal politics between Orlando and Burbank. However, the main issue I see with the article is the authors initial interest in the ballooning cost of NGE only to drop the topic and not dig deeper. When given the opportunity, he fails to ask Staggs tough questions as he goes on to claim it came in under budget which is quite hard to believe given what we know.
http://www.fastcompany.com/3044283/the-messy-business-of-reinventing-happiness?partner=rss#!
Thanks to brands like ESPN and Pixar, much of Disney is known for a creative approach to business. Not the Parks division. "The rest of Disney is younger, more progressive—risk takers—but [Parks] is not," explains one former high-level company leader with strong ties to NGE. "It’s built to be industrial and resilient, for consistency and volume; it’s not built for change." Arguably, the division’s core competency isn’t creativity, but turning creativity into a predictable operation. While the parks do regularly introduce new rides, the division is intent on preserving the spirit of Disney’s tradition, the rickety nostalgia of rides like It’s a Small World, which has barely changed since its debut at the 1964 New York World’s Fair. "If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it": That’s how multiple company sources describe the division’s ethos.

Every corporate rule-breaker has to figure out a strategy to combat naysayers, the keepers of these traditional flames. The rebels of NGE knew that secrecy was critical if they were to build out the vision without interference from the broader organization. "Parks has tried big, transformational efforts before, but most failed because the culture killed them," the former high-level leader says. That’s partly why the NGE team went outside the company for help. Padgett, who led the development of the MagicBand, brought on third-party partners, including designers from the storied San Francisco firm Frog, who signed on in mid-2009.
There was much for naysayers to fault, starting with costs. For example, the earliest bill-of-materials estimate for the MagicBand was $35, 87,000% more expensive than the 4-cent paper tickets Disney historically relied on
Insiders say the Frog team found the internal struggles withering. They faced opposition from a powerful corporate force: Disney’s Imagineers. ... The Frog industrial-design team really ed off the Imagineers, stepping all over their toes and fighting turf battles," explains one insider. The Imagineers pushed back; at one point, multiple sources confirm, they demanded the individual résumés of each Frog designer assigned to the project, a move that some perceived as a personal attack.

The tussle over digital access points, where customers would use their MagicBands to enter each ride, was typical of the dysfunction between Frog and Imagineering. Frog envisioned a waist-high stand featuring the outline of Mickey Mouse’s head, with a MagicBand reader embedded. The idea was to help guests understand how to interact with the device, by touching "Mickey to Mickey," since the MagicBand would also feature the Mouse icon. If the access point’s Mickey glowed green once a guest touched it with a MagicBand, the guest could enter the ride; if it turned blue, that meant the guest required assistance from a cast member.

Imagineers argued that the uniformity of the access points would disrupt the spirit of their uniquely stylized attractions. For example, seeing Mickey’s face on every post would be disconcerting, since there were wide swaths of the park that had nothing to do with the Mouse at all. Ditto for those waist-high digital posts; what business did something looking like a shiny modern mailbox have in the foreground of a medieval castle? The Imagineers preferred designs that would be immersed in the theme of each Disney World ride: futuristic ones for Tomorrowland, Wild West–style ones in Frontierland, and so forth. Their preferences reflected their deepest goal, which is to protect the sanctity of children’s imaginations as they engage with real-life fairy tales at the park. Says veteran Imagineer Joe Rohde, "If I’m supposed to be living with fairies, fairies don’t have iPhones or MagicBands."
Members of the Disney board visited as well, with the exception of Steve Jobs, whose cancer was worsening. Sources say that, despite not seeing MyMagic+ in person, he pledged his support. "I love what you guys are doing," he is said to have conveyed to the group. "You won’t get everything right, but doing what you’ve been doing and believing that will remain the model for the next 20 years is also not right."
The NGE team presented so many different concepts to the Disney leadership that some wondered if their aim was simply to wow top leaders with the long-term potential of NGE through whiz-bang features. There was, for instance, Padgett’s concept for reengineering the airport arrival and departure experience. A team started designing a plastic cart for the guest’s luggage, so compact that it would fit through a special Disney x-ray machine without forcing passengers to separate and throw suitcases and backpacks on the conveyer belt. It was a sort of TSA PreCheck for baggage, which would seamlessly be transported straight to a guest’s hotel room. The team began discussing ways to reengineer airport x-ray machines, and Padgett even organized a meeting with TSA officials. "That project itself cost probably close to $500,000," says a source familiar with the concept work. "And I honestly don’t know: Was it real? Or was it just theater?"
As this dynamic played out[referring to infighting between various divisions in P&R], the company turned to outside software consultancies, all feasting on Disney's resources for the project, which one partner describes as a "cash cow." (According to a knowledgeable source, Accenture billed over $100 million for its role in developing MyMagic+.) Says a leader of one of these project consultancies, "We were basically chartered as a shadow organization [to the IT group], like a backup plan in case hits the fan."
Imagineer Joe Rohde, who sports a tribal-style earring that weighs down his left ear, speaks eloquently about the pros and cons of MyMagic+. We meet over a model of Avatar Land, the movie-inspired Disney World extension set to open in 2017. He tells me the Imagineers are trying to hit that sweet spot where the technology stays "subconscious," because he doesn’t want to see "switching behavior"—he waves his wrist around in front of his face—"in between the human and the experience."

I ask where MyMagic+ will influence Avatar Land, and Rohde turns my attention to the model, which is the size of three Ping-Pong tables. He swirls his finger around a tiny section. This little spot is where MyMagic+ will be put to use, in "the most intensive, interactive moments." What about the area’s two big attractions? "Less so," he adds.

What excites the Imagineers about Avatar Land? The robotics prototypes they’ve built, which they think represent the next generation of animatronics. MyMagic+ is just a tool that Imagineers tell me they don’t want to force on visitors. "We don’t want to say, ‘Hey, guest, go around and tap with your MagicBand to cause something magical to happen,’ " Vaughn says. "We never want to do it just because we can."

Disneyhead'71

I'm sorry no. I've never ever found clothing that's button up and thin enough where it passes as being more or as comfortable as a thin t-shirt. Also I never said the collar made it hot, just that shirts with collars that are button up are usually thicker. And it has a lot to do with adjusting! I'm sorry but I know that is an issue with many people! It's hotter for some people than it is for others! To expect someone to dress a certain way YOU would like them too because you don't think its that bad, is absolutely ridiculous!

But I'm done with this discussion as it's going nowhere so why keep it going? Anyways hope you have fine with your button up shirts! I'll stick with the t-shirt on a 90 degree day!
Oh, 90°. I thought we were talking hot. At 90°, I'm looking for a wind breaker.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Fast Company has weighed in with a longform piece of its own on MM+. This is the most critical piece on MM+ after two very glowing write ups in Fortune and Wired. I only say critical because of the context the article exists in. What I'm trying to say is this article is the best of a terrible bunch. There are some interesting notes on Imagineering's resistance to it, even having Joe Rohde go on the record criticizing it and downplaying its use for Avatar land, and nasty internal politics between Orlando and Burbank. However, the main issue I see with the article is the authors initial interest in the ballooning cost of NGE only to drop interest and not dig deeper or ask Staggs tough questions as he goes on to claim it came in under budget which is quite hard to believe.
http://www.fastcompany.com/3044283/the-messy-business-of-reinventing-happiness?partner=rss#!
As someone pointed out to me there is already a thread on this posted by the author himself. He's gonna be around for a few days answering questions.

CDavid

Umm usually a shirt that has a collar is a thicker material than a T-shirt, which is more comfortable to wear while at a theme park in the middle of central Florida, in the hot humidity, and amongst hundreds of other hot people. I'm sorry but I guess we just disagree on this subject! Not everyone is the same and some people adapt differently to temperature change. While you may not find it hot, you have to be aware that other people do.

That is an issue of fabric, not the actual collar itself. Shirts with collars come in a variety of fabrics and styles. It also has nothing to do with adjusting to temperatures, as the wearer is still the one choosing the clothes to buy and wear. If Florida's weather was the determining factor than very thin, lightweight button up shirts with similarly lightweight pants should be in the running for the predominate men's style of dress as such attire would not only be light enough to help with the heat but also offer additional protection from the sun.

Indeed, if the weight (thickness) of the material were the determining factor, then many button-front dress shirts would be the apparel of choice. The mere presence or absence of a collar doesn't make a shirt any more or less warmer to wear. You can purchase clothes of many styles and varieties which can keep you cool and comfortable in the hot Florida sun; The need or desire for such comfort in no way whatsoever requires a person dress in attire which (too often) is not appropriate to even be worn out in public, let alone a nice restaurant. Most t-shirts are hardly the most offensive article of clothing seen in the parks, but again, the mere requirement of a collar would tend to elevate the overall dress of those patronizing nicer restaurants.

Also I never said the collar made it hot, just that shirts with collars that are button up are usually thicker

Not all shirts with collars are button-up shirts, though those actually are often the thinnest material. A (collared) polo shirt is also perfectly appropriate also in many instances.

Nick Pappagiorgio

I'm from the UK- all schools here have compulsory uniforms- so maybe it's just my inner rebel of growing up being told what to wear both at school & at home, but part of me just isn't interested in other's choices of attire and I'm not on board with the idea of judging a stranger's looks & letting it impact my vacation.

It's true though that being bumped into by sweaty hairy shoulders and witnessing diapers being rinsed in fountains is pretty unpleasant- but that's a persons' rude & ignorant behaviour, not their attire. It's also true that there are studies as you say- my father is a Principal, I heard that quote about the studies many times! However like I said, I went to a uniform-is-compulsory school, and well there were still plenty of idiots & disruptive pupils. And I think there always will be people who lack self-awareness and respect, sadly, in life, whether you dress them "accordingly" or not.

Exactly...I went to private school in the US and nothing really changes. People still have their same good or bad personality traits and will find some way to express them. I honestly thought it was worse in private school then when I was in public school because you teach kids to come up with more creative ways to insult people.

lazyboy97o

I'm sorry no. I've never ever found clothing that's button up and thin enough where it passes as being more or as comfortable as a thin t-shirt. Also I never said the collar made it hot, just that shirts with collars that are button up are usually thicker. And it has a lot to do with adjusting! I'm sorry but I know that is an issue with many people! It's hotter for some people than it is for others! To expect someone to dress a certain way YOU would like them too because you don't think its that bad, is absolutely ridiculous!

But I'm done with this discussion as it's going nowhere so why keep it going? Anyways hope you have fine with your button up shirts! I'll stick with the t-shirt on a 90 degree day!
I've said nothing about desiring to see people dress a certain way. I'm just not buying the nonsense that certain articles are chosen for practicality and comfort, especially since there are more practice choices readily available. I also take issue with the attitude that one should not seriously consider attire for attending the Disney parks because they are "just" theme parks, as that attitude is the ultimate root of all that is wrong with Walt Disney World at present.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I've said nothing about desiring to see people dress a certain way. I'm just not buying the nonsense that certain articles are chosen for practicality and comfort, especially since there are more practice choices readily available. I also take issue with the attitude that one should not seriously consider attire for attending the Disney parks because they are "just" theme parks, as that attitude is the ultimate root of all that is wrong with Walt Disney World at present.
For the parks, there's nothing wrong with comfortable shorts and a t-shirt. It's a lot of walking so practicality and comfort are a big factor for me. There's no place for offensive t-shirts or half naked people, but that's really true anywhere. Not just in a theme park.

spacemt354

Chili's
I also take issue with the attitude that one should not seriously consider attire for attending the Disney parks because they are "just" theme parks, as that attitude is the ultimate root of all that is wrong with Walt Disney World at present.

Where was this said in that post?

There used to be an era where a shirt and tie was the norm. That has changed though and I think it's a bit of a reach to claim that choosing attire is the 'ultimate root' of the issue at WDW.

How can you make this assertion when the same people who don't seriously consider attire at WDW...travel to Universal and Disneyland as well?

If it's the ultimate root of anything...it's that the dress code requirement has faded over the years in public. It has become much more liberal. The only place I don't like this at would be high-class restaurants. I don't want people walking into Yachtsman with flip-flops and tank tops if I'm paying for ambiance and a $60 steak.

ctxak98

For the parks, there's nothing wrong with comfortable shorts and a t-shirt. It's a lot of walking so practicality and comfort are a big factor for me. There's no place for offensive t-shirts or half naked people, but that's really true anywhere. Not just in a theme park.
Thank you. This is what I've been trying to point out. I Don't think naked people should be allowed to dine at a restaurant, but if you are dressed well enough to get on a ride without any article of clothing falling off during, then for me I think you're fine going to dinner somewhere if you choose to do so!

ctxak98

And at 60 you'll be looking for a winter coat...while I'll be in shorts. ;)

Everyone comes from different areas of the globe. Different climates. Different adaptations. Respect it and move on. Not sure what this discussion is all about.
This is what I'm saying! I live in the far north where we barely have summer weather so when I do go to Florida it can be very hot for my family and I.

spacemt354

Chili's
This is what I'm saying! I live in the far north where we barely have summer weather so when I do go to Florida it can be very hot for my family and I.

Yep! The Floridian heat and humidity, especially in July/August, can be quite overwhelming for a family from the north. It's actually the main reason we try to go to the parks in the AM, head back to the hotel pool before noon, then head back to the parks in the early evening, to avoid the hottest part of the day.

lazyboy97o

I never said there is anything wrong with shorts and a t-shirt. Just don't pretend that they are the only options for personal comfort.

Where was this said in that post?

There used to be an era where a shirt and tie was the norm. That has changed though and I think it's a bit of a reach to claim that choosing attire is the 'ultimate root' of the issue at WDW.

How can you make this assertion when the same people who don't seriously consider attire at WDW...travel to Universal and Disneyland as well?

If it's the ultimate root of anything...it's that the dress code requirement has faded over the years in public. It has become much more liberal. The only place I don't like this at would be high-class restaurants. I don't want people walking into Yachtsman with flip-flops and tank tops if I'm paying for ambiance and a $60 steak.
The notion of not caring how one is dressing because of the environment being a theme park has been mentioned several times and is a very common point made in discussions on theme park attire. But do go back and re-read what I said, as I never claimed that attire is the root of the problems at Walt Disney World. The root of the problems is the attitude regarding theme parks, one that is reflected in such statements regarding attire.

Cesar R M

That statement always makes me chuckle a little. Just exactly what evil thing to you think is going to seep up through your two layers of clothing and force it's way into your butt? Is your derriere put through some sort of sterilization process prior to your getting dressed?
perhaps:
a) the smell
b) they sweeping water everywhere.
c) causing a mess.

spacemt354

Chili's
The notion of not caring how one is dressing because of the environment being a theme park has been mentioned several times and is a very common point made in discussions on theme park attire. But do go back and re-read what I said, as I never claimed that attire is the root of the problems at Walt Disney World. The root of the problems is the attitude regarding theme parks, one that is reflected in such statements regarding attire.

You said the... "attitude that one should not seriously consider attire for attending the Disney parks because they are "just" theme parks, as that attitude is the ultimate root of all that is wrong with Walt Disney World at present.

The bolded "that attitude" refers directly and specifically back to the previous statement regarding attire. Not a generalized attitude regarding theme parks. If that was your objective, you didn't really say that clearly.

lazyboy97o

You said the... "attitude that one should not seriously consider attire for attending the Disney parks because they are "just" theme parks, as that attitude is the ultimate root of all that is wrong with Walt Disney World at present.

The bolded "that attitude" refers directly and specifically back to the previous statement regarding attire. Not a generalized attitude regarding theme parks. If that was your objective, you didn't really say that clearly.
Read it again, as the attitude is defined with "because they are 'just' theme parks."
"I don't care what I wear because they are just theme parks."
"I don't care about small effects because they are just theme parks."
"I don't care about some trash because they are just theme parks."
"I don't care about more dining options because they are just theme parks."
"I don't care about landscaping because they are just theme parks."
"I don't care about sticking to theme because they are just theme parks."

spacemt354

Chili's
Read it again, as the attitude is defined with "because they are 'just' theme parks."
"I don't care what I wear because they are just theme parks."
"I don't care about small effects because they are just theme parks."
"I don't care about some trash because they are just theme parks."
"I don't care about more dining options because they are just theme parks."
"I don't care about landscaping because they are just theme parks."
"I don't care about sticking to theme because they are just theme parks."
I read it enough. I understand it on second read it just wasn't worded properly, that's all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom