A Spirited Perfect Ten

docnabox

There's plenty of restaurants for Children.

Besides..... how else are children going to learn decorum and proper dress if they dont from an early age?

I'll give you a prime example ( & @Disneyhead'71 will likely back me up)..... People today have no idea what proper dress is in formal situations. For example - funerals. Look at what adults wear to a very reverent and dignified setting as a funeral and you'll be appalled. I've worked so many when I've been one of the best dressed people in the room, even with cameras.

(Side note, I worked a Cop Funeral in 2005/6 in Orlando and the video guy for Orange County SO showed up in shorts. Complete lack of respect.)

So I'm fine with making it so we teach kids a little decorum.

I so agree with this. Maybe I am just out of touch but when I was younger, if my family went to a nice restaurant for dinner, I dressed nicely. I might not have liked it but I did. In fact, these people talking about how they can't get their children to wear this or that - when I was a child, I wore what I was told to wear on occasions like that. It really wasn't up for discussion and my parents didn't really care what I thought about the matter. They were not cruel or especially hard-nosed parents about that or anything else. They just established rules and made decisions about things like that because they were the ones in charge, not me. If I wanted to go to McDonalds, shorts and a T-shirt were great but if I wanted to be treated to a great meal at a nice restaurant, I had to dress for the situation.

I have also been to funerals with people in shorts or almost worse, concert T-shirts. I realize not everyone has a massive wardrobe and they might not have the nicest clothes, but there are occasions which call for decorum and respect as you stated.

Last thing - last Christmas when in NYC for a few days, we saw several shows on Broadway. I was shocked there too. For us, these were special events we paid a lot of money for and we dressed accordingly. I saw plenty of people, adults and children in slouchy workout garb and ripped jeans.

I guess what it boils down to is that standards are changing but not really because they should but because we just accept less from everyone as acceptable now.

CDavid

In florida's summer heat, I find this dress code to be a bit much! I know that I definately wouldn't want to go back and get dressed for dinner if I was planning on being in the park that day!

Thing is, however, that closed-toe shoes and collared shirts are completely reasonable and appropriate attire for a day in the parks regardless of dining intentions - but particularly appropriate if you want to be out and comfortable all day and then still be able to patronize a nicer restaurant in the evening without having to return to the hotel and change.

Dress codes need to be simple and easy to enforce. Merely requiring shirts with collars would tend to elevate the attire of most diners. Granted, somehow could come in with a dress shirt and torn & ragged cut-off jeans, but I suspect most people would interpret the need for a collared shirt as also calling for nicer pants or shorts.

the.dreamfinder

On a non dress code related note, it looks like Disney has lost another talent; Patrick Osborne, director of the Academy Award winning "Feast". Based on this tweet, it looks like he moved over to Google ATAP.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 55

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Thing is, however, that closed-toe shoes and collared shirts are completely reasonable and appropriate attire for a day in the parks regardless of dining intentions - but particularly appropriate if you want to be out and comfortable all day and then still be able to patronize a nicer restaurant in the evening without having to return to the hotel and change.

Dress codes need to be simple and easy to enforce. Merely requiring shirts with collars would tend to elevate the attire of most diners. Granted, somehow could come in with a dress shirt and torn & ragged cut-off jeans, but I suspect most people would interpret the need for a collared shirt as also calling for nicer pants or shorts.

Exactly a collared shirt would be a big upgrade in most cases and my Hawaiian shirts and Mickey in Paradise shirts would be allowed

Nemo14

You know he will.

So, I noticed your trip count down clock. Marco Island. NICE. Went with a friend a life time ago. Do they still have Michelbob's ribs down there? Man, those were AWESOME!
Haven't been in a long time, so we're pretty excited to be going again - and it's off-season so we got a great deal on a condo. Seems like there's a lot to do in that area too, but we'll be sure to look for Michaelbob's!

TeriofTerror

I wear capris and a cute top or a sundress in the parks. Jersey wrap dresses pack beautifully and are lovely for an evening out. It doesn't take any more effort to don nice clothes than crappy ones. I sometimes look at people in the parks and marvel that they had several opportunities to consider their apparel: when they purchased it, when they packed it, when they put it on. And still, this is what they chose. Sigh...

CaptainAmerica

I wear capris and a cute top or a sundress in the parks. Jersey wrap dresses pack beautifully and are lovely for an evening out. It doesn't take any more effort to don nice clothes than crappy ones. I sometimes look at people in the parks and marvel that they had several opportunities to consider their apparel: when they purchased it, when they packed it, when they put it on. And still, this is what they chose. Sigh...
What an ignorant and condescending sentiment. It's really saying something that you think I'm supposed to care what you think of me when I get dressed in the morning.

ETA: I had to Google what a "Jersey wrap dress" is but FWIW some of the nastiest ladies running around WDW are wearing exactly that.

Last edited:

ctxak98

Don't get me wrong! I totally see where you are coming from. I think if you plan on going out to eat one night and that's all you have planned , at a top Disney restaurant or any restaurant for that matter, then yes I would dress up nicely too! I happen to think collared shirts are comfortable as well as pants.

That being said, my main point is that not everyone has the time in their trip to just leave the parks and change before dinner. Especially if you have limited time and want to experience it all. Florida in summer can be unbearable at times, especially for me I know it is! I would not want to be in a collared shirt for that matter at any of the parks for the whole day! It would be awful! People who live in Florida probably are use to it but for people who love further away, they probably are not use to the weather conditions. That's just how it is.

So my question is that would you really despise if a family went to dinner at a park without being "properly" dressed, if you knew they just wanted to experience that side of Disney? I mean for some people it's a once in a lifetime trip. I don't know really where I stand on this myself yet, but I know I would have a hard time telling someone that they aren't dressed nice enough, when I know they are probably just trying to have a good time! That's all.

Disneyhead'71

OK, confession time. I dress better when I have my kids (DD18 & DD14) in tow. In the parks and DTD it's cargo shorts, trainers, and polo. For dinner at one of the resort signatures it's slacks, leather shoes and socks and a polo or dress shirt. The girls wear dresses to the signatures.

That's just how we roll. Others can vacation as they please.

lazyboy97o

Don't get me wrong! I totally see where you are coming from. I think if you plan on going out to eat one night and that's all you have planned , at a top Disney restaurant or any restaurant for that matter, then yes I would dress up nicely too! I happen to think collared shirts are comfortable as well as pants.

That being said, my main point is that not everyone has the time in their trip to just leave the parks and change before dinner. Especially if you have limited time and want to experience it all. Florida in summer can be unbearable at times, especially for me I know it is! I would not want to be in a collared shirt for that matter at any of the parks for the whole day! It would be awful! People who live in Florida probably are use to it but for people who love further away, they probably are not use to the weather conditions. That's just how it is.

So my question is that would you really despise if a family went to dinner at a park without being "properly" dressed, if you knew they just wanted to experience that side of Disney? I mean for some people it's a once in a lifetime trip. I don't know really where I stand on this myself yet, but I know I would have a hard time telling someone that they aren't dressed nice enough, when I know they are probably just trying to have a good time! That's all.
How does a collar make clothes hotter? Is there a dialect difference I'm missing and we're speaking about different articles of clothing?

Ariel1986

Honestly, does it really bother you all that much how other people dress? I mean if someone is being rude or loud, aggressive or invading your personal space then that's quite understandable- and if someone walks into a restaurant in a bathing suit or half naked, well that could be quite distracting- but to be put out by a strangers' attire because it's not to your taste? Jeez, life's too short. Concentrate on enjoying your own friends and families company, happy in your own attire whether you decided to dress up or whether you're wearing what you felt comfortable in. Who cares what anyone else thinks?!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom