A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

You don't get 35 million+ trailer views for a broad family comedy starring Adam Sandler with a solid supporting cast + director and end up with a bomb.

$150-250 million is the range. Chris Columbus knows how to get families in the theater.
Well, I dunno how ridiculous it looks. but as a gamer.. I feel pushed to see it just because heh.

ctxak98

If I were to make a dress code for The Boathouse, it would be collared shirts, no cut-off shorts, and closed toed shoes for men. Polos, cargo shorts, and trainers are fine for this type of place. T-shirts and Flip-Flops less so.
In florida's summer heat, I find this dress code to be a bit much! I know that I definately wouldn't want to go back and get dressed for dinner if I was planning on being in the park that day!

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
U
Yeah, my kids before they turned 21 would hardly ever wear a collared shirt, and barely wear them now. Are you asking a 7 year old to put on a collared shirt at Disney to go to lunch or dinner, when that child has probably never worn anything but a t-shirt, except maybe to go to church? The dress standards are a LOT lower nowadays. Is that a good thing/bad thing? Personal opinion there. Remember that men wore suits and woman wore Sunday dresses to go to DL when it first opened! Now, not so much. We are much more relaxed in our way of dressing in this country.

I wear all sorts of different items to the parks. Sometimes a t-shirt with jean shorts, sometimes a collared shirt with dress shorts. I never wear cargo shorts, and don't even own a pair. I don't carry that much with me, so wouldn't need the extra pockets.

Where do you draw the line for which kids can wear t-shirts at a restaurant? 7? 10? 14? 18? How would Disney enforce that? Require ID to get into a restaurant? Not tenable for anyplace to enforce that kind of rule. And can you see all of the parents? Hey if my child can wear a t-shirt, why can't I? Doesn't make it right, but you know they would.

You must be less than 48" tall and look like a kid to wear at t-shirt perhaps...

Disneyhead'71

In florida's summer heat, I find this dress code to be a bit much! I know that I definately wouldn't want to go back and get dressed for dinner if I was planning on being in the park that day!
I live in Orlando and work outside everyday. I wear a Polo, slacks, and 10" combat boots everyday. Light airy trainers and shorts sounds pretty casual to me.

Goofyernmost

And I applaud you for that, but unfortunately, you are far, far down in the minority of people that visit WDW now.
Yup. Whatever happened to just locking them in the car and bringing out a doggy bag for them to eat on the way back to the hotel. I swear, people have no imagination anymore.

PhotoDave219

I'm so glad you don't make decisions for Disney! The problem with that code is that it is NOT kid friendly at all. They did not design and build this place for adults only. Everything Disney has released about it says it is supposed to be kid friendly.

There's plenty of restaurants for Children.

Besides..... how else are children going to learn decorum and proper dress if they dont from an early age?

I'll give you a prime example ( & @Disneyhead'71 will likely back me up)..... People today have no idea what proper dress is in formal situations. For example - funerals. Look at what adults wear to a very reverent and dignified setting as a funeral and you'll be appalled. I've worked so many when I've been one of the best dressed people in the room, even with cameras.

(Side note, I worked a Cop Funeral in 2005/6 in Orlando and the video guy for Orange County SO showed up in shorts. Complete lack of respect.)

So I'm fine with making it so we teach kids a little decorum.

hopemax

One of our most memorable dining experiences, my Dad and I were just talking about it the other night, was after a ride on the Durango & Silverton Railroad in 1992. We saw a sign for Prime Rib buffet, which my parents thought sounded good. So we walk into this restaurant, and its clearly high end, Maitre D, crystal and gold everywhere. My parents quite sheepishly go to turn around and the very finely-dressed Maitre'D quickly comes over and assures us that they are very well aware that most of their customers have come for the train, and they expect us to be dressed as we are, in our shorts and tank tops; their job was to deliver a fine dining experience and that did not depend on the attire of the clientele.

So we stayed, and it is still one of the best experiences I've ever had. The food was phenomenal, and at 16, I had never dined anywhere where there was always someone to help with your chair, or refold your napkin while you were away from the table. Where silverware would appear and disappear as needed. Your every need was attended too, and yet it felt like there wasn't anyone else there at all. My Dad calls it five-star, but I imagine people would disagree, because it was a buffet. But aside from preconceptions that come with what a buffet should be, it was exceptional in every other way.

In a world of limitless opportunities, it seems like there should be room to be both casual in atmosphere and yet extravagant in terms of the menu. Just like, there are people that love to dress up, but through circumstances have to be frugal. So why not a place where cocktail dresses are expected, but nothing costs more than $10. Strange now, but maybe someday. Like those cat coffee houses.

Disneyhead'71

There's plenty of restaurants for Children.

Besides..... how else are children going to learn decorum and proper dress if they dont from an early age?

I'll give you a prime example ( & @Disneyhead'71 will likely back me up)..... People today have no idea what proper dress is in formal situations. For example - funerals. Look at what adults wear to a very reverent and dignified setting as a funeral and you'll be appalled. I've worked so many when I've been one of the best dressed people in the room, even with cameras.

(Side note, I worked a Cop Funeral in 2005/6 in Orlando and the video guy for Orange County SO showed up in shorts. Complete lack of respect.)

So I'm fine with making it so we teach kids a little decorum.
What is even funnier is what some folks choose to wear to court. Pajamas and fuzzy slippers to full on spandex club wear with 7" clear acrylic platforms.

DisDan

Not to get off the topic of jorts and kids wearing collared shirts, but I thought this was an interesting read:
http://www.fastcompany.com/3044283/the-messy-business-of-reinventing-happiness#!

Not sure if it has been posted here before, but it was the first time I had seen it. Staggs is still holding on to the notion that the project was not over budget.

There is a whole thread in this forum dedicated to that article. The Author himself created the post and has been answering questions all day.

OSUgirl77

I actually take the opposite view on this. If I'm having dinner at one of the resorts, I almost always go back to my room and change after being in the parks all day, especially if it's hot and I'm headed to a nicer restaurant.

I know, I know, @Animaniac93-98. Elitist. ;)

Disneyhead'71

I actually take the opposite view on this. If I'm having dinner at one of the resorts, I almost always go back to my room and change after being in the parks all day, especially if it's hot and I'm headed to a nicer restaurant.

I know, I know, @Animaniac93-98. Elitist. ;)
In June, July, and Aug, I almost always go to the room and shower prior to going to dinner. If for nothing else to put on a dry shirt and socks.

Mawg

Sometimes a t-shirt with jean shorts

I just found out that Jean shorts went out of style in the 90's and are now called Jorts. My wife made me quit wearing them. No wonder it's been so hard trying to find them in stores now. A lot of people make fun of them now. Not that it is any reason for you to stop wearing them but something to consider.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom