A Spirited Perfect Ten

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I can't find the discussion thread now, but no one should wear cargo shorts anywhere, ever. Unless time traveling back to 1997. ;)

ONLY time I wear them is when in a foreign country and carrying our documents. I put them in a zipped and button cargo pocket. Abercrombie, AE, and Hollister have some that fit into 2015 more. Even at my age I may be off of current fashion because I prefer doing my hair well over those wretched flat bill hats.

ParentsOf4

Having spent 22 years in the military, I can understand where you are coming from, but kids nowadays would not survive in the military way of doing things. Having seen that in most places around here, they do just barely enough to get by and keep their jobs, having to actually work for a living would kill them.
My grandfather, who fought in World War I, used to say the same about my father's generation, who fought in World War II. ;)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
There is a huge area between requiring men to wear jackets and the other extreme you describe. IMHO what you are describing isn't appropriate for a Taco Bell let alone a nice restaurant. I don't think you need to require a formal dress code to keep the place classy. If dressing up floats your boat there are other options. I'd go off WDW property.

A dress code does not mean a jacket and tie, I'm perfectly happy with a collared shirt don't care about color coordination, Trouble is the 'average' american WDW guest seems to prefer dressing at the other extreme.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Having spent 22 years in the military, I can understand where you are coming from, but kids nowadays would not survive in the military way of doing things. Having seen that in most places around here, they do just barely enough to get by and keep their jobs, having to actually work for a living would kill them.

Oh, and I pretty much dress in t-shirt and house shorts for work, as I work full time out of my home office. That 40 foot commute is a pain, though. :cool:

Well in that case once again Darwin would be vindicated and only those smart enough to adapt would survive which would not be a bad thing overall.

CDavid

I can't find the discussion thread now, but no one should wear cargo shorts anywhere, ever. Unless time traveling back to 1997. ;)

As have I - I do a LOT of work in Silicon Valley so I understand that half the folks I work with dont even OWN a sport coat., But casual to too many people means flip flops, belly shirts unisex unfortunately and half moons peering out of shorts (top bottom or both), Not to mention the screaming out of control kids.

So long as we're condemning cargo shorts, can we ban flip flops too please? At least anywhere in public that's not a beach or a pool... :happy:

Lee

Adventurer
ONLY time I wear them is when in a foreign country and carrying our documents. I put them in a zipped and button cargo pocket. Abercrombie, AE, and Hollister have some that fit into 2015 more. Even at my age I may be off of current fashion because I prefer doing my hair well over those wretched flat bill hats.
I live in cargos. Shorts and pants. No desire to ever change.:cool:

Cargos and an occasional pair of jeans or casual khakis, that's as formal as I get outside of a funeral or some such.

Just as well that I have no desire for "fine dining." I lack the palate or the attire for it.

PhotoDave219

Cargos and an occasional pair of jeans or casual khakis, that's as formal as I get outside of a funeral or some such.

Just as well that I have no desire for "fine dining." I lack the palate or the attire for it.

We differ... i have the palate and the attire for the finer things in life. I like dressing up.

JimboJones123

I have worn more suits in the past 8 months than I have the past 2 decades. And it is eating away at my soul.

Please let the suit wearing end sooner rather than later.

Tigger1988

In other news a certain poster who does not seem to be able to deal with logic and reality is once again throwing insults.
You don't seem able to deal with common sense and facts, as you so often post blatantly inaccurate information and then vanish when called out on it.

You seem out to make everyone see the world as a miserable place, unfortunately for you not everyone agrees.

Goofyernmost

My grandfather, who fought in World War I, used to say the same about my father's generation, who fought in World War II. ;)
Yes, that's true and also beyond that. I have seen some accounts of the current basic military training. Some of those milk sops would die if they had to deal with basic training the way we did in the 60's. And I was in the Air Force, which was like daycare next to the Army and Marines.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member

I bet you live in them with your mountain cabin ala Deliverance gas station village. In a family of cooks by hobby it is hard to find "fine dining" that is worth it, especially being right on the coast where Seafood is always better. That and on vacation I am not going to pack formal clothes much less take the time to go and iron, change before/after, and that jazz.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A dress code does not mean a jacket and tie, I'm perfectly happy with a collared shirt don't care about color coordination, Trouble is the 'average' american WDW guest seems to prefer dressing at the other extreme.
If I end up eating at the Boathouse I'll be wearing a collared golf shirt and some khaki shorts. I can't control what everyone else wears, but better to be part of the solution than part of the problem :)

I don't think it's necessarily the average guest you are pointing out. I don't deny that those people do exist, but I still think they are outliers. I bet if you go to the Boathouse on a busy Saturday night less than 5% of the customers will be dressed in tank tops and flip flops with their underwear hanging out. The average customer will probably be wearing something at least half nice and there will likely be a decent number of guests in jackets. I think the average guest knows better than to show up at a nice restaurant dressed like that. Now if you are talking just guests in general at the theme parks then the number of the lesser dressed will probably be higher.

Mouse_Trap

Since this seems to be a recurring thing here, I want to clarify that my love of In-N-Out is based upon the totality of the circumstances: it's a very good burger at an inexpensive price prepared by friendly employees who are well-paid by a company that understands corporate responsibility. I admire and respect In-N-Out as a company as much as I like their burgers. I don't claim their burgers are the best on the planet--but I do think they are the best value for money. (A Double-Double is $3.60...that's cheaper than a Big Mac, let alone one of the other gourmet burger places, where prices typically start around $8.)

According to In-N-Out's website, they start their employees at a minimum of $10.50 a hour...

If it was agreed, according to http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-disney-10-hour-20140725-story.html
WDW are currently paying a minimum of $9/hour and moving to $10/hour next year.

bhg469

Dude, don't you dare apologize for shorts that have pockets on them. People complaining about cargo shorts irks me because they're clearly not cut off Jean shorts. Aside from that most of my expensive golf shorts look exactly the same only they are missing a pocket On the thigh.

I don't get how a guy could criticize another guys choice of outfit unless you're looking like joe dirt. Or he likes his men dressed classy... not that there is anything wrong with that.

TalkingHead

I happen to like you, for instance

You just like the 200 pics I took of the details in the American Adventure restroom and posted to my Magical Potties Blog.

(Trivia: I have the original Marc Davis concept art of Johnny Tremain hand-dryers that were designed for the American pavilion. I'm going to put it up for auction on eBay. Bidding starts at $499.99)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom