A Spirited Perfect Ten

Steel City Magic

Boathouse looks great! Personally I'm more excited for 'the Hangar', especially if the rumors are true that they may spruce up Walt's plane from the backlot tour and incorporate it into the design. overall I really dig the aesthetic that they are going for in Disney Springs.

Mickey_777

I like a good Filet as much as the next man (and don't mind paying a bit extra while on vacay), but the Boathouse's design strikes me as uninspired. Then again I've never been a big fan of the nautical theme.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
My list of 'is it better than...?' restaurants would be:

Yachtsman Steakhouse
Jiko
Artist Point (underrated)
Flying Fish Cafe
V&As (price point for some dishes is close enough to make the comparison apt)

I can't speak to the food as I have not tried it, but just in seeing photos, it cannot touch a single one of those restaurants in terms of ambiance.

Different types of ambiance. The Boathouse isn't lacking in ambiance, it's lacking in luxurious ambiance. I prefer the look and feel of the Boathouse to a place like Yachtsman. Artist point is a great pick too.

I can't find the discussion thread now, but no one should wear cargo shorts anywhere, ever. Unless time traveling back to 1997. ;)

I have some from the Gap! That's trendy man.

Frankie The Beer

Quoting in part from Mr. Fink's letter:

As I am sure you recognize, the effects of the short-termist phenomenon are troubling both to those seeking to save for long-term goals such as retirement and for our broader economy. In the face of these pressures, more and more corporate leaders have responded with actions that can deliver immediate returns to shareholders, such as buybacks or dividend increases, while underinvesting in innovation, skilled workforces or essential capital expenditures necessary to sustain long-term growth.​

In 2014, dividends and buybacks in the U.S. alone totaled more than $900 billion, according to Standard & Poor’s — the highest level on record. With interest rates approaching zero, returning excessive amounts of capital to investors — who will enjoy comparatively meager benefits from it in this environment — sends a discouraging message about a company’s ability to use its resources wisely and develop a coherent plan to create value over the long term.​

100% right.

I don't blame CEO's for stock by backs, I blame investors like myself. As soon as I hear of a company announcing stock by backs, I go in full throttle because I know I'll be making money during the life of the buy back. Stock buy backs are the absolute easiest way to get the Street interested in a stock. Short term profits or not, modern companies on the S&P 500 are going to keep doing them until a better way of doing business is found.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So you agree with Fernando Lamas: It is better to look good than to feel good.

remember-fernando-lamas-snl-demotivational-posters-1294691278.jpg

Yes I do - The effort of dressing up to go to work reminds one that one is going to WORK or exhibit proper decorum at a social event.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I don't blame CEO's for stock by backs, I blame investors like myself. As soon as I hear of a company announcing stock by backs, I go in full throttle because I know I'll be making money during the life of the buy back. Stock buy backs are the absolute easiest way to get the Street interested in a stock. Short term profits or not, modern companies on the S&P 500 are going to keep doing them until a better way of doing business is found.

Or until executives are forced to hold stock for 5-7 years before being able to exercise options or RSU's, Then the next quarter is meaningless except as a metric.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Keep trying. You're probably bright and observant enough to figure it out.

More and more I think 4 years in the Military or a civillian service corps would be most beneficial and this would be immediately after high school. College AFTER service and for those with a interest in becoming a officer it would be valuable experience starting as a E-1 and learning what it's like being Private Nobody,

Kids would learn they are NOT special snowflakes and that reality frequently sucks.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
More and more I think 4 years in the Military or a civillian service corps would be most beneficial and this would be immediately after high school. College AFTER service and for those with a interest in becoming a officer it would be valuable experience starting as a E-1 and learning what it's like being Private Nobody,

Kids would learn they are NOT special snowflakes and that reality frequently sucks.
I greatly admire your ability to know what's best for so many other people that you have never met.

But I am sorry that your reality sucks so much. Mine does not.

Tigger1988

I can't imagine you being a real person, interacting with real people with the horrific point of view you spew on here. You are a literal Eeyore.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member

Having spent 22 years in the military, I can understand where you are coming from, but kids nowadays would not survive in the military way of doing things. Having seen that in most places around here, they do just barely enough to get by and keep their jobs, having to actually work for a living would kill them.

Oh, and I pretty much dress in t-shirt and house shorts for work, as I work full time out of my home office. That 40 foot commute is a pain, though. :cool:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As have I - I do a LOT of work in Silicon Valley so I understand that half the folks I work with dont even OWN a sport coat., But casual to too many people means flip flops, belly shirts unisex unfortunately and half moons peering out of shorts (top bottom or both), Not to mention the screaming out of control kids.
There is a huge area between requiring men to wear jackets and the other extreme you describe. IMHO what you are describing isn't appropriate for a Taco Bell let alone a nice restaurant. I don't think you need to require a formal dress code to keep the place classy. If dressing up floats your boat there are other options. I'd go off WDW property.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom