A Spirited Perfect Ten

VJ

All I know is Iger is not what Disney needs. Disney needs someone with the creative and financial skills to be able to balance the company out; not too money-hungry but not too spend-happy. That balance was reached with Eisner and Wells, whose partnership could be paralleled to Walt and Roy in many respects. Iger's solely for the money; he doesn't care about innovation or being on the cutting edge as long as it brings in more money. I dunno, I'm just not sure I like the direction the company is heading in.

the.dreamfinder

Interesting tweet today. Gary Goddard commissioned Ralph McQuarrie to create concept art for a James Bond stunt show at UNI Hollywood in the mid/late 80's.
http://www.thegoddardgroup.com/blog/index.php/ralph-macquarrie-and-james-bond/
007McQuarrie_Logo_web1.gif

WDW1974

Original Poster
So looking over the Boathouse's menu and what I find absurd isn't the price of a steak large enough for two.

Nope, it's the $21 price for a side of asparagus. Look, at that price it better fill my oral needs in two distinctly different ways!!!

Expo_Seeker40

So looking over the Boathouse's menu and what I find absurd isn't the price of a steak large enough for two.

Nope, it's the $21 price for a side of asparagus. Look, at that price it better fill my oral needs in two distinctly different ways!!!

It'll make your mouth hot and your butt full of regret. A typical day for an intern working near Flower Street.

BrianLo

What made them change their MO, and 180 into one of their most aggressive periods of Disney expansion in their history? Are they having MK like issues with too many guests? Are they threatened? Did they decide there was more money to be made?

Absolutely, they were completely heading down the same pathway that WDW erroneously operates in, where they see Florida as a zero growth "mature" market. They actually addressed this quite clearly in their 2014 annual report that they, for a time, had no plans to grow the parks:

The direction of our core business is to effectively use Maihama land, OLC’s greatest asset in order to maximize theme park value. People may think this unsurprising and exceedingly natural in light of our business, but based on our expectations at the start of the 2013 Medium-Term Plan (fiscal year ended March 31, 2012), that was not our conclusion. At that time, we expected theme park attendance of around 27 to 28 million in one decade. Regarding the issue of how to grow amid Japan’s declining birth rate and an aging population, we assumed that we could also grow through new business that brings in non-theme park Guests, so we considered that.

However, the outcome of the Tokyo Disney Resort 30th Anniversary events was that we reached 31.3 million Guests. That convinced us that our theme parks still had much scope for growth. With the aim of maximizing theme park value, we will invest ¥500 billion over a 10-year period in the theme park

OLC very much had the wrong approach in the early 2010's, and it's nice that they were forthcoming about that. That's why TDL seems 'stagnant' in the last few years, because they truly were just in a holding pattern of keeping attractions maintained and swapping out seasonal offerings.

The 2014 annual report is an absolutely fantastic read by the way, it has enough graphs to make @ParentsOf4 blush, and there are some serious gems in there such as attraction costs for many major E/D-tickets in the last 20 or so years. I'm very much anticipating the 2015 one this month.

I also don't see stagnation there. They constantly introduce new and seasonal entertainment that you'd never see stateside.

TDR has very much been about as stagnant as WDW over the last number of years. It's just harder to recognize. They have the distinct advantage that they take better care of their parks, they have better policies, they refresh seasonal entertainment and they were starting at a much higher benchmark than WDW... but the last decade has been very, very "WDW-like".

Besides, it's not really my opinion they were stagnant, they admit as much that it was their medium term plan to reduce spending and expansion. Obviously that was the wrong direction to take their parks.

I'm glad that festering thought process has been purged from the halls of OLC once again.

ParentsOf4

How about that $21 for a side of asparagus that not even a steakhouse on the upper east side would charge for?!
You couldn't get me to eat asparagus if you paid me $21.

But those $21 Roasted Wild Mushrooms would be awesome with a great steak. :hungry:

WDW1974

Original Poster
So, the latest in our self-obsessed me culture ''The Selfie Stick'' seems to becoming an issue of safety in the theme parks. Who would have guessed it? No, you really aren't all that attractive so, I'd rather see an MK construction wall without your Ar$e in it..

Someone sticks one of those anywhere near me and they are going to going to get it removed from their intestines.

WDW1974

Original Poster
You couldn't get me to eat asparagus if you paid me $21.

But those $21 Roasted Wild Mushrooms would be awesome with a great steak. :hungry:

Yes, I am sure. But I've never paid $21 for 'shrooms before and never will. I spent $2.99 for some very tasty ones at the Outback last week. ... Oh, and you can upgrade a normal side to asparagus (something I do like) for a whole dollar more.

WDW1974

Original Poster
At this point, just getting a foot in the door in China is worth the risk. It's certainly a gamble but Iger would be foolish not walk in while the door is open.

It all depends on HOW you enter the nation. I'd argue that a theme park resort in Shanghai (with a relatively small catchment zone, albeit with huge amounts of potential visitors) isn't the smartest way for a media and entertainment company.

WDW1974

Original Poster
When discussing Walt Disney most information about him comes from various public relations departments used by the company over the years. I often see quotes here that are attributed to Walt Disney that in fact are things that he never said. I see stories about how Walt Disney created Mickey Mouse that are pure fiction.

Walt Disney was a tough as nails businessman much in the same vein as Eisner and Iger. Except that Iger has never been as cutthroat in his business practices as Walt Disney and Eisner.

Generally, I base my information/opinions of Walt on biographies by respected authors, interviews he gave in his life that aren't taken out of context (when he watched Diane and Sharon on the carousel he wasn't dreaming up DVC, despite what the sales materials try and imply!) as well as people I have met who knew and worked for the man. I NEVER base anything on what Disney PR puts out.

As to your other point, such as it is, I have no desire to engage it. Feel free to post on why Bob Iger is a better man and more important to Disney than Walt ever was if that floats your boat.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Timeshares didn't exist in the USA when Walt was still around, however, I think he would have loved the concept. His EPCOT idea was very much like a timeshare including depriving the residents of voting rights and no land ownership. Of course, Walt's idea for EPCOT was much more dystopian in that residents would work for the various onsite companies and have their rent deducted from their pay. So I'm reasonably sure that Walt would be very proud of the DVC.

You are a hoot, Phil. I'll give you that. Haven't laughed so much since a pair of guys with the initials JT manned these boards.

Nubs70

I am not arguing the merits of the 32 oz slab of beef. I agree with you on that.

I am talking about pricing in general. Like that $44sirloin at Le Cellier or, indeed, any/all of the food and beverages WDW serve. There is a very large to huge profit on most of their menus.

Universal isn't losing money when they serve a filet at Mythos for under $20, while Disney is well over double that price. UNI isn't losing money on a cup of great soup they'll add on for $2.99 while Disney will charge double that.

Oh, and I know all about how there is very little profit in $1 or $1.29 burgers. A friend of mine writes for QSR.
Would you be referring to the squash soup? Holy crap that stuff is good.

RSoxNo1

Depends. Whats the view like? I prefer to cook over scenic vistas, overlooks and oceanfront property :D
Well, aside from the lovely view of weeds in my back yard, we regularly get deer and other wildlife. I've often referred to our backyard as the home for Pocahontas and her Forest Friends.

RSoxNo1

The 2014 annual report is an absolutely fantastic read by the way, it has enough graphs to make @ParentsOf4 blush, and there are some serious gems in there such as attraction costs for many major E/D-tickets in the last 20 or so years. I'm very much anticipating the 2015 one this month.
I'm looking at the 2014 annual report and I don't see the attraction costs you speak of. Here's the 2014 annual report I'm looking at.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom