A Spirited Perfect Ten

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
About 75-90 minutes depending on traffic conditions. I'd highly advise a stay at Vero the night before cruising.
Angie and I did it in November and it is just a smart relaxing way to ease into a cruise.

And I did - booked the night before our cruise. It's a lovely resort and I plan on visiting again when I have time (and points) for a longer stay.

Told my daughter and her fiancé they should stay at VB the night before their honeymoon cruise, rather than getting up early and driving down to the Port.

Thanks again for your advice. I never would have thought of staying at VB. :)

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Now that we have that Brony discussion out of our system, let's turn to the ever relevant issue of Disney in China. Earlier this evening, The New Yorker published a thorough profile on Chinese President Xi Xinping. While the piece doesn't touch directly on Shanghai Disneyland, it does offer valuable insight into Xi's worldview and what he wants to accomplish with his cultural policies; a key attribute of which is to curtail the influence of foreign media. A very worthwhile read.
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/04/06/born-red

Great read, thanks for posting it. Anyone that didn't believe @WDW1974 in regards to Chinese resistance to western culture, and the role that plays in Disney's China affairs should read! It also offers a great synopsis of what the Chinese political landscape is currently like. Most Chinese Americans who have lived in China will likely tell a similar story about propaganda, control and flat out hypocritical politicians (sending your daughter to American schools!).

Goofyernmost

I planted tomatoes and peppers today. That involved putting deer netting over them.
I haven't done any gardening for years, but, back when I did, I used to use dried blood. Just dumped it in a circle around the plants and it kept away deer, rabbits and other fuzzy forest creatures. I think they still sell it in the fertilizer/garden section of most stores.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Great read, thanks for posting it. Anyone that didn't believe @WDW1974 in regards to Chinese resistance to western culture, and the role that plays in Disney's China affairs should read! It also offers a great synopsis of what the Chinese political landscape is currently like. Most Chinese Americans who have lived in China will likely tell a similar story about propaganda, control and flat out hypocritical politicians (sending your daughter to American schools!).

I'm just waiting for the Central Committee to realize that the next demand from the citizens may be civil rights to go along with the wealth they've amassed. That will be the end of the capitalistic economic experiment in a totalitarian state. And the end to our borrowing money.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I haven't done any gardening for years, but, back when I did, I used to use dried blood. Just dumped it in a circle around the plants and it kept away deer, rabbits and other fuzzy forest creatures. I think they still sell it in the fertilizer/garden section of most stores.

You can also buy either bear or wolf urine. Nothing like the scent of a large predator to frighten them away. And the smell will be lovely in the hot Florida summer...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So looking over the Boathouse's menu and what I find absurd isn't the price of a steak large enough for two.

Nope, it's the $21 price for a side of asparagus. Look, at that price it better fill my oral needs in two distinctly different ways!!!
That seems to be about twice what it should be. $8 to $12 for a family size side is about the run rate. It must be some special asparagus...maybe it's genetically engineered to not make your urine smell funny;)

You couldn't get me to eat asparagus if you paid me $21.

But those $21 Roasted Wild Mushrooms would be awesome with a great steak. :hungry:
I bought some mushrooms in college once for about $21. I don't remember any steak though:hungover:

PhotoDave219

I'll keep that in mind. I generally do container gardening in a 5 gallon bucket. Tomato cage to support the netting, zip tie it on.

I see so many deer around here, more than I did 10 years ago - and that was ridiculous then. Not as bad as around your end of 15 but still a lot of them.

LAKid53

Premium Member
That seems to be about twice what it should be. $8 to $12 for a family size side is about the run rate. It must be some special asparagus...maybe it's genetically engineered to not make your urine smell funny;)

I bought some mushrooms in college once for about $21. I don't remember any steak though:hungover:

Ah, yes, those mushrooms. ;)

Phil12

It all depends on HOW you enter the nation. I'd argue that a theme park resort in Shanghai (with a relatively small catchment zone, albeit with huge amounts of potential visitors) isn't the smartest way for a media and entertainment company.
I'll agree with you that the HOW you enter the nation is very important. However, I will point out that a Disney theme park is a wonderful way to enter China. But allow me to share with you Joseph Mathew's well researched investigation on this matter:

Go For Launch: Disney's Recipe For Successfully Piercing The Media Veil In China - Joseph Mathew
http://www.slideshare.net/codycostarica/disney-china-media-memo-joseph-Mathew

I think there is little doubt that TWDC is on the right track.

Phil12

The extra cost is most likely due to the overhead expenses associated with the use of bear and wolf urine to preclude predation.

Cesar R M

Spirited Rip UNI Musing:

If Disco Yeti is so bad, and he is, then what do you call blowing your money scene on Gringotts by having a giant hole in the wall visible when your finale effect fails most of the time? Where's the angst and indignation?
hee? because gringotts its new and the Yeti as been down for.. how many years again? 10?

Cesar R M

I once spent $1750 including tip for a majestic dining experience at Alinea in Chicago, and that was getting the "cheap" wine pairings. I did have Chef Grant Achatz personally make my desert in front of me on my table.
speaking of Achatz, impressive that he recovered from Cancer.
Kinda ironic (and terrifying) that a great chef would get tongue cancer.
That would have ended his career not because of cancer, but for losing his taste feel.

Cesar R M

So looking over the Boathouse's menu and what I find absurd isn't the price of a steak large enough for two.

Nope, it's the $21 price for a side of asparagus. Look, at that price it better fill my oral needs in two distinctly different ways!!!
its magical asparagus!
perhaps it will also dance to the magic words "ASPARAGUS!".

zweltar

How about that $21 for a side of asparagus that not even a steakhouse on the upper east side would charge for?!

That was the exact same thing that caught my attention. The other prices seem pretty much in line with high end steak houses. But that asparagus!!! Goodness!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom