A Spirited Perfect Ten

doctornick

True, but it's a Marvel character. Most people (maybe I'm wrong) won't really give that it's 20th doing it vs Marvel Studios much thought?

I think the general public is very aware of MCU versus non-MCU. Obviously, not everyone, but I've talked to casual movie goers who tend to put films into a bucket of "in the Avengers universe" or "other".

FigmentJedi

They've done live action Winnie the Pooh before

Remember when they taught kids about Stranger Danger and how to avoid pedophiles?

Aw that was a great show. I can see the live action movie being very different.

Set in the real world, Christopher Robin is an American teenager in Harlem, bullied in school and his only friend is his toy bear. One day, the bear comes to life, and together with Piglet, Eeyore and a snarky wise-cracking Tigger, a hilarious Smurfts/Chipmunks-type CGI/live-action hybrid adventure around the streets of New York ensues, with more fart jokes than you can shake a pooh-stick at. With music by Will.i.am and Katy Perry.

A while back on a Cartoon Brew talkback for the 2011 film, there was a guy who was at DIsney Animation in the 90s that had to deal with a pitch from Katzenberg like this:

"True Story: Early in Jeffrey K’s tenure at Disney, he wanted to make a Winnie the Pooh feature where all the characters were left in the back of Christopher Robin’s Mom’s station wagon. It got stolen, and Pooh and company ended up in an inner city ghetto, where they befriended two black kids named- -wait for it–”Flip” and “Rinkydink”. When the sheer awfulness of this idea was pointed out by one brave animator during a meeting, JK looked at him like he had lobsters crawling out of his ears. Fortunately, for us (and for you) this nightmare scenario never materialized."

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
If that's all you gather from this site, then you haven't looked hard enough.

Praise is earned. There are a few recent projects (new Harambe comes to mind) that have garnered praise, and deservedly so. However, a majority of the recent projects and developments within the company have been less deserving.
But the praise that y'all give out is only your opinion on whether YOU think it deserves praise. The new hub is a perfect example. Many of us here think it looks great, and it isn't even close to being done, and that Disney deserves praise for doing it first-class. Others say it looks like a concrete wasteland, and looks bad. And the people that say it looks bad are those that keep posting pictures from 1991 with all of the trees and no Partners Statue. Well, those days are GONE and NEVER coming back.

One item that no one seems to mention are the beautiful fountains. I remember people complaining that the fountains were all being turned off. Funny now that there are new fountains, no one is praising them for that. I wonder why not? They look awesome. So where is the praise for bringing something back that people say was disappearing?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I am quite aware of my surroundings comes from earlier training in 'Situational Awareness' and there seem to be less of you guys than in years past. But there are more undercover security guys than in the past as well, If they really want not to be noticed they need to lose the secret service style earpiece, Harris sells iPhone style earpieces as well.
Well, we were there just 2 weeks ago, and we saw lots of custodial personnel out and about everywhere. I really can't say that there were less than before.

I am happy that there are a lot of undercover security people (I notice some of them as well) considering the nut balls that populate the parks nowadays.

Mr. Peabody

I'm pretty sure they just saw BOX OFFICE, I'm equally convinced that this will bomb, The 2011 Pooh movie was too long and convoluted if they had condensed it to 45 minutes or so it would have been a success.
For the audience yes it was, For the under 8 set anything much more than 1/2 hour is a stretch.
I'll have to disagree with you there. The kiddies love movies that are longer than Winnie the Pooh is. Besides, the movie wasn't strictly a children's movie. WDAS set out to make a family Pooh movie like the original featurettes were after DisneyToon had spent the better part of the '90s/'00s turning the franchise into something exclusively for preschoolers. The company effectively undermined WDAS' efforts to reclaim the franchise for family audiences with its choice of release date and relatively lackluster marketing compared to their other recent animated films.

BrerJon

I saw that this morning and threw up in my mouth a bit! Beyond ridiculous! $50 bucks is the most I would pay for something like this and that's a huge stretch! I'm sure if u asked someone interested in a boat tour like this. "Would u like an additional park ticket or a 20 min boat ride for $100, they would choose an extra park day ticket. I honestly can't see anyone doing this. I really can't wait to see how many car boats are actually on the water when I go next month!

You know how every package tour includes a coupon for 10% off Planet Hollywood, my guess is the amphicars will be the same and give everyone 10% off coupons which will make enough people think they are getting a good deal to fill them up.

doctornick

I think the general public doesn't know the difference between Marvel and DC.

I agree. But I think people are aware of which films are in the Avengers universe and which are not. Even if they don't know much (or anything) about the source material. The movies are heavily into cameos with the post-credit scenes to connect the films and the media coverage often lists the films together ("largest MCU opening since x" kinda stuff) so there's an association. Just IMHO in talking to casual fans.

Admittedly, when Spider-Man comes on board, its going to create confusion as to whether the old SM films are part of the MCU among the general public.

FigmentJedi

I'll have to disagree with you there. The kiddies love movies that are longer than Winnie the Pooh is. Besides, the movie wasn't strictly a children's movie. WDAS set out to make a family Pooh movie like the original featurettes were after DisneyToon had spent the better part of the '90s/'00s turning the franchise into something exclusively for preschoolers. The company effectively undermined WDAS' efforts to reclaim the franchise for family audiences with its choice of release date and relatively lackluster marketing compared to their other recent animated films.
Agreed. The 2011 Pooh movie is probably the funniest Disney Feature animated movie made in the last decade.

the.dreamfinder

If you want to sum up what is wrong with Disney, after God only knows how many bs discussions on the thread this week, it's this. Disney used to be a company where quality storytelling, of which WDAS and Pixar have been putting out quite regularly, was embraced by rallying the company's efforts around it. Bob Iger's Disney is so broken, they can't even get synergy right; even though every single outsider thinks Disney is so great at it. The tail is wagging the dog and the emperor is too delusional to care.

Last edited:

FigmentJedi

I know that the DTV department messed stuff up with Pooh as they kept going onward, but TIgger Movie was pretty good and actually got pretty emotionally intense for a Pooh movie.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I really can't wait to see how many car boats are actually on the water when I go next month!

You'll see most of them on the water. Some will have passengers, others will be driving around enticing passengers.

My guess is that at that price, they won't be all that popular and the whole thing will be scrapped.

Extraordinarily unlikely. If they prove unpopular, then they will lower the price point, or offer coupons with Dinner. No chance they get scrapped.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom