A Spirited Perfect Ten

Mr. Peabody

If it was the last 2D Disney film, it was a much better way to go out than Home on the Range.
Ugh, don't remind me...I'm still bitter that Disney is just dismissing an entire medium after barely giving it a chance. As Brad Bird says, animation is not a genre. Likewise, hand-drawn and CGI are not distinct genres. Disney, of all studios, should be supporting both.
Eric Goldberg's animation of Rabbit is incredible.
Ditto on that. All of the character animation has a ton of personality. I also thought Owl was a particularly inspired fusion of character animation (Dale Baer) and voice acting (Craig Ferguson). The "Owl has a cold" sequence is a good example of this.

Last edited:

Funmeister

Seeing that turning animated features into live actions movies has become a trend, I would not mind seeing Atlantis get the live action treatment. Of course it would have to be on the larger budget end and done right. I think it would make for real nice on screen eye candy. The Black Cauldron could be another one that could translate well. But no Home on the Range or do we really need another Pinocchio & Peter Pan?

Cesar R M

I thought the same thing about GotG. When I saw the very early promos (mostly posters and such) my first thought was "really? A fricken raccoon?" But it really surprised me. It pushed the boundaries into an area that I didn't feel comfortable showing my young children, which I think Marvel needed. I'm really excited for the Deadpool movie as it will be pushed farther down that road.
the GOTG comics are indeed a riot.
highly recommended to read (the V2 and the new V3 too)

Cesar R M

Minor point, but note that Deadpool will be a 20th Century Fox film, not Marvel Studios. It'll be in the X-Men continuity.
I hope noone from the awful movie of The Wolverine touched Deadpool.
the deadpool in that garbage movie, was so ridicoulous it was facepalming inducing.
they really ruined a lot of the mutants powers as well.

That would be me.
I love interconnected stories and large universes, be it films, TV or books. Stories that can take years to tell.
What Marvel is doing is perfect for me.
I Do as well, but I sure as hell hate when they force you to purchase comics that are not of the same series. (example, if you want to follow one line of guardians of the galaxy, you had to buy a few interconnected issues of the x-men )

I stopped buying DC comics because they do it in insane ways (their entire green lantern series is a unwatchable tangled mess that includes green lantern corps, green lantern, new guardians, red lanterns and some oneshots)

Animaniac93-98

The Black Cauldron could be another one that could translate well.

To me, The Black Cauldron has the most potential. Mainly because the Prydain books have never been done justice on film (or really at all, besides the Disney cartoon).

Knowing the subject matter, a remake would give Disney;

a) A pre-existing sword & sorcery story (no need for revision like Alice in Wonderland)
b) Enough material to support at least two sequels (there's 5 books in total)
c) Another princess to market (with magic powers too!)
d) Something that could easily be improved, without causing people to cry out that they "ruined their childhood!"

I'd settle for a TV show too, but neither are likely to happen.

Cesar R M

The sheer volume of these projects that Disney currently producing signals a distressing creative bankruptcy. And, of all animated properties to take into live-action, why Winnie the Pooh? The Many Adventures featurettes and their animated renditions of the characters are some of the most iconic and recognizable pieces of animation ever produced. For a company as focused on branding as Disney is, it seems counterintuitive to ditch the distinctive style of the original featurettes by making it live-action.

After watching the video that @PhotoDave219 posted, I have to wonder if Disney executives saw the box office receipts for Paddington (a fantastic movie, by the way) and decided to imitate it. I wouldn't put it past them to partially blame the poor performance of the 2011 Pooh movie on its hand drawn look (and they would be mistaken if they did).
Honestly, I am imagining Pooh will be as bad as Yogi mixed with Ted than Paddington lol.

Funmeister

To me, The Black Cauldron has the most potential. Mainly because the Prydain books have never been done justice on film (or really at all, besides the Disney cartoon).

Knowing the subject matter, a remake would give Disney;

a) A pre-existing sword & sorcery story (no need for revision like Alice in Wonderland)
b) Enough material to support at least two sequels (there's 5 books in total)
c) Another princess to market (with magic powers too!)
d) Something that could easily be improved, without causing people to cry out that they "ruined their childhood!"

I'd settle for a TV show too, but neither are likely to happen.

I think that could be really cool. Another franchise they could develop if they wanted.

Cesar R M

As @ford91exploder, @Cesar R M and others said, PV sites exist to counter and refute the AV lunacy with facts, logic and reason. While the majority of those that visit are indeed PV'ers, I personally don't believe in letting lies and ignorance go unchecked. We organize around vaccination-related legislation, news reports related to vaccines and vaccine-related diseases (since the AV'ers swarm those(those) and troll AV sites and groups.

Besides, we do get several AV'ers that feebly attempt to debate us and a few confused parents looking for answers, so if we can keep just one family from "turning to the dark side," then it's worth it.
Can you imagine how awful would be the internet with no fact checking sites like ultrafacts, snopes..etc.. ?

Internet would be rolling on lies 24/7 as bad as foxnews during election day.

Mmmm. Female Thor is preeeeetty sweet. Since you've made it clear you don't read the comics, let me enlighten you a bit on Marvel's Thor. Essentially, Thor is not only a person, but also a title. It's all about who wields Mjolnir.

The hammer reads: "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."

A few other people have been "Thor" in the comics, so this isn't exactly new. (BETA RAY BILL FOR LIFE!)
Recently, Thor lost his arm during a battle, and a mysterious, bad-*** woman picks up Mjolnir and rocks it. Female Thor rocks, plain and simple. And technically this isn't even the first female Thor. See: Thordis.
I have a soft spot for Beta Ray.
Specially in the way he teaches the new young NOVA.

Cesar R M

Cesar R M

I agree. But I think people are aware of which films are in the Avengers universe and which are not. Even if they don't know much (or anything) about the source material. The movies are heavily into cameos with the post-credit scenes to connect the films and the media coverage often lists the films together ("largest MCU opening since x" kinda stuff) so there's an association. Just IMHO in talking to casual fans.

Admittedly, when Spider-Man comes on board, its going to create confusion as to whether the old SM films are part of the MCU among the general public.
Well, they have 2 universes to think.

the old Spiderman and the AMAZING spiderman ones.

Then we have the rumored new live action spiderman series, which supposedly will feature both Amazing and Ultimate Spiderman (miles morales)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom