A Spirited Perfect Ten

CaptainAmerica

Im all for more creative and original ideas. But this dude is a tad over dramatic. Live Action fairytales will run their course, same with superheroes.
Same with superheroes? Superman came out in 1978 so it's not exactly a new phenomenon. Superheroes are here to stay, the only difference now is that many of them exist in a shared universe. This actually ensures that the genre stays fresh instead of just rebooting Batman, Superman, and Spider Man with a retelling of their origin story every ten years.

ParentsOf4

Many of you are on this site posting nearly everyday but what you say sometimes makes me wonder why some of you are even here. The negativity in here is a bit overwhelming. It's like disney can do nothing right. What gives?
It's a lot like sports fans.

Only half the teams have winning records and only one team wins the championship, which leaves fans of most sports teams with lots to complain about. Yet they remain loyal year-after-year, hoping "this is the year".

Right now in Orlando, Universal is the winning team. :)

We're still going to cheer for WDW but until Disney gets its act together in Orlando, we have plenty to complain about. :D

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

Same with superheroes? Superman came out in 1978 so it's not exactly a new phenomenon. Superheroes are here to stay, the only difference now is that many of them exist in a shared universe. This actually ensures that the genre stays fresh instead of just rebooting Batman, Superman, and Spider Man with a retelling of their origin story every ten years.
When we were getting a superhero movie every other summer or so, I was on board. 3-4 superhero movies a year, the TV line up is chocked full of them, and the full on marketing campaigns have sort of super saturated the market. I'm kinda over superheros right now.

CaptainAmerica

When we were getting a superhero movie every other summer or so, I was on board. 3-4 superhero movies a year, the TV line up is chocked full of them, and the full on marketing campaigns have sort of super saturated the market. I'm kinda over superheros right now.
I don't get it. If you only have an appetite for one superhero movie every other year, why not just pick one every other year to see? Does the mere presence of Comic Book content on television somehow make you sick of them, even if those aren't programs you watch? I personally only follow the MCU because I don't like the grim tone that the DCCU is going with and I think the X films are just terrible. But the DCCU, DC Television, and X-Men films don't have any aggregate effect on my enjoyment of the MCU. Who cares if there's a large number in total? Watch the ones that interest you and ignore the rest.

Disneyhead'71

I don't get it. If you only have an appetite for one superhero movie every other year, why not just pick one every other year to see? Does the mere presence of Comic Book content on television somehow make you sick of them, even if those aren't programs you watch? I personally only follow the MCU because I don't like the grim tone that the DCCU is going with and I think the X films are just terrible. But the DCCU, DC Television, and X-Men films don't have any aggregate effect on my enjoyment of the MCU. Who cares if there's a large number in total? Watch the ones that interest you and ignore the rest.
That's what I have been doing. But with everything connected together, it is becoming tedious. I already felt a little lost in Avengers. Like there were huge bits of info I didn't have. (I didn't see Thor or Captain Am. ). Now with all the hype about Civil War, and it's cross-overs I am less than interested. The MCU will have me tune out.

gmajew

Man is it just me or are people
That's what I have been doing. But with everything connected together, it is becoming tedious. I already felt a little lost in Avengers. Like there were huge bits of info I didn't have. (I didn't see Thor or Captain Am. ). Now with all the hype about Civil War, and it's cross-overs I am less than interested. The MCU will have me tune out.

Captain America were great movies, the first one was as good as Iron Man 1. CA2 was a little to much action but was still a good movie.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I heard or read somewhere that there is a direct correlation between superhero popularity and the general feeling of security by the General populous. During times where the population feels secure, superheroes are not as popular. During times of general insecurity, they are very popular. With what's going on in the world right now I'm not surprised that there is a strong appetite for movies that show a distinct good vs evil message where the bad guy gets his/her due justice in the end.

gmajew

I heard or read somewhere that there is a direct correlation between superhero popularity and the general feeling of security by the General populous. During times where the population feels secure, superheroes are not as popular. During times of general insecurity, they are very popular. With what's going on in the world right now I'm not surprised that there is a strong appetite for movies that show a distinct good vs evil message where the bad guy gets his/her due justice in the end.

That is really interesting.... Never thought about it like that

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
If that's all you gather from this site, then you haven't looked hard enough.

Praise is earned. There are a few recent projects (new Harambe comes to mind) that have garnered praise, and deservedly so. However, a majority of the recent projects and developments within the company have been less deserving.

Yes exactly Harambe meets and exceeds the standards Disney set for THEMSELVES, The rest of the stuff not so much.

CaptainAmerica

Different strokes I guess, but I think most people LIKE the crossover format. It allows a two hour movie to have a two hour plot without wasting 45 minutes on exposition. I wouldn't be shocked if Age of Ultron and Civil War combine for $3B. If Marvel can keep their RT score above 75 or so, they'll be fine. But to your point, audience fatigue will definitely start to sink in if they release a stinker or two (looking at you Ant Man).

Disneyhead'71

Different strokes I guess, but I think most people LIKE the crossover format. It allows a two hour movie to have a two hour plot without wasting 45 minutes on exposition. I wouldn't be shocked if Age of Ultron and Civil War combine for $3B. If Marvel can keep their RT score above 75 or so, they'll be fine. But to your point, audience fatigue will definitely start to sink in if they release a stinker or two (looking at you Ant Man).
I believe that the people that like the crossover format REALLY like the crossover format. Those that don't will tune out of all of it.

Age of Ultron will do very well. Civil War will be popular with the hard core fan base but I don't really see it appealing all that much to the general population.

BrerJon

Oh, that'd be just brilliant... :facepalm:

Spend 2 trillion of our tax dollars to develop Patriot Bands, to always know where you are and how much money you are making.

Schools will still be using the same textbooks they used in the 1980's, and no new subjects will be introduced

The Air Force would scrap planes built in the 90's (after they were stored inproperly and allowed to decay), while bringing back aircraft built in the 1970's with no plans for anything else.

And most of the monuments in the District of Columbia will be bulldozed and replaced with wider pathways and fake grass.

And don't forget taxes rising at many, many times the rate of wages, to pay for all the nothings happening.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Ok kids.....

So others are noticing Disney's insane lack of originality with the movie studios.

I'm not sure if anyone else is a fan of CinemaSins, but Jeremy goes off on a rant that a lot of us would agree with.

(PS - Naughty language involved)

Edit: Actually.... .lets see if we can just have the link instead.

Edit2: Why is this automagically embedding!?!? Just click on the link above if you wanna hear the rant on Live Action Winnine the Pooh

Wow, But he's RIGHT there is no creativity in Hollyweird any longer It's just prequels, sequels and remakes. The chance of Star Wars or The Fifth Element being made today would be ZERO, Liked the comment on the Academy awards should be renamed the Cashie Awards.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It's hard to walk around the park and not see one of us in the white costumes tbh. If you think there's a lack of "Sweeper CMs", then you just aren't paying attention to your surroundings.

I am quite aware of my surroundings comes from earlier training in 'Situational Awareness' and there seem to be less of you guys than in years past. But there are more undercover security guys than in the past as well, If they really want not to be noticed they need to lose the secret service style earpiece, Harris sells iPhone style earpieces as well.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I thought the same thing about GotG. When I saw the very early promos (mostly posters and such) my first thought was "really? A fricken raccoon?" But it really surprised me. It pushed the boundaries into an area that I didn't feel comfortable showing my young children, which I think Marvel needed. I'm really excited for the Deadpool movie as it will be pushed farther down that road.

BrerJon

Many of you are on this site posting nearly everyday but what you say sometimes makes me wonder why some of you are even here. The negativity in here is a bit overwhelming. It's like disney can do nothing right. What gives?

As others have said, it's a sports team thing. For many of us Disney was our favourite team when growing up, and when people would say 'why would you want to go to that fake plastic cr*p' we'd say it was so much more than that, a vacation destination like no other, meticulously maintained with a level of creativity unlike anything else, and we'd passionately defend it.

But then Disney themselves stopped caring. Prices went through the roof, permanent giant hats and wands went up to kill theming, attractions (and a whole night district) closed and were replaced with inferior cheap copies, or worse nothing at all, and anything new doesn't demonstrate half the intelligence, creativity and imagination that WDI used to bring to projects in the 70s and 80s. We want our team to be winning again, instead of being a loser, so forums like this let those fans share their feelings and create a community.

Disneyland was in a rut around the turn of the century, a pale shadow of its self, but a couple of internet message boards held them to account, picked apart things that were going wrong and started a campaign to change the leadership. "Why do you post so much about Disneyland if you hate it so much?" was a common refrain.

And yet it worked. Pressler eventually left, things turned around, and now Disneyland is as good as it's ever been. The fan pressure was a definite influence on what happened in California, and a sign that sometimes it is worth not giving Disney a free pass, just because they did things well a couple of decades ago.

So why do we post every day if we hate Disney so much? Because Disney was so influential, so powerful in our lives, and we *want* it to be as amazing once more, there's always the hope that you'll tune in to see a Disneyland type transformation occurring.

If you have a kid that goes off the rails and becomes a drug addict, joins a gang, ends up in jail... do you abandon them, or do you still love them but hope they change their ways? We still love WDW, even if it's not living up to its potential right now.

It's also wrong to say we don't like anything Disney does - there are positive aspects - lots of people like Trader Sam's, the hat destruction got unanimous praise, Harambe's theming is excellent, Rivers of Light looks promising and the quick service food options, while getting more expensive, are undoubtedly getting better.

But when compared to what it used to be like in the 90s, when compared to what Universal is like now, it's hard not to see more negative than positive, especially when the underlying reasons for those negatives, and the assumptions and attitudes that caused them, don't seem to be going anywhere.

We still believe it's possible for our team to win the championship, which is why we can't just walk away, and we come back here every day hoping against hope that this time we'll see signs of that happening once more.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom