A Spirited Perfect Ten

dizneycrazy09

I thought the same thing about GotG. When I saw the very early promos (mostly posters and such) my first thought was "really? A fricken raccoon?" But it really surprised me. It pushed the boundaries into an area that I didn't feel comfortable showing my young children, which I think Marvel needed. I'm really excited for the Deadpool movie as it will be pushed farther down that road.

I believe that GotG proved that Marvel is willing to take chances and push boundaries. I remember that people were predicting it to be Marvel's first big miss, as well as saying it was simply too weird to hit with mainstream audiences. If nothing more, I think the crazy success of GotG, or any other surprise original hit for that matter, proves that audiences don't want more of the same old. Movie studios need to have more faith in the masses sometimes, in terms of thinking they know what the audience wants.

Goofyernmost

It's hard to walk around the park and not see one of us in the white costumes tbh. If you think there's a lack of "Sweeper CMs", then you just aren't paying attention to your surroundings.
You're probably correct. I only know what I see, and I see some significant change. Others may dispute that and that is their right to do so. For me I know what I saw and that is what I base my opinions on, not what others think I should have seen.

BrerJon

I don't get it. If you only have an appetite for one superhero movie every other year, why not just pick one every other year to see? Does the mere presence of Comic Book content on television somehow make you sick of them, even if those aren't programs you watch? I personally only follow the MCU because I don't like the grim tone that the DCCU is going with and I think the X films are just terrible. But the DCCU, DC Television, and X-Men films don't have any aggregate effect on my enjoyment of the MCU. Who cares if there's a large number in total? Watch the ones that interest you and ignore the rest.

I don't agree with Cap on much when it comes to WDW, but on Marvel we're on the same page - for me the main attraction is that there is so much of it, all interlinked. I love the connections between Thor, Agents of SHIELD, Avengers... I like being rewarded for paying attention, and think as long as the quality remains high, it's great to have an abundance of comic-book TV and movies all feeding off each other, but letting the audience pick and choose how much of it they consume.

bhg469

Many of you are on this site posting nearly everyday but what you say sometimes makes me wonder why some of you are even here. The negativity in here is a bit overwhelming. It's like disney can do nothing right. What gives?
I've been posting here on and off for over 10 years. If you look back, my attitude was 180 degrees from where it is today. When I joined I was still very happy with the product disney was putting out, even though it seemed to be the beginning of the decline for me. Despite the losses I still hey going and since then prices go up but everything stays the same. The balance of entertainment for crowds of multiple ages is thrown completely out. Last year I visited universal for the first time since the mid to late 90s and I saw that they were trying in a way that Disney had forgotten.

I would love for disney to get back on their game because if they put in the level of effort that universal does we would have 4 parks that are worth 100 a day.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I thought the same thing about GotG. When I saw the very early promos (mostly posters and such) my first thought was "really? A fricken raccoon?" But it really surprised me. It pushed the boundaries into an area that I didn't feel comfortable showing my young children, which I think Marvel needed. I'm really excited for the Deadpool movie as it will be pushed farther down that road.

Thought the same thing a Racoon and a girl with green skin, But it turned out to be everything a summer movie should be fun and entertaining with some dark moment not suitable for small kids.

CaptainAmerica

Minor point, but note that Deadpool will be a 20th Century Fox film, not Marvel Studios. It'll be in the X-Men continuity.

BrerJon

I heard or read somewhere that there is a direct correlation between superhero popularity and the general feeling of security by the General populous. During times where the population feels secure, superheroes are not as popular. During times of general insecurity, they are very popular. With what's going on in the world right now I'm not surprised that there is a strong appetite for movies that show a distinct good vs evil message where the bad guy gets his/her due justice in the end.

Spider-Man came out around 9-11 - one of the trailers even had him spinning a web between the twin towers. So when it came out, a movie about a hero of New York stopping the bad guys was huge. The success of that movie (along with X-Men) led to what we have today, so there's definitely an argument that without that post 9-11 worry about security, we wouldn't have the movies we do.

Last edited:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Many of you are on this site posting nearly everyday but what you say sometimes makes me wonder why some of you are even here.
Almost daily there is someone who complains about the complainers and they ask "why". "Why are you even here", "why do you visit Disney is you hate it", why, why, why. The questions has been answered time and time again but it keeps getting asked.

I think the people who ask "why", actually know the answer. They are just afraid to possibly admit to themselves that not everything is as perfect as the company would have you believe. They NEED to believe everything is perfect. Perhaps to justify the money they will spend, perhaps to hold some other aspect of their life together that isnt perfect. Who knows, but I think they should start asking themselves "why". Why cant you recognize a declining product? Why do you accept everything the company tells you to? Most importantly, why does it bother you so much that other people do recognize the problems but it doesnt shatter their world?

Goofyernmost

Many of you are on this site posting nearly everyday but what you say sometimes makes me wonder why some of you are even here. The negativity in here is a bit overwhelming. It's like disney can do nothing right. What gives?
dt150403.gif

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
As others have said, it's a sports team thing. For many of us Disney was our favourite team when growing up, and when people would say 'why would you want to go to that fake plastic cr*p' we'd say it was so much more than that, a vacation destination like no other, meticulously maintained with a level of creativity unlike anything else, and we'd passionately defend it.

But then Disney themselves stopped caring. Prices went through the roof, permanent giant hats and wands went up to kill theming, attractions (and a whole night district) closed and were replaced with inferior cheap copies, or worse nothing at all, and anything new doesn't demonstrate half the intelligence, creativity and imagination that WDI used to bring to projects in the 70s and 80s. We want our team to be winning again, instead of being a loser, so forums like this let those fans share their feelings and create a community.

Disneyland was in a rut around the turn of the century, a pale shadow of its self, but a couple of internet message boards held them to account, picked apart things that were going wrong and started a campaign to change the leadership. "Why do you post so much about Disneyland if you hate it so much?" was a common refrain.

And yet it worked. Pressler eventually left, things turned around, and now Disneyland is as good as it's ever been. The fan pressure was a definite influence on what happened in California, and a sign that sometimes it is worth not giving Disney a free pass, just because they did things well a couple of decades ago.

So why do we post every day if we hate Disney so much? Because Disney was so influential, so powerful in our lives, and we *want* it to be as amazing once more, there's always the hope that you'll tune in to see a Disneyland type transformation occurring.

If you have a kid that goes off the rails and becomes a drug addict, joins a gang, ends up in jail... do you abandon them, or do you still love them but hope they change their ways? We still love WDW, even if it's not living up to its potential right now.

It's also wrong to say we don't like anything Disney does - there are positive aspects - lots of people like Trader Sam's, the hat destruction got unanimous praise, Rivers of Light looks promising and the quick service food options, while getting more expensive, are undoubtedly getting better.

But when compared to what it used to be like in the 90s, when compared to what Universal is like now, it's hard not to see more negative than positive, especially when the underlying reasons for those negatives, and the assumptions and attitudes that caused them, don't seem to be going anywhere.

We still believe it's possible for our team to win the championship, which is why we can't just walk away, and we come back here every day hoping against hope that this time we'll see signs of that happening once more.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

It's why some of us call ourselves 'reformed' Pixie Dusters, WDW was once great and it could be again if they put forth the effort.

Goofyernmost

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

It's why some of us call ourselves 'reformed' Pixie Dusters, WDW was once great and it could be again if they put forth the effort.
That is where the disagreement comes in. It still is great just not as great as we all remember it. However, that only applies to those of us with a WDW history and some of it is also based on memories, distorted or clear, of what things were like back then. Those having their introduction to the land of the Mouse more recently are not incumbered by those thoughts and to them it is a great place and not a comparison of the past. If they didn't think that, the parks would not be full.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Almost daily there is someone who complains about the complainers and they ask "why". "Why are you even here", "why do you visit Disney is you hate it", why, why, why. The questions has been answered time and time again but it keeps getting asked.

I think the people who ask "why", actually know the answer. They are just afraid to possibly admit to themselves that not everything is as perfect as the company would have you believe. They NEED to believe everything is perfect. Perhaps to justify the money they will spend, perhaps to hold some other aspect of their life together that isnt perfect. Who knows, but I think they should start asking themselves "why". Why cant you recognize a declining product? Why do you accept everything the company tells you to? Most importantly, why does it bother you so much that other people do recognize the problems but it doesnt shatter their world?

I think @asianway said it best for some Disney IS their religion, In some ways they have built their entire lives around it. For me at least Disney has always been a opportunity to check out from reality for a while and indulge the inner child.

It's one reason why I don't like MM+ it forces you to carry the smartphone that at one time spent the entire duration of a WDW trip locked in the room safe now that 'I'm on vacation phone is OFF feeling is gone' and for those of us who put out fires of the figurative nature in the business world that feeling is worth a LOT possibly more than the cost of the Disney vacation because a lot of my fellow 'firefighters' are also Disney fans for the same reason.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That is where the disagreement comes in. It still is great just not as great as we all remember it. However, that only applies to those of us with a WDW history and some of it is also based on memories, distorted or clear, of what things were like back then. Those having their introduction to the land of the Mouse more recently are not incumbered by those thoughts and to them it is a great place and not a comparison of the past. If they didn't think that, the parks would not be full.

Exactly correct.

BrerJon

Disney isn't your child. Seeing them in that light says more about you than it does about them.

It's called an analogy.

Perhaps I phrased it the wrong way round - think of it as a parent, not a child. Someone who was influential on you when young, and now has let themselves go to an embarrassing level. You still love your parent, but you wish they'd get back on track.

jakeman

It's called an analogy.

Perhaps I phrased it the wrong way round - think of it as a parent, not a child. Someone who was influential on you when young, and now has let themselves go to an embarrassing level. You still love your parent, but you wish they'd get back on track.
You're not Disney's child.

The fact that you can even create an analogy on that level to describe your relationship with a corporation, again, says more about you than it does about Disney.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It's called an analogy.

Or a once revered mentor has gone off the rails and you want to see them back on track, For some of us a trip through the 'Disney Institute' was the foundation for later success, But years ago it was taught by those who lived it.

Now it's just powerpoint slideware taught by people who really don't understand at a basic level what it means it's just a job.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom