A Spirited Perfect Ten

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That is sad, because so much has been improving over the last few years. I joined this board while trying to figure out what had happened to WDW after a very bad visit a few years ago. and after catching up here, I dreaded going back. But then each subsequent visit I noticed improvements in service, cleanliness and ride quality. At this moment every park at WDW has construction/improvements in progress. Is it perfect, no. But it is vastly improved.
And when you take a look at what TWDC is doing overall. It is mostly good. Star Wars is starting to cook. Marvel is the leading comics publisher, Marvel Studios is producing consistent quality, ABC has dramatically improved their ratings despite not having NFL football, the cable channels are stable. Despite the hatred for Iger, for the most part the organization he has cultivated is successful and working. There is more right than wrong going on at the TWDC today.

As a hot stock DIS is firing on all cylinders, As to investing in key lines of business DIS has done little other than investing in what I suspect will be called 'Igers Folly' ie SDL. Parks and Resorts is investing at record lows where even Six Flags is investing more as a percentage of CAPEX.

Martiyoman

As a hot stock DIS is firing on all cylinders, As to investing in key lines of business DIS has done little other than investing in what I suspect will be called 'Igers Folly' ie SDL. Parks and Resorts is investing at record lows where even Six Flags is investing more as a percentage of CAPEX.
Lies. TWDC is, as rodan stated, investing in every single stateside park simultaneously right now. That's hardly "little more than [SDL]"

Donald Razorduck

How long is the dress? I dont wanna shave. Waitwhat?
She DOES own Dollywood
She is a CO-owner with Herschend, it's not all hers, she bought in. Herschend has successfully used that to rebrand and build a separate identity. She is not opposed to growth outside of the Smokies as just three years ago HFE/Dolly and Gaylord were talking a water/snow park in Nashville that might lead to a dry park as well. Gaylord abruptly changed hotel management and it faded away. Interestingly enough, an indoor waterpark for Opryland Hotel is being surveyed now. I've yet to see one good reason she'd be opposed considering the growth of HER park under Manby and how it would be much different than now.

Phil12

She is a CO-owner with Herschend, it's not all hers, she bought in. Herschend has successfully used that to rebrand and build a separate identity. She is not opposed to growth outside of the Smokies as just three years ago HFE/Dolly and Gaylord were talking a water/snow park in Nashville that might lead to a dry park as well. Gaylord abruptly changed hotel management and it faded away. Interestingly enough, an indoor waterpark for Opryland Hotel is being surveyed now. I've yet to see one good reason she'd be opposed considering the growth of HER park under Manby and how it would be much different than now.
She definitely knows how to grow things big!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Lies. TWDC is, as rodan stated, investing in every single stateside park simultaneously right now. That's hardly "little more than [SDL]"

TRUTH,

Disney is now investing 7.4% of P&R revenue in the parks INCLUDING SDL and Cruise Ships this is the lowest EVER in the history of the Disney company, Six Flags is investing 9.6% and UNI is investing 22.8% of revenue.

@ParentsOf4 has documented this in great detail.

So tell me again how things are 'improving' as to investments in the park, Disney has been pursuing a strategy of low cost high visibility projects to fool people into thinking they are doing more at WDW than they are in reality when you look at the actual numbers.

RSoxNo1

When it hits the front page of Variety, you should read into it. I recall a certain spirit saying he could be out by Easter, it looks like Rasulo's still on that trajectory. If he keeps unloading shares over the next couple weeks, then we know he's gone.
Perhaps it's a sign to sell when the CFO is selling $12 million in stock. We know he's going away, but still.

RSoxNo1

Sure things like Mars Needs Moms, John Carter and the "Lone Ranger" Those kind of sure things...
Those movies were questioned all throughout development. Tomorrowland is literally 6th on the list of projected earners for Disney this year. Their movie lineup this year is unprecedented. Having said that, I literally just got off the phone to sell my stock first thing Monday morning.

Martiyoman

TRUTH,

Disney is now investing 7.4% of P&R revenue in the parks INCLUDING SDL and Cruise Ships this is the lowest EVER in the history of the Disney company, Six Flags is investing 9.6% and UNI is investing 22.8% of revenue.

@ParentsOf4 has documented this in great detail.

So tell me again how things are 'improving' as to investments in the park, Disney has been pursuing a strategy of low cost high visibility projects to fool people into thinking they are doing more at WDW than they are in reality when you look at the actual numbers.
You said they're doing little more than investing in SDL. They're investing in every park in the US. Therefore, they are doing more than just SDL. That's logical progression for you.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure no one has said P&R investment is improving, or going up, and forgive me if I'm incorrect in my reasoning here, but universal has 5 parks worldwide, compared to 11 for disney and a 12th on the way. And considering disneys attendance was at roughly 132M last year, according to Forbes, compared to only 36M worldwide for Universal, it stands to reason revenue would also be roughly 4 times as much, and yet disney is only spending about one third of the percentage as universal. I don't know the numbers, but that looks to me as though disney is spending more cash than universal; hardly a cheap fix here and there as you intimated.

PhotoDave219

I look nothing like dolly parton. But i can cover Jolene if you'd like.

Cesar R M

That is sad, because so much has been improving over the last few years. I joined this board while trying to figure out what had happened to WDW after a very bad visit a few years ago. and after catching up here, I dreaded going back. But then each subsequent visit I noticed improvements in service, cleanliness and ride quality. At this moment every park at WDW has construction/improvements in progress. Is it perfect, no. But it is vastly improved.
And when you take a look at what TWDC is doing overall. It is mostly good. Star Wars is starting to cook. Marvel is the leading comics publisher, Marvel Studios is producing consistent quality, ABC has dramatically improved their ratings despite not having NFL football, the cable channels are stable. Despite the hatred for Iger, for the most part the organization he has cultivated is successful and working. There is more right than wrong going on at the TWDC today.
the good thing is, they at least are building now..
a LOT.

They are fixing a ton of stuff at magic kingdom that was due (space and walkability wise)
AKL as well (attraction wise)
DHS...... well, only plants.. and until I see Disney's "announcement of an announcement of the coming soon attraction", I will believe nothing.

that is of course.. better than sitting doing nothing..

Cesar R M

You said they're doing little more than investing in SDL. They're investing in every park in the US. Therefore, they are doing more than just SDL. That's logical progression for you.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure no one has said P&R investment is improving, or going up, and forgive me if I'm incorrect in my reasoning here, but universal has 5 parks worldwide, compared to 11 for disney and a 12th on the way. And considering disneys attendance was at roughly 132M last year, according to Forbes, compared to only 36M worldwide for Universal, it stands to reason revenue would also be roughly 4 times as much, and yet disney is only spending about one third of the percentage as universal. I don't know the numbers, but that looks to me as though disney is spending more cash than universal; hardly a cheap fix here and there as you intimated.
This is why you never take "raw numbers" only.
you take percentages on what money is at hand and what is expended.

Martiyoman

This is why you never take "raw numbers" only.
you take percentages on what money is at hand and what is expended.
I get that, but at the same time you're looking at disney producing something like the 3-4 biggest movies of the year? Not trying to be snarky, I honestly can't think of it, but what is universal putting out? It's not like all of that extra revenue is just going straight back into disneys pockets, it's going to their ridiculously large portfolio of assets and projects that perhaps they're looking at growing in order to create a base for the theme parks to build on (Star Wars, tomorrowland, the ever-growing line of Pixar films that could fit in nicely at Epcot). I get that most here think they already have a base and don't need to grow it, but that's what stockholder meetings are for, but again, it also sounds like most people here won't be able to attend those much longer either:). My point, universal is looking to strike at the Orlando theme park iron while it's hot, in a period of slow disney action, and disney isn't. I don't think that makes disney a bad company, or bad at managing theme parks.

ParentsOf4

Disney is now investing 7.4% of P&R revenue in the parks INCLUDING SDL and Cruise Ships.
To be clear, 7.4% was domestic P&R capex as a percentage of domestic P&R revenue for the most recent quarter.

This does not include international investments or revenue.

Disney spent 94.2% of international P&R revenue on international P&R capex. :jawdrop:

P&R's combine domestic and international total for the quarter was 22.4%.

Disney's Shanghai investments are incredibly high right now. 2014 was the first fiscal year that Disney spent more internationally than domestically.

The most recent quarter (1Q2015) was the most lopsided quarter ever, with Disney investing over 2 1/2 times more internationally than domestically. :jawdrop:

Disney is spending, but they are spending most of it in Shanghai, that well-established Disney BRAND stronghold. ;)

Disney's overseas exposure is at its peak right now. It explains why Disney executives might be hypersensitive to anyone questioning what's happening in China.
this is the lowest EVER in the history of the Disney company, Six Flags is investing 9.6% and UNI is investing 22.8% of revenue.
Let's look at apples-to-apples. For fiscal year 2014:
  • Universal Theme Parks: 25.6%
  • Disney P&R total: 17.8%
  • Disney P&R domestic: 9.6%
  • Six Flags: 9.2%
Reposting something I wrote on another thread ...

During Bob Iger's first 7 fiscal years as CEO, Disney spent 14.6% of domestic P&R revenue on domestic P&R capital expenditures.

The following shows domestic spending levels over the last 8 fiscal quarters (i.e. 2 years):

Dosmestic P&R Capex - 2 years.jpg

Disney's current domestic spending is approaching the record low. (The lowest full fiscal year is 8.3% in 2006.)

P.S. In case it is unclear, the above numbers are specific to Disney's Parks & Resorts segment and Universal's theme Parks division, not to either company as a whole. I've edited the above to explicitly state this. Hopefully, it's clearer now. :)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom