A Spirited Perfect Ten

GoofGoof

Premium Member
His primary offence was that he used his blog to encourage his followers to harass D'Ozario. I haven't read the tweets, but even Sims admits he was a jerk. He engaged in this behavior for three years. I don't believe that threats of violence are necessary for this to be considered bullying. I have read that he made a comment that she should cut off her hands or something to that effect. But I haven't seen the comment myself, so I can't swear to that. I do know that he showed up on her site to gloat about the abuse she was receiving from his fans. He posted:

"You gonna to CRY, little girl?"

Whether or not Sims actually threatened D'Ozario, he went out of her way to make her miserable for three years! She actually dropped out of writing comics as a result. I don't think there's any doubt Sims crossed a line. Even he admits he did.

Edit: For what it's worth, DOzario doesn't want Sims to be replaced. She's afraid of being blamed for it if Marvel takes action against Sims.
Yeah, that sounds pretty bad. I didn't mean to imply he had to have threatened physical violence to be in the wrong. There is a difference between just being critical and harassment. The problem with blogs and twitter and social media in general is people will say things they would never say in person, face to face. In this case at least the guy wasn't hiding behind an anonymous social media account, but it's still wrong to harass someone and especially to encourage others to do it. I still don't know if it's enough for Marvel to blacklist the guy. Especially since it happened a while ago.

lebeau

Yeah, that sounds pretty bad. I didn't mean to imply he had to have threatened physical violence to be in the wrong. There is a difference between just being critical and harassment. The problem with blogs and twitter and social media in general is people will say things they would never say in person, face to face. In this case at least the guy wasn't hiding behind an anonymous social media account, but it's still wrong to harass someone and especially to encourage others to do it. I still don't know if it's enough for Marvel to blacklist the guy. Especially since it happened a while ago.

I don't think there is any danger of that. Marvel has issued a "no comment". Frankly, there are other people who work for the company who are accused of doing worse than Sims. Actual sexual harassment. Same at DC. But it gets swept under the rug time and again. No one is held accountable. This behavior has been tolerated in the industry for decades.

Change is needed. As the parent company, Disney should be insisting on real change. Marvel has shown repeatedly that they can't be counted on to do it themselves.

I'm less concerned about Sims who I believe is genuinely remorseful. He could have handled the situation much better than he did. But I don't think he is ever likely to indulge in this behavior again. Still, I can't get over the notion that he is getting away with it. And within the industry, this sort of thing is rampant and largely unreported.

the.dreamfinder

I'm going to change the subject. I read today on yahoo that Jay Rasulo sold 12 million dollars worth of Disney Stock.

Is what ever happening in China has anything with Jay selling that much stock or does he has plans to leave the company since he is working without a contract? I am wondering to make sure that it isn't just Jay selling that much stock due to the worth of it.

Here is the link I found out about Jay selling the stock:
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/s/jay-rasulo-sells-12-million-worth-disney-shares-003855440.html
A good time to mention Michael still owns almost all of the DIS shares he recieved over his tenure.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm going to change the subject. I read today on yahoo that Jay Rasulo sold 12 million dollars worth of Disney Stock.

Is what ever happening in China has anything with Jay selling that much stock or does he has plans to leave the company since he is working without a contract? I am wondering to make sure that it isn't just Jay selling that much stock due to the worth of it.

Here is the link I found out about Jay selling the stock:
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/s/jay-rasulo-sells-12-million-worth-disney-shares-003855440.html
I wouldn't read too much into it. The stock is at an all time high and there is a limited window when execs can sell shares. The time between when the 10K was filed and when the next quarter end periods starts. Starting April 1st he would be blacked out again from selling until after the next 10Q is filed. Often times if there is a major acquisition or transaction in the works which is not public yet the execs will also be blacked out. He's probably also anticipating getting a bunch more shares when he takes the golden parachute some time soon. I would say it's unlikely that this has anything to do with China or a non-public issue with the company.

the.dreamfinder

I wouldn't read too much into it. The stock is at an all time high and there is a limited window when execs can sell shares. The time between when the 10K was filed and when the next quarter end periods starts. Starting April 1st he would be blacked out again from selling until after the next 10Q is filed. Often times if there is a major acquisition or transaction in the works which is not public yet the execs will also be blacked out. He's probably also anticipating getting a bunch more shares when he takes the golden parachute some time soon. I would say it's unlikely that this has anything to do with China or a non-public issue with the company.
When it hits the front page of Variety, you should read into it. I recall a certain spirit saying he could be out by Easter, it looks like Rasulo's still on that trajectory. If he keeps unloading shares over the next couple weeks, then we know he's gone.
http://variety.com/2015/biz/news/ja...-still-working-without-a-contract-1201456326/
Jay Rasulo Sells Disney Shares Worth $12 Million; Still Working Without a Contract
If you’re Jay Rasulo and you’re a little sad about not getting the nod as the heir apparent to Robert Iger in the executive office at the Walt Disney Co., there are still some perks. Rasulo, the company’s senior executive VP and chief financial officer, unloaded 115,000 shares of Disney last week to pocket more than $12 million, according to a regulatory filing.

He continues to work at the Burbank-based company without a contract, which he let expire on January 31 as he awaited Iger’s decision about who would become the company’s next chief operating officer. Tom Staggs got the nod as COO, thus becoming the leading contender to succeed Iger when he retires as chairman and CEO of the company on June 30, 2018.

With Disney’s shares hovering near an all-time high, Rasulo’s bloc went for $106-$107 a share, according to the Securities and Exchange Commission paperwork. The filing said Rasulo still holds nearly 116,000 more shares either directly or through his 401(k). Disney’s last proxy statement reported that Rasulo also had the right to exercise options on up to 654,833 additional shares.

Rasulo’s loss in the runoff for the No. 2 Disney job in February led to wide speculation that he would leave the company for a top executive position elsewhere, but he has not commented. He remains on the job at Disney as an “at will” employee.

A sale of Disney shares is far from shocking; at least partial cash-outs are tempting as the stock nears its high of more than $108 a share. Disney (DIS) shares closed Thursday at $107.26, more than double where they stood at the start of 2013.

An earlier SEC filing showed Rasulo as the second highest-paid executive behind Iger. In fiscal 2014, Rasulo made $16 million, up from $10.7 million in fiscal 2013. Iger brought in a total of $46.5 million in salary, stock and other compensation.

Company officials declined to comment, and Rasulo could not be reached.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Based on @WDW1974's comments I'd have to agree, I think Jay is probably preparing for his exit.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Eh I'd hit around that ballpark. But I don't think this summer will be the Summer of Blockbuster Super Heroes again. But Lets talk about the new Star Wars Movie it's been 10 years now since the last one came out. How much do you think that one will rake out?

It depends, If it's a good story could be over two billion, If it's a 90 minute ad for SW toys 300-500 million tops. Based on the trailer it's a tossup. I saw too many things that said TOY.

I like toys, My dad still has his unopened Darth Vader and Tarkin action figures from the original SW, I do object to movies which are designed primarily to sell toys.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You leave for a few days and suddenly people are all talking about buying sports packages? C'mon, really?!?!

Besides, we finally have actual photographic evidence that Bob Iger, Tom Staggs and Mickey himself have been allowed on-site at SDL. I'm sure the fact I've been clamoring for it and telling analysts and reporters exactly why we haven't seen one had nothing to do with it!!! Amazing. ;):D:cool:

Congrats Disney. You showed this Spirit a thing or two!

Team Iger: 1
Team Spirit: 123,769.

@WDW1974, We were talking about the effect of potential 'ala carte' on Disney's cable properties and how it has the potential to reduce Disney's 10's of millions of cable subscribers to millions of cable subscribers for properties like ESPN which Disney could no longer force into 'basic' packages.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom