A Spirited Perfect Ten

Nemo14

You leave for a few days and suddenly people are all talking about buying sports packages? C'mon, really?!?!

Besides, we finally have actual photographic evidence that Bob Iger, Tom Staggs and Mickey himself have been allowed on-site at SDL. I'm sure the fact I've been clamoring for it and telling analysts and reporters exactly why we haven't seen one had nothing to do with it!!! Amazing. ;):D:cool:

Congrats Disney. You showed this Spirit a thing or two!

Team Iger: 1
Team Spirit: 123,769.
They released a picture?

asianway

Are we going to talk about the work being done on the Cinderella Castle Suite that may disgust some people? Or the fact that Hollywood Studio's expansion (Backlot Tour area) will open before Avatar even though they haven't even broke ground yet?
Is that where they're having the new dessert party? I've been trying to figure out what the difference was

jakeman

You leave for a few days and suddenly people are all talking about buying sports packages? C'mon, really?!?!

Besides, we finally have actual photographic evidence that Bob Iger, Tom Staggs and Mickey himself have been allowed on-site at SDL. I'm sure the fact I've been clamoring for it and telling analysts and reporters exactly why we haven't seen one had nothing to do with it!!! Amazing. ;):D:cool:

Congrats Disney. You showed this Spirit a thing or two!

Team Iger: 1
Team Spirit: 123,769.
We could talk about your edited post...

flyerjab

MASN and the Nationals have some of the worst announcers. Makes the Braves look evenhanded and fair.

The O's? I miss hearing Gary Thorne call hockey.

I know the mighty Spirit detests thread drift of this nature, but Gary Thorne was the best NHL play-by-play announcer.

Sorry. You all can go back to your Iger bashing, or whatever else goes on here.

lebeau

I hope @WDW1974 doesn't mind me introducing this subject here. It seems like a topic he would want to have discussed. If not, I'll happily move this somewhere else.

This morning, I read something that disturbed me. Marvel Comics, part of the Walt Disney Company, has hired blogger Chris Sims to write a new X-Men book. I have actually been a fan of Sims' writings on comic books for a while now. He can be both insightful and funny. But with news of his new job, some disturbing information has come to the surface.

Comic book writer Valerie D’Orazio has come forward and accused Sims of harassing her from 2007-2010. According to D’Orazio:

I have PTSD—post-traumatic stress disorder. I have specifically been diagnosed with it because of cyberbullying that I experienced between 2007-2010.

I had several cyberbullies during that three-year span, but Chris Sims was one of the worst. Not so much for what he said about me directly, but because he had a popular forum from which to direct harassment to me by many other people.

I never could figure out what I did to Chris personally to be singled out for this type of treatment. But week after week, he would have posts focused on me in which he would be a ringleader for others, who would then go off and harass me personally via my blog, social media, and emails.

This hit its peak when it was announced that I was to write a one-shot for The Punisher. Apparently Chris thought this was the wrong choice, and he made his opinions clear.

8:00 in the morning the issue was to hit stands, Marvel Comics called me to warn that there was a “harassing” atmosphere on the internet regarding my comic. They told me to “be careful.” Over the next week I received constant harassment and threats. The result was that, among other things, I refused to go to comic book conventions or other events in which somebody might know I would be at a certain time—because I believed I would be hurt or even killed.

I have spent many hours in therapy dealing with the fallout from cyberbullying. I have considered committing suicide, and turned to drinking as a way to medicate my anxiety. I now still struggle with the effects from this bullying.

Sims has admitted that D’Orazio's claims are true and issued an apology for his behavior. But only five years later and only after D’Orazio publicly called him out on it. At a time when the bad publicity could cost him his big break at Marvel.

I'm disheartened by this news. Marvel was aware of the cyber bullying when it was going on and advised D’Orazio to essentially lay low until it blows over. Now, five years later, they hire her attacker. What kind of message does that send?

I'm going to turn this over to the group to discuss. Particularly how this reflects on Marvel's parent company. If you would like to read more about the incident, I shared more of my own thoughts at my blog. This news has been hanging over my head like a dark cloud all day. But I feel like this is a discussion that needs to be had.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I hope @WDW1974 doesn't mind me introducing this subject here. It seems like a topic he would want to have discussed. If not, I'll happily move this somewhere else.

This morning, I read something that disturbed me. Marvel Comics, part of the Walt Disney Company, has hired blogger Chris Sims to write a new X-Men book. I have actually been a fan of Sims' writings on comic books for a while now. He can be both insightful and funny. But with news of his new job, some disturbing information has come to the surface.

Comic book writer Valerie D’Orazio has come forward and accused Sims of harassing her from 2007-2010. According to D’Orazio:

Sims has admitted that D’Orazio's claims are true and issued an apology for his behavior. But only five years later and only after D’Orazio publicly called him out on it. At a time when the bad publicity could cost him his big break at Marvel.

I'm disheartened by this news. Marvel was aware of the cyber bullying when it was going on and advised D’Orazio to essentially lay low until it blows over. Now, five years later, they hire her attacker. What kind of message does that send?

I'm going to turn this over to the group to discuss. Particularly how this reflects on Marvel's parent company. If you would like to read more about the incident, I shared more of my own thoughts at my blog. This news has been hanging over my head like a dark cloud all day. But I feel like this is a discussion that needs to be had.
It's hard for me to have an opinion on this without knowing more details of what the guy did/said. Did he threaten physical harm or encourage others to do so or was he just being critical and a total jerk towards this person in his blog? There are lots of blogs out there that are highly critical without crossing the line. Even here we are pretty harsh and critical of Disney executives, but I don't necessarily see it as crossing the line. Nobody encourages or threatens violence towards anyone. The most that happens is someone might call for another person to be fired. Maybe some of the Lifestyler personal attacks come pretty close to crossing the line.

Without further details it's hard to say if the guy should be fired by Marvel or allowed to stay on.

wdwfan4ver

I'm going to change the subject. I read today on yahoo that Jay Rasulo sold 12 million dollars worth of Disney Stock.

Is what ever happening in China has anything with Jay selling that much stock or does he has plans to leave the company since he is working without a contract? I am wondering to make sure that it isn't just Jay selling that much stock due to the worth of it.

Here is the link I found out about Jay selling the stock:
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/s/jay-rasulo-sells-12-million-worth-disney-shares-003855440.html

Last edited:

lebeau

It's hard for me to have an opinion on this without knowing more details of what the guy did/said. Did he threaten physical harm or encourage others to do so or was he just being critical and a total jerk towards this person in his blog? There are lots of blogs out there that are highly critical without crossing the line. Even here we are pretty harsh and critical of Disney executives, but I don't necessarily see it as crossing the line. Nobody encourages or threatens violence towards anyone. The most that happens is someone might call for another person to be fired. Maybe some of the Lifestyler personal attacks come pretty close to crossing the line.

Without further details it's hard to say if the guy should be fired by Marvel or allowed to stay on.

His primary offence was that he used his blog to encourage his followers to harass D'Ozario. I haven't read the tweets, but even Sims admits he was a jerk. He engaged in this behavior for three years. I don't believe that threats of violence are necessary for this to be considered bullying. I have read that he made a comment that she should cut off her hands or something to that effect. But I haven't seen the comment myself, so I can't swear to that. I do know that he showed up on her site to gloat about the abuse she was receiving from his fans. He posted:

"You gonna to CRY, little girl?"

Whether or not Sims actually threatened D'Ozario, he went out of her way to make her miserable for three years! She actually dropped out of writing comics as a result. I don't think there's any doubt Sims crossed a line. Even he admits he did.

Edit: For what it's worth, DOzario doesn't want Sims to be replaced. She's afraid of being blamed for it if Marvel takes action against Sims.

BrianLo

Not so much for what he said about me directly, but because he had a popular forum from which to direct harassment to me by many other people.

I never could figure out what I did to Chris personally to be singled out for this type of treatment. But week after week, he would have posts focused on me in which he would be a ringleader for others, who would then go off and harass me personally via my blog, social media, and emails.

This part stands out. Unfortunately, that's how this very thread is sometimes handled.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom