A Spirited Perfect Ten

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
They are two very different beasts. I think that part of this is that many who come to Disney World, either have no experience with the park or no recent experience with the parks. So effectively these people are buying into the Studios sight-unseen. Also the customer base for WDW is spread out across the East Coast, Midwest, South and Europe, you don't have the potential for word-of-mouth reviews like in CA where a lot of people know someone who has been to the parks or have been there in the last couple years. People need information to know that a park is bad.

Thoughtful response but does that excuse TWDC for not reinvesting in what is supposed to be their 'flagship' property, CA sees most of the capital reinvestment while in FL we see constantly declining standards across the board.

The reality is only the frequent visitor will notice things that have gone missing since the last trip, Things like PUSH, The water being turned off to the globe in Tomorrowland (when it's on you can turn the globe by hand), I remember a time when every visit to WDW had something NEW not necessarily a big thing - a show, a performer etc, Now it's what ELSE has been taken away since the LAST visit. Supposedly i'm a 'hater' because I point out that WDW is not living up to the standards they set for themselves.

If we use the definition of character as what you do when you think no one is watching, TWDC does not come off very well in that respect.

the.dreamfinder

This is being done by MiceChat entirely, there is no assistance coming from Disney.
Bringing up an old post, but the gist is Dina and Brent have been begging for money for a house they own to be renovated. It's a pricey makeover for a house that has little relevance to the Walt Disney story that will likely be a second home which occasionally gives tours.
In my view they already tried and failed (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1697478835/the-walt-disney-birthplace-preservation-project) to raise money from fans for this project and they just need to stop. While it's totally admirable that someone would want to do this, I would encourage folks to look at how Dina and Brent and their "Executive Director" Dusty Sage have gone about this project. Take a look at this quote from their kickstarter page regarding post renovation plans:

Why so cagey? If it's going to become a museum, then why won't you outright state it as such?

The second big issue here is who, in the legal sense, owns the property and is in charge of raised funds. While Dina and Brent purchased the home, they have created a corporation called WDB Restorations LLC to collect donations, pay contractors/consultants, etc. If this "historic landmark" is going to become a museum, why not establish a non-profit organization which owns the home, collects donations, and wouldn't have to pay corporate income and property taxes?

This may be going out on a lark, but are Dina and Brent raising funds for their second home that occasionally gives tours to the public so it can be called a museum? I raise this question because they are manipulating a narrative, that the world, TWDC included, is abandoning Walt and destorting his legacy, I as a fan, as well as many others, are sympathetic to and are using it to raise funds. If they truly want to raise half a million dollars to create a permanent museum for Walt's birthplace, they need to have better answers than "we need to save Walt's old house and give us your money".

Nick Pappagiorgio

Thoughtful response but does that excuse TWDC for not reinvesting in what is supposed to be their 'flagship' property, CA sees most of the capital reinvestment while in FL we see constantly declining standards across the board.

The reality is only the frequent visitor will notice things that have gone missing since the last trip, Things like PUSH, The water being turned off to the globe in Tomorrowland (when it's on you can turn the globe by hand), I remember a time when every visit to WDW had something NEW not necessarily a big thing - a show, a performer etc, Now it's what ELSE has been taken away since the LAST visit. Supposedly i'm a 'hater' because I point out that WDW is not living up to the standards they set for themselves.

If we use the definition of character as what you do when you think no one is watching, TWDC does not come off very well in that respect.

I don't disagree with you. I hate cutbacks as much as the next guy. I'm not saying its a good thing, but I think it explains (at least in part) why there hasn't been a reduction in attendance as investment has declined.

lazyboy97o

Bringing up an old post, but the gist is Dina and Brent have been begging for money for a house they own to be renovated. It's a pricey makeover for a house that has little relevance to the Walt Disney story that will likely be a second home which occasionally gives tours.
And there is still no way to prove that non-profit status has not been sought.

the.dreamfinder

And there is still no way to prove that non-profit status has not been sought.
I was wrong on that point. There is a non-profit, which has not received 501(c)(3) status, to handle the museum's future operations, Center for Early Childhood Creativity and Innovation. However, the organization will only offer programming for the museum and will not own the property, which is owned by the for-profit WDP Restorations LLC.
Per Dina's LinkedIn page:
The Center for Early Childhood Creativity and Innovation (CECCI) is a California nonprofit public benefit corporation 501(c) (3). CECCI is currently developing programs and working with educational experts to shape dynamic and creative methods to inspire young minds. CECCI will offer programs and services at The Walt Disney Birthplace in Chicago and eventually world-wide.
So any of the museum's activities would be covered by CECCI, but the restoration funds are going directly to WDP Birthplace's pockets aka Dina and Brent. The concern this will be the couple's second house with an occasional tour or educational event still holds.

lazyboy97o

I was wrong on that point. There is a non-profit, which has not received 501(c)(3) status, to handle the museum's future operations, Center for Early Childhood Creativity and Innovation. However, the organization will only offer programming for the museum and will not own the property, which is owned by the for-profit WDP Restorations LLC.
Per Dina's LinkedIn page:

So any of the museum's activities would be covered by CECCI, but the restoration funds are going directly to WDP Birthplace's pockets aka Dina and Brent. The concern this will be the couple's second house with an occasional tour or educational event still holds.
And why does that matter? They're hardly the first to own a historic property and offer some tours. It's really nothing unusual for these types of smaller, less significant places that have a bit of a niche interest.

Cesar R M

And why does that matter? They're hardly the first to own a historic property and offer some tours. It's really nothing unusual for these types of smaller, less significant places that have a bit of a niche interest.
because the owners are trying to lie and cash on the "lol its walt's birthplace" and asking money that will probably end mostly in their pockets?

if people donated, they will be expecting to get tours and see the place.
the wording they said was very vague about getting these tours.

Imagine using that trick, pretty much get your home renovated for free.. and "maybe" do a tour once every month.

lazyboy97o

because the owners are trying to lie and cash on the "lol its walt's birthplace" and asking money that will probably end mostly in their pockets?

Imagine using that trick, pretty much get your home renovated for free.. and "maybe" do a tour once every month.
People who live at far less notable places also ask for donations. They're not pre-selling tours or any other specific product.

Tigger1988

Proof of the "lie"?

Pretty sure that's what lazyboy is hinting at. None of you have any proof of the conclusions you're jumping to. I for one, don't care. Someone bought the house from A Christmas Story and turned it into a museum. The film wasn't even SHOT inside the house, just exterior shots. Who cares?

WDW1974

Original Poster
A Spirited Explanation:

There appears to be a major disconnect between many fans (these are largely the ones who have never left the country and never will) regarding why Disney's dealings in China are significantly different than its park operations in Paris and Tokyo.

The thinking appears to be ''well, Mr. Spirit sir, if Disney not having control in Tokyo is a good thing, then why is it a bad thing in Shanghai, and to a lesser extent, Hong Kong?''

Very, very simple.

Tokyo and Paris are resorts located in democratic nations. Nations where American laws and contracts are respected in business. TWDC doesn't own a single percent of the TDR yet it holds the OLC to Disney standards that the company itself doesn't even follow in the USA and hasn't for decades now. Contracts ensure this. DLP is now for all intents and purposes owned and operated by Disney itself after the last restructuring (again, one I said was coming well over a year ago!) so they do as they like there as well.

China is a different situation entirely. This isn't Disney's resort in Shanghai (as Bob Iger would have you believe). It is the Chinese Communist Party's 'Disney resort .' There is a huge difference. Disney doesn't control anything of substance there. Even its management contract (70% to 30% for Shendi) is one largely in name only. Every, and I do mean every, decision of substance going through the government (recall me pointing out the odd way HKDL was expanded? That was because WDI/Burbank didn't have final say on the development.)

BTW, this is what Bob Iger and Disney absolutely do not want you and, much more importantly, Wall Street to realize and soak in.

Bob has pinned his legacy on this park (it's hard to pin a legacy on companies that created their own amazing content due to people like John Lasseter, Ed Catmull, Ike Perlmutter , Stan Lee, Kevin Feige, George Lucas, Kathleen Kennedy etc. That you simply went out and bought) and it ain't looking good at all.

To that end, one reporter I have been communicating with flat out told me 'off the record', naturally, that there is largely a silent quid pro quo between Disney and business media and even analysts: if you want access and cooperation with us, you won't ask any questions about China. If we have something to say, then we'll say it, but we don't want you starting the dialog.

And you wonder how Disney can get a simple Op-Ed in the HuffPo cleansed from the 'net with no one in media stopping to say 'wait' a minute...'

As simple as that.

#firewillowbay #disneycensors #IgerfumblesChina

the.dreamfinder

Proof of the "lie"?

Pretty sure that's what lazyboy is hinting at. None of you have any proof of the conclusions you're jumping to. I for one, don't care. Someone bought the house from A Christmas Story and turned it into a museum. The film wasn't even SHOT inside the house, just exterior shots. Who cares?
It's not a matter of lying, it's a matter of being disingenuous. We have two individuals who are trading on the goodwill of the fan community by trying to guilt them into a second home renovation and occasional museum. We have a site, MiceChat and its owner Dusty, using its platform to choose one project over others because he gets a paycheck out of it. There needs to be a point where the fan community choose to not tolerate manipulative and disingenuous behavior. Hopefully the poor financial showing and apathy is enough.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Well, because you're accustomed to cold temperatures right?

anyway, disagree with you again.
there is a huge difference in comfortable... vs freezing cold or sweating hot.
huge differences of 40C outside then to 10C inside will get anybody with a heavy cold or worse..

I doubt very much that there is a 30 degree swing in temps anywhere. It may feel that way at times (most likely on buses where drivers can control the temps) but it isn't that bad.

And as someone who has had to deal with mold due to water damage, I can tell you that in Florida you absolutely need to freeze folks out. You know, like it always is in say The Emporium.

#firewillowbay #disneycensors #IgerfumblesChina

Tigger1988

It's not a matter of lying, it's a matter of being disingenuous. We have two individuals who are trading on the goodwill of the fan community by trying to guilt them into a second home renovation and occasional museum. We have a site, MiceChat and its owner Dusty, using its platform to choose one project over others because he gets a paycheck out of it. There needs to be a point where the fan community choose to not tolerate manipulative and disingenuous behavior. Hopefully the poor financial showing and apathy is enough.
Don't donate. It's truly as simple as that.

You've done more to promote their campaign than anything. I know I wouldn't have heard about it otherwise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom