A Spirited Perfect Ten

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The issue is that Disney hasn't put out (because Shendi won't allow it and Disney and Iger would look horrible if the REAL press did its damn job and reported it!) a photo of Iger, Staggs or Rasulo ... or even Mickey Mouse at the start of construction for the castle or the topping off of the hotel because this park IS NOT DISNEY'S. It is the CCP's Disney Park and Bob Iger isn't in charge, regardless of what any contracts say.

The only thing being kept under wraps is what Bob had to give up in order to get into China. His predecessor (who has been photographed on site in front of attractions that Disney has yet to announce) would never have signed or agreed to this deal. All control goes thru Shendi/Beijing and the most important aspect to growing a BRAND, media penetration via television and film, was never part of the deal Iger agreed to.

It's his legacy alright. But what Wall Street and fanbois fail to grasp is what it really means.

And our wonderful business press will ignore this story even if you drop a piano on their heads. So, Bob just continues to openly lie and claim things that are not true and no one that doesn't spend time in China isn't the wiser.

But I need to run ... y'all have MAGICal Fridays!

#firewillowbay #disneycensors #IgerfumblesChina

Oh the business press and the 'Street will figure it out when the CCP plays their hole card.

culturenthrills

You need, in Florida, to err on freezing folks out sometime, rather than having them sweat. The ONLY theme parks on the planet that I have ever been in and been warm to hot to downright uncomfortable have been at WDW over the past 15 or so years.

They used to keep the AC cranking 24/7 and now they shut them off nightly (or did when last I asked). Do you know how hard it is to cool a massive showbuilding down in the morning when you've had the AC off for 8-9-10 hours in 80 degree weather with 80 percent humidity?

You just deal with being cold sometimes (as happens at UNI ... and even at DLR). Hell, it was 87 here earlier and then a shower came in and cooled it to a 'frigid' 76. Guess what, when you come into a building properly AC'd to 68-70 degrees from sticky condition, you will feel cold. I am right now. But it sure beats having it be 82 in here.

#firewillowbay #disneycensors #IgerfumblesChina

And it's just not about keeping guests cool it is about keeping these gigantic show buildings mold free. And Disney is already starting to have a mold problem that is gonna get worse. I am very sensitive to mold and kind literally walk into some of the buildings at WDW and tell. Guess what? I don't have that problem at UNI. So by saving a few bucks it will end up costing them millions. So stupid.

the.dreamfinder

Deadline has finished up their 'Blockbuster Movie Tournament' with "American Sniper" as 2014's most profitable film. We now have some interesting estimates on how much profit Disney's big tentpoles made that year. Please note that with the exception of "Big Hero 6", all of Disney's films relied on Govenrment subsidies from Ohio and the District of Columbia (Captain America: The Winter Soldier) and the United Kingdom (Guardians of the Galaxy and Maleficent).
Captain America-The Winter Soldier
Total Profit: $166.2 Million
Expense to Profit ratio: $1.35
http://deadline.com/2015/03/captain-america-winter-soldier-profit-box-office-2014-1201390799/

Maleficent
Total Profit: $190.77
Expense to Profit ratio: $1.34
http://deadline.com/2015/03/maleficent-profit-box-office-2014-1201391209/

Big Hero 6
Total Profit: $187.34
Expense to Profit ratio: $1.43
http://deadline.com/2015/03/big-hero-6-profit-box-office-2014-1201390825/

Guardians of the Galaxy
Total Proft: $204.2 Million
Expense to Profit ratio: $1.39
http://deadline.com/2015/03/guardians-of-the-galaxy-profit-box-office-2014-1201391217/

Bonus: The Lego Movie (Recivied generous subsidies from the Australian government)
Total Profit: $229.008 Million
Expense to Profit ratio: $1.80

RSoxNo1

So they're going to drop another billion dollars in Disney's California adventure while they continue to neglect the studios By just dragging their feet.

How many billions does California get for DCA? Meanwhile the studios continue to fall into rumors of potential expansions and remodeling… yep with no actual substance or physical changes.
Where are you seeing that another billion is being dropped into DCA?

Cesar R M

So they're going to drop another billion dollars in Disney's California adventure while they continue to neglect the studios By just dragging their feet.

How many billions does California get for DCA? Meanwhile the studios continue to fall into rumors of potential expansions and remodeling… yep with no actual substance or physical changes.
is this a fresh rumour?

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
They announced Condor Flats was being repurposed into the Grizzly Gulch Airstrip or something to that nature. I think they are surprisingly moving forward with phase 2. I have no idea what phase 2 is but if they are doing all this work I would consider it one.

They announced Condor Flats was being repurposed into the Grizzly Gulch Airstrip or something to that nature. I think they are surprisingly moving forward with phase 2. I have no idea what phase 2 is but if they are doing all this work I would consider it one.

Phase 2 was never on the level of the original expansion. There are multiple projects in development for DCA, but they will not all be funded at the same time, as the first round of expansion was. The Grizzly Peak Airfield, Hollywoodland retheme, Marvel coaster, Paradise Pier additions; all are in development for DCA. Some will get the green light, some will not. So no, they are not moving forward with a formal "Phase 2." There are, however, projects in development that will happen over the next decade or so that fans will lump into a sort of "phase 2."

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Very different. Tokyo Disney Resort is 100% owned and operated by the Oriental Land Company. The Chinesr parks are a joint ownership between Disney and the local government, with the government being the majority owner, and Disney operating the parks.

Yes this is a special little deal, CCP is majority owner yet Disney has put up all the funding for the park... tag this in the "Thank You Sir, May I have another Sir" category. In keeping with SW IP "I have a bad feeling about this
...".

the.dreamfinder

Yes this is a special little deal, CCP is majority owner yet Disney has put up all the funding for the park... tag this in the "Thank You Sir, May I have another Sir" category. In keeping with SW IP "I have a bad feeling about this
...".
Incorrect, Disney splits the capital costs with SHENDI. However, we don't know if that's also the case with the mysterious $800 million.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Incorrect, Disney splits the capital costs with SHENDI. However, we don't know if that's also the case with the mysterious $800 million.

Are you sure about that?, As I understand it SHENDI provided the land and Disney is paying 6.3 B US (including the mysterious $800 million) for the construction of the physical plant.

As the land was the property of the CCP it was essentially free for SHENDI.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

hey people keep coming to WDW so why should TWDC invest a nickle more into WDW, Whereas in CA the gate drops as soon as paint starts to fade on attractions people there really DO vote with their wallet.

FigmentJedi

Well, look who's begging for more money for their home reno... I mean "museum beatification".
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-walt-disney-birthplace
Bound to happen. Fundraiser events for Micechat's "California-area Disney turbonerds with money" base and designer soda only go so far. At least those things have put a significant dent into their asking price and Indiegogo's Flexible Funding means there won't be a "Unsuccessful Kickstarter" wrench thrown into their plans.

Surprised Thank You Walt Disney (The Laugh-O-Grams restoration guys) never thought about actively crowdsourcing: They've been slow to go at it as they've only done small annual fundraiser events like a Haunted Mansion-inspired masquerade ball or a dinner/panel with Bret Iwan and Tony Anselmo and that really only serves a "Disney turbonerds with money and time to travel to Kansas City" demographic.

fillerup

Per Iger, the companies' investments were proportional to their ownership shares. So Shanghai Shendi invested an extra $456, and TWDC an extra $344 million.

This is correct. And from the NY Times last April:

"Disney and Shanghai Shendi Group, a consortium of state-owned companies, had already committed to spend $4.7 billion on the theme park resort, which is scheduled to open at the end of next year, an ambitious time table. The additional $800 million – with Disney contributing about 43 percent and Shanghai Shendi shouldering the balance – will be used to increase the number of rides operating on opening day.

Disney owns roughly 43 percent of Shanghai Disneyland, with the balance held by Shanghai Shendi. The initial $4.7 billion investment was split along ownership percentages. But Disney will have operational control, holding a 70 percent stake in a management company created with Shendi to run the resort."

Smiddimizer

Deadline has finished up their 'Blockbuster Movie Tournament' with "American Sniper" as 2014's most profitable film. We now have some interesting estimates on how much profit Disney's big tentpoles made that year. Please note that with the exception of "Big Hero 6", all of Disney's films relied on Govenrment subsidies from Ohio and the District of Columbia (Captain America: The Winter Soldier) and the United Kingdom (Guardians of the Galaxy and Maleficent).
http://deadline.com/2015/03/captain-america-winter-soldier-profit-box-office-2014-1201390799/

Maleficent

Big Hero 6

Guardians of the Galaxy
http://deadline.com/2015/03/guardians-of-the-galaxy-profit-box-office-2014-1201391217/

Bonus: The Lego Movie (Recivied generous subsidies from the Australian government)

That's really something how The Lego Movie was more profitable than Guardians.

I think for phase four Marvel should go easy on the spectacle and keep the characters grounded, earthbound. Spy thriller-esque, like Winter Soldier if it didn't have that huge climax.

Rodan75

Maleficent

Big Hero 6

Guardians of the Galaxy

And today BH6 surpassed HTTYD2 as the biggest animated film of 2014 worldwide. I can't believe that anyone at TWDC would still be disappointed with it. Doesn't this make BH6 the biggest action animated feature of all time?

the.dreamfinder

And today BH6 surpassed HTTYD2 as the biggest animated film of 2014 worldwide. I can't believe that anyone at TWDC would still be disappointed with it. Doesn't this make BH6 the biggest action animated feature of all time?
I get the impression if the films don't start a franchise, the sharp pencil boys think they are failures.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom