A Spirited Perfect Ten

Rodan75

The funny thing about Disney CEO Fumbles Entry To China is that who wrote it, even if there is a Redstone connection, doesn't matter. I doubt that Gary Snyder is alone, within the context of financial/media circles, in noticing that Disney has had troubles getting the Chinese public interested in its BRAND and products. Anyone could have written that Op-Ed with a similar background. Honestly I'm not all that sure him being a Redstone can be considered having an ulterior motive. Despite media speculation on Viacom/CBS's future post Redstone, which is really a non factor given that long term plans are in place, the Redstones don't need to attack Disney. They are doing just fine and have a strong and growing international portfolio. Plus, I hear Nickelodeon has a cable channel in China. Jealous Bob?

You know...this does raise an interesting question. Why would Shanghai who doesn't have the same attachment to the core Disney/Mickey Brand but has shown a strong attachment to Marvel/Pirates/Avatar launching a DisneyLand reimagined more toward those properties (I realize Pirates is getting a big upgrade at SDL)?

I think some of those questions do deserve more attention and that these should be questioned. But I also think it is odd that someone would take to HuffPo to launch it in an OpEd. Seems like there would be a more effective way to get these questions posed in effective forums. (and no a finely scripted shareholder meeting is not the place)

suburbianj

That's interesting. A Tokyo 2-park annual pass is about $680 (¥82,000), which means you pay only about $136 for your DLP passport.

Pretty amazing since a 1-day ticket at DLP is $109 for Americans while a 4-day ticket is $230. Impressive that you pay nearly $100 less for your AP than a 4-day ticket. Any special discount?

Of course, a WDW PAP is about $100 more than a TDL AP, so that means it's nearly 6 times your DLP passport.

Perhaps surprisingly, I've been told that WDW's 1-day ticket is one of its biggest sellers.

Unfortunately, most Americans haven't seen a 10-day vacation since they were children. The typical vacation is 4-to-5 days, meaning Americans pay considerably more for a 4-day MYW hopper ($369) than you pay for your DLP passport.

We can only dream of Tokyo Disneyland's $137 4-day hopper ticket. :(

Most European countries have mandatory minimum number of paid vacation days, typically 20 days or more. (Is France still 25 days?) In the U.S., it's 0 days. Unfortunately, most U.S. workers are 'at will' employees, meaning they can be terminated at any time without having to establish just cause. :(

In the UK it is 20 paid days holiday plus 8 days bank holidays.....and yet we still moan about wanting more lol. I work for the royal mail who are even more generous than that and I get an extra 3.5 days on top of that...plus they give you the option of buying an extra 10 days paid holiday and all they do is take 3% of my wage every week over the year to cover it....41.5 days holidays for the cost of 3% of my wage really.....not a bad deal

Last edited:

GrumpyFan

I hate trying to follow this thread. It's such a jumbled mess of topics from one page to the next.
Doesn't anybody know how to start a new thread? Or, is that forbidden?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I hate trying to follow this thread. It's such a jumbled mess of topics from one page to the next.
Doesn't anybody know how to start a new thread? Or, is that forbidden?
It's my understanding that only the spirit can start a spirited thread and número ten was to be the last.

FigmentJedi

Huh, apparently they actually used the Small World Fire to their advantage as part of the Stop Plus Ultra campaign
tumblr_nkyitov0tO1qcrcj1o1_500.jpg

Also, new trailer is up:

Phil12

It's not about republishing that article. The content of the article is, generally speaking, irrelevant to most of the outside world. However, a story about a well known media company censoring news stories would be major headlines. Especially when you add in the head of a journalism program at a well known University. The story is too good not to be told.
Yes, but all we have is unsubstantiated rumor from anonymous sources and due to promises of confidentiality it seems the sources will never be revealed. And thus far no respected journalist has published the story and Gary Snyder has suddenly developed writer's cramp. The explanation given for this incident sounds more like wishful thinking than it does plausible fact.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yes, but all we have is unsubstantiated rumor from anonymous sources and due to promises of confidentiality it seems the sources will never be revealed. And thus far no respected journalist has published the story and Gary Snyder has suddenly developed writer's cramp. The explanation given for this incident sounds more like wishful thinking than it does plausible fact.
Right. My point is the story about Disney's struggles in China is irrelevant at this point. It's not really news, it's just speculation or opinion. It painted Disney and Iger in a bad light, but that's not unprecedented.

The real news story would be Iger using his wife's connections to kill that story. To your point there is no verifiable evidence that this happened, but if there was it would be a pretty big story. I assume Gary Snyder has no concrete proof either or he would most likely release the story through any number of media outlets he has connections to.

Cesar R M

In China nothing gets on the air without the pre-approval of the CCP's censors., It's why bloggers need to be 'licensed' by the Government. The 'press' is really a organ of the Chinese government.
I was expecting this, but I am unsure how much would they modify the Nick programming.
I know that MTV will be sanitized a lot.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You know...this does raise an interesting question. Why would Shanghai who doesn't have the same attachment to the core Disney/Mickey Brand but has shown a strong attachment to Marvel/Pirates/Avatar launching a DisneyLand reimagined more toward those properties (I realize Pirates is getting a big upgrade at SDL)?

I think some of those questions do deserve more attention and that these should be questioned. But I also think it is odd that someone would take to HuffPo to launch it in an OpEd. Seems like there would be a more effective way to get these questions posed in effective forums. (and no a finely scripted shareholder meeting is not the place)

Simply because everyone in the Media business reads the HuffPo along with Drudge because 'interesting' things show up on those sites LONG before they hit the mainstream radar.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Simple, Action flicks are big in China and for the most part Western cities are getting trashed so the CCP is happy with that and most action flicks portray the USG as either actively Evil and/or Stupid so that works for the CCP too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom