A Spirited Perfect Ten

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
In the UK it is 20 paid days holiday plus 8 days bank holidays.....and yet we still moan about wanting more lol. I work for the royal mail who are even more generous than that and I get an extra 3.5 days on top of that...plus they give you the option of buying an extra 10 days paid holiday and all they do is take 3% of my wage every week over the year to cover it....41.5 days holidays for the cost of 3% of my wage really.....not a bad deal

[/SARC]

It's amazing UK businesses have not gone bankrupt giving days off to their workers, If that happened in the US all businesses would close overnight due to the financial strain...

[/SARCOFF]

BrerJon

Spooky Viral Video for Tomorrowland concerning people with an axe to grind against Plus Ultra, the secret society that created the interdimensional city

EDIT: Full viral page is up here http://www.stopplusultra.com/

This looks like it will be a great movie. According to the website, there's speculation that Walt Disney and the other Plus Ultra members are alive and well and living in Tomorrowland... wonder if they'll get Tom Hanks to do a Walt cameo?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Right. My point is the story about Disney's struggles in China is irrelevant at this point. It's not really news, it's just speculation or opinion. It painted Disney and Iger in a bad light, but that's not unprecedented.

The real news story would be Iger using his wife's connections to kill that story. To your point there is no verifiable evidence that this happened, but if there was it would be a pretty big story. I assume Gary Snyder has no concrete proof either or he would most likely release the story through any number of media outlets he has connections to.

Just a note USC faculty are not happy with what happened, This is by no means dead no matter what Iger thinks.

Cesar R M

SpongeBob probably not much, The edgier stuff probably quite a bit but watching MTV/Nick was not a priority when I was there.
I honestly think other shows like Korra would be censored a lot.
As they have way too much stuff against oppression, radicalism, anarchy and imperialism(concentrated power).
Not to mention the hint towards a female to female relationships in the ending.

Phil12

Right. My point is the story about Disney's struggles in China is irrelevant at this point. It's not really news, it's just speculation or opinion. It painted Disney and Iger in a bad light, but that's not unprecedented.

The real news story would be Iger using his wife's connections to kill that story. To your point there is no verifiable evidence that this happened, but if there was it would be a pretty big story. I assume Gary Snyder has no concrete proof either or he would most likely release the story through any number of media outlets he has connections to.
I agree. Disney having difficulties in China is not big news. And the spiked story theory is only speculation and supposition at this point. As you point out, Gary Snyder has other media outlets he could use to get this out. And yet, the original article is still available:

http://xin.msn.com/en-sg/money/other/disney-ceo-fumbles-entry-to-china/ar-BBhJ56W?srcref=rss#page=2

There seems to be a lot of misinformation about this event. The Iger detractors seem to be taking this personally.

Rodan75

I agree. Disney having difficulties in China is not big news. And the spiked story theory is only speculation and supposition at this point. As you point out, Gary Snyder has other media outlets he could use to get this out. And yet, the original article is still available:

http://xin.msn.com/en-sg/money/other/disney-ceo-fumbles-entry-to-china/ar-BBhJ56W?srcref=rss#page=2

There seems to be a lot of misinformation about this event. The Iger detractors seem to be taking this personally.

I think I'm more impartial on Iger (Like what he has done for TWDC, disappointed at WDW) than many on this forum, but this whole tempest in a teapot just seems silly and a silly way to impact someones career. If Iger didn't have it pulled then the HuffPo should be stating what exactly happened to the article and the rest of the posts from the author. If Iger and Willow Bay had it pulled then there should be a public apology and some sort of comeuppance.

The only way I think this dies without either Iger or Snyder eating crow is if there was a legal agreement that was breached or created to pull the article.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think I'm more impartial on Iger (Like what he has done for TWDC, disappointed at WDW) than many on this forum, but this whole tempest in a teapot just seems silly and a silly way to impact someones career. If Iger didn't have it pulled then the HuffPo should be stating what exactly happened to the article and the rest of the posts from the author. If Iger and Willow Bay had it pulled then there should be a public apology and some sort of comeuppance.

The only way I think this dies without either Iger or Snyder eating crow is if there was a legal agreement that was breached or created to pull the article.

Yes I agree, This will continue to get worse for Iger and company in the absence of a legal agreement, Trying to bury the story just keeps stoking interest in it. What made it more interesting is HuffPo had a blurb up about the provenance of the story which they were also forced to take down.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just a note USC faculty are not happy with what happened, This is by no means dead no matter what Iger thinks.
How much of that is people being upset over this incident and how much is people just don't like her as their "boss"? I don't doubt there are a number of professors who weren't happy someone way less qualified than them got the job.

As far as the story being dead, it's kinda on life support. There has been no public follow up and unless Gary Snyder or someone on the inside comes out publicly to discuss it, the story will die. No way the Iger camp or anyone from Huff Post is going to bring it up. As far as USC goes, if they call The Huffington Post and ask for an official comment on why the article was pulled they are going to get the run around or no comment. Without a smoking gun that leads back to Iger's wife she isn't likely to be fired. Just my read on the situation. I honestly couldn't care less if she did get fired.

Last edited:

Smiddimizer

Huh, apparently they actually used the Small World Fire to their advantage as part of the Stop Plus Ultra campaign
tumblr_nkyitov0tO1qcrcj1o1_500.jpg

Also, new trailer is up:

"A World Beyond"? What is this a franchise now?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
How much of that is people being upset over this incident and how much is people just don't like her as their "boss"? I don't doubt there are a number of professors who weren't happy someone way less qualified than them got the job.

As far as the story being dead, it's kinda on life support. There has been no public follow up and unless Gary Snyder or someone on the inside comes out publicly to discuss it, the story will die. No way the Iger camp or anyone from Huff Post is going to bring it up. As far as USC goes, if they call The Huffington Post and ask for an official comment on why the article was pulled they are going to get the run around or no comment. Without a smoking gun that leads back to Iger's wife she isn't likely to be fired. Just my read on the situation. I honestly couldn't care less if she did get fired.

Having been in academia I can guarantee A LOT of the faculty do not like her because she does not have a 'union card' ie a PhD and there are a lot more should we say 'qualified' faculty than there are senior level jobs, If you think politics in DC is vicious you need to visit a faculty club sometime the joke is the politics are so vicious because the stakes are so low.

When you have basically a spokesmodel in a position like this surrounded by smart people accustomed to playing the long game make one slip and the 'professional faculty' will be on you like a pack of starving wolves and this is the position Willow finds herself in now.

Political hires like Willow are usually tolerated in academic circles as long as they limit their activities to fundraising and being seen at the cocktail parties because a department 'head' is usually the 'Fundraiser in Chief' for the department administrative deans actually do the administrative work, If they try to actually do something the natives (PhD's all) get very restless and if they even appear to have done something stupid the faculty usually want (and usually get) the person fired.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Having been in academia I can guarantee A LOT of the faculty do not like her because she does not have a 'union card' ie a PhD and there are a lot more should we say 'qualified' faculty than there are senior level jobs, If you think politics in DC is vicious you need to visit a faculty club sometime the joke is the politics are so vicious because the stakes are so low.

When you have basically a spokesmodel in a position like this surrounded by smart people accustomed to playing the long game make one slip and the 'professional faculty' will be on you like a pack of starving wolves and this is the position Willow finds herself in now.

Political hires like Willow are usually tolerated in academic circles as long as they limit their activities to fundraising and being seen at the cocktail parties because a department 'head' is usually the 'Fundraiser in Chief' for the department administrative deans actually do the administrative work, If they try to actually do something the natives (PhD's all) get very restless and if they even appear to have done something stupid the faculty usually want (and usually get) the person fired.
I wonder if there has been an increase in hiring USC journalism students by TWDC (and their affiliates) since she took over the job. In a lot of cases who you know is way more important than what you know. I'm sure a few placed calls by Willow to someone at ABC news or even ESPN could at least get people in the door. That's probably more valuable than the knowledge she brings to the job. It's also probably why the administration would be reluctant to fire her. Wouldn't want your students shut out from a major media company.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom