A Spirited Perfect Ten

The Empress Lilly

He was censored. Disney/Iger/Bay had the China article pulled. That is censorship, period.
Whether or not he could place his article somewhere else is irrelevant.

What is relevant is that Disney doesn't want it read. So they pulled it, using Iger's wife's pull at the post to do so.
But how do we know that? It is the least likely explanation, based on the least likely premises.

Why would Disney jeopardise the name and career of its ceo and his wife, or why would Ms. Bay herself jeopardise her career, over a fluff non-piece that differs in no way, shape and form from a million other articles saying the exact same thing, and that can be read everywhere even when pulled anyway?

There is a reason no serious reporter is running this 'story': because there is none.

If a billionaire competitor is really unduly censored, if Disney's direct competitors in China CBS/Viacom are really unduly censored, then why aren't we seeing them scream murder about it?

The Empress Lilly

Also, what a lot of sexism around here (and that in the week of March 8th). It is debatable whether she would hold her current positions without her marriage, but Ms. Bay is still her own woman, highly educated, successful. She graduated laude from the University of Pennsylvania and received an M.B.A. degree from New York University.

What nonsense that she is unfit to head USC for being a former model. A return of that ancient insinuation that women can't be both pretty and smart, that attractive women must necessarily be dumb and successful women ugly. Knuckle-dragging chauvinism. Back to your cave. Or Hooters.

Edit: lol @ asterisks :p

~~o~~o~~<<<o0O0o>>>~~o~~o~~​

The HuffPost said, "This blogger's posts are no longer available on The Huffington Post due to inaccuracies in representations he made regarding his professional affiliations." They did not state that he failed to disclose his relationship with the Redstone family.
If Snyder was inaccurate (i.e.: lied) about his affiliations, then there is no story except for a writer misrepresenting himself and so being shown the door for good reason.

If Snyder was not lying...erm, 'inaccurate', then billionaire bunny Snyder would be all over HuffPo. Our playboy has a history of unleashing his Beverly Hills lawyers on those opposing him. Yet...he remained completely silent about this episode. There is no way that somebody with such large competing business interests would accept getting a humiliating boot in a such a public tarring and feathering. The statement 'inaccuracies in representations he made regarding his professional affiliations' is either true, or a libellous statement that can not be left uncountered.

Methinks ultimately both parties' legal advisors agreed to Snyder unceremoniously leaving through the back door, HuffPo withdrawing the damning statement, and both agreeing to give no further public commentary on the case.

The Empress Lilly

The Disney Parks Blog shared concept art of the re-done Condor Flats area (now an extension to Grizzly Peak). I like the look as it continues the theming of the Grand Californian:
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...xpansion-at-disney-california-adventure-park/
Smokejumpers-grill-exterior-LR.jpg

Smokejumpers-interior-LR.jpg

GP-Airfield-from-West-LR.jpg

Soarin-LR.jpg
Disney really needs to learn the meaning of the word 'expansion'.

There is less expansion here than in Spirit's trousers that time he got trapped all evening in an Imagineer-fanboi get-together.

Last edited:

fillerup

The Willow Bay news has hit the media in central US. Journalists are quietly discussing the circumstances, and the conversation usually involves the word "corruption."

I noticed that@Lee I think it was asked for a link on this.

Did you get a chance to put that up?

I may have missed it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Also, what a lot of sexism around here (and that in the week of March 8th). It is debatable whether she would hold her current positions without her marriage, but Ms. Bay is still her own woman, highly educated, successful. She graduated *** laude from the University of Pennsylvania and received an M.B.A. degree from New York University.

What nonsense that she is unfit to head USC for being a former model. A return of that ancient insinuation that women can't be both pretty and smart, that attractive women must necessarily be dumb and successful women ugly. Knuckle-dragging chauvinism. Back to your cave. Or Hooters
.​
If having an MBA qualifies you to be a journalism department head at a major University then I should be applying for jobs. She may be highly educated, but I didn't see any journalism teaching experience in her bio. In my experience the head of a department at a University is usually a tenured professor with a PHD and a bunch of experience in the related field. She has experience, but the academic background is missing.

RSoxNo1

There is less expansion here than in Spirit's trousers that time he got trapped all evening in an Imagineer-fanboi get-together.
It's a nomenclature thing, but I do think they should be lauded when they do positive things. The concept art for this looks better than Condor Flats. It was also part of a Phase 2 in DCA that people didn't expect to happen.

Nubs70

If having an MBA qualifies you to be a journalism department head at a major University then I should be applying for jobs. She may be highly educated, but I didn't see any journalism teaching experience in her bio. In my experience the head of a department at a University is usually a tenured professor with a PHD and a bunch of experience in the related field. She has experience, but the academic background is missing.
Even the simple entry level tenure track professorship requires a PHD.

FigmentJedi

Stop Plus Ultra's legitimacy is being called into question by Stitch Kingdom, but I think it's too much effort for something so niche to just be something some guy did for free. Still, between the Tomorrowland happenings today as well as the new gamechanging Gravity Falls episode, my day was made and this is kind of a theme song for this day in Disney.

the.dreamfinder

But how do we know that? It is the least likely explanation, based on the least likely premises.

Why would Disney jeopardise the name and career of its ceo and his wife, or why would Ms. Bay herself jeopardise her career, over a fluff non-piece that differs in no way, shape and form from a million other articles saying the exact same thing, and that can be read everywhere even when pulled anyway?
Because ego and that HuffPo piece was waiting on the Bloomberg terminals of many financial analysts who cover DIS and the media industry. If there is any group you don't want to consider the possibility that you fudged up big time, it's them.

Also, what a lot of sexism around here (and that in the week of March 8th). It is debatable whether she would hold her current positions without her marriage, but Ms. Bay is still her own woman, highly educated, successful. She graduated *** laude from the University of Pennsylvania and received an M.B.A. degree from New York University.

What nonsense that she is unfit to head USC for being a former model. A return of that ancient insinuation that women can't be both pretty and smart, that attractive women must necessarily be dumb and successful women ugly. Knuckle-dragging chauvinism. Back to your cave. Or Hooters.
For context, maybe we should look at the resumes of current/former heads of prominent communications/journalism schools. I just want to point out in advance that some Comm programs only have deans and not heads of J-Schools like USC Annenberg.​

American University
Sanford "Sandy" Ungar: 1986-1999
Harvard University
Correspondent Washington Post and National Public Radio
Host All Things Considered
Director Voice of America (VoA)

Jeffrey B. Rutenbeck, Ph.D.: 2012-Present
B.A.: The Colorado College
M.A.: University of Missouri-Columbia
Ph.D.: University of Washington
Professor University of Denver
Director Digital Media Studies UDenver
Director of Comm. Studies Champlain College
Media Consultant for Fortune 100 Companies, the United States Air Force and others
President International Digital Media and Arts Association​

Boston University
Thomas Fiedler: 2008-Present
B.S.: United States Merchant Marine Academy (Engineering)
M.S.: Boston University (Communications)
Staff Writer Miami Herald (30 Years)

Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism
Nicholas Lemann: 2003-Present
B.A.: Harvard University (American History and Literature)
President Harvard Crimson
Staff Writer Washington Post
Staff Writer The Atlantic
Staff Writer and Washington Correspondent The New Yorker

Northwestern University
Barbara J. O'Keefe: ????- Present
B.A., M.A., and Ph.D.: University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign
Professor Wayne State University
Professor Penn State University
Professor University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign
Professor University of Michigan

Syracuse University SI Newhouse School of Public Communications
Lorraine Branham: 2008-Present
Education: Not Publicly Listed
Reporter and Editor Baltimore Sun
Editor Philadelphia Inquirer
Director School of Journalism UT Austin

USC Annenberg

Michael Parks: 2001-2008, 2013-2014 Interim
B.A.: University of Windsor (Classic Languages and Literature)
Vietnam Correspondent Baltimore Sun
Foreign Correspondent, Deputy Foreign Editor and Editor Los Angeles Times
Professor USC Annenberg

and finally...
Willow Bay: 2014-Present
B.A.: University of Pennsylvania
M.B.A.: New York University
Model and Spokesperson Estée Lauder
Correspondent NBC Today Show
Co-Anchor Good Morning America Sunday
Anchor CNN (CNN and Entertainment Weekly, CNN and Fortune, and Moneyline)
Senior Editor Huffington Post
Special Correspondent Bloomberg​

I don't know about you guys, but one of those doesn't look like the others. There's a big difference between a talking head and a life long academic or reporter.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

replacements are the new "additions" and repurposing is the new "expansion" for TWDC.

like claiming frozen at norway = addition.
and this and being repurposed = expansion

:hilarious:

Cesar R M

"The new divorce page will include legal and financial advice, forums for readers dealing with crumbling marriages, and news on celebrity splits."

Celebrity splits? Oh, you mean like "Sorry Mickey, they're just not that into you."
wouldnt that convert the huffpo into an everyday tabloid?

Cesar R M

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom