A Spirited Perfect Ten

ThemeParkJunkee

Whew! Finally caught up! Sometimes doing your own remodeling can mess with your reading time, and yes, I consider this thread about as important as the Affordable Care Act tax reconciliation forms.

I've started my savings for Tokyo. I'll visit WDW around 2020 (if I live that long). I don't cruise but appreciate the reviews. I appreciate @ParentsOf4 and his analysis. Thank you so much @WDW1974 for your comments and reveals...I especially like your Spirited Quickies (not to worry Angie, not those kind of quickies). Thank you @PhotoDave219 for explaining the somewhat more stringent moderating. Skipped over most of the drone discussion. I haven't run into any high pressure DVC "guides" even when initiating contact when I had some spare cash. I can see how it could happen though. (I bought a lake cabin instead). I would love to see @ParentsOf4 in a one on one with a DVC rep though. And, I have commented before, WDW Deluxe resorts are so overpriced now that I will stay at Pop Century unless they give me the room for free.

Also, I do love my BBQ Ribs but I am perfecting my own recipe :)

Yensid1974

Well, I've now done three complete trips to WDW utilizing FP+ and I'm truly happy to say that I can game this system just as much as any one they have had.

I feel like the only purpose for it at EPCOT is so I can get off a cruise ship at 8 a.m. and ride Soarin by lunchtime, which NEVER has happened in FL before for me. I suppose it might be worth it for better viewing of RoE, but haven't tried that.

At DAK, it almost is totally unneeded unless you are there at a very busy period. You grab one for KS, one for EE, one for Dinosaur and then do another rid or two on EE with single rider and KS later in the day and the rest is open for walking and animal encounters and soaking in WDW's most beautiful park.

I guess at Studios, it can guarantee you a ride on TSMM ... I don't like the attraction, so it really doesn't matter. Seems like I'm always FP'ing ToT and ST ...

MK, naturally, is where it is needed and it absolutely works. My last night there (a lonely cold one as I had to drop Angie off at MCO), I think I did 14 attractions from 7 p.m. to 1 a.m. when it was packed and had dinner as well. Three FPs in advance (thanks, Angie!) for Space Mtn, BTMRR and PPF. Added one for Pooh after the first three. And did things like SDMT, Small World, Pirates, Mansion and Jingle Cruise (which I very much enjoyed, thanks for asking). Again, the key is familiarity. So folks like myself will always have an advantage over newbies or folks unfamiliar with the system who think they need a FP for the MSEP ... and one to meet any character who wasn't living in Arendelle ... and one for Dumbo or Small World.

A key element to FP+ working is Disney actively taking advantage of ignorant guests. Of course, folks like myself have been doing so for years -- yes, I still enjoy it when there are 15 people on one side of a register and two on the other and I get in the side with two to order my overpriced QS grub with little wait. A key lesson in life (other than not to buy appliances from the Home Depot unless you want to wait seven weeks to have a working dishwasher and then have a spare in the garage that the delivery company wanted to keep and file an insurance claim -- after another delivery company did just that with another one a few weeks ago!) is if you don't know what the system is, or how it works, stop for a minute or three and observe what is happening around you.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Jingle Cruise, we did have a pretty decent group of CP's working for us this season. Sorry to have missed you but this guy doesn't go out into the river at night. Although, I may have been running the ride that night. :)

bhg469

Whew! Finally caught up! Sometimes doing your own remodeling can mess with your reading time, and yes, I consider this thread about as important as the Affordable Care Act tax reconciliation forms.

I've started my savings for Tokyo. I'll visit WDW around 2020 (if I live that long). I don't cruise but appreciate the reviews. I appreciate @ParentsOf4 and his analysis. Thank you so much @WDW1974 for your comments and reveals...I especially like your Spirited Quickies (not to worry Angie, not those kind of quickies). Thank you @PhotoDave219 for explaining the somewhat more stringent moderating. Skipped over most of the drone discussion. I haven't run into any high pressure DVC "guides" even when initiating contact when I had some spare cash. I can see how it could happen though. (I bought a lake cabin instead). I would love to see @ParentsOf4 in a one on one with a DVC rep though. And, I have commented before, WDW Deluxe resorts are so overpriced now that I will stay at Pop Century unless they give me the room for free.

Also, I do love my BBQ Ribs but I am perfecting my own recipe :)
Ribs wise, the last batch I made were sous vide method. They were incredible. Before that I braised. Never used a smoker but braising makes a faster and damn near perfect rack.

Magenta Panther

Passport to Dreams has a really good retrospective on the bad stuff that happened this year (NOS, Poly waterfall, Maelstrom) and that previous loss of faith that occurred back in the late 90s.
http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2015/01/notes-on-time-that-was-not-happy.html

Thank you for posting this. Personally, I've about reached my limit with the management behind WDW, thanks to what it's done to the Tower of Terror. I mean, that ride is note-perfect. It's not Peter Pan's Flight or Expedition Everest. All TDO needs to do with it is MAINTAIN IT. But now it's put a stupid LED screen in the old-fashioned TV in the library, and a major effect - the starfield in the hallway - is messed up thanks to a too-bright screen, and the sound is mucked up thanks to replacing the old but very effective sound system with crappy solid state. For crying out loud... it's bad enough to let a ride deteriorate, but to clumsily, cluelessly add junk it doesn't need is just the limit. Who's in charge of such stuff and why aren't they fired?????

ParentsOf4

And make other companies gun-shy to start huge billion dollar domestic investments? Not gonna happen
As long as the return is good enough, there always will be someone willing to take the risk.

Still, I agree with what I think is your larger sentiment that China is not going to nationalize Disney's portion of the park for breach of contract.

They'd simply change local business laws until they got what they wanted. It's not like Disney can pick up and move its theme park, and the Shanghai Shendi Group already is in bed with local politicians.

An outsider has about a 0% chance of winning a lawsuit in China. (Not that I have any knowledge of this sort of thing actually happening. ;))

China would view this sort of thing as good for it's long-term business, a cautionary tale to anyone who wants to tangle with them. ("In our country, you better do things our way.")

The Chinese business culture is not like the Western business culture. They play by a different set of rules.

Rodan75

As long as the return is good enough, there always will be someone willing to take the risk.

Still, I agree with what I think is your larger sentiment that China is not going to nationalize Disney's portion of the park for breach of contract.

They'd simply change local business laws until they got what they wanted. It's not like Disney can pick up and move its theme park, and the Shanghai Shendi Group already is in bed with local politicians.

An outsider has about a 0% chance of winning a lawsuit in China. (Not that I have any knowledge of this sort of thing actually happening. ;))

China would view this sort of thing as good for it's long-term business, a cautionary tale to anyone who wants to tangle with them. ("In our country, you better do things our way.")

The Chinese business culture is not like the Western business culture. They play by a different set of rules.

And given TWDC dependence on China for Box Office receipts as well as a market for consumer products, Disney couldn't even really 'go to war' over it, they would have to accept it and try to make the best of it or risk all of their chinese revenue streams.

yellowrocket

Because actions like this make it difficult for the REST of those people who use these UAV's responsibly, With a UAV a filmmaker can get those dramatic low over the water shots which used to require a helicopter and a gyrostabilized mount at the modest fee of $1000-2000 hour.

Bad actors like IDIOT will get private unlicensed use of UAV's BANNED.

Exactly. UAV hobbyist myself.
I just assumed he overrode the GPS to allow him to fly (NAZA mode), but according to his comments, he didn't have to. The GPS lock that prohibits UAVs from flying near airports and some sport stadiums didn't engage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom