A Spirited Perfect Ten

Fe Maiden

No, I don't believe a single one of these people read MAGIC (even for my amazing insights), but I've been wrong before. The discussion on the dress focused on whether it was appropriate for 1.) The Director of the Annenberg School of Journalism; and 2.) The spouse of the head of the largest media company in the world; and 3.) Anyone at the Academy Awards.

And don't forget 4.) Anyone with a modicum of taste and/or self respect. 5.) Anyone not legally blind.

I don't know Iger in any way, but that dress says a lot about the man. You have to be one swarmy d****e to let your wife walk out of the house in that outfit.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Free press is on life support. This type of manipulated media goes way past Bob and Willow. ABC seems to almost encourage it, lol

ABC News executive producer Ian Cameron is married to Susan Rice, National Security Advisor

ABC News & Univision reporter Matthew Jaffe is married to Katie Hogan, Obama's Deputy Press Secretary

ABC News correspondent Claire Shipman is married to former White house Press Secretary Jay Carney

CNN’s deputy Washington bureau chief, Virginia Moseley, is married to Tom Nides, who was deputy secretary of state under Hillary Rodham Clinton

The list goes on and on. No different than the revolving door politics that goes unchecked for the most part. Foxes watching the hen house.
And the whole reason that the founding fathers wanted the press to have freedoms. The press for the most part has been assimilated into the government when they were intended to be the check and balance for the three branches.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
And the whole reason that the founding fathers wanted the press to have freedoms. The press for the most part has been assimilated into the government when they were intended to be the check and balance for the three branches.
This very same 'total control' mindset trickles down into business as well. The lack of meritocracy in big businesses, such as TWDC in this instance, reflects in an extremely obvious manor in what we see in the parks today. MM+/NexGen is nothing more than big business at its finest, yet a simple shiny box delivered with a rubber wristband that has a persons name on it will convince them that all the money spent and data collected is for nothing more than to enhance the enjoyment of their vacation. Its so simple, its genius on behalf of Disney to do so little yet have an army of defenders lashing out at any person who cites the lack of anything being truly created.

Very methodically, Disney has molded their hard core fan base into staunch disciples through brand advocacy via their very own parks blogs and social media influencers who have traded any shred of journalistic integrity for a free meal at California Grill. The mommy bloggers will tow any company line they are told to, otherwise they wont get that free pair of New Balance sneakers for the DSMM marathon and be able to upload videos to their 27 followers on youtube. Im sure there are a few out there who actually attempt to give an unbiased review, but no doubt they are sniffed out quickly and then gone faster than a cheesy poof in eric cartmans hands.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

But these days the press covets their 'access' and wants to be invited to the 'good' DC parties, Forgetting that they are supposed to be the junkyard dog keeping Govt honest. It used to be a mark of honor among the press corps when one of them was the target on some politician's dartboard.

Edward R Murrow or William Randolph Hearst these guys ain't. Hearst once remarked on picking fights with people who buy paper by the trainload and ink by the barrel.

the.dreamfinder

But these days the press covets their 'access' and wants to be invited to the 'good' DC parties, Forgetting that they are supposed to be the junkyard dog keeping Govt honest. It used to be a mark of honor among the press corps when one of them was the target on some politician's dartboard.

Edward R Murrow or William Randolph Hearst these guys ain't. Hearst once remarked on picking fights with people who buy paper by the trainload and ink by the barrel.
I am not sure if comparing Murrow to Hearst is such a good idea. Murrow was a journalist, and a d a m n good one at that, who stood up to abuses of power. Hearst was media baron, not unlike Rupert Murdoch, who used his media assets to push his agendas on the public and scare politicians who opposed his views through unfavorable coverage. It's like saying Mister Smith and Jim Taylor are the same guy.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I've got a lot of mail over my ''hate'' of Bob Iger (and, yes, at this point, I fully do hate the man as his behavior is tarnishing anything that is left of Walt's company and the people who made it even better and bigger) and why I'm ''making a big deal'' about him getting a negative opinion piece removed from the web.

Look, folks, if you can't see why behavior like that is abhorrent, then I doubt anything I say or anyone else says will make a bit of difference.

Censorship is disgusting and anti-American, and when it is done by the head of the world's largest media company while using his wife's influence , while she heads one of the most prestigious journalism schools in the nation, it rises to grotesque.

You either agree or you'd rather whine about $105 MK tickets (you can do both though!) or how long the Pirates rehab is (HINT: not nearly long enough!)

But think of it this way, if TWDC can censor a meek Business Op-Ed in the HuffPo, what else has it and any corporation you can think of kept from your eyes? That's not how a supposed free press in a supposed democracy works. That's not how any of this works (he sez while trying to wrap his mind around why Bob dressed his wife as Yoda for the Oscars!)

If you don't get why censorship is a problem, then you're part of the problem. Now, go read the Patriot Act.

Some of us DID when it was proposed and realized the US we grew up with was dead and buried.

NearTheEars

Free press is on life support. We get the stories they choose for us to hear, not news. This type of manipulated media goes way past Bob and Willow. ABC seems to almost encourage it, lol

ABC News executive producer Ian Cameron is married to Susan Rice, National Security Advisor

ABC News & Univision reporter Matthew Jaffe is married to Katie Hogan, Obama's Deputy Press Secretary

ABC News correspondent Claire Shipman is married to former White house Press Secretary Jay Carney

CNN’s deputy Washington bureau chief, Virginia Moseley, is married to Tom Nides, who was deputy secretary of state under Hillary Rodham Clinton

The list goes on and on. No different than the revolving door politics that goes unchecked for the most part. Foxes watching the hen house.

Those ties are unfortunate, but when you are in media, and are surrounded by other media professionals most every day, it's pretty likely you might end up marrying one.

Where I work, there are actually a few sets of husband and wife coworkers, and several others who are married to folks at other media companies.

Just an observation. And no way standing up for the alleged censorship.

the.dreamfinder

Those ties are unfortunate, but when you are in media, and are surrounded by other media professionals most every day, it's pretty likely you might end up marrying one.

Where I work, there are actually a few sets of husband and wife coworkers, and several others who are married to folks at other media companies.

Just an observation. And no way standing up for the alleged censorship.
For those couples, work is separated from the home lest something like what we have seen with Bob and Willow be able to happen.

Nemo14

... or a mid-sized real estate development, like something between Golden Oaks & Bay Lake
or a campground in PA
16409_thumbnail-1024.jpg

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I am not sure if comparing Murrow to Hearst is such a good idea. Murrow was a journalist, and a d a m n good one at that, who stood up to abuses of power. Hearst was media baron, not unlike Rupert Murdoch, who used his media assets to push his agendas on the public and scare politicians who opposed his views through unfavorable coverage. It's like saying Mister Smith and Jim Taylor are the same guy.

True to an extent but Hearst started what's now known as investigative journalism or as T.R. called it 'Muckraking' the results of which denied him a third term as President. That being said he was probably the first media 'baron'

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
For those couples, work is separated from the home lest something like what we have seen with Bob and Willow be able to happen.

But in the cases mentioned we have 'media' personalities married to high government officials - no way there could be any conflict of interest there :rolleyes:, It's not like a couple of newsies from competing papers/stations being married.

Goofyernmost

Agreed, Edward R. was indeed a real time journalist... William Randolph Hearst was a ruthless, dishonest (if necessary) power hungry media baron. He would have a story killed in an instant if he felt that it conflicted with his goals of wealth and power... Wait, killed a story? Where have I heard about that before.

alphac2005

Well, I said I'd have some more information today regarding Mrs. Bob Iger (I'm sexist, let her sue me!) and, indeed, thanks partly to some very kind folks here, I do.

Let's start here: Willow's hiring was very contentious as she was up for the job multiple times and always stood out as sorta a reality TV 'star' in a room of great actors. She hasn't endeared herself to many long-time faculty in her time on the job. In particular, two tenured professors at Annenberg have not been reserved in their criticism of her and, more specifically, the situation with the HuffPo column that Bob Iger doesn't want Wall Street or YOU to read.

I'm going to limit my comments to what was discussed in emails that were forwarded (with permission) to me as I spoke briefly with one of the individuals this evening. Contrary to what some people want to believe, as usual, the HuffPo column isn't something only being discussed in 'trivial' places like this. It was brought up by faculty and students last week (while it was still online). The focus then was on the exporting of Americana and the difficulties TWDC has had in selling its BRAND overseas, most notably in China. On Monday, the topic of the day on campus at Annenberg was Willow Bay's very odd fashion statement on the Oscars red carpet.

No, I don't believe a single one of these people read MAGIC (even for my amazing insights), but I've been wrong before. The discussion on the dress focused on whether it was appropriate for 1.) The Director of the Annenberg School of Journalism; and 2.) The spouse of the head of the largest media company in the world; and 3.) Anyone at the Academy Awards.

The Oscars represent formal night for the industry. There is no more respected showcase for achievement than the Oscars. Willow was as out of place as the sweaty theme park goers in their tees at the California Grill. Maybe even more so.

From what I was told, her choice was panned across the board (guess those folks don't robo tweet or read tweets by all the business writers who 'need' access to her husband). And many, who knew how much she campaigned to not be associated with Bob or 'his' company found her motivations to be odd at the very least.

The disappearing column was raised in at least one lecture that I have been made aware of. Both faculty members made it clear that they don't see her roles as ''being compatible'' -- Director of the School/Editor of the HuffPo/Wife of Bob Iger.

They believe she was ''active'' in whatever went down that resulted in the column ''Disney CEO Fumbles Entry to China'' disappearing (that word is a direct quote from one of them, hence the double quote marks). To these well-respected professors, the simple appearance that she could have had any part in censoring an opinion piece that made her husband look bad reinforces the concerns that many faculty members had when she was brought in as a 'vanity hire' and before when she was passed over. The Huffington Post deleting a column critical of TWDC's Chairman and CEO and its Senior Editor's husband.

To these academics, those dots are very easy to connect and very ''problematic'' to USC. An important note, whether these accusations are true is not pertinent to these professors, it's the fact she appears guilty because she has obvious conflicts of interest that never should have been allowed to happen. One went so far to state that if she were Bob Iger's ex-wife or an ex-editor at the HuffPo that this would still look ''untoward'' as she would have/has an interest in both. They are also uncomfortable (in this era of media consolidation) that Bob is the de facto head of ABC News. On the heels of the Brian Williams/NBC saga and the ongoing Bill O"Reilly/FOX scandal, looks do matter.

All of this makes me think that if this is being discussed openly in classes at USC that this is even bigger than I thought.

And, for those playing at home, I've been pretty consistent in telling you that this is huge. This is something that actually could lead to Bob Iger having to step down ... he's already lost face in China. What might he lose next?

Willow Bay, host of the original incarnation of "NBA's Inside Stuff," doesn't exactly scream journalistic gravitas.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Agreed, Edward R. was indeed a real time journalist... William Randolph Hearst was a ruthless, dishonest (if necessary) power hungry media baron. He would have a story killed in an instant if he felt that it conflicted with his goals of wealth and power... Wait, killed a story? Where have I heard about that before.

The difference being Hearst made no bones about his agenda, Unlike today's media people who pretend to be impartial whilst being rabidly partisan in private (Anyone remember journolist, That mailing list where so called journalists would decide how the news of the day was to be presented if at all),

Man I long for the days of Cronkite and Brinkely when they simply reported the NEWS and left politricks at the door.

zweltar

Man I long for the days of Cronkite and Brinkely when they simply reported the NEWS and left politricks at the door.
But to be fair and more objective, people didn't know immediately via the Internet or social media when things happened, so who's to say that the heralded journalists didn't manipulate the narrative to fit particular agendas? I'm not making any accusations, but how are we so certain that those things didn't happen back then? We would have never known.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
But to be fair and more objective, people didn't know immediately via the Internet or social media when things happened, so who's to say that the heralded journalists didn't manipulate the narrative to fit particular agendas? I'm not making any accusations, but how are we so certain that those things didn't happen back then? We would have never known.

To be honest we cannot - but I think the best example was how Cronkite hammered the LBJ administration on Vietnam both were 'D' yet LBJ did not get a pass on the war and draft just because LBJ was 'D'.

Contrast this to now where sending troops and killing people with drones is 'OK' because it's 'Our Guy' in the white house, It's evil and wrong when the 'Other Guy' did the same thing.

It reminds me of the Purple and Green Drazi in Babylon 5, They fought simply because the other side had a different color...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom