A Spirited Perfect Ten

DisneyDrum

This China censorship stuff is such a weird situation - and a bit conspiracy minded. I was thinking about the bizarre Yoda dress, and one thing that struck me as unlikely was putting a dress together in the four days between the Huffington Post story broke and the Oscars. However, Rodarde had already put together a whole Star Wars collection of dresses as part of their most recent collection: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/runway-rock-lorde-haim-at-679457

So it's possible that a reputation service figured out that the Oscars and that dress would be an easy way to get lots of internet coverage connecting Iger and Yoda. It's clearly worked, but I'd be astounded if it really was organized effort. If the story about China is really that big, it's going to come out eventually. In any event it makes for interesting reading...

PhotoDave219

If you don't want to read about issues people have with the parks, I suggest moving to the Disboards or other less critical venues.

Hey man… He's entitled to have an opinion as well. He's also been here longer than you know… And been a contributing member of these forums way longer than you have.

It's neither my place nor your place or anyone's place other than Steve or Marcia to tell people what they can & cannot post.

tirian

So to get back on topic

—kind of back on topic—

Here's a Chinese news story about a billionaire who is blaming a "Western" (American) education for his son's escapades. Worse yet, the government is encouraging this blame game.

The most telling quotes:

"The tycoon's comments appeared to question Western customs and values, echoing remarks by government officials in recent months.

"Education Minister Yuan Guiren said last month that universities must tightly control the use of text books from overseas that spread 'Western values.'

"'We can't do business in China without the Chinese government … So we should be close to the government, respect the government and be good at communicating with the government with positive attitude,' he said."

The NY Times is linking to this story.

http://m.scmp.com/news/china/articl...lame-his-buxom-girlfriend-remarks-says-tycoon

@WDW1974 , how does Iger like staying out of the spotlight so that Shanghai DL looks like a gift from the Chinese government, not an intrusion of American values on Chinese life?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Well, I said I'd have some more information today regarding Mrs. Bob Iger (I'm sexist, let her sue me!) and, indeed, thanks partly to some very kind folks here, I do.

Let's start here: Willow's hiring was very contentious as she was up for the job multiple times and always stood out as sorta a reality TV 'star' in a room of great actors. She hasn't endeared herself to many long-time faculty in her time on the job. In particular, two tenured professors at Annenberg have not been reserved in their criticism of her and, more specifically, the situation with the HuffPo column that Bob Iger doesn't want Wall Street or YOU to read.

I'm going to limit my comments to what was discussed in emails that were forwarded (with permission) to me as I spoke briefly with one of the individuals this evening. Contrary to what some people want to believe, as usual, the HuffPo column isn't something only being discussed in 'trivial' places like this. It was brought up by faculty and students last week (while it was still online). The focus then was on the exporting of Americana and the difficulties TWDC has had in selling its BRAND overseas, most notably in China. On Monday, the topic of the day on campus at Annenberg was Willow Bay's very odd fashion statement on the Oscars red carpet.

No, I don't believe a single one of these people read MAGIC (even for my amazing insights), but I've been wrong before. The discussion on the dress focused on whether it was appropriate for 1.) The Director of the Annenberg School of Journalism; and 2.) The spouse of the head of the largest media company in the world; and 3.) Anyone at the Academy Awards.

The Oscars represent formal night for the industry. There is no more respected showcase for achievement than the Oscars. Willow was as out of place as the sweaty theme park goers in their tees at the California Grill. Maybe even more so.

From what I was told, her choice was panned across the board (guess those folks don't robo tweet or read tweets by all the business writers who 'need' access to her husband). And many, who knew how much she campaigned to not be associated with Bob or 'his' company found her motivations to be odd at the very least.

The disappearing column was raised in at least one lecture that I have been made aware of. Both faculty members made it clear that they don't see her roles as ''being compatible'' -- Director of the School/Editor of the HuffPo/Wife of Bob Iger.

They believe she was ''active'' in whatever went down that resulted in the column ''Disney CEO Fumbles Entry to China'' disappearing (that word is a direct quote from one of them, hence the double quote marks). To these well-respected professors, the simple appearance that she could have had any part in censoring an opinion piece that made her husband look bad reinforces the concerns that many faculty members had when she was brought in as a 'vanity hire' and before when she was passed over. The Huffington Post deleting a column critical of TWDC's Chairman and CEO and its Senior Editor's husband.

To these academics, those dots are very easy to connect and very ''problematic'' to USC. An important note, whether these accusations are true is not pertinent to these professors, it's the fact she appears guilty because she has obvious conflicts of interest that never should have been allowed to happen. One went so far to state that if she were Bob Iger's ex-wife or an ex-editor at the HuffPo that this would still look ''untoward'' as she would have/has an interest in both. They are also uncomfortable (in this era of media consolidation) that Bob is the de facto head of ABC News. On the heels of the Brian Williams/NBC saga and the ongoing Bill O"Reilly/FOX scandal, looks do matter.

All of this makes me think that if this is being discussed openly in classes at USC that this is even bigger than I thought.

And, for those playing at home, I've been pretty consistent in telling you that this is huge. This is something that actually could lead to Bob Iger having to step down ... he's already lost face in China. What might he lose next?

phillip sugarman

Everyone should start a trend on twitter, and tweet about the Huffington Post article that has been removed by Willow Bay. If it starts trending on Twitter, Disney wouldn't be able to censor every single journalist that wants to pick up the story. It really is a shame when the first amendment rights of journalists are being scrapped by corporations that have motives of their own. We need to set an example and make it so journalists don't have to worry about getting censored because of their content. #firewillowbay #protectjournalistsrights
Lets start a trend.

"Disney CEO Fumbles Entry to China" is a prime example of a journalist losing their first amendment rights. #firewillowbay #firstamendment
https://twitter.com/dodgerfan4life9

Last edited:

Cousin Huet

I liked old Willow on NBA Inside Stuff when I was a kid but I just watched a clip and boy was she bad.....Ahmad carried her on his back. It's a shame she has joined the Darkside of the force in media. Anyways, Drazen Petrovic was awesome.....gone too soon.

Hasn't Iger already announced he is stepping down basically? Nevermind.....I see he has done that several times now.....only to keep extending......guess he wants to ride some of the Star Wars and Marvel wave still.

Last edited:

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
So, still waiting ... anyone got an excuse for why Disney hasn't released one picture of Bob Iger or any top exec at SDL in the last four years?

Anyone watch that YouTube video and think that he appeared comfortable and confident and didn't look impotent and afraid?

Anyone ...

I take great joy in posting this so I'm going to post it again... Maybe we should caption it?

eisner.jpg

MDE: Ni Hao Bob, nice new coaster!

tirian

So, still waiting ... anyone got an excuse for why Disney hasn't released one picture of Bob Iger or any top exec at SDL in the last four years?

Anyone watch that YouTube video and think that he appeared comfortable and confident and didn't look impotent and afraid?

Anyone ...

After reading the Chinese media story about how Westerners are ruining young Chinese morals and business owners need to maintain strong links to the government, maybe Iger did have a rifle pointed at him *just* offstage. (Thank you for the link, NY Times.)

bhg469

I liked old Willow on NBA Inside Stuff when I was a kid but I just watched a clip and boy was she bad.....Ahmad carried her on his back. It's a shame she has joined the Darkside of the force in media. Anyways, Drazen Petrovic was awesome.....gone too soon.

Hasn't Iger already announced he is stepping down basically? Nevermind.....I see he has done that several times now.....only to keep extending......guess he wants to ride some of the Star Wars and Marvel wave still.
I totally forgot she was on that show!! Poor Ahmad!

NearTheEars

1. The Oscars represent formal night for the industry. There is no more respected showcase for achievement than the Oscars. Willow was as out of place as the sweaty theme park goers in their tees at the California Grill. Maybe even more so.
Considering some of the other unfashionable, revealing and scandalous attire that has graced the Oscars Zred carpet on the industry's biggest night, I think Miss Willow was dressed rather conservatively. Scandal aside, why would this statement dress be any different than one with a wide neckline dipping well past a woman's midsection? Both are drawing attention, just for different reasons. And the cameras flash away for both.

But anyway, if your accusations are true, Willow should step down immediately. And Mr. Iger may have to seek an early retirement.

P.S. Does anyone else think "Willow Bay" sounds like a name that would be painted in script on the back of a mid-sized yacht?

RSoxNo1

Spirited Twitter Update:

Everyone, drop what you are doing (unless you are carrying a baby or fine wine!). Head to Twitter, type in Disney CEO (without the Fumbles Entry to China).

See what you'll get ...leave it open for a minute or so, so they appear after the pinned ones ... what you'll see are who knows how many robotic Tweets, all the same, all about Willow Bay's dress at the Oscars, all from accounts that serve one purpose: corporate propaganda. Oh, just to be clear, not only Disney. I don't even think these people actually exist. Just look at the feeds.

Then say that there isn't a concerted effort to take over the entire narrative in social media.

You see, Bob Iger and Disney couldn't have done what they are doing now (censoring a message on the failures in their ability to spread their BRAND in China) in the days before Twitter, before Facebook, before the iPhone etc. This an example of why the information age can be a very, very bad thing in the wrong hands.

May be back later ...
This is actually the first post I see:
Iger.jpg

However, the Yoda dress is all over it.

RobBlock

Oh, one quick question for y'all: Did Disney get that YouTube video removed yet?

The one where Bob looks like someone is holding a gun to his head just off screen.

Wow, that was incredibly painful to watch. The obviously scripted sections and the parts where he is fumbling for words are bad enough. But his overall lack of passion and enthusiasm is not what I want to see from a CEO discussing the biggest project in his company.

OSUgirl77

Thank you! I knew I used to watch her on something, but couldn't remember what it was and never got around to looking it up. That was a long time ago...

BrerJon

Wow, that was incredibly painful to watch. The obviously scripted sections and the parts where he is fumbling for words are bad enough. But his overall lack of passion and enthusiasm is not what I want to see from a CEO discussing the biggest project in his company.

He's terrible at improvising answers isn't he? That's the kind of unsure performance that would lose a candidate an election debate big time.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Anyone ...

No and I think his chinese masters have him on quite a tight leash and my personal thought is that 800 million was Shendi upping the ante for Disney's 'participation' in the joint venture, Would not be surprised to see another 'attraction upgrade' budget approved,

Interestingly enough the symbol for Shanghai Shendi is SHSDIZ.

Goofyernmost

Anyone ...
Perhaps the drug store that they took that roll of film to for developing, lost it in transit. Hey, it could happen! At one time it was a pretty common occurrence.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Free press is on life support. We get the stories they choose for us to hear, not news. This type of manipulated media goes way past Bob and Willow. ABC seems to almost encourage it, lol

ABC News executive producer Ian Cameron is married to Susan Rice, National Security Advisor

ABC News & Univision reporter Matthew Jaffe is married to Katie Hogan, Obama's Deputy Press Secretary

ABC News correspondent Claire Shipman is married to former White house Press Secretary Jay Carney

CNN’s deputy Washington bureau chief, Virginia Moseley, is married to Tom Nides, who was deputy secretary of state under Hillary Rodham Clinton

The list goes on and on. No different than the revolving door politics that goes unchecked for the most part. Foxes watching the hen house.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom