A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

I believe I said something along the same lines along with the provincial government sending out bills for expended 7.62x39 cartridges. If we did the same thing I don't think we'd have so much corruption in DC and the 'Street
Well, it can only end 2 ways.
They will end in being executed.. or end like Mexico, where all the levels are equally corrupt and each other pat each other in the back. (aka perfect corruption circle, so each bad guy protects each other on the 3 government powers)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Late Night Quickees:

So a few days ago the USC school newspaper, the Daily Trojan, does a story and this is the lede: "On Tuesday, the Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism hosted Bob Iger, chairman and CEO of Disney, and Graydon Carter, editor of Vanity Fair, in a discussion about the management of iconic media brands in the digital age and the future of magazines."

That event was hosted by Willow Bay naturally in her role as the head of the USC journalism school. The story failed to mention that, indeed, she was hosting her husband. Look, I get this fear of sexism in the workplace and how women have come so far and still have so far to go yada, yada, get in my kitchen barefoot and pregnant. But how ... HOW ... is it somehow more important to NOT mention that she is interviewing/hosting HER HUSBAND ... how can that not be relevant? Seriously. is wrong with people.

So, Disney is actively working to scrub the Internet clean of the HuffPo story ''Disney CEO Fumbles Entry to China'' by Gary Snyder, a member of Sumner Redstone's clan of crazies. Why? Well, it could be that the story is big in ... China ... namely all over. Boy, Bob, I've seen folks with skin grafts after serious burns with thicker skin than you.

Somebody please explain this to me because I don't get it. I've read the column numerous times. I've talked to sources. And still, I have no clue to the real reason. A friend tonight suggested that it might have been a preemptive act out of fear over what Iger thought was coming next. I honestly don't know. But I so want to because clearly he's spooked.

I'd encourage anyone who hates censorship, cares about Disney and wonders what is going on with both this story and the $800 million in 'SDL expansion and attraction' funds that isn't going to either to email the story (not the dead links) to Robert.A.Iger@Disney.com and maybe CC to Trish.Vega@Disney.com (she's one of Tom's top assistants) and why not send to Jay.Rasulo@disney.com and Zenia.Mucha@Disney.com as well. If you really care and aren't afraid that Disney will take your vinylmations away for asking fair questions. They love hearing from fans and love each and every one of you. They'd nurse you nightly if they could!:eek::devilish::greedy:

Finally, I really enjoyed this post from clsteve on the DIS boards (where this apparently is news as well) as to what he thinks went down between Bob and beloved:

"Willow...?!?!"

"Yes, Bob?"

"Did you read this..?!?"

"No, Bob"

"Read it"

"Wow, Bob. That's not good..."

"Fire the guy...!!"

"I'm at USC, now. I'm not running the show at HuffPo anymore..."

"Make a call..."

"Yes, Bob..."

WDW1974

Original Poster
One Last Quickee:

Anyone recall Roy E. Disney's impassioned speech during the Save Disney days in 2004 in Philly? How much he HATED the word BRAND being used by MDE? How he said ''you brand cattle.''? How he felt Disney was unique and special and needed to remain that way in the marketplace because that, above all else, differentiated it from everyone else.

Yeah, if you wanna get drunk fast on a cold Saturday night, put on an interview with Bob Iger and throw back a shot everytime Bob utters the word 'BRAND' ... you'll be passed out from alcohol poisoning in 15 minutes easily.

BrianLo

I actually like Disney's play in China. I think it's a good move by the company. Disney is not a well-established brand in China. A successful theme park in Shanghai could open opportunities that pay dividends across all business segments.

Ha ha, no fears, we are still on the same page. I fully admit to turning into *that* resident HDKL fanboi. o_O

It's all very much a matter of Disney blaming whatever they well please to the stockholders to fit their agenda. Last year it is Euro Disney, this year it is Hong Kong, next year it will be Shanghai or WDW/DLR if they decide to start investing in them again.

I also agree that whether or not Disney is a well known brand in China, the time is ripe to shove a IP beach-head in the mainland and see what happens...

If nothing else, I have a great theme park to visit in 2016.

Last edited:

BrianLo

The latest satellite photo (taken within the last few months) shows nothing happening in the plot assigned to Toy Story. This meshes with the official birdseye also omitting Toy Story, so maybe Playland has been dropped from the menu (a good thing, IMO). Or perhaps it could be built from scratch in a year's time at China speed. We'll see.

Additionally, the sat pic shows that Voyage to the Crystal Grotto has been shortened (a reverse segment, like Maelstrom's, appears to have been cut) from the earlier plan.

Absolutely, I agree that as of today we have yet to see anything new, let alone Toy Story (which was on Spirit's "menu" last year). I also agree it is for the best, the Chinese have no real afininity to Toy Story, and it's already been done in HKDL.

On a separate note... how did we know what the Crystal Grotto track segment was supposed to look like? I don't think I've been privy to those plans (my PM is always open :angelic:)

BrerJon

This thread got a whole lot more interesting/on-topic than cheese-steak sandwiches, measles and the 'subjective' experience of weather.

I hope we keep it that way through the weekend...

When you have a thread frequented by a lot of people who work in media, news and journalism, a juicy bit of investigative journalism like this - especially with an inside baseball twist - is going to get the sharks stirring in the water, that's for sure.

matt9112

Well, it can only end 2 ways.
They will end in being executed.. or end like Mexico, where all the levels are equally corrupt and each other pat each other in the back. (aka perfect corruption circle, so each bad guy protects each other on the 3 government powers)

7.62x39 is a great cartridge too bad its only seen as something used in the east and by criminals...

The Mom

Premium Member
Exactly what are you trying to say?

He's presenting a counter-point to a previous poster who painted a large segment of society with a broad brush - it's easier to deal with the world when you think all ______________(insert the name of any group of people you dislike) are the same in how they act and think. That way you don't have to look at people as individuals. Cuts down on having to think all the time. ;)

Nubs70

Sadly, there are ways for someone to insulate themselves from FCPA prosecution. :(

The Chinese government has come down hard on mostly low-level officials for taking bribes but the practice is widespread. We're talking about tens-of-thousands of Chinese officials being arrested for accepting bribes.

Perhaps the salient point is that senior-level government officials were once low-level government officials, and that low-level government officials become senior-level government officials by being particularly good at what they do. :eek:

Hypocrisy is not only practiced in the West.
Yes, if done properly, a shrewd individual can grease palms and avoid prosecution. But the timeline of this event raises questions.

• First, a critical story is published.
  • Critical story is pulled.
  • Multiple puff pieces follow not addressing the content of the original critical story.
  • Critical author is thrown overboard with author's credibility put into question.
  • Google archives are scrubbed of original critical story.
Yet, the original question has not been addressed. Where did the $800MM go?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
7.62x39 is a great cartridge too bad its only seen as something used in the east and by criminals...

The Rompin Stompin Red Army seems to agree with you as it was the standard cartridge for Warsaw Pact militaries, The criminal element likes it because of the arms bazzaar known as the middle east where locally produced AK pattern weapons are sold cheaply with no questions or serial numbers.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yes, if done properly, a shrewd individual can grease palms and avoid prosecution. But the timeline of this event raises questions.

• First, a critical story is published.
  • Critical story is pulled.
  • Multiple puff pieces follow not addressing the content of the original critical story.
  • Critical author is thrown overboard with author's credibility put into question.
  • Google archives are scrubbed of original critical story.
Yet, the original question has not been addressed. Where did the $800MM go?

Makes me wonder whether China is changing terms, To quote Darth Vader "I am altering the terms of the deal, Pray that I don't alter them any further..."

But I think Iger just made a huge mistake, Now since this came from the Redstone camp IF they are truly interested in a shooting war with TWDC, They can now say we published an OpEd piece in independent media so the articles would not be seen as a competitive issue.

Now the Redstone's have the moral high ground about how Disney is suppressing stories which question their business practices which should be ratings gold for CBS etc and TWDC is on the defensive as how can you defend this type of action.

If Disney had published rebuttal articles or sued the author they might have achieved the effect of killing the story or blunting it's effect. Instead they went the coverup route which to many on the 'Street will confirm that the stories were indeed true SINCE DISNEY DID NOT SUE.

It really makes one wonder about the content of those articles as I'm sure TWDC could have found a tame judge to issue an injunction temporarily taking those stories offline, That they did not choose this route makes me wonder whats under hiding under the rug.

Beautiful Bob and TWDC are about to reap the whirlwind.

Last edited:

Nubs70

To sue would not be in Disney's best interest as this would allow for discovery that could lead to even more questions.

A rebuttal article would just keep the story alive without answering the $800MM question.

Best thing Bob could do is call Imagineering, whip up plans for $800MM in "attractions", unveil plans in Disney Springs style unveiling, then kill the plans in 11-13 months.

As for the "change in terms", very well may have happened. In the cultural practice of "saving face" and not offending the partners, a payment for what and to whom was made.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
To sue would not be in Disney's best interest as this would allow for discovery that could lead to even more questions.

A rebuttal article would just keep the story alive without answering the $800MM question.

As for the "change in terms", very well may have happened. In the cultural practice of "saving face" and not offending the partners, a payment for what and to whom was made.

True, However a US company cannot simply take 800 Million dollars and not account to the shareholders for it and expect no questions, This is the US not Asia, When TWDC trades on the Hang Seng instead of the NYSE they can do their accounting and accountability Asian style, Till then they are bound by US law and custom.

EPCOTCenterLover

I haven't been to Mainland China, so I can't really comment on that, but you see a lot of Westerners (probably not Americans) in Hong Kong. In Macau, the only other area of China (still just a SAR) I've visited, it was decidedly more Eastern, but I'm guessing still with more of a Western flavor than the mainland. Even HKDL feels decidedly more Westernized than TDR. I know this has nothing to do with park demographics, maps, and all that, but figured I'd at least offer my 2 cents before asking about this HuffPo article...

This is the first I've heard of it. What I'm gleaning from this thread is that there was something critical of TWDC in Shanghai (I'm "shocked" by the way) in the HuffPo, and the article was "inexplicably" pulled? Anyone happen to save a copy or have a link to any sites that reposted it?

Here you go:http://insightsandsounds.blogspot.com/2015/02/the-amazing-disappearing-article-disney.html

Nubs70

True, However a US company cannot simply take 800 Million dollars and not account to the shareholders for it and expect no questions, This is the US not Asia, When TWDC trades on the Hang Seng instead of the NYSE they can do their accounting and accountability Asian style, Till then they are bound by US law and custom.
This is very true unless shareholders let it slide or government becomes interested. A large disaffected shareholder could call for an investigation. Didn't a certain prince just get yanked over on DLP?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This is very true unless shareholders let it slide or government becomes interested. A large disaffected shareholder could call for an investigation. Didn't a certain prince just get yanked over on DLP?

Yes Sheikh Alwaleed I'm pretty sure he's not happy because it just cost him a huge chunk of money to hold on to his bit of Paris real estate.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Account for it? They will. Break it down into how/where/why? Nope... Not unless they feel the need to appease something. And unless you get the institutionals... Disney doesnt care about you. And given the recent stock performance... Chances of starting a witchhunt with the institutionals? Zero

Very little is required to be disclosed

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom