A Spirited Perfect Ten

PhotoDave219

How is it not automatic get kicked out from the park if your caught or seen letting your child urinate over the bridge, on a ride or in a bush? There are bathrooms everywhere. Why would Disney want people like that in their parks? If their willing to disrespect the parks and pee on stuff, they are willing to do worse things as well.

Fantastic questions. Security cant be everywhere.

tirian

On one level you are correct. Now try having 40,000 slobs a day go tramping through your house and tell me how clean it stays, no matter how hard you try.

I also wonder about those rides that you listed. Dumbo... really? Should children not be considered at all? And having ridden the 7DMT just last week, I want to tell you that although short it is not a ride that any "kiddie" would do well on without an adult. Again except for the duration (which I'm pretty sure is longer then RcRC) it is not a kiddie ride and the intensity, although not through the roof, is on the same scale as BTMR and the swaying cars do add to it by quite a bit. I looked at a lot of things in the past week. Things that have been repeatedly been cited and complained about by all the gloom and doomers that frequent the boards. I looked for lights that were out, couldn't find any. I looked for ride components that weren't working. I found a couple, but, none that even slightly diminished the quality or overall enjoyment of it. I rode, in the front seat of Pirates and had the mist with the pirate, saw the swimming mermaids, got splashed on the drop, did not get held up even at unload and it was a busy day. Now out of all those things I will concede that even though I didn't get "soaked", I did get splashed more then I think is reasonable. Now for those with the argument that "it's a boat ride", so is Small World and I don't expect to get wet on it nor after all these years of operation do I expect to on Pirates. The public isn't laughing and reacting like they do on Splash mountain and Kali River. It is something that absolutely should not be happening on Pirates and hopefully with the six month rehab that is scheduled for it that problem will be fixed. We will have to wait to see on that one.

Other then that. The parks were exceptionally clean, I saw custodial crews everywhere I looked, with their white uniforms, brooms and dust pans and they were working. There were wonderful looking flower beds and well groomed trees and grass. I found the restrooms to be clean (not that I used everyone of them) and I too, because of an injury need to sit to get my knee and hip to stop hurting and never failed to find a place to do so.

Having just been there I am calling BS on a whole lot of the garbage that is being tossed about in some sort of righteous anger that is unjustified. I will also remind everyone that I am not a newbie, all smitten with bright lights along with smoke and mirrors. I have been going there for 31 years, as an adult, and I cannot remember a time, sans current construction projects, that WDW has looked better. It is possible that Disney has gotten the message because it sure seems different to me even down to the attitudes of the CM which has greatly improved.

It makes me sometimes wonder if those that are the most vocal about this stuff have been there lately or are they latching onto the perceptions of others as if they could not be wrong. Let me tell you it has been a long time coming that Disney actually got off their bonus enlarged rear-ends and decided to do something for the parks. Let's at least acknowledge what they are doing and not bury it under a pile of unsubstantiated verbiage designed to make themselves seem more knowledgeable then everyone else.

I feel compelled to pipe in here because I worked for the company seven years and just returned from a trip yesterday.

WDW is definitely being improved in many areas. Is it the "best it's ever been"? No. That honor belongs to the late 80s and early 90s, when each year welcomed multiple blockbuster attractions and maintenance was at an all-time high. (D-MGM, Norway, WoL Pavilion, Splash, AE, fully functioning EPCOT Center, fully functioning MK, Spectromagic, PI, various resorts—Great Scott!)

But last week, WDW was shining like it hasn't for over a decade. Animatronics were moving smoothly. The new-ish FoF day parade is fantastic. Overall maintenance (except for IASW) was superb. I contend that with its short ride time, SDMT is dangerously a near-miss; but its atmosphere is worthy of TDS, and the kiddie coaster will be more enjoyable when the initial hype wears off and it doesn't command two-hour waits. I couldn't be happier to see the BAH come down. The updated Illuminations is better than any other Disney night show, including World of Color. My heavily discounted room at the Boardwalk was in good shape.

WDW still has areas that need improvement. Epcot needs to regain its EPCOT Center vitality, and a cartoon shoehorned into the tiniest WS pavilion isn't going to help Future World. And after years of price hikes, everything is finally too d@mn expensive. I cannot justify the merchandise prices, lousy QS food, limited sit-down menus, and ticket prices. I regret purchasing the DDP because I had to keep ordering huge meals to break even on the price. As many of us have suspected, FP+ is a disaster. It's a complete, utter failure. The FP system is too complicated; it crashes at least once a month; the most recent downtime wasn't its worst ever. MyMagic+ is a billion-dollar waste of resources, and I'm shocked Wall Street hasn't demanded someone's head for this. Much of the infrastructure is already going obsolete (remember, high-end tech only has about a 4-year lifespan.) The MK could've had a massive expansion with two real E-tickets, Epcot could have fixed Imagination and broken ground on a new WS pavilion, and the execs could have had bigger bonuses with all the money wasted on MyMagic+.

However...

The entire resort is not falling apart like it was a few years ago. Things are definitely on an upswing. I agree with @Goofyernmost that WDW is acting like a world-class resort again. He still needs some scrubbing, but Mickey is finally getting a much-needed bath.

Last edited:

Phil12

Now the Streisand effect will kick in because it's gone, Shows that Iger still does not get the Interwebz thing, Before it was simply a hit piece, now it's a legend 'what was so important the HuffPo pulled it'.
They did more than just pull the hit piece. They pulled all of his articles and he was booted out the door. I think his credentials may have been suspect.

Lee

Adventurer
I'd be more than annoyed if my professional credibility was questioned.
Oh...I must've missed that part.
If that's the case...yes, I'm sure there is a battle brewin'.

I think his credentials may have been suspect.
I don't think that's the case.
I think he hit a little too close to home for Bob. If all his work has been pulled...it's a hit job.

Bad move Bob. Now we can all assume (if we didn't already) that the article was dead on.

Last edited:

Phil12

I think he hit a little too close to home for Bob. If all his work has been pulled...it's a hit job.

Bad move Bob. Now we can all assume (if we didn't already) that the article was dead on.
Or, it could be that the HuffPost found that the author had some sort of credential problems.

tirian

Does anybody want to post it to MiceChat? I don't have an account there.

Maybe HuffPost found out the author was a Republican?

WDW1974

Original Poster
What a frigid and utterly bizarre day in the Disney UNIverse. Truly.

I know I said recently that I wasn't going to talk about China for a while, for personal reasons (nothing Disney related), but when Bob Iger uses his wife's position as a board member at the Huffington Post to get a story (an Op-Ed at that) pulled from the site because of ... well, I'll talk about my suspicions in a bit, I just have to pipe in.

Censorship makes me sick. You know how I get when Marcia takes away my fanboi jokes!

First, although I wouldn't claim the HuffPo is a great news outlet by any means, this is a prime example of how powerful people influence the media and what you get to read about and see. And it happens every day, all across this country.

Second, it was confirmed to me that Willow Bay, indeed, had the story pulled (thru an intermediary, naturally, as one must have a fall person). That is sickening beyond belief because not only does she have a Weatherman for a husband, but she is head of the prestigious USC Annenberg School of Journalism (where two nights ago she conducted a seminar with none other than her husband as the guest).

One must wonder what exactly was so damaging to Bob/Disney's dealings in China that he was willing to put his wife's reputation and position on the line and take on a member of the Redstone family to do it. People outside of the media may not understand, but the Redstone family controls/owns the majority of the Viacom and CBS corps. and will do so for the next two generations unless they decide to sell. Bob Iger is simply Disney's highest manager, a CEO who owns nothing but a chunk of stock to make sure his family will live lavishly for the next two generations. That's a big difference.

So, what exactly was it that Bob doesn't want you or, much more likely, Wall Street analysts to read so badly?

I have a few theories (not in any particular order):

1.) There's been a lot of talk about Viacom being acquired by other companies (again, this can not happen without Redstone family approval, no matter the wishes of stockholders, Wall Street or anyone else). What if Viacom is pursuing one of Disney's BRANDS? Recall all the talk when Disney was just looking into shopping a portion of P&R around. What if Viacom wants ESPN or Marvel?;

2.) The story deftly mentions the huge issue of graft and how the Communist Party is dealing with it (hint: lots of firing squads). It is on the news in China nightly and they have even gone after their own top companies and celebrities (the NYT had a story on this last week). Now, where did that $800 million dollars go because it sure didn't go into added attractions for SDL. Just to be clear: Iger is lying when he says so.;

3.) Disney isn't known much on the mainland and Bob doesn't want people to know back home that no one there is clamoring for Mickey Mouse or Buzz Lightyear or even The Sheep from Mary Poppins (yes, Disney announced a little bit about SDL's Garden of the 12 Friends last Friday and completely buried it in the USA).;

4.) Is it just a matter of Bob's pride being hurt because Disney, as the author pointed out, may have been in Hong Kong longer than the company has had theme parks, yet Viacom properties like Spongebob and Dora are far more widely seen on children and their clothing, toys etc. That's in an area that was a British colony when plans for HKDL started. An area where Disney has been very much in the public eye. The biggest film at the box office in the mainland last year? Not Frozen. Not a Disney release. Not a Chinese film. But Paramount's Transformers (again, owned by Viacom). It was also No. 1 in HK, by the way. I believe it is the top grossing film of all-time in the mainland, but I'm too lazy to check right now;

5.)Is it just CEO jealousy and pettiness? Viacom was the first western media company to gain a foothold in the mainland when China began opening itself up. The Chinese love characters like Sumner Redstone. They don't like tightly wound American business suits like Bob Iger. (I know a bit more about this subject because I have worked and lived over there).

I don't know why the column was pulled. My source doesn't either. Something really bothered Bob (which puts a huge smile on my face because any discomfort brought to that man sorta makes me happy!) I've read it over a few times and really am not sure what exactly it was because, frankly, there is so much more to Disney's dealings over there that could be said and wasn't.

But if I were Bob, I sure as hell wouldn't get into a urinating contest with a member of that family, let alone while using his wife's position to do so. Stuff like that is just asking for trouble. If I were one of the kewl kids here, I might put a popcorn chomping smiley up. But I'm not. But I think something big started today. Very big.

the.dreamfinder

In other news, MyNews13 has joined the charts game with our own @ParentsOf4.
image.jpg

WDW1974

Original Poster
Unless you have BEEN there as @WDW1974, myself and a few others on this forum you cannot appreciate HOW different China is, My recommendation check your western expectations and attitudes at the border, Disney is likely to fall on their face here and 'lose face'.

The concept of 'face' in China is probably the most important for an outsider to understand.

This is so true and there is still so much more.

People, and especially American business people, do not get the cultural complexities of doing business over there. They see all those people and a HUGE (compared to ours, but tiny considering the size of their country) middle class and just see dollar signs. And they take the fact that the Chinese do like or love many of our exports to mean that they want to be us. They don't. Like us? Sure, in some ways. But that isn't how companies like Disney (and they aren't alone) go in.

Most pay lip service to the culture and norms over there and then wonder why they ever entered the market to start with. I'd actually say that Yum Brands, GM and McDonald's are the three that have fared the best over the long haul, although Apple is becoming quite popular too.

As to face, well, let's just say that Disney lost plenty after Iger took over the negotiations from Eisner and I still stand on my opinion that SDL wouldn't be happening at all now if our economic collapse of 2007-08 (and counting) didn't start having major repurcussions on China's economy. Look at when that deal was finalized. Look at how the job creation was a big push by Disney.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Finally...something worth talking about.
I like this bit:

A diminished product. A "McKingdom".
I wonder if the desire to avoid that sort of impression in Shanghai played a part in that mystery $800million that was allocated late in the game.
Surely that money is going to additional attractions. Isn't it? Maybe? :cautious:

But that's just it. He won't ... maybe that's why he paid the $800 million in China!

American corps don't play by the rules that citizens do or that mom and pop business owners do. Now, I know someone will come in and talk laws and regulations and how they must follow them and all I'll hear is the teacher talking to Charlie Brown!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom