A Spirited Perfect Ten

flynnibus

Premium Member
Meanwhile at Disneyland.........
View attachment 83681
Benches all around the center of the hub. I was a little surprised tbh.

Yes, but they are unavailable for large periods as people camp out for parades or fireworks :( I think the hub ones are roped off as handicapped seating during fireworks too.

On the last trip, I was like man.. I need a break.. and it was like an hour+ till the parade and people were already hording the benches :(

I was seriously considering asking city hall what it would take to get to the handicapped seating.. but fought it out.. but paid the price later that night.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I think the attitude is that when you're paying over $100 a day entry for dirty and broken down carnival rides, and several hundred dollars for more for a hotel room that Motel 6 would take off inventory, then you've paid for the right to pee anywhere you **** well like.
Honest Question: Is this your opinion of what the parks are, or what you believe the opinion of a segment of the guests to be?

COProgressFan

I don't think the original poster was saying he agreed with it, but that this is the attitude many guests take.

And you can't necessarily blame them. As has been discussed on these boards, when people shell out outrageous sums of money for mediocre experiences and products, receive poor service, deal with all the complications and overscheduling associated with MM+, and feel Mickey trying to reach his hand into their wallet all week, they don't always respond well.

If guests don't feel the love from Disney, why should they return the sentiment? It absolutely relates to poor guest behavior.

When we start excusing bad behavior of people because the same people make bad judgements we are doomed as a society. Wait. We already do. My bad.

In no way am I excusing guests' poor behavior. I think Disney backs down from ejecting guests from the parks way more often than they should. Most of their rules go enforced. Urinating in a public space, whether an adult or child, is never acceptable. So we're in agreement there.

My point was simply that this behavior should not be entirely all that surprising. If Disney treats its customers poorly, the customers are more than happy to return the favor (even if not consciously).

Understanding why certain behavior happens is by no means an endorsement for said behavior.

jakeman

In no way am I excusing guests' poor behavior. I think Disney backs down from ejecting guests from the parks way more often than they should. Most of their rules go enforced. Urinating in a public space, whether an adult or child, is never acceptable. So we're in agreement there.

My point was simply that this behavior should not be entirely all that surprising. If Disney treats its customers poorly, the customers are more than happy to return the favor (even if not consciously).

Understanding why certain behavior happens is by no means an endorsement for said behavior.
I've got to disagree here. It should be surprising, especially from an adult.

We aren't wild animals. Regardless of how poor customer service is, urinating in public isn't an appropriate response.

There is absolutely no way Disney can treat a guest in manner where the "not surprising" response is public urination unless the failure of guest service involved flinging jellyfish at people.

TP2000

Yes, but they are unavailable for large periods as people camp out for parades or fireworks :( I think the hub ones are roped off as handicapped seating during fireworks too.

I'm confused here. I know you struggle with a back injury, but is your beef with Disneyland management that they still have dozens of benches in the Hub and that of the 50,000+ daily visitors too many people were using them? What would you have Disneyland management do, place signs on the benches that say you can't sit on this bench for more than 15 minutes, with CM's monitoring their use? :confused:

Or am I just being dense and not picking up on sarcasm? :)

They do corral about seven or eight benches into one spoke on the north side of the Hub for handicapped seating for fireworks. But the majority of Hub benches stay where they are for fireworks. I'm not sure why it would be a problem if people sit on them, even if they do want to sit there for an hour before the parade or fireworks start. If that's how those folks want to spend their Disneyland day, so be it. Less folks in front of me in line, I say.

There's also several patios with dozens and dozens of tables around Disneyland's Hub, with great fireworks viewing. That's the tiny Castle peeking between the two trees here. And look, even more benches in the walkways! Don't tell Orlando!
Outdoor-seating-Jolly-Holiday.jpg

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I assume this was a survey of financial analyst and not consumers.

Clarification edit: Meant as a dig at Comcast.
I assume this was a survey of financial analyst and not consumers.

Clarification edit: Meant as a dig at Comcast.

Management is more subjective, long term investment likely financial groups but financially sound isn't as subjective. Just look at the financial mess Disney created trying to launch Aulani a few years back or the cost over runs of My Disney Experience.

Comcast has to be pretty pleased with the 2015 list. Sadly Iger won't look past the praise for Management he'll put blinders on after that.

BrerJon

Honest Question: Is this your opinion of what the parks are, or what you believe the opinion of a segment of the guests to be?

The parks are definitely not maintained to the same standard they used to be, you only have to count the broken light bulbs to see that, and I'm sure many guests feel they've paid so much more money than what the experience is worth that they can check in civilised behaviour at the MyMagic turnstile.

It's the broken windows theory. If guests pay hundreds for a top class experience, they'll respect their surroundings and behave like civilised humans. If litter is left along the streets, animatronics not fixed, light bulbs burned out and attractions neglected, as is frequently the case in WDW, yet still that guest is paying hundreds, this sends a message to the guest that if Disney doesn't care about upholding standards at Disney, why should the guest?

There's no excuse for people to behave like animals, but many people do and I think the sense that they're being ripped off, that Disney in no way is remotely good value for money, contributes to a sense of entitlement that leads to people crossing the line into that kind of behaviour.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
The parks are definitely not maintained to the same standard they used to be, you only have to count the broken light bulbs to see that, and I'm sure many guests feel they've paid so much more money than what the experience is worth that they can check in civilised behaviour at the MyMagic turnstile.

It's the broken windows theory. If guests pay hundreds for a top class experience, they'll respect their surroundings and behave like civilised humans. If litter is left along the streets, animatronics not fixed, light bulbs burned out and attractions neglected, as is frequently the case in WDW, yet still that guest is paying hundreds, this sends a message to the guest that if Disney doesn't care about upholding standards at Disney, why should the guest?

There's no excuse for people to behave like animals, but many people do and I think the sense that they're being ripped off, that Disney in no way is remotely good value for money, contributes to a sense of entitlement that leads to people crossing the line into that kind of behaviour.
So, to answer my question, you feel that the park is dirty, broken down carnival rides and castoff Motel 6 rooms?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm confused here. I know you struggle with a back injury, but is your beef with Disneyland management that they still have dozens of benches in the Hub and that of the 50,000+ daily visitors too many people were using them? What would you have Disneyland management do, place signs on the benches that say you can't sit on this bench for more than 15 minutes, with CM's monitoring their use? :confused:

No - my point was even though they had all these benches - they weren't really available because people CAMP OUT ON THEM for hours of the day. It's not like everywhere you turn there is as many benches - the hub area is different in that in the park-like setting there is lots of seating. But the purpose is lost when its dominated for several hours a day by those camping out. Instead of the benches being used by people for 10-15mins... and multiple parties being able to use a single bench.. which is how most benches are used in public places... you have individuals hording the benches to simply SAVE A SPOT... effectively making the benches useless for large swaths of the day. It's rude.. just like those that split up and send a runner to get in line early, and then have the rest of their party join them... or those that think the chains in the queue are for everyone BUT them... etc etc.

And yes I have a problem with it.. the same way I had a problem with the campers in NOS making the riverfront look like a refugee camp. And no I don't subscribe to the 'if thats how they want to spend their day...' theory. I think FP for F! is a bit over the top, but at least they've done SOMETHING about Camp NOS.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Don't agree - it generally goes the other way around. Guests know Disney won't do anything about it. There is this mentality these days of "you can't afford to have me be a ed off customer" and people will be bold and demand their way because of it.

Where the failure in that example is IMO is simply that the guests did not feel comfortable enough approaching a CM for a solution to the problem before they boarded the boat. The delightful experience would be asking a CM and them letting you right back in line after you finish and return. But it takes an established trust to break down resistance to asking. Treat people like cattle instead of guests... and they won't have that trust.

Goofyernmost

And you can't necessarily blame them. As has been discussed on these boards, when people shell out outrageous sums of money for mediocre experiences and products, receive poor service, deal with all the complications and overscheduling associated with MM+, and feel Mickey trying to reach his hand into their wallet all week, they don't always respond well.

If guests don't feel the love from Disney, why should they return the sentiment? It absolutely relates to poor guest behavior.
I suppose in a non-civilized nation like the U.S. that type of behavior is acceptable. I guess that also means that if I actually do pay $100.00 for a single day ticket then I can probably pee in the bushes twice as much as those that bought the length of stay type and pay $50.00 a day. (or less)

If nothing else has ever been discussed endlessly on the boards it is the obsession with germs that seems to have even the most intellectual people in a tail spin. Or one cannot smoke in the parks because of the pure fact that if people so much as walk within 50 ft. of a smoker, they will find themselves, the next week, in an oxygen tent fighting for their life because of the lung cancer that they contracted negotiating the cloud. But, it is OK for people to pee in the bushes because they paid, voluntarily, $100.00 a day to be participating in everything that the parks offer? What a sad world we live in. What a sad philosophy, apparently embraced by Disney, that doing that comes with no reaction one way or the other.

However, like so many things on the discussion boards, I suspect that the actual number of times that happens, usually with a child that produces about an ounce, is exaggerated to the limit to make a point. Either way, justifying it, is still a sadder statement about the rest of us then the people that actually may or may not be offenders.

BrerJon

So, to answer my question, you feel that the park is dirty, broken down carnival rides and castoff Motel 6 rooms?

I'm exaggerrating a little sure but I definitely get the feeling that - depending on maintenance standards - MK can get very dirty, compared to what it used to be like, or compared to Anaheim or Tokyo, and whether it's actual carnival rides like Toy Story Playland, Chester and Hester, double Dumbo or the Magic Carpets, kiddie coasters like the Mine Train or neglected and broken shells of former greatness like Pirates, many of the rides don't exactly offer a unique and high quality experience either.

As for the hotel rooms, the All-Star rooms don't really offer anything a Motel 6 room doesn't, but when you pay three times the price, I bet some guests expect a bit more when they arrive.

Basically my point is the WDW of 2015 is rarely a four star quality experience, yet it charges four star prices to people who don't know better, and it's that disconnect between the price paid and the experience received that can often make guests do strange things.

Or do you think that most guests find them very clean and great value for money? I guess everyone has different mileage on that one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom