A Spirited Perfect Ten

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
But they all think they'll get they're money back by renting it out the rest of the year--that market was never that big to begin with.

Actually they probably WILL get it back, With a couple weeks per month of rental and depreciation it's relatively easy to recoup the investment and make a modest profit.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Hmmmmm. After leaving Orlando, i'ce noticed that there really aren't as many strollers or screaming Children in this world that I thought. Like I go to the store or the mall or the supermarket and it's not wall to wall strollers running into me. I get on the MetroRail and the car Is not packed with strollers. (Smoke yes, children no).

It's a refreshing change.
There's a simple explanation. Disney is full of strollers because it's huge. My youngest just turned 5 and the last time he was in a stroller he was 3 and at WDW. We talked about either bringing or renting a stroller this summer on our next trip. We decided not to bring one, but I definitely considered it. He wouldn't be caught dead in a stroller at home. WDW is huge and involves a lot more walking than most kids normally do so it makes sense that they might want or need a stroller there but not at home.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
There's a simple explanation. Disney is full of strollers because it's huge. My youngest just turned 5 and the last time he was in a stroller he was 3 and at WDW. We talked about either bringing or renting a stroller this summer on our next trip. We decided not to bring one, but I definitely considered it. He wouldn't be caught dead in a stroller at home. WDW is huge and involves a lot more walking than most kids normally do so it makes sense that they might want or need a stroller there but not at home.

I tend to draw the line when I see a 8-9 y/o kid in a stroller, Just another manifestation of the 'virgin feet' syndrome exhibited by too many american children these days

DisDan

I think it depends on the convention. When you get something like a sales conference with a lot of young sales people it can get pretty crazy, but for a lot of business travelers they are looking for a good meal first and then a bar to hit afterwards, maybe with some live entertainment. People who travel frequently for work usually aren't going all out to party especially if they have important meetings the next morning. If the trip and conference is more of a "boondoggle" or a reward for being one of the top sales execs or something like that then the point is to party.

I agree on the stroller thing, but that's where I'm hoping the trend at DS could change (at least on the Landing). If these high end restaurants on the Landing primarily don't take DDP and don't feature a lot of things interesting to kids it may be a lot less of the stroller crowd, especially at night. Why go to Morimoto or a high end steakhouse and pay out of pocket when T-Rex and RFC both have lots for kids to do and take DDP. There will still be some of the stroller crowd there (they are harder to get rid of than bed bugs;)). I still think they should make the whole Landing 21+ after 9PM. Why not? There's still plenty for parents with kids to do in the rest of DS and it would make for a better "adult" environment.

Did you just compare families with children that use strollers to bed bugs?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Millard Fillmore Day Thoughts:

So, MM+ collapses yet again ... and on a holiday weekend ... and property wide ... and then does the same thing the next day and ponder these items:

A $2 billion plus boondoggle with absolutely no backups built in;
The man ultimately responsible for this just got elevated to COO of the company, the world's largest media and entertainment corp;
The man in charge of daily ops for WDW, the man charged with making sure tthings like this don't happen, has eyes on the top P&R prize.

Yep, this is a company heading in the right direction, sailing on smooth seas of ever increasing profits that will never end. Tell yourself that.

Speaking of Tom Staggs, it is scary, but if you look at what he's accomplished on his watch versus Jay Rasulo, he's a total and utter failure:

New Fantasyland at MK (build and opening);
Pandora at DAK;
NextGen;
SDL (most planning and all building);
Disney Springs;
More DVC;

(No, not going to give him any part of DCA 2.0 as that was all planned and budgeted and largely built by JR. Same with HKDL's three mini-lands and the two new cruise ships.)

It's like looking at the numbers that @ParentsOf4 rips apart here regularly. The bricks and mortar reality of what Staggs has accomplished in five years is pretty damning evidence that he is a total and utter failure in that position. Soak it in.

Loved SNL's 40th special last night. So much so that I wanted more. Hell, I enjoyed it more than some Emmys I've been too. Just amazing how much talent that show has bred.

So, saw there's a dude who has lots of money and time on his hands (he runs a hot sauce business, apparently ... and, no, I can't make this stuff up) who spent Valentine's Day at TDL, DL and MK to get pics in front of all three castles in one day. Says he is the first to do this (is that like in the Fanboi Book of Meaningless Records?) Look, I don't like people telling me how to spend my money, so I generally like to treat others as I'd like to be treated. Of course, I limit strongly what I tell strangers about what I spend my $$$ on. I'm glad he had fun, but I do think he's crazy. Oh, and technically he really didn't accomplish his feat because a day is not 28 hours, it's 24, even if the dateline says it's the same day. So, yeah, I fully expect him to try and do all three in 24 hours next year!

I really appreciate how well everyone has worked to keep this thread on the rails (no, I really don't give a darn how colleges are ranked and there's not even a remote tie to Disney or the business in it ... and telling people they aren't feeling 'freezing' just because the temp isn't below 32F or 0C is just crazy!)
Folks, just because someone makes a comment like ''I like grapes'' doesn't mean we have to have a six-page distraction on what country grows the best grapes and the composition of the soil in said locales. Sometimes, a comment is just that and you read it and move on ...

I admit today would be a perfect day to walk around WDW's best theme park: DAK.
(gotta get there fast before they remove every tree!)

BTW, slaughtering trees isn't just an issue in the swamps. DLR and DLP have been hacking down beautiful fully grown trees over the last year (from Condor Flats in Anaheim to Discoveryland in Paris, hack a tree is the word). What ever happened to the idea of spending the time and money to remove and relocate trees if you needed to take them out? These parks are starting to look like that 13-year-old in gym class who had a delayed puberty.

Final note: I received, and answered, a very interesting (telling?) survey from DLR last week. The questions are clearly telegraphing changes a coming (my guess is the AP program would be one thing). I'll post the questions and solicit your opinions when I have a bit more time. ... unless you want to fight over weather (my two cents worth for everyone not in FL and about winter: quit your higher paying jobs, sell your homes and move to the swamps where life is a MAGICal journey every day. You can live at theme parks and beaches every day and smile because it is 76 degrees on President's Day with blue sky and sun, so come on down ... homes from the mid-400s to well over $1 million are going up by the hundreds just west of the MK in what was pristine scrub and lake country. You can all live that way, right?...well, if you're a Lifestyler, you apparently can!)

PhotoDave219

(This is not aimed at you personally, so please... I mean no offense. I'm going to generalize)

Wouldn't children be better off actually getting exercise and strolling around the parks and burning off all the energy & sugar rather than being pushed around in a rickshaw?

Most people with strollers that I have seen were packed as if they were going on a five-day trek into the Amazon rain forrest. They pack that stroller like a mule with their stuff. I find society needs their stuff... not just basica survival stuff for a family of four (bottled water, diapers, snacks I totally understand) but straight up toys, stuffed animals, etc. Absolute comfort and nesting materials it seems... and things that apparently need to be left in a stroller for the savages to just steal for themselves.

I just don't get why people need to pack for survival - its a theme park and frankly MK is rather small, IMO.

MerlinTheGoat

@WDW1974 So is Staggs REALLY very likely to become the next CEO after Iger? I was under the impression that the board wasn't happy with anyone currently at the company, at least not Iger/Staggs/Rasulo and the other hacks like them? And that it's highly likely the board will look to outside the company next time.

I'm guessing whatever influence Eisner has now, he's probably campaigning for Staggs...

BTW, slaughtering trees isn't just an issue in the swamps. DLR and DLP have been hacking down beautiful fully grown trees over the last year (from Condor Flats in Anaheim to Discoveryland in Paris, hack a tree is the word). What ever happened to the idea of spending the time and money to remove and relocate trees if you needed to take them out? These parks are starting to look like that 13-year-old in gym class who had a delayed puberty.
Well they have to get trees for Canada's lumberjack show from somewhere...

For a company that loves hiding behind the "environmentally friendly" card as an excuse to reduce air conditioning in the parks (which i hadn't imagined was as bad as people made it out to be until a sweltering ride on Little Mermaid last year), Disney sure doesn't seem to have any problem with cutting trees down and multilating them for guests' "entertainment" (LMAO) at Canada. Meanwhile and somewhat ironically, Living with the Land is probably the ride currently in the worst condition at Epcot. Also "synthetic grass" at the new Main Street overhaul at MK... :banghead:

DisDan

(This is not aimed at you personally, so please... I mean no offense. I'm going to generalize)

Wouldn't children be better off actually getting exercise and strolling around the parks and burning off all the energy & sugar rather than being pushed around in a rickshaw?

Most people with strollers that I have seen were packed as if they were going on a five-day trek into the Amazon rain forrest. They pack that stroller like a mule with their stuff. I find society needs their stuff... not just basica survival stuff for a family of four (bottled water, diapers, snacks I totally understand) but straight up toys, stuffed animals, etc. Absolute comfort and nesting materials it seems... and things that apparently need to be left in a stroller for the savages to just steal for themselves.

I just don't get why people need to pack for survival - its a theme park and frankly MK is rather small, IMO.

Little ones get tired from all the walking and can't last all day on their feet. Having a stroller allows families to continue enjoying the day while little ones rest without having to leave the park.

Cesar R M

Spirited Millard Fillmore Day Thoughts:

So, MM+ collapses yet again ... and on a holiday weekend ... and property wide ... and then does the same thing the next day and ponder these items:

A $2 billion plus boondoggle with absolutely no backups built in;
The man ultimately responsible for this just got elevated to COO of the company, the world's largest media and entertainment corp;
The man in charge of daily ops for WDW, the man charged with making sure tthings like this don't happen, has eyes on the top P&R prize.

Yep, this is a company heading in the right direction, sailing on smooth seas of ever increasing profits that will never end. Tell yourself that.

Speaking of Tom Staggs, it is scary, but if you look at what he's accomplished on his watch versus Jay Rasulo, he's a total and utter failure:

New Fantasyland at MK (build and opening);
Pandora at DAK;
NextGen;
SDL (most planning and all building);
Disney Springs;
More DVC;

(No, not going to give him any part of DCA 2.0 as that was all planned and budgeted and largely built by JR. Same with HKDL's three mini-lands and the two new cruise ships.)

It's like looking at the numbers that @ParentsOf4 rips apart here regularly. The bricks and mortar reality of what Staggs has accomplished in five years is pretty damning evidence that he is a total and utter failure in that position. Soak it in.

Loved SNL's 40th special last night. So much so that I wanted more. Hell, I enjoyed it more than some Emmys I've been too. Just amazing how much talent that show has bred.

So, saw there's a dude who has lots of money and time on his hands (he runs a hot sauce business, apparently ... and, no, I can't make this stuff up) who spent Valentine's Day at TDL, DL and MK to get pics in front of all three castles in one day. Says he is the first to do this (is that like in the Fanboi Book of Meaningless Records?) Look, I don't like people telling me how to spend my money, so I generally like to treat others as I'd like to be treated. Of course, I limit strongly what I tell strangers about what I spend my $$$ on. I'm glad he had fun, but I do think he's crazy. Oh, and technically he really didn't accomplish his feat because a day is not 28 hours, it's 24, even if the dateline says it's the same day. So, yeah, I fully expect him to try and do all three in 24 hours next year!

I really appreciate how well everyone has worked to keep this thread on the rails (no, I really don't give a darn how colleges are ranked and there's not even a remote tie to Disney or the business in it ... and telling people they aren't feeling 'freezing' just because the temp isn't below 32F or 0C is just crazy!)
Folks, just because someone makes a comment like ''I like grapes'' doesn't mean we have to have a six-page distraction on what country grows the best grapes and the composition of the soil in said locales. Sometimes, a comment is just that and you read it and move on ...

I admit today would be a perfect day to walk around WDW's best theme park: DAK.
(gotta get there fast before they remove every tree!)

Final note: I received, and answered, a very interesting (telling?) survey from DLR last week. The questions are clearly telegraphing changes a coming (my guess is the AP program would be one thing). I'll post the questions and solicit your opinions when I have a bit more time. ... unless you want to fight over weather (my two cents worth for everyone not in FL and ******** about winter: quit your higher paying jobs, sell your homes and move to the swamps where life is a MAGICal journey every day. You can live at theme parks and beaches every day and smile because it is 76 degrees on President's Day with blue sky and sun, so come on down ... homes from the mid-400s to well over $1 million are going up by the hundreds just west of the MK in what was pristine scrub and lake country. You can all live that way, right?...well, if you're a Lifestyler, you apparently can!)
I can confirm that my magic crashed twice yesterday and some fasptasses got corrupted (mine included, my friend who works at epcot said it was a nightmare for fp staff yesterday and 2 days ago), not sure about today but magicreaders were sometimes working sometimes werent at coronado springs.

Cesar R M

@WDW1974 So is Staggs REALLY very likely to become the next CEO after Iger? I was under the impression that the board wasn't happy with anyone currently at the company, at least not Iger/Staggs/Rasulo and the other hacks like them? And that it's highly likely the board will look to outside the company next time.

I'm guessing whatever influence Eisner has now, he's probably campaigning for Staggs...

Well they have to get trees for Canada's lumberjack show from somewhere...

For a company that loves hiding behind the "environmentally friendly" card as an excuse to reduce air conditioning in the parks (which i hadn't imagined was as bad as people made it out to be until a sweltering ride on Little Mermaid last year), Disney sure doesn't seem to have any problem with cutting trees down and multilating them for guests' "entertainment" (LMAO) at Canada. Meanwhile and somewhat ironically, Living with the Land is probably the ride currently in the worst condition at Epcot. Also "synthetic grass" at the new Main Street overhaul at MK... :banghead:

hang on,I didnt see any fake grass..are they really installing fake grass ???

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom