A Spirited Perfect Ten

Disneyhead'71

He's a Man's man! money aside he's a classy dude. Skinny jeans and inability ro shave is not indicative of someone I'd hang out woth.
Don Drapper is fictional. I know a lot of guys who think they are Don Draper, ummm no.

Lumbersexual was the obvious pendulum swing from Metrosexual. Now all those former hairy gay guys that lasered themselves clean are kicking them selves for thinking Metrosexual wasn't a fad.

bhg469

Don Drapper is fictional. I know a lot of guys who think they are Don Draper, ummm no.

Lumbersexual was the obvious pendulum swing from Metrosexual. Now all those former hairy gay guys that lasered themselves clean are kicking them selves for thinking Metrosexual wasn't a fad.
Ha, I'll take your word for it. :) I just think they're ridiculous, and looking and dressing respectfully goes quite far outside of da club.

culturenthrills

But there's what, 13?, massive TSRs* competing to get those guests to have dinner. Plus QSRs. And the only way to get guests there is to kick them out of the park by 7 pm, which cuts in-park spending. No one "restaurant-hops." The dinner crowd at CityWalk is largely a zero-sum game, because Universal's former parking policy keeps so many non-park guests away. And they all leave at once, resulting in a massive guest-discouraging line at 7:05, but no one coming after 8:30.

It again comes down to Business 101. Who is the target market? How large is that market? Will this serve their needs? What is the competition? Antojitos, standing alone, is a really cool restaurant. But who is going to eat there? How do you get them to go there? Why will they choose Antojitos over Rocco's Tacos? It's the difference between looking at pictures online and realizing nothing exists in a vaccuum.

I hate to use the analogy, because TWDC loves it but doesn't get it, but CityWalk and to a large extent Disney Springs are Red Ocean. Adding venues to cannabalize existing ones. I-Drive right now is Blue(r) Ocean, targeting a market that hasn't been adequately served the past 5 years.

*[I've heard HRC may be the largest restaurant in North America, certainly the largest in Orlando. The rest besides Emerils are not small.]

Yeah, I don't know why more people don't leave the parks and go eat lunch at CityWalk. You can often get a sit down meal for almost what you would pay at a QSR in the parks. That is one of the things I like so much about Universals set up is that you can easily leave the parks for a little bit and relax at a restaurant before heading back in.

PhotoDave219

Yeah, what's your point.

Style by it's nature is just a series of "Fads".

The game is to be on the front edge of a fad.
my point is if you have a haircut of A member of the SS, you're doing it wrong.

Sometimes there's not much of a leap from the Hitler Youth to Disney Entertainment. After all, they both wear Hugo Boss.

culturenthrills

This does make a lot of sense. The more hotel rooms Universal adds the better shot they have of keeping a captive audience at City Walk. Where Disney Springs has a huge advantage is that it's part of the "Disney bubble". As much as the people on here talk about the value and advantage of having a car and going off property, a large portion of guests that stay on property actually view the idea of being a captive audience as a plus. They are paying extra to stay on property and use Disney transportation so they don't need to rent a car or go off property. I don't think Universal has the same type of guest mentality.

One thing that I think we talked about on one of the Disney Springs threads is that the type of places they are opening at DS don't seem to be typical tourist restaurants. The lineup of high end restaurants doesn't seem to be geared towards pixie dusted tourists on DDP. If the goal is to attract locals or more importantly the convention crowd then being inside the "Disney bubble" is less of an advantage and in some cases it could be a disadvantage. You could have some on property conventions at CR, YC or CSR where guests may choose to go to DS now instead of going off property at night because it's easier, but if you are looking to attract off property convention guests and locals there isn't really much of an advantage.

Problem is is that nightlife is still going to be practically non existent at Disney Springs. When a lot of these conventions are in town these people want to party and drink not deal with a bunch families with strollers. They don't have to deal with that at CityWalk.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Problem is is that nightlife is still going to be practically non existent at Disney Springs. When a lot of these conventions are in town these people want to party and drink not deal with a bunch families with strollers. They don't have to deal with that at CityWalk.
Not everyone who goes to conventions looks for an atmosphere of debachury. Sometimes just a place to have a beverage and relax is just as important.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think it depends on the convention. When you get something like a sales conference with a lot of young sales people it can get pretty crazy, but for a lot of business travelers they are looking for a good meal first and then a bar to hit afterwards, maybe with some live entertainment. People who travel frequently for work usually aren't going all out to party especially if they have important meetings the next morning. If the trip and conference is more of a "boondoggle" or a reward for being one of the top sales execs or something like that then the point is to party.

I agree on the stroller thing, but that's where I'm hoping the trend at DS could change (at least on the Landing). If these high end restaurants on the Landing primarily don't take DDP and don't feature a lot of things interesting to kids it may be a lot less of the stroller crowd, especially at night. Why go to Morimoto or a high end steakhouse and pay out of pocket when T-Rex and RFC both have lots for kids to do and take DDP. There will still be some of the stroller crowd there (they are harder to get rid of than bed bugs;)). I still think they should make the whole Landing 21+ after 9PM. Why not? There's still plenty for parents with kids to do in the rest of DS and it would make for a better "adult" environment.

Figments Friend

Well I just found these priceless things on Tumblr:

tumblr_njmyrzdacR1r9qf81o1_1280.jpg

( spews freshly brewed tea all over laptop computer screen )

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

THIS....
This is....just so SO wrong!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Is looking for debachury at a resort focused more on family entertainment reasonable?

sometimes the people booking the convention do so hoping to tame their constituents. I can say I've burned up Orlando many times myself :) But never stayed at Disney for a show.. always in town. Tho we have eaten in DTD some nights.

Funmeister

But there's what, 13?, massive TSRs* competing to get those guests to have dinner. Plus QSRs. And the only way to get guests there is to kick them out of the park by 7 pm, which cuts in-park spending. No one "restaurant-hops." The dinner crowd at CityWalk is largely a zero-sum game, because Universal's former parking policy keeps so many non-park guests away. And they all leave at once, resulting in a massive guest-discouraging line at 7:05, but no one coming after 8:30.

It again comes down to Business 101. Who is the target market? How large is that market? Will this serve their needs? What is the competition? Antojitos, standing alone, is a really cool restaurant. But who is going to eat there? How do you get them to go there? Why will they choose Antojitos over Rocco's Tacos? It's the difference between looking at pictures online and realizing nothing exists in a vaccuum.

I hate to use the analogy, because TWDC loves it but doesn't get it, but CityWalk and to a large extent Disney Springs are Red Ocean. Adding venues to cannabalize existing ones. I-Drive right now is Blue(r) Ocean, targeting a market that hasn't been adequately served the past 5 years.

*[I've heard HRC may be the largest restaurant in North America, certainly the largest in Orlando. The rest besides Emerils are not small.]

I agree but if someone has to get in a car (Disney) they have a better chance of eating anywhere (192, CItyWalk, Intl Drive, etc.) more so than if someone is already there. Disney knows this. Look at how all new Disney resorts are being built. It seems the new DIsney recipe is two theme parks connected with an entertainment complex.

DLP is a little different because you can bypass the old "DIsney Village" once you exited the parks.

Sure, majority of the flood of people are not going to stop but enough will. I agree with your business analysis of the target market but knowing from personal experience not many of those establishments market heavily in the Central Florida market. Hard Rock did minimal local promotion but Planet Hollywood was the king. They did more than any other themed restaurant by far. How do I know? They outsourced part of thier effort to WDW sales and marketing where I worked. (Let's say I have had my fill of Captain Crunch chicken tenders LOL.)

To those restaurants the target audience are more resort guests staying on property and the mass crowds are secondary. HRC concerts and other events then target the local groups. DIsney really tried to market Pleasure Island to Disney resort guests but there was (and still is) a huge physical disconnect to actually get there.

If you are relaxing in your room after a long day at the parks would you prefer to take a short walk or boat ride to a themed restaurant or bar? or rely on Disney bus transportation? I cannot imagine going to Disney Springs if I am staying at the Wilderness Lodge or Ft. Wilderness relying only on Disney buses.

I-Drive has somewhat the same luxury as Universal. High density of people within a short walk or cab ride. Disney-ites are going to continue to go to Disney places regardless but another problem is that guests are starting to venture more and more off property.

Ugh...sorry if I am jumping around but there are too many things connected to too many problems. lol This could go on forever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom