A Spirited Perfect Ten

bhg469

I don't see Five Guys as a boutique place. Just serves the best burger that I have found at a chain place. They also serve a mean BLT. However I must say the BLT I have had was at the Cabelas in KCK.

Anyone found a good BLT at WDW?
I just got a cabelas but never went into the cafe... i lo e BLTs tjough.. I do know they stole a buffalo candy and Called it seafoam. I thought that was funny.

BrianLo

I accept full responsibility for the thread drift. Proving once and for all that people can argue about anything.:)

I'd like to pretend today's high of -25 Fahrenheit was cold, but that would be disingenuous to the family I saw from Iqaluit last week, they had bottomed out at -89. The cars, which were on block heaters, froze.

The grass is always greener...

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I have to wear ear protection when I cut my lawn. I use a reel lawn mower so there is no engine noise but without ear protection I can hear hundreds of grass blades screaming with each push of the mower.
sc21-mainImage-1lg.jpg

That's why power mowers were invented - the engine noise drowns out the screams of the grass and the occasional snake...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I haven't looked at the rankings in a while, but it was always Princeton/Harvard/Yale in the top 3. Did Stanford sneak up to the top spot? My school is usually somewhere in the top 30 and priced like an Ivy, but I can say that the connections I've made both as an undergrad and as an alum are worth far more to me than anything I learned while I was there. I suspect the same is true for the Ivy League schools.

For the record Stanford IS Ivy League.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Enjoy your nightly mug of anger and bile!

I love how factual information is 'anger and bile', I'd be lost without Fedex as they ship instruments safely to worksites for me and I'm on a first name basis with most of the staff at the local airport station, Still does not change the fact that they were initially designed to send parcels and documents overnight for the federal government and too many businesses these days exist for no other reason than to suckle at the US Government teat at great expense to the taxpayer. The state animal of the US should actually be a sow instead of an eagle.

Ever wonder how missiles and other high value equipment gets to the front lines for warfighters, Hint in many cases it's FedEx...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm not comparing Five Guys to boutique spots (I don't even know what those are). I'm comparing the taste to local, "hole in the wall" joints.
I think what he means is chain fast food places vs a local place. Five Guys blows away a place like McD's or Burger King, but I can think of half a dozen local places near me that have a better burger. Some times the more hole in the wall the better the burger tastes.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Weather is most certainly NOT subjective. It's 100% objective. It's either snowing or not snowing. It's either 18 degrees or 82 degrees.

65 degrees might be a record NYC temperate for January, but if you have even the most basic concept of geography, that shouldn't confuse you.

Just because you, wrongly, consider 58 degrees near freezing, doesn't make it so. I promise you, no water molecules are anywhere near freezing if it's 58 outside.

Weather is what it is. You don't change it by having off base opinions.
The freezing point of water is objective, but people's reaction to weather is very subjective. My father in law moved to Florida about 20 years ago. When he comes to visit us in PA in March and it's 58 degrees out I'm breaking out my shorts and he's wearing a winter coat. When he lived here he didn't have the same reaction to the cold. Same goes for heat. Visiting Florida when it's 80 degrees out makes me want to search out AC.

71jason

I think CityWalk will come out better than Disney Springs. It helps to have 40k+ people walking through your venue to spend money versus utilizing outdated transportation system or driving.

But there's what, 13?, massive TSRs* competing to get those guests to have dinner. Plus QSRs. And the only way to get guests there is to kick them out of the park by 7 pm, which cuts in-park spending. No one "restaurant-hops." The dinner crowd at CityWalk is largely a zero-sum game, because Universal's former parking policy keeps so many non-park guests away. And they all leave at once, resulting in a massive guest-discouraging line at 7:05, but no one coming after 8:30.

It again comes down to Business 101. Who is the target market? How large is that market? Will this serve their needs? What is the competition? Antojitos, standing alone, is a really cool restaurant. But who is going to eat there? How do you get them to go there? Why will they choose Antojitos over Rocco's Tacos? It's the difference between looking at pictures online and realizing nothing exists in a vaccuum.

I hate to use the analogy, because TWDC loves it but doesn't get it, but CityWalk and to a large extent Disney Springs are Red Ocean. Adding venues to cannabalize existing ones. I-Drive right now is Blue(r) Ocean, targeting a market that hasn't been adequately served the past 5 years.

*[I've heard HRC may be the largest restaurant in North America, certainly the largest in Orlando. The rest besides Emerils are not small.]

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think what he means is chain fast food places vs a local place. Five Guys blows away a place like McD's or Burger King, but I can think of half a dozen local places near me that have a better burger. Some times the more hole in the wall the better the burger tastes.

Yes have to agree with that one.

71jason

If someone would crack the nut to get people bus'd off disney property without customer resistance... things could get nutty. Imagine setting up a bus terminal right across from Disney Springs, etc :) Getting people to break the bubble still is the biggest issue.

As Uber and its imitators go more mainstream, I think it will help. Also, 2 days at Universal makes a car a necessity. And a lot of the guests I-Drive is targeting need to get to the world's largest convention center anyway. It's a slow process, but I think Disney will see its crowd chipped away as it remains stagnant (or in the case of Avatar, irrelevant).

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Not in college football:) They have just as many "free rides" for football players as USC or Alabama or any major program.

Harvard actually has a pretty decent Ice hockey team. They even won a national championship at some point back in the 90s.

There is only ONE sporting event at Harvard which matters - 'The Game' i.e. the travelling football game between Harvard and Yale.

Probably my favorite thing about Harvard is sports do not matter AT ALL in the grand scheme of things, Sports are simply fun activities as they should be at colleges, The whole college teams being farm teams for the NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL makes me ill because most of the players are going to end up in jail or 'do you want fries with that'.

71jason

Next time a recession comes around. I guess when the next bubble bursts. We've had a tech bubble, a real estate bubble.... whats next? These things seem to happen every 10 years or so.

SW Orlando is definitely setting itself up for another real estate bubble. Unless I somehow missed the thousands (literally) looking to rent new $1,200 apartments by Sea World and Celebration, or buy the new McMansions--sans garage!--popping up on the edge of Osceola County. Buyers not willing to snatch up empty Celebration or Reunion homes at bargain prices, no, they want to pay more for new. :confused:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
But there's what, 13?, massive TSRs* competing to get those guests to have dinner. Plus QSRs. And the only way to get guests there is to kick them out of the park by 7 pm, which cuts in-park spending. No one "restaurant-hops." The dinner crowd at CityWalk is largely a zero-sum game, because Universal's former parking policy keeps so many non-park guests away. And they all leave at once, resulting in a massive guest-discouraging line at 7:05, but no one come 9:00.

It again comes down to Business 101. Who is the target market? How large is that market? Will this serve their needs? What is the competition? Antojitos, standing alone, is a really cool restaurant. But who is going to eat there? How do you get them to go there? Why will they choose Antojitos over Rocco's Tacos? It's the difference between looking at pictures online and realizing nothing exists in a vaccuum.

I hate to use the analogy, because TWDC loves it but doesn't get it, but CityWalk and to a large extent Disney Springs are Red Ocean. Adding venues to cannabalize existing ones. I-Drive right now is Blue(r) Ocean, targeting a market that hasn't been adequately served the past 5 years.

*[I've heard HRC may be the largest restaurant in North America, certainly the largest in Orlando. The rest besides Emerils are not small.]
This does make a lot of sense. The more hotel rooms Universal adds the better shot they have of keeping a captive audience at City Walk. Where Disney Springs has a huge advantage is that it's part of the "Disney bubble". As much as the people on here talk about the value and advantage of having a car and going off property, a large portion of guests that stay on property actually view the idea of being a captive audience as a plus. They are paying extra to stay on property and use Disney transportation so they don't need to rent a car or go off property. I don't think Universal has the same type of guest mentality.

One thing that I think we talked about on one of the Disney Springs threads is that the type of places they are opening at DS don't seem to be typical tourist restaurants. The lineup of high end restaurants doesn't seem to be geared towards pixie dusted tourists on DDP. If the goal is to attract locals or more importantly the convention crowd then being inside the "Disney bubble" is less of an advantage and in some cases it could be a disadvantage. You could have some on property conventions at CR, YC or CSR where guests may choose to go to DS now instead of going off property at night because it's easier, but if you are looking to attract off property convention guests and locals there isn't really much of an advantage.

flynnibus

Premium Member
As Uber and its imitators go more mainstream, I think it will help

That's a great point... younger generations are also more accepting of them and they don't carry the same stigma as public transportation. Imagine a shopping district pairing up with uber to subsidize rides, etc. Seems like an easy expense to put under marketing cost... put the offer up up on billboards along the way DME drives to the resort.. buy some facebook advertising... could be done on the cheap to start chipping away at the armor.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There is only ONE sporting event at Harvard which matters - 'The Game' i.e. the travelling football game between Harvard and Yale.

Probably my favorite thing about Harvard is sports do not matter AT ALL in the grand scheme of things, Sports are simply fun activities as they should be at colleges, The whole college teams being farm teams for the NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL makes me ill because most of the players are going to end up in jail or 'do you want fries with that'.
My school was similar for sports. The Patriot League is the poor man's Ivy League (except there were plenty of rich kids too and the schools actually cost just as much as the Ivy's). We went into the football games primarily to sober up enough to drive home from tailgates. My school did beat Duke one year in the first round of March madness. A classic 15 seed beats 2 seed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom