A Spirited Perfect Ten

Phil12

There's plenty of evidence that plants can respond to certain outside stimuli to some extent, it is not however evidence of self awareness or actual pain in the sense that animals experience. Just autonomic preservation responses to the environment (as much as it can muster without a central nervous system). Pain is a brain's interpretation of harmful stimuli, it goes beyond simple autonomic responses exhibited by simpler living organisms such as plants. Most living organisms, even the most base, have some sort of self preservation mechanism built into their genetic code. Even certain complex DEAD animals can still exhibit movement to stimuli for some period after their death. A beheaded snake body can continue to move for some time after, and the head can even bite things that "provoke" it. And there are videos of dead octopus where soy sauce is poured over their bodies and their limbs move quite a bit due to an electrical response in the nerves. Doesn't mean the organisms are still alive and "self aware" or that they can feel pain, it's relegated to simple autonomic chemical responses to certain stimuli (such as nerves that are still active after the brain ceases major activity).

I am myself also a vegetarian of over 10 years (vegan for most of that), though it doesn't extend to being grossed out by the thought of eating meat. I'm no raging nut by any stretch of the imagination (in contrast to the obnoxious jackass hypocrites at PETA). Ethics do factor into it to some substantial degree (it was what made me try the diet to begin with), but it's a heavily health based diet for me as well (which is not something I expected going into this). Besides general health benefits such as some weight loss and blood pressure normalization, I developed various food intolerances in my youth that a non-meat/dairy diet helps to neutralize. Meat and dairy had always caused me digestive issues even as a child, and dairy in particular inflames painful respiratory problems I started to develop as a teen (certain vegetable sources such as grains, tree nuts and peanuts can even cause issues). I wouldn't say it's a diet that everyone should follow (though I would perhaps argue that more people could stand to experiment and dabble with it given the abysmal American diet), but it definitely works for me regardless of the ethics behind it.
I have to wear ear protection when I cut my lawn. I use a reel lawn mower so there is no engine noise but without ear protection I can hear hundreds of grass blades screaming with each push of the mower.
sc21-mainImage-1lg.jpg

bhg469

Their burgers aren't overly "chewy", are they? That's the reason why I don't really have them.
No, it's a good quality burger. They just grill it with the sauce, that's what makes it "animal style". 5 guys is in a similar level of beef So while it's similar it's not the same without that sauce.

erwinalber4

So I just read through several pages of burger discussion. When I started I thought I was in for pages of Disney talk. Silly me! :oops:
I actually like a local place here in Tampa called Burger Monger. Delicious.

Californian Elitist

o_O

You Floridians....

I consider fifty-eight degrees near freezing. Weather is subjective.

I remember being in New York during winter two years ago, and listening to the weatherman on the local news talk about the record heat they were experiencing...it was sixty-five degrees. As a Southern Californian, it sounded odd at first, but it made perfect sense for New Yorkers when I thought about it. Different weather means different experiences.

flynnibus

Premium Member
And on the subject of burgers, Five Guys is overpriced and overrated. I know of a few local spots in LA that master the homemade taste Five Guys attempts to conquer.

Five Guys is just a specialty fast food joint - it shouldn't be compared with the 'boutique' burger stuff that is popular now (and even more expensive). Just like Checkers before it... and In n Out did on the west coast, they took an angle and built a following around that. The fresh patties, the fry style, and the peanuts.. that's Five Guys. Just like the fresh patty, cook to order, and the customization is In N Out. Both are also known for sticking to their formula and resisting expansion of the menu. Five Guys however did go on a massive franchise expansion boom, at both the regional and national level. So while In N Out is more a legend for most of the country.. Five Guys has become a known quantity given their expansion into your local area.

But if you live in any metro area, there are a dozen different boutique burger places all trying to establish themselves as worthy of charging boutique prices for fast food menu items by going exotic and custom. They are almost too many to list now.

Absimilliard

I remember when my friends mentionned that the Annette's Diner (back when it still served good food!) over at DLP had introduced the "Incredible Burger". That was back in 2007 and they made it sound like that four patties burger that was so daunting they even gave you a free milkshake when you finished it. So I fly there soon after and decided to go see what the deal was about, as even though I am not a burger guy, I won't pass a challenge.

So, I show up there and this.. is what the big deal was about:
Paris 2007 322.jpg

To be honest, a double Big Mac or Double Quarter Pounder at Mc Donald's in Canada is nearly the same size and a quarter of the price... I polished that thing off in record time and the waiter actually looked around the table to see if I had dropped it! I got my free milkshake and utter stares from everyone around. France does not have the same size standards as North America obviously.

P.S: I can't stand burgers here because I like my meat juicy and usually so rare it could donate at the local blood bank. You can't get that unfortunately at most locations in North America unless the restaurant is confident enough to offer a Steak Tartare or the steak so expensive they will serve it blue.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Five Guys is good but too expensive. I'd rather go to the boutique and spend the same. For example Thurmans in Columbus cost the same per person for a far better burger.
I don't see Five Guys as a boutique place. Just serves the best burger that I have found at a chain place. They also serve a mean BLT. However I must say the BLT I have had was at the Cabelas in KCK.

Anyone found a good BLT at WDW?

OSUgirl77

Five Guys is good but too expensive. I'd rather go to the boutique and spend the same. For example Thurmans in Columbus cost the same per person for a far better burger.
Nothing beats Thurman's. I have yet to find a better burger anywhere. The only problem is, it isn't fast. If you don't get there when it opens, you have a pretty good wait time ahead of you. Burgers from places like Five Guys and In-N-Out are still high quality, especially considering they are fast food.

lobelia

Thurman's has a to-go location now. We did have to wait to be seated though at 4:30 on a Sunday. It took around 45 mins. But no doubt best burgers ever. For the person who likes his/her burgers juicy you have to cut your burger to hold it and the juice drips down to your wrists.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom