A Spirited Perfect Ten

MagicGoofy

So what type of rides do you guys think we will be getting for star wars I know I would love a kuku arm ride but I wasnt sure if universal had a contract with them or not

There's plenty of evidence that plants can respond to certain outside stimuli to some extent, it is not however evidence of self awareness or actual pain in the sense that animals experience. Just autonomic preservation responses to the environment (as much as it can muster without a central nervous system). Pain is a brain's interpretation of harmful stimuli, it goes beyond simple autonomic responses exhibited by simpler living organisms such as plants. Most living organisms, even the most base, have some sort of self preservation mechanism built into their genetic code. Even certain complex DEAD animals can still exhibit movement to stimuli for some period after their death. A beheaded snake body can continue to move for some time after, and the head can even bite things that "provoke" it. And there are videos of dead octopus where soy sauce is poured over their bodies and their limbs move quite a bit due to an electrical response in the nerves. Doesn't mean the organisms are still alive and "self aware" or that they can feel pain, it's relegated to simple autonomic chemical responses to certain stimuli (such as nerves that are still active after the brain ceases major activity).

I am myself also a vegetarian of over 10 years (vegan for most of that), though it doesn't extend to being grossed out by the thought of eating meat. I'm no raging nut by any stretch of the imagination (in contrast to the obnoxious jackass hypocrites at PETA). Ethics do factor into it to some substantial degree (it was what made me try the diet to begin with), but it's a heavily health based diet for me as well (which is not something I expected going into this). Besides general health benefits such as some weight loss and blood pressure normalization, I developed various food intolerances in my youth that a non-meat/dairy diet helps to neutralize. Meat and dairy had always caused me digestive issues even as a child, and dairy in particular inflames painful respiratory problems I started to develop as a teen (certain vegetable sources such as grains, tree nuts and peanuts can even cause issues). I wouldn't say it's a diet that everyone should follow (though I would perhaps argue that more people could stand to experiment and dabble with it given the abysmal American diet), but it definitely works for me regardless of the ethics behind it.

Couple things.....first, if you want to see dead animals moving to stimuli, check out these frog legs (which coincidentally, I love to eat!)

And second, my 12 year old daughter was questioning last night why vegetarians aren't concerned about the pain they cause plants when they are a vegetarian for ethical reasons. This daughter is a carnivore and wants to go to a Brazilian churrasco for her next birthday. The irony is that my wife was a vegetarian until she became pregnant with my daughter.

Nemo14

So what type of rides do you guys think we will be getting for star wars I know I would love a kuku arm ride but I wasnt sure if universal had a contract with them or not
Not sure what a kuku arm is - did you perhaps mean a KUKA arm?

th

WDW1974

Original Poster
Oh, you guys/gals are killing me. Killing me. I don't feel bad enough being separated from my beloved 'Angie M' on Valentine's Day, yet I jump in here and see talk about non social media plants, the wonder that (apparently) is shopping at a chain called Wegmans, and burgers.

OK, I brought the last one upon myself by challenging @WDWFigment over his diet of having In-N-Out approximately 11 times a week. But at least burgers are somehow related to WDW since they are the No 1 item eaten by the masses.

But can we drop, or move, the other stuff? It really is too much and I can't even attempt to keep up.

Now, the temp outside the Spirit Cave has dropped to a frigid 58 degrees ...where are my fanboi footwarmers?

WDW1974

Original Poster
For those interested, another pro-Staggs as CEO puff piece from the Grey Lady today. This time from James Stewart (author of Disney War).

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/13/b...-succession-this-time-without-drama.html?_r=0

Honestly not much new in this article, but at least he does recognize that there may, in fact, be external candidates who are well-suited for the job.

Every writer, even those doing a favor for team Staggs, is sticking that disclaimer in because they realize that there is an excellent chance that The Weatherman's plans are not how things will go down.

So,they look good to Disney, yet leave themselves an out. That is just being smart.

bhg469

Not a clip that emphasizes how they differ... but if you just want a peek of just some of the elements and often.. pure scale of a Wegman's.. look at this short clip

I was lucky enough to grow up where wegmans was born and have seen it's progression. The one in the video is some next level stuff! They scale them based on the area but the one by me is slightly less fun than what you posted. Ive been in some that were that good though.

bhg469

Oh, you guys/gals are killing me. Killing me. I don't feel bad enough being separated from my beloved 'Angie M' on Valentine's Day, yet I jump in here and see talk about non social media plants, the wonder that (apparently) is shopping at a chain called Wegmans, and burgers.

OK, I brought the last one upon myself by challenging @WDWFigment over his diet of having In-N-Out approximately 11 times a week. But at least burgers are somehow related to WDW since they are the No 1 item eaten by the masses.

But can we drop, or move, the other stuff? It really is too much and I can't even attempt to keep up.

Now, the temp outside the Spirit Cave has dropped to a frigid 58 degrees ...where are my fanboi footwarmers?
It's totally pertinent when you consider what some corporations still deliver when they don't really have to try. wegmans is a perfect example of what disney used to be. Obviously in a different business but they are giving their best every day for a reasonable price.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

One more burger post:
PYT Burger which is a local Philly place that's not really fast food but has a bunch of crazy burgers (most of them huge) is offering a groupon for a burger (and fries) a day for a year for $144. Besides the obvious health risks associated with taking this deal, it apparently also led to some backlash since the original deal didn't specify dine-in only. Yeah, that's the problem with it:). Here's a story about it.
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/the-insider/PYT-burger-a-day-Groupon-deal-raises-a-stink.html

The place first made news when LeSean McCoy (running back for the Eagles) apparently ate there with 4 friends and got bad service and left a $0.20 tip on a $60 bill. Of course the owners posted the receipt online.

WDW1974

Original Poster
People don't seem to get that Iger is not good for the theme parks.

Iger is good for Wall Street.

Short term, he is a God to Wall Street and investors, no doubt.

Long term is another tale entirely.

It's like people I know who opt to live a life lie. Things are great now. But at some point in the future when the house of cards collapses it won't be a pretty picture. That is the essence of TWDC of today.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Sadly. Harvard graduates get everything handed to them. :cool:

To be fair, what do you expect?

An Ivy League education costs an obscene sum of money and requires a high level of accomplishment.

A Harvard education assures one of a certain position in our society ...at Disney, that position isn't operating Dumbo, checking in guests at CBR or driving a bus.

khale1970

You do realize his initial business model was to perform overnight deliveries of parcels and documents to federal customers hence the original name of 'Federal Express', Just think an entire business designed entirely on sucking on the government teat. Sounds about right for a Yalie

Federal Express got into commercial logistics by accident because companies needed to send stuff to Uncle Sugardaddy - So it was an accidental commercial success.

Enjoy your nightly mug of anger and bile!

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 (or anyone else with inside knowledge) -

Have you heard anything recently about a WDW version of Club 33? At one time, there were rumors that the Adventureland Verandah would be used for that, but it sound like current plans are more likely some version of QS open to all?

The Club is coming to the swamps, but I haven't been able to ever get a good location nailed down. I still don't know. But AV isn't it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom