A Spirited Perfect Ten

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Spirited threads cover all aspects of Disney and the theme park industry - including Universal, which has always been fair game in this thread. Universal buying land for a third park is significant, if for no other reason than how it affects WDW.

Blah. Really I don't give a crap about what is posted here other than the inside information which I appreciate people sharing even though they don't have to. My initial comment to Joe was meant to be a joke. But then Caesar gives me the eye roll, his signature move. So here we are.

PhotoDave219

@PhotoDave219 Did you notice a difference with the IMAX laser projectors that A&S has recently installed?

The 4K laser projector? Ridiculous resolution. It was better than the AMC high-end theater at pleasure Island or the regal Cinemas high-end theater here locally.

I also noticed that the only true IMAX segment of the film ...... Was small and only for a few minutes from a chase scene towards the beginning of the film.

TalkingHead

One thing about TFA. There aren't any new distinctive locations.

Jakku is your typical desert planet.
The Death Star 3.0 looks like your typical ice planet on the outside and your typical Death Star on the inside.
And those other planets were forested.

Based on the concept art, SWL is going to be based on an urban environment. It'll be interesting to see if it's a space port that comes into play in later movies, or if it's just a generic port that exists independently of the films.

lazyboy97o

One thing about TFA. There aren't any new distinctive locations.

Jakku is your typical desert planet.
The Death Star 3.0 looks like your typical ice planet on the outside and your typical Death Star on the inside.
And those other planets were forested.

Based on the concept art, SWL is going to be based on an urban environment. It'll be interesting to see if it's a space port that comes into play in later movies, or if it's just a generic port that exists independently of the films.
None of the Star Wars films really have any true places. It's a lot of landscape with very extreme climates. The land staying generic allows it to be a continuous amalgamation of the few places that appear. Working the synergy would just be forcing something that isn't very true to the films.

Cesar R M

Yeah, I really don't trust the company behind Cars Land with Star Wars either :rolleyes:
as long they let the imagineers actually build as planned.
Or we might get another NFL sans mine train.

And you don't think LucasFilm has similar power here? Also, knowing the widespread opinion among fans about the prequels, I think Disney knows what would happen if they messed this up. It's a top priority project, I guarantee it (even with no inside info).
who in LucasFilm?
Lucas is gone and they pretty much waved his input.
I dont think he could pull a Lesetter to build a super duper star wars land.

doctornick

Don't want to spoil the movie, so...

The scenes on D'Qar (the Resistance base) and Takodana (where Maz's canteen was) seemed like they could be related to the architecture from the concept art for Star Wars Land. In particular, it wouldn't surprised me if the concept art was supposed to represent D'Qar because we didn't see much about the full extent of the base or any other settlements on that planet -- it is likely that D'Qar will be re-visited in Ep VIII and there might be more scenery from there.

Furthermore, if the land represents the location of the Resistance base, it would make sense to have both the Millennium Falcon there, plus it could be a good framing device for an attraction where you are involved in a Resistance/First Order conflict (the premise of such a ride can be that the First Order invade the base).

flynnibus

Premium Member
The 4K laser projector? Ridiculous resolution. It was better than the AMC high-end theater at pleasure Island or the regal Cinemas high-end theater here locally.

I also noticed that the only true IMAX segment of the film ...... Was small and only for a few minutes from a chase scene towards the beginning of the film.
So was the rest letterbox'd?

flynnibus

Premium Member
None of the Star Wars films really have any true places. It's a lot of landscape with very extreme climates. The land staying generic allows it to be a continuous amalgamation of the few places that appear. Working the synergy would just be forcing something that isn't very true to the films.

?
Naboo with its lush greenery and undersea cities
Coreuscant with its global cities
Degobah
Endor with its giant forests
Genonosis with its volcanic settings and caves

The idea of introducing a cool new environment is a staple of the series... In tfa we get all new places... That are basically the same as prior planets. The regal base looks like yavin4... Jakku = tatooine etc

PhotoDave219

So was the rest letterbox'd?
Yes but you really couldn't tell unless you were specifically looking for scenes shot in full IMAX.

The only problem with such a high resolution is that I noticed a couple of special effects shots where you could tell it was completely CGI and no practical effects or stuntmen were used. The guy noticed only one or two places where it really stood out.

lazyboy97o

?
Naboo with its lush greenery and undersea cities
Coreuscant with its global cities
Degobah
Endor with its giant forests
Genonosis with its volcanic settings and caves

The idea of introducing a cool new environment is a staple of the series... In tfa we get all new places... That are basically the same as prior planets. The regal base looks like yavin4... Jakku = tatooine etc
Location and place are not synonymous. Even the urban expanse of Coruscant functions more as landscape.

Cesar R M

It's under WDW news and rumors. Feel free to ask the mods to recategorize to Uni though. Or general chit chat.
Because there is no "all parks" category.
Use logic. :rolleyes:

Blah. Really I don't give a crap about what is posted here other than the inside information which I appreciate people sharing even though they don't have to. My initial comment to Joe was meant to be a joke. But then Caesar gives me the eye roll, his signature move. So here we are.

lovely backpedaling and moving goal posts.
You can pat yourself in the back.

"jokes on you, I was only pretending" maneuvers get old.
btw, you could at least write my name correctly.

Cesar R M

Yes but you really couldn't tell unless you were specifically looking for scenes shot in full IMAX.

The only problem with such a high resolution is that I noticed a couple of special effects shots where you could tell it was completely CGI and no practical effects or stuntmen were used. The guy noticed only one or two places where it really stood out.
These effects are usually on fast scenes, right?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Because there is no "all parks" category.
Use logic. :rolleyes:

lovely backpedaling and moving goal posts.
You can pat yourself in the back.

"jokes on you, I was only pretending" maneuvers get old.
btw, you could at least write my name correctly.

What's your problem? No reason to turn nothing into something.

PhotoDave219

These effects are usually on fast scenes, right?

Yes. Very fast.

I really want to see this film in 70 mm wide screen film projection… this is one of these films that should be shown on film it begs for high-end projection as opposed to a basic DLP projector at your local multiplex.

The two biggest things that I feel this film is lacking from Annapolis for your perspective is a lack of fanfare during the Lucasfilm logo and the sound of the projector from the back of the theater…

Goofyernmost

This may be a little tough to understand, but, all that scenery that you are talking about really doesn't exist except in the mind of the writer. It cannot be wrong, because it is part of someone else's imagination. If it doesn't agree with one's personal way it is imagined doesn't make it wrong, just different. Sorry, just wanted to interject a little sense into this discussion. Carry on!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom